PHP's Mini Mock Offseason

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PHP's Mini Mock Offseason

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I know that some are calling for a lot of veteran heads this offseason but we have to be careful at the same time unless we're shifting into full rebuild mode which I dont foresee. If we just cut all our aging veterans, we're going to have a plethora of holes to fill with 4 draft picks (will be 6 after compensatorys) and very little leadership left, especially on the defensive side.

Here is what I'm thinking (and I've already been slowly chipping away at my big mock offseason):

1.) Restructure Harrison Smith- he's not prime Harrison anymore but he's also not hurting us. As I said a few days ago, Smith is the Eric Weddle type that will be able to play well into his 30's at a solid level. He also had a pretty decent year and was disgustingly misused. That saves us about $8 million.

2.) Restructure Brian O'Neill- I dont have a problem pushing his cap down the line because I think he still has a lot of good years left in him.

3.) Release Eric Kendricks- just too slow and cant stay with guys. This saves us $9.5 million with only $1.9 in dead cap.

4.) Release Zadarius Smith- looked like a great signing early but his injuries showed up again and only piled up 0.5 sacks in the 2nd half of the season. This saves us $13.6 million with $3.3 in dead cap.

5.) Release Adam Thielen- not a good way to go by this one. Restructuring pushes his massive cap down the road and he's not much of a help to us anymore. This saves us $6.4 million but we soak $13.5 in dead money. Again, his contract is easily the toughest to navigate because there is no easy way around it. Maybe someone can help me here.

6.) Release Jordan Hicks- easy move, too slow, too old. Saves us $5 million with $1.5 in dead cap.

7.) Release CJ Ham- I dont see the value here when we rarely use him. If we want a fullback, I feel like it's easy for them to find at a much cheaper rate. Saves us $3 million and only $750k in dead cap.

8.) Release Chris Reed- we didnt really use him and it saves us $2.5 million with only $250k in dead cap.

9.) Release Ross Blacklock- Tonga proved to be the better option here anyways. Saves us $1.7 million with zero dead cap.

....all of this puts us at $37.1 in cap space.

Now couple things....

1.) What do we do with Dalvin Cook? I say trade him. He definitely carries value and I think we could fetch a 4th for him. Played 17 games with no injury hiccups and went for 1,000 yards. Highest his value will ever be. If we trade him that gives us another $7.9 in cap space with $6 million in dead cap. Do we re-sign Mattison here or look elsewhere. I'm leaning towards a 1-2 punch with Mattison and Chandler. This doesnt force us to waste a draft pick on a RB or dip into a very weak FA pool.

2.) Definitely extend Hockenson which could free up some space.

3.) Resign big name veterans like Patrick Peterson who had a resurgence this year and is only asking for 1 year deals and Dalvin Tomlinson who still brings a lot of value to the DL.

4.) I say you also re-sign Bradbury. He had a resurgence in this offense as well and graded out as the #10 center in the NFL. Was 7th (I believe) in run blocking and 17th in pass blocking (which isnt great but way higher than he's ever been before). I dont think he will cost anything crazy.

5.) I would almost say extend Danielle as well. Not sure if we will go back to a 4-3 or not but for this guy to also be embarrassingly misused and in a scheme he's never played before, he was still a stud, especially later on after he got comfortable in a 3-4.

In the end, these moves can give us over $40-$50 million in cap space before resigning any of our guys like Peterson, Tomlinson, etc. This still leaves us some valuable veterans on defense like Danielle, Tomlinson, Phillips, Harry, Peterson, etc. without really collapsing this entire roster and all it's veterans. This is an absolute crap ton of contractual moves but I think it needs to be done. I trust Kwesi to figure out this cap situation with Bryzinski.

....Again, this is a mini-mock offseason preview I'll be doing. But plenty, plenty more to come :govikes:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pep2Moss
Starter

Re: PHP's Mini Mock Offseason

Post by Pep2Moss »

These are some great, well thought out suggestions. I'm still not sure what to do with anything, living in Giants land not even thinking much about football. The one thought I had after the season was everyone is on the table except JJ. I would look to deal Hunter if a 1 were coming back. try to trade Cook. Cut the guys you said. On Bradbury I just kept seeing Lawrence destroy him and push him five yards into the backfield.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Pep2Moss wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:31 am These are some great, well thought out suggestions. I'm still not sure what to do with anything, living in Giants land not even thinking much about football. The one thought I had after the season was everyone is on the table except JJ. I would look to deal Hunter if a 1 were coming back. try to trade Cook. Cut the guys you said. On Bradbury I just kept seeing Lawrence destroy him and push him five yards into the backfield.
Yes this was one game Bradbury stood out to me in a bad way. I can honestly say, I didnt see that much from him this year, but Lawrence definitely dominated him.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:55 am
Pep2Moss wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:31 am These are some great, well thought out suggestions. I'm still not sure what to do with anything, living in Giants land not even thinking much about football. The one thought I had after the season was everyone is on the table except JJ. I would look to deal Hunter if a 1 were coming back. try to trade Cook. Cut the guys you said. On Bradbury I just kept seeing Lawrence destroy him and push him five yards into the backfield.
Yes this was one game Bradbury stood out to me in a bad way. I can honestly say, I didnt see that much from him this year, but Lawrence definitely dominated him.
Bradbury was abused that game. You can call it a one off but that has been his career to date. He's not a good pass blocker. Do you really want that? I think he's gone. Based on Kirk's press conference he talked about teams always turn over he mentioned Bradbury being a FA. That backup we used who got hurt seemed to play ok. Might as well move forward with him at this point.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CharVike wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:16 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:55 am

Bradbury was abused that game. You can call it a one off but that has been his career to date. He's not a good pass blocker. Do you really want that? I think he's gone. Based on Kirk's press conference he talked about teams always turn over he mentioned Bradbury being a FA. That backup we used who got hurt seemed to play ok. Might as well move forward with him at this point.
Schlottman didnt grade very well at all when Bradbury was out. Again, Bradbury was #7 in run blocking this year and #17 in pass blocking with an overall grade at #10. He was miles better this year than he's been in the past.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:19 am
Schlottman didnt grade very well at all when Bradbury was out. Again, Bradbury was #7 in run blocking this year and #17 in pass blocking with an overall grade at #10. He was miles better this year than he's been in the past.
I don't doubt that. If they sign him I won't complain. He was rock solid from a game starting perspective until this season. Lawerence is a tough match up. Injuries happen and they happened to us along the OL in a big way. Even our backups got hurt. It's probably our best option at this point to resign him.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I'd move on from Bradbury if possible. They didn't extend him for a good reason, and despite whatever improvements he made this year, he's still an undersized center and an ineffective pass blocker. The fact he can move in space is great I guess, but as a center he just doesn't show up enough in the short yardage situations where the team needs a yard to keep a drive going. If they can keep him for a reasonable amount I suppose keep him, and that might happen because I don't see any other team offering him a large deal, but I'd much prefer the Vikings move on with a bigger, stronger center.

Not sure if the Vikings can find that player in free agency, but the upcoming draft features center prospects like Steve Avila out of TCU (6'4", 334 lbs), John Michael Schmitz of Minnesota (6'4", 320 lbs), and Ricky Stromberg of Arkansas (6'4", 318 lbs). Of these I like Avila the most because he's big but also surprisingly agile and fundamentally solid. He's likely gone in the 2nd round, however, so if the Vikings want him they'll have to find a way to get back into the middle of the 2nd. Schmitz is a good choice as well and might end up lasting until the 4th, although he might rise if he shows well in pre-draft evals. Stromberg is good too and might last into the 5th, although I could see him go in the bottom half of the 4th round if he shows well.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:29 pm

I'd move on from Bradbury if possible. They didn't extend him for a good reason, and despite whatever improvements he made this year, he's still an undersized center and an ineffective pass blocker. The fact he can move in space is great I guess, but as a center he just doesn't show up enough in the short yardage situations where the team needs a yard to keep a drive going. If they can keep him for a reasonable amount I suppose keep him, and that might happen because I don't see any other team offering him a large deal, but I'd much prefer the Vikings move on with a bigger, stronger center.

Not sure if the Vikings can find that player in free agency, but the upcoming draft features center prospects like Steve Avila out of TCU (6'4", 334 lbs), John Michael Schmitz of Minnesota (6'4", 320 lbs), and Ricky Stromberg of Arkansas (6'4", 318 lbs). Of these I like Avila the most because he's big but also surprisingly agile and fundamentally solid. He's likely gone in the 2nd round, however, so if the Vikings want him they'll have to find a way to get back into the middle of the 2nd. Schmitz is a good choice as well and might end up lasting until the 4th, although he might rise if he shows well in pre-draft evals. Stromberg is good too and might last into the 5th, although I could see him go in the bottom half of the 4th round if he shows well.
A real good center won't be in FA. Teams keep there good players. Maybe someone a hair better than Bradbury but that still means we are soft in the middle. If we draft a guy the 1st year will be garbage. Maybe year 2 or 3 ect,,,, Supposedly Bradbury was rated 10th best. He will get a boat load of money in FA if that's the case. I get the feeling teams won't be cashing him with the money vault.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

CharVike wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:39 am
VikingLord wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:29 pm

A real good center won't be in FA. Teams keep there good players. Maybe someone a hair better than Bradbury but that still means we are soft in the middle. If we draft a guy the 1st year will be garbage. Maybe year 2 or 3 ect,,,, Supposedly Bradbury was rated 10th best. He will get a boat load of money in FA if that's the case. I get the feeling teams won't be cashing him with the money vault.
Bradbury is one of the main mysteries that KAM and KOC will need to solve this offseason. They chose not to exercise his fifth year, which almost always results in the player becoming a FA. However, there tends to be a dearth of talent on the FA market at Center and drafting one is a project. We're in a bit of a pickle.

I personally would like to move on, but we have so many holes on D that it may force us to make a compromise and retain some players like Bradbury simply because it makes the most common sense. My main concerns with Garrett are his health (is this back a long term, chronic issue?) and whether the coaching staff feels that he handcuffs what we are able to do offensively. I despise the fact that we are unable to run up the gut in short yardage situations. In fact, it's hard to know whether "trick" plays (like that idiotic backwards pass to JJ, who then threw it back to Kirk on 3rd and 1) were run because they are simply KOC's preference, or because he feels the need to do them given our inability to move bodies up the middle.

Some of the 'magic' of KOC as a play-caller has to do with his ability to scheme against the opponent's expectations. But when you get a reputation for doing the unexpected, that BECOMES what a smart opponent expects. When these kinds of plays don't work, they look "too cute" instead of clever, and that seemed to happen on numerous occasions as the season went on.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:39 am A real good center won't be in FA. Teams keep there good players. Maybe someone a hair better than Bradbury but that still means we are soft in the middle. If we draft a guy the 1st year will be garbage. Maybe year 2 or 3 ect,,,, Supposedly Bradbury was rated 10th best. He will get a boat load of money in FA if that's the case. I get the feeling teams won't be cashing him with the money vault.
The best the Vikings can hope for in FA as far as the center position is concerned is that some team with an established veteran center lets him walk due to cap constraints and a belief they drafted his replacement at some point. That vet center needs to have a few good seasons left on the tires ala what the Vikings got out of Patrick Peterson at CB.

The Vikings aren't going to find a 10 year impact starter at center in FA or probably even in trade. To find that guy they're going to have to draft him.

There is no way Bradbury gets a big money offer in FA. If I were KAM I'd let him look and let the market set his asking price. He's a backup at best IMHO.
MossCarterJefferson
Rookie

Post by MossCarterJefferson »

I do not think Vikings should resign Bradbury, let another team overpay for Bradbury
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

VikingLord wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:35 pm
CharVike wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:39 am A real good center won't be in FA. Teams keep there good players. Maybe someone a hair better than Bradbury but that still means we are soft in the middle. If we draft a guy the 1st year will be garbage. Maybe year 2 or 3 ect,,,, Supposedly Bradbury was rated 10th best. He will get a boat load of money in FA if that's the case. I get the feeling teams won't be cashing him with the money vault.
The best the Vikings can hope for in FA as far as the center position is concerned is that some team with an established veteran center lets him walk due to cap constraints and a belief they drafted his replacement at some point. That vet center needs to have a few good seasons left on the tires ala what the Vikings got out of Patrick Peterson at CB.

The Vikings aren't going to find a 10 year impact starter at center in FA or probably even in trade. To find that guy they're going to have to draft him.

There is no way Bradbury gets a big money offer in FA. If I were KAM I'd let him look and let the market set his asking price. He's a backup at best IMHO.
With how he performed in KOCs offense, I'm not sure I agree that he's just a backup. 7th in run blocking and 17th in pass blocking is starting material IMO. I dont think he'll command much but he's definitely been better under KOC than previous regimes.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:01 pm With how he performed in KOCs offense, I'm not sure I agree that he's just a backup. 7th in run blocking and 17th in pass blocking is starting material IMO. I dont think he'll command much but he's definitely been better under KOC than previous regimes.
We'll see what he is offered. His run blocking ranking is good mostly because KOC's scheme never asked him to sustain blocks very long from what I saw. The scheme called for quick hitters in the interior where angles and leverage were intended to open up quick holes. It worked on occasion as Cook had some big runs during the year, although there were also a lot of 2 or fewer yards runs in that area as well. Obviously, Bradbury wasn't solely responsible for the issues with the interior OL as both Cleveland and Ingram struggled as well. If Bradbury gets a large offer to play somewhere more power to him, but I don't see that happening. If the Vikings end up offering him, I hope it is as a backup to someone like Steve Avila or a bigger, stronger vet FA cap casualty with a few years of solid play left in him.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I'm hoping they replace all three interior lineman this offseason. I'm so tired of this offense being bullied up the middle. I miss the days of Hutchinson, McDaniel, and Christy.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I am on board 2/3. I want to see how Ingram develops. He was a rookie this year. Let's see. I have NEVER liked Cleveland at G and I am not a Bradbury fan at all. As mentioned give me Avila or Schmitz. Even Fromberg. Draft another Guard. Cleveland has 1 more year I think then he becomes a FA. Let him walk.
Btw, on Spotrac, they have Bradbury's fair market value at $11.9mil/season.
NO THANKS !!!