A look ahead at the Cap

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: A look ahead at the Cap

Post by IIsweet »

CharVike wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:00 am
IIsweet wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:40 am Couple things immediately, we are $19 mil in the wrong for 2023.
The Bears this year will have close to $100 million in cap space.
As of now, in 2024, we will have nearly $100 million in cap space.
I will get to it later, but cutting Safari is and Hendricks saves over $22 million. If KOC and Kwesi love Kirk, then a restructuring or extension saves $23m.
Important to look at pre June 1 cuts, and the post June 1 after the draft and free agency periods. Also some restructuring.
Team could also do the minimum, bring back these high $ veterans for 1 year and let contracts expire.
Go into 2024 with $100 million in Cap with JJ your top priority.
What does a team do with 100 million in cap space like the Bears have. I don't see FA as some gold mine that is filled to the top with top level talent. Teams keep there players. You need to spend a certain amount of cap and they will keep their best players. Do you see it differently?
You go get a couple of difference makers. There are teams that will have cap casualties. You go get some of them.
You add some guys that are backing up superstars, ie Van Noy of LAC who was backing up Khalil Mack. Add some guys with upside that just need that opportunity. You strengthen your roster.
You also save some of that to carry over the following year. Don't just give it away, but target specific players and commit to your teams positional cap allocation strategies. You can resign and extend your Studs. You have the ability to flip your teams fortunes !
To me, 2023 will be a tough year, but 2024 could be the type of off season that changes Vikings future for a long time
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

IIsweet wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:32 pm
What does a team do with 100 million in cap space like the Bears have. I don't see FA as some gold mine that is filled to the top with top level talent. Teams keep there players. You need to spend a certain amount of cap and they will keep their best players. Do you see it differently?
You go get a couple of difference makers. There are teams that will have cap casualties. You go get some of them.
You add some guys that are backing up superstars, ie Van Noy of LAC who was backing up Khalil Mack. Add some guys with upside that just need that opportunity. You strengthen your roster.
You also save some of that to carry over the following year. Don't just give it away, but target specific players and commit to your teams positional cap allocation strategies. You can resign and extend your Studs. You have the ability to flip your teams fortunes !
To me, 2023 will be a tough year, but 2024 could be the type of off season that changes Vikings future for a long time
I agree with what you posted. I like the backup idea. It also seems that teams are getting smarter with potential FA and will trade them for something before they get nothing. I think Dallas did that.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

IIsweet wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:40 am Couple things immediately, we are $19 mil in the wrong for 2023.
The Bears this year will have close to $100 million in cap space.
As of now, in 2024, we will have nearly $100 million in cap space.
I will get to it later, but cutting Safari is and Hendricks saves over $22 million. If KOC and Kwesi love Kirk, then a restructuring or extension saves $23m.
Important to look at pre June 1 cuts, and the post June 1 after the draft and free agency periods. Also some restructuring.
Team could also do the minimum, bring back these high $ veterans for 1 year and let contracts expire.
Go into 2024 with $100 million in Cap with JJ your top priority.
Yeah people keep talking about chicagos cap space. It doesn’t really worry me in any way. First of all, you need to find players that will even buy into going to a team in rebuild mode. Number two, teams that just spend away in free agency, which there have been quite a few, have not panned out. You don’t build a contender through free agency
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:27 pm
Yeah people keep talking about chicagos cap space. It doesn’t really worry me in any way. First of all, you need to find players that will even buy into going to a team in rebuild mode. Number two, teams that just spend away in free agency, which there have been quite a few, have not panned out. You don’t build a contender through free agency
I wont argue against FA because you can use it to your advantage but it can also cripple you. There are always a few real good players but a team will need to overpay because it's a bidding war. It also can help with depth. Teams keep there good players because you need to spend a certain amount. Or they trade them for a return. I'll give the Bears credit for a very good 1st year draft and now they have the 1st pick in the draft. They control the draft which is a great spot to be in. I'm not sold on this Fields as a QB. He's one of those do everything types and some fans are into watching that. I'm not. He will take a tremendous beating and that takes a toll on a player. IMO Fields will make or break them. It's year 3 for a high 1st round pick. Looks like now or never.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

So here are the scenarios to me that are most appealing. We are starting in the minus $9million
Cut Pre June 1st.
Cap Savings (CS) Dead Money (DM)
Kendricks CS $9.5m DM $1.9
Hicks CS $5m DM $1.5
Zadarius CS $13.66 m DM $3.5m
CJ Ham CS $3m DM $750k
Total CS $28.16m DM $$7.65m

Post June 1 cuts (after the draft and Free Agency signings)
Thielen CS $13.4m DM $6.55m
Harrison CS $15.2m DM $3.9m
Cook CS $11m DM $3.1m
Total CS $39.6m DM $13.55

So with these scenarios we would have approximately $22 million going into FA Not sure if DM also reduces this number?
It also frees up $39 million after June 1st where we can look to add a cap casualty, resign guys at a much lower salary, or roll over money into next season, not to mention have money to sign FA during the season. It also gives us $ to give extensions to players like TJ, KJ, and others.

The other option is to play these guys out and their current contracts. We still have to come up with $9m + $ for rookies
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

IIsweet wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:24 am So here are the scenarios to me that are most appealing. We are starting in the minus $9million
Cut Pre June 1st.
Hicks CS $5m DM $1.5
CJ Ham CS $3m DM $750k

Cook CS $11m DM $3.1m

So with these scenarios we would have approximately $22 million going into FA Not sure if DM also reduces this number?
It also frees up $39 million after June 1st where we can look to add a cap casualty, resign guys at a much lower salary, or roll over money into next season, not to mention have money to sign FA during the season. It also gives us $ to give extensions to players like TJ, KJ, and others.

The other option is to play these guys out and their current contracts. We still have to come up with $9m + $ for rookies
Thielen's 2023 salary is fully guaranteed if he is on the team on the 3rd day of the league year so no post June cut for him.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:23 pm
IIsweet wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:24 am So here are the scenarios to me that are most appealing. We are starting in the minus $9million
Cut Pre June 1st.
Hicks CS $5m DM $1.5
CJ Ham CS $3m DM $750k

Cook CS $11m DM $3.1m

Thielen's 2023 salary is fully guaranteed if he is on the team on the 3rd day of the league year so no post June cut for him.
Theilens wife already said goodbye. It don't matter we have no chance. Let him sit around. Since this junk 3 4 is KOC baby we will never be able to play D. He thinks we are trying to stop the old corn huskers with I M Hipp and Rosier ect. 2 more wasted season,
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:23 pm
Cut Pre June 1st.
Hicks CS $5m DM $1.5
CJ Ham CS $3m DM $750k

Cook CS $11m DM $3.1m

I should have clarified, I am using strictly the Overthecap.com numbers for the Vikings.