Let's Make Another Hockenson-Type Trade!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Let's Make Another Hockenson-Type Trade!

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

So as I'm working on my mock offseason, I'm really looking into making another big trade and the idea I have I've became obsessed with. I'm not sure who or what we would give up yet but I think trading for Broncos WR Jerry Jeudy would be a massive pickup for this team. To me, Jeudy is a perfect compliment to JJ. As we know, Thielen served a lot of good years here but it is time to move on as he can no longer be trusted as a WR2 due to his age. If you look at a team like the Bengals that have 1a/1b WRs, it's very difficult to stop. JJ was slowed down a bit in some games due to aggressive double and triple teams and teams gearing absolutely everything towards him. Teams cannot put these double teams on someone like Jamar Chase because Higgins can burn them on any given play. This would be Jeudy for us IMO. The Broncos are sort of a disaster even after hiring Payton and just gave up a bunch of draft capital to do it. Jeudy is still under a rookie contract (similar to Hock) and is a huge piece we could extend and build for the future. This would prevent us from having to dip into WRs in the early rounds of the draft and we can allocate our picks elsewhere. It would also prevent us from signing a average to below average FA WR (the FA pool is pretty weak this year). I think Jeudy is easily the best option here.

Interested to see what you guys think on maybe what we could trade them. Picks only? Players only? A combo of both? Which veterans would Denver want? Lets not forget, another reason this is so tempting... George Paton. He is the GM in Denver now and was part of drafting a good chunk of these veterans on the Vikings that we now need to move on from and I'm sure there would be one or two he would take if the price is right.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Let's Make Another Hockenson-Type Trade!

Post by Texas Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:45 am So as I'm working on my mock offseason, I'm really looking into making another big trade and the idea I have I've became obsessed with. I'm not sure who or what we would give up yet but I think trading for Broncos WR Jerry Jeudy would be a massive pickup for this team. To me, Jeudy is a perfect compliment to JJ. As we know, Thielen served a lot of good years here but it is time to move on as he can no longer be trusted as a WR2 due to his age. If you look at a team like the Bengals that have 1a/1b WRs, it's very difficult to stop. JJ was slowed down a bit in some games due to aggressive double and triple teams and teams gearing absolutely everything towards him. Teams cannot put these double teams on someone like Jamar Chase because Higgins can burn them on any given play. This would be Jeudy for us IMO. The Broncos are sort of a disaster even after hiring Payton and just gave up a bunch of draft capital to do it. Jeudy is still under a rookie contract (similar to Hock) and is a huge piece we could extend and build for the future. This would prevent us from having to dip into WRs in the early rounds of the draft and we can allocate our picks elsewhere. It would also prevent us from signing a average to below average FA WR (the FA pool is pretty weak this year). I think Jeudy is easily the best option here.

Interested to see what you guys think on maybe what we could trade them. Picks only? Players only? A combo of both? Which veterans would Denver want? Lets not forget, another reason this is so tempting... George Paton. He is the GM in Denver now and was part of drafting a good chunk of these veterans on the Vikings that we now need to move on from and I'm sure there would be one or two he would take if the price is right.
I think it all depends on how Payton values and views Jeudy. My gut says that he's pretty high on him and therefore would not be too keen on parting with him. With Jevonte's injury, MAYBE you could offer Dalvin for Jeudy, but I doubt they would do that deal.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:45 am So as I'm working on my mock offseason, I'm really looking into making another big trade and the idea I have I've became obsessed with. I'm not sure who or what we would give up yet but I think trading for Broncos WR Jerry Jeudy would be a massive pickup for this team. To me, Jeudy is a perfect compliment to JJ. As we know, Thielen served a lot of good years here but it is time to move on as he can no longer be trusted as a WR2 due to his age. If you look at a team like the Bengals that have 1a/1b WRs, it's very difficult to stop. JJ was slowed down a bit in some games due to aggressive double and triple teams and teams gearing absolutely everything towards him. Teams cannot put these double teams on someone like Jamar Chase because Higgins can burn them on any given play. This would be Jeudy for us IMO. The Broncos are sort of a disaster even after hiring Payton and just gave up a bunch of draft capital to do it. Jeudy is still under a rookie contract (similar to Hock) and is a huge piece we could extend and build for the future. This would prevent us from having to dip into WRs in the early rounds of the draft and we can allocate our picks elsewhere. It would also prevent us from signing a average to below average FA WR (the FA pool is pretty weak this year). I think Jeudy is easily the best option here.

No more offense. This defense needs some teeth. Find me a defensive player (hopefully Dline) to talk about.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:02 am

No more offense. This defense needs some teeth. Find me a defensive player (hopefully Dline) to talk about.
This offense is going to be in desperate need for a WR if we dont want JJ eventually leaving or getting frustrated. Thielen is as good as gone. KJ is not a guy thats going to take any double or triple teams away from JJ. Hockenson helps but not enough to lighten JJ's load. Again, look at Jamar Chase. Maybe not at JJs level but awfully close. He isnt getting doubled and tripled all game because teams cant afford to do it with the threat of Higgins.

Defense does need some teeth but we can get those teeth in free agency and the draft. We need a WR at some point. Either free agency, the draft or a trade. The free agency market is pretty weak. The draft is going to take away from drafting an early round defensive player which we both agree we desperately need. I think trading for a WR like Jeudy is a great move. Imagine Jefferson, Jeudy and Hockenson. Name a better 2WR, 1TE trio in the league.
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:00 am

I think it all depends on how Payton values and views Jeudy. My gut says that he's pretty high on him and therefore would not be too keen on parting with him. With Jevonte's injury, MAYBE you could offer Dalvin for Jeudy, but I doubt they would do that deal.
Yeah this is what I'm trying to figure out. What about ZaDarius? Even though he's not a Paton guy, Denver has ran dry on pass rushers.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:38 am
Texas Vike wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:00 am

Yeah this is what I'm trying to figure out. What about ZaDarius? Even though he's not a Paton guy, Denver has ran dry on pass rushers.
Zadarius stays based on whoever the new DC is. I am assuming it will be Flores and I think he is a 3-4 guy. Not that knowledgeable of him besides that he runs an aggressive blitz-heavy scheme.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:46 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:38 am

Zadarius stays based on whoever the new DC is. I am assuming it will be Flores and I think he is a 3-4 guy. Not that knowledgeable of him besides that he runs an aggressive blitz-heavy scheme.
The only thing with Zadarius though, he saves over $12 million in cap space. Saves more than any other player on the roster could if we move him. His contract is great in terms of moving on whenever we want to. Unlike Harrison Smith and Thielen who's contracts are a nightmare.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:00 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:46 pm

The only thing with Zadarius though, he saves over $12 million in cap space. Saves more than any other player on the roster could if we move him. His contract is great in terms of moving on whenever we want to. Unlike Harrison Smith and Thielen who's contracts are a nightmare.
Yes but he also adds the most value to the team (when healthy). Not only is he well-liked but a game changer. If the new DC runs a 3-4, he is a must keep. I believe Hunter will demand a trade if no new contact or 3-4 installed. Either way, either Danielle or Smith is gone.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

How much will it cost to extend him? We also have JJ who will be top paid. Can only dump so much into a position group without taking away from another group. Hopefully this group is managing the cap better than that. We had a ton of cap in LBers last year and it didn't do much good. Matter of fact in did nothing. So maybe they aren't no better than Speilman. Just throwing it against the wall again. Hope something sticks.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:31 pm

Yes but he also adds the most value to the team (when healthy).
Gotta disagree there. Granted he was on a good pace early on but also played that scheme his whole life. Hunter showed he was the better player by seasons end and also showed he can stay healthy. Smith was banged up again but played through it. His body is starting to fail him, that’s pretty obvious at this point.
Not only is he well-liked but a game changer. If the new DC runs a 3-4, he is a must keep. I believe Hunter will demand a trade if no new contact or 3-4 installed. Either way, either Danielle or Smith is gone.
I don’t think he’s a must keep at all, 3-4 or not. He’s got the best contract on the team in terms of us being able to let him go with a small dead money penalty. Contracts like Harrison’s and Thielens are absolutely brutal. In my opinion, smith is the easiest out. Trust me, I like him as a leader and a player, but something is going to have to give, and I’d much rather it be smith than hunter
-Chazz Palminteri
MossCarterJefferson
Rookie

Post by MossCarterJefferson »

I do not want Jeudy, he has too many drops and Vikings need their draft picks to draft defense since the defense is a problem, not the offense
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

MossCarterJefferson wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:02 pm I do not want Jeudy, he has too many drops and Vikings need their draft picks to draft defense since the defense is a problem, not the offense
Not sure where you’re getting the drop claim from. He’s nowhere near the top of the league in drops. He had near 1k yards in a terrible offense. Jerry Jeudy is a stud stuck in a bad offense

And this offense is going to 100% be in trouble without a legitimate number 2. When teams shut down JJ this year, we typically lost. I’m not sure how people aren’t seeing that. Towards the end of the year people figured us out and we don’t have another WR to take any pressure away from JJ. That’s a problem. A big one that is going to cause JJ to get frustrated when he’s not getting the ball or getting tripled all game.

I’m not sure who you’re expecting our #2 to be
-Chazz Palminteri
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I am on board PHP, just do not think that they will be willing to part with him. They like him minus his contested drops as a rookie. They would be more willing to part with Sutton, IMO, who has a much higher contract. However, they are still $11m under the cap, so I do not know if they break up their WR tandem!
However, they need draft picks!
I think that there may be some teams out there that are looking to get away from some salary. A team in dire need to do something financially is Tampa Bay. $55m over the cap! Mike Evans is 29 and coming up on a contract year. It would be interesting to see if that is available.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

I know this gets really old since its been like over a decade that I have been beating this dead horse......Nothing matters till we have good players on the OL/DL. More skill-player flash will only lead to flash in the pan seasons like we just had. No line = No Championships. I just cant get excited about one and done seasons like we get every few years. Its just a waste of time.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Adding a great 2nd WR is absolutely a path to building a championship caliber team. I don't know if trading for that receiver is the right way of acquiring him though and would attempt to draft one with that 23rd overall pick.

Unlike with TE, WRs don't take multiple years to develop and you can draft a WR this season and have them contribute in a big way right away. It is also a position where it seems like you are just as likely to get a good one at pick 23 as you would at pick 10. Drafting one this year gives the Vikings 4 seasons of cheap play compared to just the one for Jeudy, and with how much WRs are making now, a rookie WR contract is almost as valuable as a QB rookie contract.

Of course, there is no guarantee that a WR worth a 1st round pick falls to the Vikings at 23, and if that happens then maybe you look at Jeudy to go all in on 2023, making a draft day trade similar to what the Eagles did last year.

Is going all in on 2023 the right move though? The defense will almost certainly be terrible again next season and the interior of the Oline will still be bad. Having 3 great receivers (Hock, JJ and Jeudy) and a bad Oline is the recipe Cincy has used to success (albeit with a better QB), but they also had a pretty good defense. You add Jeudy and this team becomes the type of team Denny trotted out each season. Fun to watch in the regular season, but no real shot in the postseason.