Thielen’s release signals a new direction

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Thielen’s release signals a new direction

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

We all saw — Adam Thielen was released.

It’s the end of an era. AT’s image is in my signature. He’s been one of my favorite players for a long time. I remember him going off for more than 200 yards in a lopsided loss at Green Bay, after which I declared him better than Jordy Nelson. People laughed at the time, but as it turned out, he was.

But he’s not that player anymore. And with a $20 million cap hit for 2023 along with his demand for a bigger role in the offense, it was time to let him go. I’m glad the team gave him a great tribute. He deserves it, as well as a Ring of Honor designation at some point.

The real story, though, is that the Vikings DID NOT designate him as a post-June 1 cut, so they save only $6 million to the cap in 2023 instead of $13 million. Why on earth would they do that?

They’re clearing the books for 2024.

By cutting him pre-June 1, his cap hit comes off the books after this year. All the dead money is due now. They did the same thing with Eric Kendricks. My guess is they’ll do that with everyone they cut.

As a result, as it currently stands, the Vikings will have about $100 million in cap space next year.

That’s about the same as the Bears have this year. Two differences. The Vikings have a core of young players you can win with (JJ, Darrisaw, O’Neill, etc.). The Bears don’t, but they have a bounty of draft picks.

I like what the Vikings are doing. They’re putting themselves into a position of being able to extend the guys who are must-keep WITHOUT constantly being unable to put talent around them because of banging against the cap. The previous regime had a “keep our guys at all costs because they’re vets who know what they’re doing” mentality. This regime wants to take the fiscal position of “don’t overpay for something you can get for less.” Kwesi is about value.

This also portends what’s coming next. Za’Darius Smith … gone. Dalvin Cook … likely gone. Danielle Hunter … if he threatens to sit out (2023 salary is $5 million) they may well look for a trade partner. Harrison Smith … would not surprise me if he’s gone, although I think Flores may fight for him.

And then we have the biggest fish of all — Kirk Cousins. If he does not agree to a team-friendly extension, then it’s likely he’ll either be traded or will play out his contract for ‘23 and then walk.

Kwesi, it appears, is done kicking the cap can down the road. He’s setting up the Vikings for maximum financial flexibility starting in 2024. He said at the combine that such flexibility is what the Vikings value. I, for one, applaud it.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
makila
Franchise Player

Re: Thielen’s release signals a new direction

Post by makila »

Yeah the timing of the moves signals they are not gonna kick the cap can down the road anymore. I am all for it personally. Wanted it to happen 1-2 years ago. That's water under the bridge. Let's hard reset and stop pushing the cap hits down the road.

We have some very large extensions coming up. JJ, Darrisaw, Hockenson (more immediate), etc.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I love the fiscal direction Kwesi is taking the team in but he has a lot to be desired from a draft perspective after last year's showing. Granted it's way too early to write those players off but the first year results were lacking. I see them trading down again in an effort to acquire more picks. Kwesi is a smart guy that's for sure but that doesn't always translate to having a good eye for talent. The Hockenson trade was brilliant though.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

Thinking back to last off season a lot of folks were expecting a complete rebuild. In hindsight there must have been an agreement to run it back one more year before any major overhauls. Now it has become apparent that the new management and coaching is not afraid to make necessary but unpopular changes. It would have been interesting if they had retained Spielman as GM to see how he would have dealt with the cap mess he helped create. Regardless of who is in charge the was all going to come due and be a nightmare to correct.

I still think it’s going to take a few years to work through the roster. Last year’s draft didn’t turn out well so far but I don’t put that all on our new GM. Scouts and coaches have plenty of input and a large part of the GM’s duties is to make the input from the football side a reality if possible.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Kewsi legacy will be determined by his drafts. He needs to knock it out of the park a few times. Get some late round gems and don't miss with the 1st and 2nd round picks. If he fails at drafting it won't be good for him. He needs to unload these high dollar over 30 vets. They all had nice careers and made a ton of money. Hopefully his 1st draft yields a few quality starters this year. Time will tell.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Signed a 3-year deal with Carolina. Do we get draft compensation for him and anyone else we lose in FA? Can someone explain how this works?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

cmoss84 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:32 pm Signed a 3-year deal with Carolina. Do we get draft compensation for him and anyone else we lose in FA? Can someone explain how this works?
No, since we cut him, he doesn't qualify towards it. There is a formula they use...and to qualify for it you have to be an expiring contract (among other things).
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

He apparently got a really good deal too, I'm happy for him.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Adam chose Carolina and is emphasizing that he chose them because he thinks that they have a great shot at winning the SB. I'm left trying to decide whether AT is completely delusional and believes that the Panthers are, indeed, on the brink, or if he's just lying through his teeth because admitting publicly that you are only concerned with money and your family's financial future wasn't the look that he wanted.

I wish him the best and am glad he got paid (more than I was expecting), but I fully expect him to have a tough go in '23.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:01 pm Adam chose Carolina and is emphasizing that he chose them because he thinks that they have a great shot at winning the SB. I'm left trying to decide whether AT is completely delusional and believes that the Panthers are, indeed, on the brink, or if he's just lying through his teeth because admitting publicly that you are only concerned with money and your family's financial future wasn't the look that he wanted.

I wish him the best and am glad he got paid (more than I was expecting), but I fully expect him to have a tough go in '23.
I'll tell you who else will have a tough go in '23.

Whoever is playing quarterback for the Panthers if Thielen is WR1, as Thielen claims he'll be.

He's one of my favorite Vikings of all time. But he's no longer a WR1 and hasn't been for about 3 years.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Maybe he just wanted to make more money AND get more catches. Who can blame him. But I hope they have some kind of deeper threat because it wont be AT.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:29 pm Maybe he just wanted to make more money AND get more catches. Who can blame him. But I hope they have some kind of deeper threat because it wont be AT.
There's no problem with that whatsoever, but that's not what he's saying. I would respect him more if he were honest about his choice.

What I take issue with is the hypocrisy (saying he chose Carolina bc they're a contender) and the delusional quality about where his talent level is in 2023. He and his wife tainted his image a bit in my eyes with the way they handled his social media in the past 6 months. It's a bummer for a guy so many of us absolutely loved for so long. Ultimately, I guess it's that same feistiness and chip on his shoulder that made his improbable pro career possible, but at this point in his career it just looks silly.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:59 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:01 pm Adam chose Carolina and is emphasizing that he chose them because he thinks that they have a great shot at winning the SB. I'm left trying to decide whether AT is completely delusional and believes that the Panthers are, indeed, on the brink, or if he's just lying through his teeth because admitting publicly that you are only concerned with money and your family's financial future wasn't the look that he wanted.

I'll tell you who else will have a tough go in '23.

Whoever is playing quarterback for the Panthers if Thielen is WR1, as Thielen claims he'll be.

He's one of my favorite Vikings of all time. But he's no longer a WR1 and hasn't been for about 3 years.
I agree, Kapp, I think Carolina is doomed if they trot AT out as a WR1.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

So Thielen is lighting it up in Carolina. Why couldn't our offensive guru get production out of him and allow us to use our first round pick on defense or interior oline?
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:08 pm So Thielen is lighting it up in Carolina. Why couldn't our offensive guru get production out of him and allow us to use our first round pick on defense or interior oline?
Because, simply put, KO is a horrible HB, and I am questioning his plays and designs.