PFF's 2022 NFL All-Rookie Team

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

PFF's 2022 NFL All-Rookie Team

Post by CharVike »

Here's a fun read about the top rookies by position for 2022. The one that gets my goat is Kyle Hamilton made it as a slot cover guy. That's one we passed over. The Bears had a couple on there as did the Lions. The Bears did a great job.
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-nfl-a ... r-and-more
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: PFF's 2022 NFL All-Rookie Team

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

KAM had a crap draft. Not many of our rookies even had a lot of snaps. And Hamilton was sitting right there for us to pick. Depressing draft. And we only get 4 picks next season I think.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:59 am KAM had a crap draft. Not many of our rookies even had a lot of snaps. And Hamilton was sitting right there for us to pick. Depressing draft. And we only get 4 picks next season I think.
We got a starter at G who sucks and a starting punter who is not the most consistent in the world. To be fair it's only year 1 but it's still part of the draft and he struck out. Plus he made a bunch of trades during the draft and basically took us out of round 1. Hamilton will be good for the next decade. He is a do all player. Davis for the Eagles was there also. Plus others from round 1 that we moved away from. He's better off trading all of them for proven players like he did with TJ. I'm sure we can get a good G with the picks we have. Better than picking some guy and hoping they can play in 3 or 4 years. You current players get no benefit from that.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

CharVike wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:34 pm Here's a fun read about the top rookies by position for 2022. The one that gets my goat is Kyle Hamilton made it as a slot cover guy. That's one we passed over. The Bears had a couple on there as did the Lions. The Bears did a great job.
The Bears did appear to hit several home runs. Now imagine what they can do with 100 million I'm cap and the first pick in every round barring a massive trade down for even more picks?
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:42 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:34 pm Here's a fun read about the top rookies by position for 2022. The one that gets my goat is Kyle Hamilton made it as a slot cover guy. That's one we passed over. The Bears had a couple on there as did the Lions. The Bears did a great job.
The Bears did appear to hit several home runs. Now imagine what they can do with 100 million I'm cap and the first pick in every round barring a massive trade down for even more picks?
They appear to be headed in the right direction. That was an impressive draft so far. Like always is Fields the answer at QB? Is he the next Allen or Mahomes? How many years do you wait to find out? Do you pass on the opportunity to pick a QB this year? They have the choice of any and based on the reports there are some real good ones. If you trade that first overall pick and a great QB is selected you just screwed yourself. Based on last years draft they have the people in place to make good selections.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I have to eat some crow and give you props here, CharVike.

You called it. Kyle Hamilton turned out to be pretty darned good. You were right. I was wrong. It's the draft, and often it's impossible to know for sure. But you definitely called this one, and you deserve kudos.

Lewis Cine may turn out to be an all pro. But he got hurt, and he wasn't getting snaps even before he got hurt. Not that he "wasn't starting." He wasn't even getting snaps. In the first game against Detroit, Harrison Smith was down ... Cine didn't get a single snap.

The entire draft, with the possible exception of Brian Asamoah, was a miss. I like Kwesi. I think he'll do a good job. He made some excellent moves during the season. But he missed on this draft and needs to do better.

Good job on that Hamilton call, brother.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

There is nothing worse than when a new guy comes in and thinks he is the smartest guy in the room.

Hamilton was right there. Slam dunk, easiest pick to ever make. Jordan Davis. Right there.

I like Booth. ASamoah should have played more with that speed.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:10 am

You called it. Kyle Hamilton turned out to be pretty darned good. You were right. I was wrong. It's the draft, and often it's impossible to know for sure. But you definitely called this one, and you deserve kudos.

Lewis Cine may turn out to be an all pro. But he got hurt, and he wasn't getting snaps even before he got hurt. Not that he "wasn't starting." He wasn't even getting snaps. In the first game against Detroit, Harrison Smith was down ... Cine didn't get a single snap.

The entire draft, with the possible exception of Brian Asamoah, was a miss. I like Kwesi. I think he'll do a good job. He made some excellent moves during the season. But he missed on this draft and needs to do better.

Thanks. The draft is always a good time. Ingram was bad this year but he was thrown into the action and held up. He should take a step up next year. Akayleb Evans who had a concussion got some action and that never hurts. Booty looked like a bum when he played so who knows. Next year is the key time. That's make or break year typically.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:14 pm

Thanks. The draft is always a good time. Ingram was bad this year but he was thrown into the action and held up. He should take a step up next year. Akayleb Evans who had a concussion got some action and that never hurts. Booty looked like a bum when he played so who knows. Next year is the key time. That's make or break year typically.
You don’t necessarily expect guys taken after the first round to be great right away. But you expect your first-round pick to at least contribute. Maybe if he hadn’t broken his leg, Cine would have contributed. But he wasn’t playing at all before the injury, even when the top guy on the depth chart went down.

As for Ingram, this off-season will be huge. His problems aren’t physical. He’s big enough and strong enough, and he’s not an oaf. Alex Boone, in his weekly breakdowns of the Vikings O-line play, has shown that Ingram’s issues are with technique in pass protection. Technique issues are hard to fix in-season, but they can be corrected with coaching and hard work in the off-season. The question is … is Ingram willing to work at it? We shall see.

IDK if Booth will ever amount to anything. He was hurt constantly in college, and he was hurt again multiple times in his rookie season. Some guys just can’t stay healthy. And yeah, he looked lost when he did play. Evans stuck his nose in there and played above his draft position — 3 concussions, though. Makes you worry.

Kwesi only has four picks at this juncture, and they aren’t high picks. But he needs to make something happen in the upcoming draft.

One silver lining — by failing to win a playoff game, the Vikings did not meet the conditions for Detroit to get a higher conditional pick in the trade for Hockenson. I think Detroit gets a 2024 4th-rounder instead of a 3rd-rounder.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:42 pm
CharVike wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:14 pm
You don’t necessarily expect guys taken after the first round to be great right away. But you expect your first-round pick to at least contribute. Maybe if he hadn’t broken his leg, Cine would have contributed. But he wasn’t playing at all before the injury, even when the top guy on the depth chart went down.

As for Ingram, this off-season will be huge. His problems aren’t physical. He’s big enough and strong enough, and he’s not an oaf. Alex Boone, in his weekly breakdowns of the Vikings O-line play, has shown that Ingram’s issues are with technique in pass protection. Technique issues are hard to fix in-season, but they can be corrected with coaching and hard work in the off-season. The question is … is Ingram willing to work at it? We shall see.

IDK if Booth will ever amount to anything. He was hurt constantly in college, and he was hurt again multiple times in his rookie season. Some guys just can’t stay healthy. And yeah, he looked lost when he did play. Evans stuck his nose in there and played above his draft position — 3 concussions, though. Makes you worry.

Kwesi only has four picks at this juncture, and they aren’t high picks. But he needs to make something happen in the upcoming draft.

One silver lining — by failing to win a playoff game, the Vikings did not meet the conditions for Detroit to get a higher conditional pick in the trade for Hockenson. I think Detroit gets a 2024 4th-rounder instead of a 3rd-rounder.
https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/1/1 ... roit-lions
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

Vikings have a 1,3,4,5 and 2 6th rd picks (comp)
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

That’s one position I will say I feel like we’re pretty deep at. Safety. Bynum was kind of underwhelming by years end but I love the way Metellus plays and then we still have Cine waiting in the wings. I think Bynum needs to take on a backup role next year and let Cine and Metellus battle that spot out
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Lions picked this guy in round 6 and was on their practice squad. James Houston had eight sacks in the final seven games of the NFL season. That's impressive for a late pick well for any pick really. Don't know if it was a flash in the pan or he turned the corner. The rookie sack leader was his teammate Hutchinson with 9.5. Hopefully it was a fluke and the guy sucks otherwise they have 2 young players that can attack the QB. That's what needs to happen to fix that junk defense they have. It certainly will help their CBs. Maybe they are the team next year.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I like Cine. He has the game to be a very good starting safety, imo. Unfortunately, people are hating on the pick because Hamilton played well, and Cine wasn't getting the necessary reps.
Let's look at something. The Vikings hired Donatell on February 10th. I guarantee that Harrison, Bynum, Metellus and co. all had a playbook for the Safety position in a new 3-4 look. Cine was not drafted until the end of April. He was months behind getting a playbook for a system he had never played. For example, Hamilton went right into the same system he played in at Notre Dame.
Reason I say this, is that I do not feel that the criticism is warranted for Cine and the other draft picks. It is difficult for Rookies to make an impact unless they get into the same systems. They are still going against professional athletes.
I was all for taking DT Jordan Davis WR Jameson Williams or S Kyle Hamilton. We traded down and really it does make sense in that we have aging veterans with huge contracts to replace. Cine to replace Harrison, Booth to replace PP, Asamoah to replace EK, Ingram stepped in and started for us, Evans started and flashed, and the others all show signs that they can become valuable players. I am all for getting that Stud every year, but we have to rebuild this roster. I thought that they did a good job. I didn't like the draft day trade, but I understood it.
I think that another thing that can be seen, and maybe it is KAM's philosophy, but we drafted in rds 5-7, RB, OT, WR, TE. I feel that you will always find value there with those positions. Not a LT, but you can find a backup RT who may develop.
My opinion, they did a very good job and I foresee 6 regular starters in that group (Cine, Booth, Ingram, Asamoah, Evans, Chandler). If that is the case, that's a helluva draft class.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

IIsweet wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:19 am I like Cine. He has the game to be a very good starting safety, imo. Unfortunately, people are hating on the pick because Hamilton played well, and Cine wasn't getting the necessary reps.
Let's look at something. The Vikings hired Donatell on February 10th. I guarantee that Harrison, Bynum, Metellus and co. all had a playbook for the Safety position in a new 3-4 look. Cine was not drafted until the end of April. He was months behind getting a playbook for a system he had never played. For example, Hamilton went right into the same system he played in at Notre Dame.
Reason I say this, is that I do not feel that the criticism is warranted for Cine and the other draft picks. It is difficult for Rookies to make an impact unless they get into the same systems. They are still going against professional athletes.
I was all for taking DT Jordan Davis WR Jameson Williams or S Kyle Hamilton. We traded down and really it does make sense in that we have aging veterans with huge contracts to replace. Cine to replace Harrison, Booth to replace PP, Asamoah to replace EK, Ingram stepped in and started for us, Evans started and flashed, and the others all show signs that they can become valuable players. I am all for getting that Stud every year, but we have to rebuild this roster. I thought that they did a good job. I didn't like the draft day trade, but I understood it.
I think that another thing that can be seen, and maybe it is KAM's philosophy, but we drafted in rds 5-7, RB, OT, WR, TE. I feel that you will always find value there with those positions. Not a LT, but you can find a backup RT who may develop.
My opinion, they did a very good job and I foresee 6 regular starters in that group (Cine, Booth, Ingram, Asamoah, Evans, Chandler). If that is the case, that's a helluva draft class.
The thing for me is you don't trade away from the better talent. The further down you go the talent pool shrinks. If the Jets moved down and then selected some other CB at 32 instead of Sauce sure you can say well they got a starter. One is not a very good player the other is top flight. Any yes they got another run of the mill starter maybe. Who cares. When you get big time starters they help the team more than just the run of the mill guy. A guy like Sauce is already a shut down guy. I doubt we picked a guy like him. Rebuilding a roster with run of the mill never works. You need some big time players. Some of these guys on this list will drop off. We seen that with one of ours Kalli. Great as a rookie then a bum forever. It happens once there's tape. Our current team doesn't attack the QB. We had a grand total of 38 sacks. The leader had 70. That's a huge difference. We need people to get after the QB. Dan Jones we made him look fantastic. The guy has already been told we don't want you anymore. We never attacked him. You can't play D like that. It will never work. Sorry I got off the draft.