Week 18: Vikings @ Bears predictions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Week 18: Vikings @ Bears predictions

Post by CharVike »

I guess this is a win. KOC said the starters will go and the Bears are having discussions about Fields playing. What is there to discuss? Let him get his 64 yards for the record which should only take about 5 carries and then lay down for draft slot. We will be playing in a painted sand box so I'm sure there will be a twisted ankle or knee to some or a couple players. Probably Darrisaw will be one of them. I would rest Cook so he has fresh legs and pound Ty Chandler. Be nice to give Peg a few strokes at some FG attempts. I see it 18-9 and then prepare for the Giants who I think will rest their juggernaut so they don't have to head out west for a beat down.
cmoss84
Veteran

Re: Week 18: Vikings @ Bears predictions

Post by cmoss84 »

I know it's highly unlikely, but can't we still get the 2 seed with a win and a niners loss? Not going to happen, but it means our starters will play...right?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

cmoss84 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:37 am I know it's highly unlikely, but can't we still get the 2 seed with a win and a niners loss? Not going to happen, but it means our starters will play...right?
KOC said the starters will play. Yes 49ers loss and we win then we get 2 seed. The 49ers can get No 1 if Eagles get beat. But Giants will rest the starters which means a forfeit to the Eagles. We are better off in the spot we have and then face the Giants. The Packers will then get kicked by the 49ers in the playoffs again which will shut Rodgers up. Then Bucs will bounce the Cowboys. That's how I see it.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

CharVike wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:38 am
cmoss84 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:37 am I know it's highly unlikely, but can't we still get the 2 seed with a win and a niners loss? Not going to happen, but it means our starters will play...right?
KOC said the starters will play. Yes 49ers loss and we win then we get 2 seed. The 49ers can get No 1 if Eagles get beat. But Giants will rest the starters which means a forfeit to the Eagles. We are better off in the spot we have and then face the Giants. The Packers will then get kicked by the 49ers in the playoffs again which will shut Rodgers up. Then Bucs will bounce the Cowboys. That's how I see it.
This honestly infuriates me that we are playing starters. Granted, nothing is guaranteed in the NFL but the chances the Cardinals beat the 49ers are slim as slim gets. We know who the 6 seed will be already in the Giants. It's a team you know you can beat compared to either the Lions or Packers who are two teams that you've recently lost to.

This is an easy opportunity to rest your starters, get healthy and prepare for the Giants. Instead, we are going to have our starters play on another sh#thole field when we've already lost two key offensive lineman. The Bears arent even playing Fields. Nathan Peterman is going to start and the Bears are already bad. Take your chance and see if your backups can knock them off. The fact that we're risking more injuries in a meaningless game is just plain stupid. And even if the Cardinals pull of a miracle, we get the 2 seed and have to play two of the hottest teams in the NFC. Not ideal

No less, chances are we're catching the Giants regardless and the Giants are going to rest this week. So the Giants are getting an entire week of rest while we're going to "fight for our lives" against a sh#t team on a sh#t field in sh#t weather just to move up a seed that would make our road even more difficult. Just absolutely stupid. :steamed:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

If the Giants are resting starters why would KOC play any of his starters in a game that literally means nothing for playoff seeding purposes? That strikes me as both unnecessarily risky and provides their likely first round opponent with an advantage before the game is even played.

I know KOC probably wants some redemption after the debacle against the Packers but this isn't the way to get that. The Bears are out of contention for anything beyond a higher first round pick. They can't knock the Vikings out of the playoffs or ruin their chances to win the division or literally anything of import. For them it's a chance to play one more game before wrapping things up for the offseason. Maybe a few of their players want to put some things on tape for free agency and/or in prep for offseason evaluations, but if there is a definition of a meaningless game with only downside risks for the Vikings, this upcoming game against the Bears is it.

Rest the starters and start working on the plan to win the first playoff game. Nobody is going to care if the Vikings are accused of overlooking the Bears this time. Equally, nobody is going to care if the Bears beat the Vikings 41-0 either if the starters are resting and getting prepared to play the game that actually matters the following week.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I could see playing the starters the first quarter. Just to iron out some bugs and get a little confidence.
But let’s see what the backups have in them.
I for one, would like to see how Mullen’s does. Just to see if the offense has any consistency.
And let’s hope no serious injuries.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:11 pm If the Giants are resting starters why would KOC play any of his starters in a game that literally means nothing for playoff seeding purposes? That strikes me as both unnecessarily risky and provides their likely first round opponent with an advantage before the game is even played.

I know KOC probably wants some redemption after the debacle against the Packers but this isn't the way to get that. The Bears are out of contention for anything beyond a higher first round pick. They can't knock the Vikings out of the playoffs or ruin their chances to win the division or literally anything of import. For them it's a chance to play one more game before wrapping things up for the offseason. Maybe a few of their players want to put some things on tape for free agency and/or in prep for offseason evaluations, but if there is a definition of a meaningless game with only downside risks for the Vikings, this upcoming game against the Bears is it.

Rest the starters and start working on the plan to win the first playoff game. Nobody is going to care if the Vikings are accused of overlooking the Bears this time. Equally, nobody is going to care if the Bears beat the Vikings 41-0 either if the starters are resting and getting prepared to play the game that actually matters the following week.
Agreed and yes, Giants are resting. They are locked into the 6 seed. Cannot move up or down.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:05 pm
This honestly infuriates me that we are playing starters. Granted, nothing is guaranteed in the NFL but the chances the Cardinals beat the 49ers are slim as slim gets. We know who the 6 seed will be already in the Giants. It's a team you know you can beat compared to either the Lions or Packers who are two teams that you've recently lost to.

This is an easy opportunity to rest your starters, get healthy and prepare for the Giants. Instead, we are going to have our starters play on another sh#thole field when we've already lost two key offensive lineman. The Bears arent even playing Fields. Nathan Peterman is going to start and the Bears are already bad. Take your chance and see if your backups can knock them off. The fact that we're risking more injuries in a meaningless game is just plain stupid. And even if the Cardinals pull of a miracle, we get the 2 seed and have to play two of the hottest teams in the NFC. Not ideal

No less, chances are we're catching the Giants regardless and the Giants are going to rest this week. So the Giants are getting an entire week of rest while we're going to "fight for our lives" against a sh#t team on a sh#t field in sh#t weather just to move up a seed that would make our road even more difficult. Just absolutely stupid. :steamed:
Nothing is guaranteed so just give your team some rest. Can you imagine a rested Barkley attacking us on our surface after trying hard against the Bears?
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Fields is not going to play for the Bears, either. Should be like a preseason game, honestly.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:30 pm Fields is not going to play for the Bears, either. Should be like a preseason game, honestly.
If we're going to lose to a backup QB, might as well be on purpose. I don't think the Bears want to win this either though, so battle of the backups maybe who want to put something on tape
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Justin Fields isn’t playing. He’s the only thing the Bears have that resembles an actual NFL offensive player. With Fields in street clothes, the Vikings could probably win this game with backups, so I’m not sure why KOC is trotting starters out there. JJ isn’t likely to get the record now. Why risk getting him and others hurt? Activate Ty Chandler, start Nick Mullens, play a lot of Jalen Nailor and Brian Asamoah, and let’s see what the young guys can do.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Tark
Starter

Post by Tark »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:05 pm

PHP: You nailed it, brother.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Yeah....you guys already nailed it. Not a fan of even starting them (if pulled after one q), after watching us lose multiple lineman recently.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Seems like the Bears have zero interest in winning this game. They have been in tank mode ever since they traded some of their best defensive players early this season.

Perhaps more interesting this week will be this: Was the Vikings' slipping on Lambeau due to our players' decision to not wear the right cleats or because the field was THAT messed up? The answer should come very clearly on SNF, when another indoor/ artificial turf team, the Lions, plays on the same crappy surface. I really hope Seattle loses, so that the Lions have a shot at beating the Pack and getting in.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:14 pm Justin Fields isn’t playing. He’s the only thing the Bears have that resembles an actual NFL offensive player. With Fields in street clothes, the Vikings could probably win this game with backups, so I’m not sure why KOC is trotting starters out there. JJ isn’t likely to get the record now. Why risk getting him and others hurt? Activate Ty Chandler, start Nick Mullens, play a lot of Jalen Nailor and Brian Asamoah, and let’s see what the young guys can do.
This.