PHP's Official Vikings Mock Offseason

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: PHP's Official Vikings Mock Offseason

Post by VikingLord »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:08 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:02 pm

Call your shot, what happens next? Thielen cut?

Some big moves on other teams too: Carr to Saints, Daniel Jones signed by Giants for 4 years @ 160 million! (He should give Donatell a part of that, honestly). Sounds like Derek Henry is being shopped and Saquon may be as well. Tis the season for big moves.
haha Thielen next, Hicks to follow!
Honestly, when I read your mock for this offseason, I pretty much agreed with all of it save perhaps where you had some of the guys still being available in the draft. Schmitz, for example, is doing everything in his power to move up boards and succeeding as I see it, while I think a guy like Hooker goes earlier due to the position he plays being over-valued. But in terms of the players themselves, I loved your mock and if it turns out that way I'll be ecstatic.

So here's hoping it turns out that way! :beerock:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:31 pm

Honestly, when I read your mock for this offseason, I pretty much agreed with all of it save perhaps where you had some of the guys still being available in the draft. Schmitz, for example, is doing everything in his power to move up boards and succeeding as I see it, while I think a guy like Hooker goes earlier due to the position he plays being over-valued. But in terms of the players themselves, I loved your mock and if it turns out that way I'll be ecstatic.

So here's hoping it turns out that way! :beerock:
Thanks brother!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:02 pm

Call your shot, what happens next? Thielen cut?

Some big moves on other teams too: Carr to Saints, Daniel Jones signed by Giants for 4 years @ 160 million! (He should give Donatell a part of that, honestly). Sounds like Derek Henry is being shopped and Saquon may be as well. Tis the season for big moves.
3 for 3, Thielen just released. I'm going to look back on this in about 2 weeks and I'm going to be about 3 for 30 :lol:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Thoughts on the Z Smith situation?

Wonder if they asked him to take a pay cut and he said release me.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

makila wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:37 am Thoughts on the Z Smith situation?

He'd be the leading rusher in free agency and would potentially make a killing. I'm assuming that's mostly the reason.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

makila wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:37 am Thoughts on the Z Smith situation?

Yeah I had us trading him in this mock. To be honest, I'd try and trade him regardless. I'm not sure if I really want him anymore anyways. Reason being and it's why I traded him in this mock, his salary is a huge savings, he's 31, he's proved he couldnt stay healthy and I'd like to get younger in that spot. I'd much rather go get a guy like Arden Key for half the cost or draft an edge guy.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Pondering, you're turning out to be very prescient.

It looks like a Cook trade is likely. Dantzler wasn't traded, but was released, so he's gone.

Thielen also gone. I hate to see him go, but he seemed less effective last year. Would have liked if they could have worked out something to keep him in Purple, but it does clear space on the roster and creates a clear opportunity for someone to win the WR2 job this coming year.

Z. Smith is probably gone as well with the trade request news. Not sure if he gets traded or released but his contract didn't match his production for most of the last season. He started out so well but I think the Vikings learned what the Packers already knew and that is he can't play at that high level for an entire season, and thus can't justify a large contract. I personally don't think he'll garner all that much in trade and might end up just being another outright release no matter what the team says publicly at this point. If they're saying they don't want to release him it's most likely a ploy to convince another team to offer a trade, but I doubt anyone will go for that. Hope I'm wrong because losing him creates a pretty dire need for an edge defender opposite Hunter, but maybe the Vikings like one of the young OLBs they have or feel they can get a replacement in the draft.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:38 pm Pondering, you're turning out to be very prescient.

It looks like a Cook trade is likely. Dantzler wasn't traded, but was released, so he's gone.

Thielen also gone. I hate to see him go, but he seemed less effective last year. Would have liked if they could have worked out something to keep him in Purple, but it does clear space on the roster and creates a clear opportunity for someone to win the WR2 job this coming year.

Z. Smith is probably gone as well with the trade request news. Not sure if he gets traded or released but his contract didn't match his production for most of the last season. He started out so well but I think the Vikings learned what the Packers already knew and that is he can't play at that high level for an entire season, and thus can't justify a large contract. I personally don't think he'll garner all that much in trade and might end up just being another outright release no matter what the team says publicly at this point. If they're saying they don't want to release him it's most likely a ploy to convince another team to offer a trade, but I doubt anyone will go for that. Hope I'm wrong because losing him creates a pretty dire need for an edge defender opposite Hunter, but maybe the Vikings like one of the young OLBs they have or feel they can get a replacement in the draft.
I'm surprised they released Dantzler. Flores must have watched his tape and said, "nope, we're moving on." This is turning into the Red Wedding, a blood bath. I guess this is the rebuild part of "competitive rebuild."
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Texas Vike wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:23 pm
VikingLord wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:38 pm Pondering, you're turning out to be very prescient.

I'm surprised they released Dantzler. Flores must have watched his tape and said, "nope, we're moving on." This is turning into the Red Wedding, a blood bath. I guess this is the rebuild part of "competitive rebuild."
I think most fans knew this turnover on the roster had to occur at some point. Many thought last year was finally the time, and we kicked it down the road another season. It's been inevitable it was coming though. I know you are realistic about it.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

This is honestly exactly as predicted, imo. I expect Hicks released today, Z traded today, and then some potential other moves may happen. Restructuring O'Neill makes sense, but I am a little concerned about his Achilles injury. Tough to overcome and play at an elite level.
Going to be getting younger and faster on defense.
Again.... I am still surprised by Dantzler being cut, unless KAM and Flores already has a dude ready to come in.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Also, PHP, great job on your Mock. I really like a lot of it. I have targeted some different players in particular but very similar in position.
Right now, I am all in on trading away our 1st pick. To me, I want as many picks in the 2nd and then 3rd as possible this year, but we do not have many and need to move around to do so. That is where the value is imo.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

makila wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:52 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:23 pm

I think most fans knew this turnover on the roster had to occur at some point. Many thought last year was finally the time, and we kicked it down the road another season. It's been inevitable it was coming though. I know you are realistic about it.
I'm not at all surprised about Thielen or Kendricks, but I am surprised by Dantzler. I've been reading that there were likely some character issues involved (both with Zimmer and with KOC), which explains why we would release a young CB who is at least average, despite not having any CB depth.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Texas Vike wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:23 pm I'm surprised they released Dantzler. Flores must have watched his tape and said, "nope, we're moving on." This is turning into the Red Wedding, a blood bath. I guess this is the rebuild part of "competitive rebuild."
As far as Dantzler is concerned, there must be more to it than the public is aware of. He never impressed me during his time with the team, and I'll always remember him as the DB who gave up the game-winning TD against Detroit to lose a game the Vikings should have won. Another thing that will stand out for Dantzler was his play (also against Detroit) this last year where he was involved in that deep TD pass scored by Williams. Dantzler was in what appeared to be man coverage on the play, but then let Williams release on a deep crossing route. Bynum was in the area but didn't appear aware of what Williams was doing, which left him wide open for the easiest score he'll ever have in his life. I was never sure who screwed up on that play and was inclined to think Bynum because he was the safety, but now I'm sure it was Dantzler who was supposed to maintain coverage on the route. Plays like that kill a secondary and kill a team. Good riddance.

As for the competitive rebuild, that appears to be over. I suspected KAM was willing to play along with the Wilfs on that given they clearly thought they had the makings of a winner last year, but I also suspected KAM told them he would aggressively reshape the team if they failed to compete for a Superbowl, which was the case. KAM needs to clear salaries and cap and shed a lot of the older players who will not be around for the next run. I strongly believe he has zero interest in extending Cousins, even if that means the Vikings have to eat the cap cost this year. KAM most likely wants to move on there too, which also indicates to me he'll take a swing at a QB in this year's draft or, at the latest, next year's draft.

Red wedding or not, the Vikings weren't going to get close to a Superbowl with last year's personnel. I am actually encouraged that KAM and KOC seem to realize that and are taking decisive actions, even if painful in the shorter term, to get the team on a footing where they can be competitive for more than a division title.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Jordan Hicks just restructured. I thought he would go. Looked like he had trouble covering. That saves looking for another LBer.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

PP to Pittsburgh for two years today. CB group is getting lean. Assume we are gonna sign someone or two and draft one or two if we can acquire a few more picks.... dalvin trade maybe?