Is Rodgers done in Green Bay?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Is Rodgers done in Green Bay?

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:29 am I will take a jerk as a QB if it means competing for a SB.
Do you think Rodgers is capable of leading a team to a Superbowl at this point in his career?

Granted, he didn't have a lot to work with in Green Bay this year given the turnover on offense there, but I think the turnover on offense there has something to do with him specifically. Why would a great wide receiver like Davante Adams in the prime of his career want to go play with David Carr in Las Vegas when he could pile up yardage and TDs with an established All Pro like Rodgers in Green Bay? Maybe money had to do with it, but I got the distinct impression that Adams just didn't like Rodgers. I got that impression from others in the Packer organization as well.

Some QBs are just like that - they're physically gifted and capable of making amazing throws, but they're also selfish and self-absorbed a$$holes who don't care about the teams they lead or the people that play on them or support them. As a result, nobody follows them when it gets tough, because they themselves usually shrink in those moments when the big plays need to be made and it takes some self sacrifice to make those plays.

People criticize Cousins for not rising to the critical moments in games, or at least did before most of this year (with the notable exception being that final throw short of the sticks on 4th down against the Giants in the playoffs). But Rodgers does the same thing, only he historically waits to do that in the NFC Championship games. If you look at the teams he's been on for most of his time in Green Bay he's had an excellent supporting cast both on offense and defense, maybe the best overall talent in the NFC if not the entire league for many of those years. And yet somehow, in THE biggest moments, he still fell short. Consistently.

With a guy like Favre, you were going to get something spectacular in the biggest moments. It might not have been the result the fans of the team wanted, but it would be spectacular and Favre never went quietly into the night. Rodgers, not so much. All year long he coasted and cruised most of the time, having to come up with a handful of big plays which in many cases were helped along either by opposing defensive failures or exceptional plays on the part of his teammates. But in the big moments in the big games, Rodgers would fade.

I wouldn't want Rodgers on the Vikings. I wanted Favre when he was available, mostly because Favre never went down without a fight. But Rodgers would just be a slightly better version of Cousins with worse team chemistry following him along like the dust cloud around Pig Pen in Charlie Brown. He couldn't get much deeper and more talented Packers teams past the NFC Championship Game despite having multiple cracks at it, and I have no doubt he'd do at best the same on a less-talented overall Vikings team. He'd come with all the figurative and literal costs of Kirk Cousins with the slight hope of a marginally better, but still woefully insufficient, end result.

I'll pass. I hope KAM finds that missing genie lamp this offseason, rubs it and finally figures out how to find and acquire the next great NFL QB this offseason who spends a year learning behind Cousins and then breaks out.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:22 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:29 am I will take a jerk as a QB if it means competing for a SB.
Do you think Rodgers is capable of leading a team to a Superbowl at this point in his career?

Granted, he didn't have a lot to work with in Green Bay this year given the turnover on offense there, but I think the turnover on offense there has something to do with him specifically. Why would a great wide receiver like Davante Adams in the prime of his career want to go play with David Carr in Las Vegas when he could pile up yardage and TDs with an established All Pro like Rodgers in Green Bay? Maybe money had to do with it, but I got the distinct impression that Adams just didn't like Rodgers. I got that impression from others in the Packer organization as well.

Some QBs are just like that - they're physically gifted and capable of making amazing throws, but they're also selfish and self-absorbed a$$holes who don't care about the teams they lead or the people that play on them or support them. As a result, nobody follows them when it gets tough, because they themselves usually shrink in those moments when the big plays need to be made and it takes some self sacrifice to make those plays.

People criticize Cousins for not rising to the critical moments in games, or at least did before most of this year (with the notable exception being that final throw short of the sticks on 4th down against the Giants in the playoffs). But Rodgers does the same thing, only he historically waits to do that in the NFC Championship games. If you look at the teams he's been on for most of his time in Green Bay he's had an excellent supporting cast both on offense and defense, maybe the best overall talent in the NFC if not the entire league for many of those years. And yet somehow, in THE biggest moments, he still fell short. Consistently.

With a guy like Favre, you were going to get something spectacular in the biggest moments. It might not have been the result the fans of the team wanted, but it would be spectacular and Favre never went quietly into the night. Rodgers, not so much. All year long he coasted and cruised most of the time, having to come up with a handful of big plays which in many cases were helped along either by opposing defensive failures or exceptional plays on the part of his teammates. But in the big moments in the big games, Rodgers would fade.

I wouldn't want Rodgers on the Vikings. I wanted Favre when he was available, mostly because Favre never went down without a fight. But Rodgers would just be a slightly better version of Cousins with worse team chemistry following him along like the dust cloud around Pig Pen in Charlie Brown. He couldn't get much deeper and more talented Packers teams past the NFC Championship Game despite having multiple cracks at it, and I have no doubt he'd do at best the same on a less-talented overall Vikings team. He'd come with all the figurative and literal costs of Kirk Cousins with the slight hope of a marginally better, but still woefully insufficient, end result.

I'll pass. I hope KAM finds that missing genie lamp this offseason, rubs it and finally figures out how to find and acquire the next great NFL QB this offseason who spends a year learning behind Cousins and then breaks out.
Every analyst and football expert called Stafford the biggest loser ever. Sorry he was second to Cousins. He's won as many SBs as Farve and Rodgers. Farve had one good year with us but gave the championship game away with a choke job last pass. That team was miles better than this hunk of junk we have now. Still couldn't do it. Does anybody think SB winner Stafford could take us to the SB? With this OL he would get knocked out. I have no idea how a guy with zero movement just won a SB. I thought things have changed and that was impossible. Luck? No they can block and play solid D. Same story different day.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

A good point. I would bet on him being that guy next season, maybe not in two though when the Vikings would actually have a shot at getting him.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

You brought up some good points.

I for one believe Rodgers is still a top 10 QB capable of winning it all on the right team.

In regards to Adams leaving, I'd be willing to bet within his list of reasons to leave, thinking Rodgers was no longer good enough to win was likely at the very bottom, and more likely not on it at all.

Carr is his best friend and former college teammate. The money was likely better. Not to mention you'd have to compare living and working in Green Bay, Wisconsin to living and working in Las Vegas. Now Carr is gone and even so I doubt he regrets his decision.
i'm ready for a beer.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

My wife is packer fan all the way,
She is fed up with Rodgers. Grand son as well. They wanted love last season.. grand son was a Rodgers fan. No more
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Here’s a quote from an article in The Athletic about Rodgers in Green Bay. The article is about Russell Wilson and his disastrous first season in Denver, but it talks about the Packers because of Nathaniel Hackett and his time as Aaron Rodgers’ quarterbacks coach. This paragraph is telling …
Hackett was Green Bay’s offensive coordinator in 2019, the year first-time head coach Matt LaFleur took over after Aaron Rodgers spent 13 years in Mike McCarthy’s offense. Early in the partnership, multiple Packers players said LaFleur would sometimes present a new concept or play in an offensive meeting only to have Rodgers shoot it down.
I get that a veteran, HOF-level quarterback would have input. But the ability to approve or disapprove? That’s a bridge too far, IMO. But am I surprised? Not in the least. Rodgers has always been a self-indulgent jerk. Don’t know about you all, but I would never want that attitude on the Vikings, no matter the name associated with it.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

vikeinmontana wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:39 pm I for one believe Rodgers is still a top 10 QB capable of winning it all on the right team.
What team(s) do you think Rodgers would be able to get closer to a Superbowl than the one he's already on?

Be interesting to see where he ends up if he ends up anywhere other than the Packers next year. I can think of a few teams that would make a play to trade for him, but none where he'd be the missing piece to their Superbowl puzzle.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:18 pm
vikeinmontana wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:39 pm I for one believe Rodgers is still a top 10 QB capable of winning it all on the right team.
What team(s) do you think Rodgers would be able to get closer to a Superbowl than the one he's already on?

Be interesting to see where he ends up if he ends up anywhere other than the Packers next year. I can think of a few teams that would make a play to trade for him, but none where he'd be the missing piece to their Superbowl puzzle.
I don't disagree. I didn't say he'd have to leave Green Bay. I think in Green Bay he's still a top 10 QB capable of winning it all.

I think if he decides to go to another team, we'll see based on the money he's offered that many in the NFL still believe he's a Top 10 QB. And I believe in the current NFL, having a top QB gives you a shot at winning the whole thing.

I was just suggesting there is a plethora of reasons why a QB like him would choose to leave Green Bay, Wisconsin; many that may not be directly related to football.
i'm ready for a beer.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I think the team that Rodgers and even Cousins would fit and compete for a SB is the 49ers. IMO they have the best all around team but keep getting beat in the Champ game. I also think Rodgers would improve Dallas. They have a solid team with a good defense, good OL and some weapons on O. Seems Dak always falls flat. Sure they creamed the Giants as they did in the regular season even with a backup. But the 49ers dropped them. Scoring only 12 is a joke. Throwing 2 picks and averaging 5.5 per attempt is a big problem and something needs to change. Their team only allowed 19.
SunyP
Practice Squad

Post by SunyP »

CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:28 pm I think the team that Rodgers and even Cousins would fit and compete for a SB is the 49ers. IMO they have the best all around team but keep getting beat in the Champ game. I also think Rodgers would improve Dallas. They have a solid team with a good defense, good OL and some weapons on O. Seems Dak always falls flat. Sure they creamed the Giants as they did in the regular season even with a backup. But the 49ers dropped them. Scoring only 12 is a joke. Throwing 2 picks and averaging 5.5 per attempt is a big problem and something needs to change. Their team only allowed 19.
Chances of AR to GB are about zero..He's single handily go McCarthy fired.
Chances of AR to SF almost as bad... Shanahan will not put up with his BS
At this point in time, I don't see many teams giving much for him due to the baggage that comes with him.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:05 am Here’s a quote from an article in The Athletic about Rodgers in Green Bay. The article is about Russell Wilson and his disastrous first season in Denver, but it talks about the Packers because of Nathaniel Hackett and his time as Aaron Rodgers’ quarterbacks coach. This paragraph is telling …
Hackett was Green Bay’s offensive coordinator in 2019, the year first-time head coach Matt LaFleur took over after Aaron Rodgers spent 13 years in Mike McCarthy’s offense. Early in the partnership, multiple Packers players said LaFleur would sometimes present a new concept or play in an offensive meeting only to have Rodgers shoot it down.
I get that a veteran, HOF-level quarterback would have input. But the ability to approve or disapprove? That’s a bridge too far, IMO. But am I surprised? Not in the least. Rodgers has always been a self-indulgent jerk. Don’t know about you all, but I would never want that attitude on the Vikings, no matter the name associated with it.
Didn't Favre tell Childress to go F yourself. I'll handle the offense. Same thing Rodgers is doing. Childress had no clue about QBs or offense. I think he brought some guy in from Philly who sucked and then traded to draft a career backup. LaFleur drafted his QB so why is Rodgers even on the team. Why would any QB listen to a guy like that? Play your guy. Then gives a huge contract to Rodgers. Rodgers played him like a fiddle. He still sits there and takes it.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:53 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:05 am Here’s a quote from an article in The Athletic about Rodgers in Green Bay. The article is about Russell Wilson and his disastrous first season in Denver, but it talks about the Packers because of Nathaniel Hackett and his time as Aaron Rodgers’ quarterbacks coach. This paragraph is telling …

Didn't Favre tell Childress to go F yourself. I'll handle the offense. Same thing Rodgers is doing. Childress had no clue about QBs or offense. I think he brought some guy in from Philly who sucked and then traded to draft a career backup. LaFleur drafted his QB so why is Rodgers even on the team. Why would any QB listen to a guy like that? Play your guy. Then gives a huge contract to Rodgers. Rodgers played him like a fiddle. He still sits there and takes it.
Do you honestly think that's the best way for a franchise to run? I mean, if you do, then great. You're entitled to your opinion. I don't happen to share it. I'm ex-military. I believe in the chain of command. I know that when soldiers or sailors or marines start to freelance, that's when things fall apart. As Colonel Nathan Jessup said in A Few Good Men, "We follow orders, or people die." It's just a movie, but it's true.

It's the organization's responsibility to hire coaches who have the chops to make solid calls. If you don't hire such a coach, then your team has no chance anyway. Childress proved that, even with Favre. Rodgers has proven it over and over. He was young when he won his Super Bowl. He followed orders better than he does now.

I can tell you this. The Packers believe Jordan Love is ready. To back this statement, here are some excerpts from a long article by Ty Dunne on Go Long about Jordan Love.
In the Packers’ minds, so much changed between Year 2 and Year 3 of the backup’s growth. Love became the ideal point guard for the offense LaFleur wants to run; as opposed to an Adams-less Rodgers still trying to rely on a vast encyclopedia of audibles.
With Adams off to Vegas, the Packers drafted three receivers — Christian Watson (34th overall), Romeo Doubs (132nd), Samori Toure (258th). The QB [Rodgers] did not work with these new players during OTAs.

For the record, Jordan Love DID work with them, taking all the QB1 reps during OTAs, while Rodgers did psychedelic drugs and grew his Nicolas Cage hair.
One offensive player estimated to Go Long that Rodgers changed about a third of the plays last season.
Rodgers is capable of audibling to a perfect play called three or four years ago. As Marquez Valdes-Scantling once explained to us, there are two playbooks in one. Tens upon tens of thousands of reps is what fueled a freaky rapport with the likes of Jordy Nelson and Davante Adams.
With vets, this is poetry in motion. With rookies… not so much.

Hence, the 4-8 start.
For three years, Love meticulously mastered LaFleur’s offense. What he lacked in Rodgers’ MacOS of audibles, he gained in turning himself into a direct reflection of everything LaFleur wants out of his QB. One recent ex-Packer (who’s staunchly pro-Rodgers) believes that while LaFleur never calls out Rodgers publicly, he cannot wait to work with Love.
Aaron can check to a play they schemed up two years ago. Aaron and maybe a couple other players on the offense actually know it and everybody else is like, ‘Oh wait, wait. What was that?’ Because they were just installed so long ago. Love starting will have everybody on the same page because everybody would know the same playbook and not be able to go back from an install from three years ago to try to draw from that. Everybody would be on the same page.
Say what you want, but most teams don't want the quarterback freelancing THAT much.

I think what O'Connell has done with Cousins is brilliant. He gives Kirk the ability to audible, but he's instructed to audible to plays the team has decided upon based on the look the defense gives, and they're plays everybody knows and has repped. From everything I can find about Matt LaFleur, that's what he wants to do with Jordan Love.

I'm not in the predicting game, especially when it comes to other teams. But I'd be very surprised if Aaron Rodgers is a Packer in 2023.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:27 pm
CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:53 pm
Do you honestly think that's the best way for a franchise to run? I mean, if you do, then great. You're entitled to your opinion. I don't happen to share it. I'm ex-military. I believe in the chain of command. I know that when soldiers or sailors or marines start to freelance, that's when things fall apart. As Colonel Nathan Jessup said in A Few Good Men, "We follow orders, or people die." It's just a movie, but it's true.

It's the organization's responsibility to hire coaches who have the chops to make solid calls. If you don't hire such a coach, then your team has no chance anyway. Childress proved that, even with Favre. Rodgers has proven it over and over. He was young when he won his Super Bowl. He followed orders better than he does now.

I can tell you this. The Packers believe Jordan Love is ready. To back this statement, here are some excerpts from a long article by Ty Dunne on Go Long about Jordan Love.
In the Packers’ minds, so much changed between Year 2 and Year 3 of the backup’s growth. Love became the ideal point guard for the offense LaFleur wants to run; as opposed to an Adams-less Rodgers still trying to rely on a vast encyclopedia of audibles.
With Adams off to Vegas, the Packers drafted three receivers — Christian Watson (34th overall), Romeo Doubs (132nd), Samori Toure (258th). The QB [Rodgers] did not work with these new players during OTAs.

For the record, Jordan Love DID work with them, taking all the QB1 reps during OTAs, while Rodgers did psychedelic drugs and grew his Nicolas Cage hair.
One offensive player estimated to Go Long that Rodgers changed about a third of the plays last season.
Rodgers is capable of audibling to a perfect play called three or four years ago. As Marquez Valdes-Scantling once explained to us, there are two playbooks in one. Tens upon tens of thousands of reps is what fueled a freaky rapport with the likes of Jordy Nelson and Davante Adams.
With vets, this is poetry in motion. With rookies… not so much.

Hence, the 4-8 start.
For three years, Love meticulously mastered LaFleur’s offense. What he lacked in Rodgers’ MacOS of audibles, he gained in turning himself into a direct reflection of everything LaFleur wants out of his QB. One recent ex-Packer (who’s staunchly pro-Rodgers) believes that while LaFleur never calls out Rodgers publicly, he cannot wait to work with Love.
Aaron can check to a play they schemed up two years ago. Aaron and maybe a couple other players on the offense actually know it and everybody else is like, ‘Oh wait, wait. What was that?’ Because they were just installed so long ago. Love starting will have everybody on the same page because everybody would know the same playbook and not be able to go back from an install from three years ago to try to draw from that. Everybody would be on the same page.
Say what you want, but most teams don't want the quarterback freelancing THAT much.

I think what O'Connell has done with Cousins is brilliant. He gives Kirk the ability to audible, but he's instructed to audible to plays the team has decided upon based on the look the defense gives, and they're plays everybody knows and has repped. From everything I can find about Matt LaFleur, that's what he wants to do with Jordan Love.

I'm not in the predicting game, especially when it comes to other teams. But I'd be very surprised if Aaron Rodgers is a Packer in 2023.
I never said it was the best way. I pointed out that Favre did the same thing. Tarkenton was traded from our team because of problems with the HC Van Brocklin who hated his running around. Rodgers has always been about himself. He fell in the draft for a reason and it certainly wasn't physical or a no need deal. He probably came across in interviews as a jerk. No team will ever say that of course. Rodgers was pissed when Love was selected. He felt they needed help at other positions. He was right. Rodgers leaving has been going on for a few seasons now. Eventually it will happen that's a guarantee. I don't know why he was there this year. They are going through a rebuild and don't have much at WR from the experience side and need help on the OL If Love is so good as all the written stuff shows he'd be in the lineup. Somethings wrong but nobody will ever say it or print it.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

The deal with the Jets is done. Onto the Love let's hope it's not a HOF QB Trifecta. I can't remember the last time the Pack cycled through bad QBs. I guess the magic man was before Farve. Looks like history is repeating itself. Maybe Rodgers will be with us next year. It wouldn't surprise me.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »