PHP's Mini Mock Offseason

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: PHP's Mini Mock Offseason

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:37 am
CharVike wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:08 am
In his first start against the Bears this season he didn't even complete 50% of his passes. No thanks you can find that anywhere. He will be a cheap backup/change of pace QB for them. The 49ers missed on that deal but they made up for it with Purdy. If there's a GM of the year it has to be the 49er person. Purdy saved the season for them.
Lol, listen to yourself. "in his first start he didn't even complete 50% of his passes", so no thanks? The guy was playing in a downpour and we all should know by now that the first game of the season rarely tells us how the entire season will go. Not to mention you have QBs like Allen and Hurts who took almost two whole seasons to become great passers, and you are writing him off after one game?

I can almost guarantee I have watched more of Trey Lance than anyone else on here and can tell you he has all the tools you want out of a modern NFL QB. He has the arm, he has the mobility, he has the size and he has the decision making to be a great QB, which is why the "GM of the year" traded multiple 1sts for the opportunity to draft him.

It doesn't matter though, because I do not believe he will be available for a trade next season. My guess is that they keep him around and as much as I want Purdy to be great, his game reminds me a bit too much of Nick Foles.
I watched the highlights. People act like it was a torrential down pour the whole game. Yes the field was wet. Fields threw a couple TDs. Lance might turn out to be a great QB. Your talking a very high pick. This isn't some 5th round stiff. The GM made a deal which he felt was worth it. He's built a solid roster so he knows talent. Purdy could fall flat on his face and Lance will take over. Foles was a better physical prospect than Purdy. I don't know what "modern" means for a QB. Last years Super Bowl QBs must be modern it just happen. Or are they both worthless stiffs? Or is it running that just happened all the sudden. It's been around forever.
Jalen Hurts has 68 official rushing attempts so far this year, the most in NFL history by a quarterback after five games. Billy Kilmer of the 49ers had 60 through five games in 1961. Even if you subtract Hurts’ seven kneel downs, he still has more than Kilmer did 61 years ago (kneel down figures aren’t available before 1994). Mobility is nothing new. Billy did it many decades ago. The 49ers will keep him. It's not a bad idea to have a good backup/change of pace.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:18 am
IIsweet wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:47 am
Have to say, that I have mulled this idea over since yesterday. It would be awesome to have the next AD, but If Bijon is there, why? Why did 22 other teams pass on a generational talent? If you watch the playoffs, you have to have that guy that can melt a clock, whether it is a RB or an accurate QB throwing in well-designed plays. I am a BPA guy, however, we are in a rebuilding phase and have so many needs and positions to fill. I just don't see why we get this incredible RB if we cannot block? As much as it would be a luxury, I feel that we HAVE TO address the Guard and Center positions. We HAVE TO get disruptive IDL. If we are waiting for those positions, then we are not getting better. If we can block, then even Kapp or PHP can run for 1000 yards
Completely agree. I'm a Longhorn and LOVE Bijan, but in the history of 13 win teams in the NFL, we are probably the one with the most holes ever. Give me the immovable center Torrence from Florida. With some beef and power in our IOL, we would improve this offense immediately. Bradbury was the kind of center that matched what the Vikings wanted to do offensively under Zimmer: run Dalvin with an outside zone scheme, for which athletic and mobile lineman were a good match. KOC wants to pass more and Kirk is a statue who can pick a D apart when given time. We need to fortify the interior.

Furthermore, we just aren't going to be the type of offense that features a bell cow RB, which is what Bijan offers you. I could see Jahmyr Gibbs being a better fit for KOC's offense due to his pass catching abilities. But honestly, Chandler may be the answer or a late day pick this year. RB just isn't what we need.
You guys are killin' me! :lol:

IIsweet, all I can say to your point is that sometimes GM's are dumb. Dumb like passing on Randy Moss or Justin Jefferson dumb. It happens all the time where a guy is overlooked because of some off-field concern or because he doesn't fit one of a given team's immediate "needs" or because he plays the wrong position.

The draft tests the ability of GM's to see the forest from the trees. So many times GMs go into drafts thinking in terms of the mindset of "these are the holes I have to fill on my team right now", when the truly astute GM's have a mindset of finding the best players at any position that will enable their teams to succeed in the next several years.

We need a guy like Bijan exactly because the OL can't run block well. He's very shifty. He'll create yardage on his own and survive contact to create more. His presence takes pressure not only off the OL blocking concerns that will exist next year no matter what KAM does at those positions this offseason, but also will allow the Vikings to move on from Cook's high-priced contract and have no need to entertain giving a large deal to retain Mattison either.

To Texas Vike, no way Ty Chandler compares to Bijan. I mean, Chandler might end up serviceable or even very good, but Bijan has the chance to be great. As in, perennial pro bowl great. As in, you can build your offense around his skillset and feature him and the defense has to sit up and pay attention great. You put a guy like Bijan in the backfield with a guy like JJ out wide and you've got 2 of the 3 mythical football Horsemen of the Apocalypse on your offense and you're going to have them for a long time. I actually would entertain keeping Cousins as a good idea if that were the case. I think Bijan could have that sort of impact on the offense.

Sure, KAM could focus on the team as-is next year and use #23 to spackle over the holes as they exist, but he'll do it with lesser players than Robinson. Honestly, this discussion reminds me of the time when Tice passed over Rodgers twice to do exactly that spackling because the Vikings already "had a QB" for that next year.

I just encourage everyone to watch them some Bijan Robinson highlight film and if you still come away believing KAM should pass on him at #23, more power to you. However, don't say you are surprised when Bijan is tearing up the league starting next year. In 5 years, don't come back here and say "Vikinglord was right. He may suck at Pick 4, but he was right about Bijan." :lol:
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:27 am

Completely agree. I'm a Longhorn and LOVE Bijan, but in the history of 13 win teams in the NFL, we are probably the one with the most holes ever. Give me the immovable center Torrence from Florida. With some beef and power in our IOL, we would improve this offense immediately. Bradbury was the kind of center that matched what the Vikings wanted to do offensively under Zimmer: run Dalvin with an outside zone scheme, for which athletic and mobile lineman were a good match. KOC wants to pass more and Kirk is a statue who can pick a D apart when given time. We need to fortify the interior.

Furthermore, we just aren't going to be the type of offense that features a bell cow RB, which is what Bijan offers you. I could see Jahmyr Gibbs being a better fit for KOC's offense due to his pass catching abilities. But honestly, Chandler may be the answer or a late day pick this year. RB just isn't what we need.

IIsweet, all I can say to your point is that sometimes GM's are dumb. Dumb like passing on Randy Moss or Justin Jefferson dumb. It happens all the time where a guy is overlooked because of some off-field concern or because he doesn't fit one of a given team's immediate "needs" or because he plays the wrong position.

The draft tests the ability of GM's to see the forest from the trees. So many times GMs go into drafts thinking in terms of the mindset of "these are the holes I have to fill on my team right now", when the truly astute GM's have a mindset of finding the best players at any position that will enable their teams to succeed in the next several years.

We need a guy like Bijan exactly because the OL can't run block well. He's very shifty. He'll create yardage on his own and survive contact to create more. His presence takes pressure not only off the OL blocking concerns that will exist next year no matter what KAM does at those positions this offseason, but also will allow the Vikings to move on from Cook's high-priced contract and have no need to entertain giving a large deal to retain Mattison either.

To Texas Vike, no way Ty Chandler compares to Bijan. I mean, Chandler might end up serviceable or even very good, but Bijan has the chance to be great. As in, perennial pro bowl great. As in, you can build your offense around his skillset and feature him and the defense has to sit up and pay attention great. You put a guy like Bijan in the backfield with a guy like JJ out wide and you've got 2 of the 3 mythical football Horsemen of the Apocalypse on your offense and you're going to have them for a long time. I actually would entertain keeping Cousins as a good idea if that were the case. I think Bijan could have that sort of impact on the offense.
On top of that, Ty Chandler played 27 snaps on special teams and ended up on the IR. Trusting him to holdup for an entire season would be a mistake, imo.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

I agree that Bijan is a special talent and worth considering at #23. He's being salivated over by guys who play Dynasty Fantasy Football as a "once in a generation" type talent. I've seen him his entire career at UT. I did my Masters and PhD there for seven years: I bleed burnt orange, so you're preaching to the choir brother. :D

Here's the issue: 1) we have 4 draft picks and many holes. 2) McVay's offense (and KOC's) simply does not make use of a RB the way Bijan's talent OBLIGES you to do that. He would have been a perfect fit for what Zimmer wanted to do, but KOC wants his offense to be built around JJ in the Cooper Kupp role.
VikingLord wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:27 am To Texas Vike, no way Ty Chandler compares to Bijan. I mean,
Never said he did. Understatement of the year!

Ultimately: you know what's going to happen... The Vikings will trade down from #23 to recover that 2nd rounder we gave up for Hock and we'll let our new DC select some guys that can make his defense less pathetic.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:43 pm

I agree that Bijan is a special talent and worth considering at #23. He's being salivated over by guys who play Dynasty Fantasy Football as a "once in a generation" type talent. I've seen him his entire career at UT. I did my Masters and PhD there for seven years: I bleed burnt orange, so you're preaching to the choir brother. :D

Here's the issue: 1) we have 4 draft picks and many holes. 2) McVay's offense (and KOC's) simply does not make use of a RB the way Bijan's talent OBLIGES you to do that. He would have been a perfect fit for what Zimmer wanted to do, but KOC wants his offense to be built around JJ in the Cooper Kupp role.
VikingLord wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:27 am To Texas Vike, no way Ty Chandler compares to Bijan. I mean,

Ultimately: you know what's going to happen... The Vikings will trade down from #23 to recover that 2nd rounder we gave up for Hock and we'll let our new DC select some guys that can make his defense less pathetic.
Walter Football has him going #3 overall to the Cardinals anyway, so all this debate probably means nothing.

As for a trade down, picking up an extra second seems unlikely with where the Vikings are picking:

KANSAS CITY RECEIVES:
Round 1, 2022: No. 21 overall -- CB Trent McDuffie
NEW ENGLAND RECEIVES:
Round 1, 2022: No. 29 overall (from San Francisco through Miami) -- G Cole Strange
Round 3, 2022: No. 94; Pick traded to Carolina -- QB Matt Corral
Round 4, 2022: No. 121 (from Miami) -- DB Jack Jones

BALTIMORE RECEIVES:
Round 1, 2022: No. 25 overall -- C Tyler Linderbaum
Round 4, 2022: No. 130 -- P Jordan Stout
BUFFALO RECEIVES:
Round 1, 2022: No. 23 overall -- CB Kaiir Elam

NEW YORK RECEIVES:
Round 1, 2022: No. 26 overall -- Edge Jermaine Johnson II
Round 3, 2022: No. 101 (from Philadelphia, special compensatory selection) -- TE Jeremy Ruckert
TENNESSEE RECEIVES:
Round 2, 2022: No. 35 overall -- CB Roger McCreary
Round 3, 2022: No. 69 -- OT Nicholas Petit-Frere
Round 5, 2022: No. 163 (from Pittsburgh) -- WR Kyle Philips

JACKSONVILLE RECEIVES:
Round 1, 2022: No. 27 overall -- LB Devin Lloyd
TAMPA BAY RECEIVES:
Round 2, 2022: No. 33 overall -- DE Logan Hall
Round 4, 2022: No. 106 -- TE Cade Otton
Round 6, 2022: No. 180; Pick traded to Buffalo -- P Matt Araiza

Looks like the most we could hope for is an extra 3rd with a trade down, and that is with a normal draft value chart, not Kwesi's special one that he follows, but no one else does.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:55 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:43 pm

Walter Football has him going #3 overall to the Cardinals anyway, so all this debate probably means nothing.

As for a trade down, picking up an extra second seems unlikely with where the Vikings are picking:

Looks like the most we could hope for is an extra 3rd with a trade down, and that is with a normal draft value chart, not Kwesi's special one that he follows, but no one else does.
I didn't state that we would get 'an extra 2nd'. I suspect Kwesi will trade down from 23 to acquire two picks in the 2nd or a 2nd and 3rd.

Who knows? maybe we trade Danielle Hunter and get a 2nd and 3rd, and then we hold onto pick #23.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:05 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:55 pm

I didn't state that we would get 'an extra 2nd'. I suspect Kwesi will trade down from 23 to acquire two picks in the 2nd or a 2nd and 3rd.

Who knows? maybe we trade Danielle Hunter and get a 2nd and 3rd, and then we hold onto pick #23.
Or just hold onto #23 AND keep your best player by far on defense. The Vikings already got good value out of their 2nd round pick and nothing says they have to trade down to pick up some worthless 4th round draft picks.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:43 pm

Or just hold onto #23 AND keep your best player by far on defense. The Vikings already got good value out of their 2nd round pick and nothing says they have to trade down to pick up some worthless 4th round draft picks.
He's definitely our best defensive player, but he's getting long in the tooth and needs a contract extension. We're in a pickle in many, many ways. This off season is going to be a wild ride. Buckle up, everyone.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:56 pm

He's definitely our best defensive player, but he's getting long in the tooth and needs a contract extension. We're in a pickle in many, many ways. This off season is going to be a wild ride. Buckle up, everyone.
All of this should have been done last season and then we wouldn't even be worrying about the cap. A missed opportunity to get cap healthy for what? Getting whooped in the wild card round?
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I agree with you that Hockenson is the player "picked" with that 2nd rounder, and based solely on that, KAM got good value for it. Whether he can barter his way back into the 2nd, or whether such a move makes any sense, really depends on things outside of his control right now. We'll have to see how things start to shake out as the draft approaches. I'm hopeful QBs once again remain over-valued, RB remains under-valued, and with the depth of this CB class a real gem either slips to the Vikings in the 1st or in the 3rd as that position once again needs attention this offseason.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:27 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:33 am
I'm not talking about the past. I'm talking about the future. His contract wasn't just for the past 3 seasons, 2 of which were actually part of his previous contract. It also extends the next two years into the future.

Cook, if kept on this contract, will cost the Vikings $30 million to the cap in 2023 and 2024. Only AFTER 2024 is Cook's contract completely devoid of dead money. THAT is why his contract is so bad. For his seasons 8 and 9, a running back will cost $30 million to the cap, with total dead cap of nearly $10 million. Please explain to me how that is a good contract ... especially given the success of late-round picks such as Elijah Mitchell.
You are too hung up on those final years when they were probably never going to get paid out. In the end he will be cut this off season and walk away making 8 million per year on his extension, which includes the dead cap hit the Vikings will pay out this year.
And for the record, Dalvin Cook was not that good this year. He ranked LAST in the NFL in total rushing yards over expected. Last. He broke two long runs and one long screen pass. He had just 5 rushes of at least 20 yards.
Being last in that stat will happen when it is a stat based partially on run blocking grade and the Vikings are incorrectly graded out as the 3rd best run blocking team in the NFL. Better than SF and Philly according to PFF, but not anyone with a working pair of eyes. His backup averaged .6 yards per attempt fewer running behind that same elite run blocking Oline and the offense stalled nearly every time he was off the field. He was still effective as a runner in his final season with the Vikings.
Overthecap put his valuation at $8.5 million ... his cap hit was $12 million.
But his AAV is only going to end up being 8 million per year.
It's a bad contract. It's one of the worst contracts for a running back I've ever seen. Half of the $60 million total comes in 2023 and 2024, when he is clearly past his prime. I will be stunned if they don't move off him, eat the dead cap, and use the cap savings to sign players they actually need.
Which is what makes it a good contract, because the Vikings don't have to pay those final two years. They got his best years and can move on now. Just like was intended when it was originally written up.
I’m not talking cash. I’m talking cap. The Vikings don’t owe Cook any more money. But he IS going to count against their cap, to the tune of $14M in 2023 and $15M in 2024 if he’s on the roster. If they cut him, they still eat $9M in dead cap. It’s a typical Rick move — overpay for a non-premium position by putting it on your cap Mastercard. When the bill comes due, do it again. I will never understand Vikings fans. Blame Kirk Cousins’ $30M cap hit for not being able to build a roster, but have no problem with $44M for a running back, a non-pass-rushing linebacker, and a safety.

As for Cook’s $9M APY, I won’t repeat my views on running back salaries. I’ll simply add that if you draft, develop and pay for a great O-line, you don’t need a $9M running back.

Cut Cook and the rest of the bloated cap hits at non-premium positions and start building this team the right way.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

It needs to be blown up. What does that actually mean? So, on Spotrac, they have a Manage the Cap "game". What I have done is start with the $20,821,469 in the red and made a handful of moves.
Released: Za'Darius, EK, Hicks, and CJ Ham
Restructure: Harrison Smith
Trade: Thielen, Cook (more realistic is both are cut)

This scenario gives us $32,225,091 in available Cap Space. That's flipping over $53 million.
Honestly, I am taking what I can get for Thielen and Cook. Even if it is 6th or 7th rd picks, it is better than nothing. IMO, LB is a position that you can draft throughout and get quality players. You may not get All Pro types throughout the draft, but you can get good players.
Note... we still have Hunter and basically hope to fill Zadarius with Jones. We lose EK and replace with Asamoah. We lose Hicks and look for his replacement unless we have it in the younger Dye, FA, or draft. We lose Ham, and honestly, I would prefer to run a TE out of that position. Maybe that's where Muse fits. We still have Harrison and hopefully he still has something in the tank and allows us a safety room of Harrison, Cine, Metellus, and Bynum. I also look to draft another safety this year and let Harrison stick for '23.
As far as Thielen, his wife is sharing his frustration so I take what I can get for him in a trade. KJ may be ready to step up and I think Nailor needs to be out there. There is such a deep talented WR pool in the draft. As for Cook's replacement, Jamaal Williams market value according to Spotrac is $4m/year. Kareem Hunts is $7m/yr, and Raheem Mostert is $2.2m/yr. Just some food for though.
***With this extra $, a massive contract extension for JJ is definitely an option also***
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

IIsweet wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:26 am It needs to be blown up. What does that actually mean? So, on Spotrac, they have a Manage the Cap "game". What I have done is start with the $20,821,469 in the red and made a handful of moves.
Released: Za'Darius, EK, Hicks, and CJ Ham
Restructure: Harrison Smith
Trade: Thielen, Cook (more realistic is both are cut)

This scenario gives us $32,225,091 in available Cap Space. That's flipping over $53 million.
Honestly, I am taking what I can get for Thielen and Cook. Even if it is 6th or 7th rd picks, it is better than nothing. IMO, LB is a position that you can draft throughout and get quality players. You may not get All Pro types throughout the draft, but you can get good players.
Note... we still have Hunter and basically hope to fill Zadarius with Jones. We lose EK and replace with Asamoah. We lose Hicks and look for his replacement unless we have it in the younger Dye, FA, or draft. We lose Ham, and honestly, I would prefer to run a TE out of that position. Maybe that's where Muse fits. We still have Harrison and hopefully he still has something in the tank and allows us a safety room of Harrison, Cine, Metellus, and Bynum. I also look to draft another safety this year and let Harrison stick for '23.
As far as Thielen, his wife is sharing his frustration so I take what I can get for him in a trade. KJ may be ready to step up and I think Nailor needs to be out there. There is such a deep talented WR pool in the draft. As for Cook's replacement, Jamaal Williams market value according to Spotrac is $4m/year. Kareem Hunts is $7m/yr, and Raheem Mostert is $2.2m/yr. Just some food for though.
***With this extra $, a massive contract extension for JJ is definitely an option also***
I have posted that we need to take a LBer round 1 which isn't very smart. Take the BPA route. LBers fall in the draft because the value for the position isn't there. Over drafting for need isn't smart at all. There's some deep positions in this draft. Perhaps this is the trade down again year. Our pick doesn't have much value so then you weigh the worth versus what you can get. If some real good players drop from these deep positions then the value goes up or pick the guy ourselves. What you posted gives cap to sign whatever is out there to fill the roster out. Won't be much but that's every year.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Houston has something like 12 draft picks...would be sweet to have them bite on Cook for a decent pick(s). Hell, if we are going to blow it up, trade them Hunter and Cook for their 2nd 1st and whatever else we can get.
We just can't be "in between." Blow it up all the way or don't even bother.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

For both Thielen and Cook the Vikings would need to eat some of their salary to trade them, which would outweigh the benefits of picking up a late round pick.

There is also the possibility that the two agree to a restructure prior to a trade, but there is very little incentive for them to do that. They would probably just prefer to hit the open market and see what they can get.