Week 17: Vikings @ Packers predictions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Week 17: Vikings @ Packers predictions

Post by CharVike »

cmoss84 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:52 am Anyone know if Irv Smith will play? Never hurts to have 1 more weapon...
He is just starting to practice. I doubt there's enough time left. Last thing I want to see is some bunch 2 TE set anyway unless they sit TJ. I don't see a gain there.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

I like our chances Sunday.

I'd LOVE our chances if I had any faith at all in our defense. Man they have been a disappointment this year.

Never thought I'd see the day where I went into every game hoping Kirk Cousins could bail out our defense again. :shock:

On that note, Kirk is playing great this year. I've never been the hugest fan, but credit where it's due he's playing great.

Think we win 34-27. :govikes:
i'm ready for a beer.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

CharVike wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:27 am
Foreman44 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:06 am

My Vikings have impressed the tar out of me....The CARDIAC EXPRESS...
I think the Cardiac Kids was already taken. There heart to come back and fight to over come odds to win,

We find away..

My hope would be for a Vikings and Bills Super Bowl.The only two 0-4 Super Bowl losers facing each other... one would survive, the other 0-5....

But the difference is the odds. Regular season you lose. There is next week. Playoffs it’s over. We over came odds all year. But sooner or later it bites you in the butt. Playoffs will not be against a weak sister, a Chicago, type. It will be the likes of the Eagles, Cowboys who already beat us good, The 49ers or the like.

It will be very tough. But they have surprised us many times, trailing 33-0 wow, 61 yard field goal ..... wow. Hope there are more wows..

Either way I am proud of my Vikings. Go purple
What I find impressive is that we have over come injuries. We lost our starting LT and C and our team didn't fold. We were using street guys in our secondary. This all starts with our HC. This team don't give up. The Eagles, Cowboys and 49ers all have had bad games this year and some games they were lucky to win. Peg made the 61 yarder. That's no record kick. Our O drove the ball at the end to give him a chance. That's not luck. I also like our OL coach. He turned Bradbury into a player. Ingram is a rookie who has taken his lumps this year but I'm confident the kid will get the best coaching and his play has improved big time. He's a big mean player which helps him. He will get his chance to kick a guys a$$ and has the size to do it. That's refreshing for me. I don't see how any fan can't be happy with the direction we are going.
I am Proud of what my/our team has done/accomplished this season. But odds are one these game, that luck will run out..

Look at two Viking seasons. This years team to the 1998 Vikings. Which team was the best SB contender? Which team would you consider the better SB contender.

I would say. 98 was the better/stronger team..but fell short.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

vikeinmontana wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:27 am I like our chances Sunday.

I'd LOVE our chances if I had any faith at all in our defense. Man they have been a disappointment this year.

Never thought I'd see the day where I went into every game hoping Kirk Cousins could bail out our defense again. :shock:

On that note, Kirk is playing great this year. I've never been the hugest fan, but credit where it's due he's playing great.

Think we win 34-27. :govikes:
Two things related specifically to the defense will make all the difference against the Packers.

First and foremost, they have to stop the Packer run game. While the defense has gotten a lot of criticism overall for mostly leaky coverage schemes, they've been reasonably good at stopping opposing run games. Statistics don't show that as much because they've faced a decent number of teams that field QBs who like to run and that has hurt them, but in terms of their run defense against opposing running backs, that hasn't been a weakness, and I see no reason why that should change against a Packer offense that is pretty average running the ball.

Second, the Vikings have to limit or prevent deep shots by Rodgers. Rodgers is very good at diagnosing coverages pre-snap, and if he sees a matchup on the edge he likes along with a coverage he likes, he'll take those shots. He tried to do it against Peterson in the first meeting of the teams this year, and it would have worked had Watson reeled in the pass. Those deep strikes are dangerous because they can put up quick points for the Packers, and Rodgers doesn't usually need as much time to throw as other QBs because he will release the ball even before the WR is clearly open.

This second concern is bigger for me because the Vikings have been vulnerable to these kinds of throws all year, seemingly no matter who is in coverage and who is running the routes. I think a lot of it has to do with the way Donatell likes to drop his safeties down into the box, but if Rodgers sees it and thinks he can hit it he'll throw it. I hope Donatell comes up with some creative ways to disguise things so maybe Rodgers makes some throws he'd like to have back. Either that, or play up man and try to jam the receivers so they can't get clean releases.

The other thing the Vikings can do is get an early lead and force the Packers to throw it a lot. While that might seem to play to their strengths and the Vikings weakness, the Packers haven't done well this year when Rodgers had to throw a lot. They're actually a pretty limited passing offense, so if the Vikings offense can force them to be one-dimensional as the game wears on, that will make the defense's job easier relatively speaking.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Foreman44 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:09 pm
What I find impressive is that we have over come injuries. We lost our starting LT and C and our team didn't fold. We were using street guys in our secondary. This all starts with our HC. This team don't give up. The Eagles, Cowboys and 49ers all have had bad games this year and some games they were lucky to win. Peg made the 61 yarder. That's no record kick. Our O drove the ball at the end to give him a chance. That's not luck. I also like our OL coach. He turned Bradbury into a player. Ingram is a rookie who has taken his lumps this year but I'm confident the kid will get the best coaching and his play has improved big time. He's a big mean player which helps him. He will get his chance to kick a guys a$$ and has the size to do it. That's refreshing for me. I don't see how any fan can't be happy with the direction we are going.
I am Proud of what my/our team has done/accomplished this season. But odds are one these game, that luck will run out..

Look at two Viking seasons. This years team to the 1998 Vikings. Which team was the best SB contender? Which team would you consider the better SB contender.

Maybe they fell short because they didn’t know how to win close games.

In 1998, the Vikings blew teams out regularly. In fact, 12 of the their 15 regular season wins were by 2 scores or more. They won their division round playoff game by 20. But in close games, they weren’t as good. Including playoffs, they were 3-2 in 1-score games.

With an 11-0 record in 1-score games, this year’s team is battle tested. They don’t give up when they’re behind, and they don’t panic when the game is tight late. An argument could be made that while the ‘98 team was more dominant, this year’s team may be more suited for a deep run in the playoffs, where games are tight.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I don't know why people think everything we do is based on luck. Was the 4th and 18 conversion against the Bills just a lucky play? I thought that play all started when our OL did a great job and allowed Cousins to step up in the pocket and deliver a ball that JJ could make a play on. Then JJ did his thing and went up and got it. That's not luck that was great execution. Yes the Bills fumbled in the end zone. They elected to throw from the end zone and when a mistake happens there it will be ugly. We made the play. I don't even know how luck is determined.
I think the 98 team had much more individual talent. They had 2 HOF WRs playing in their prime years. I don't think any team ever had that. The OL was loaded. Smith was a home run hitter at RB but IMO Cunningham sucked and was finished at this point in his career. He was used up and never was considered a top flight passer to start with. He was a one look and go guy. The go was gone.
I would say we are a better contender now than that team. The big thing is the difference in QB. The other big thing is this team has fought to win every game. Yes I think our D sucks but they have made plays at the right time. Maybe that's there style. That 98 D also sucked but was covered up by big leads. Playing one dimensional is much easier. That 98 team also had luck. They were lucky Moss fell to them in the draft and he made that 98 team what they were. They were lucky that Cunningham found magic in tossing it up to Moss and filled in ok after Johnson got hurt. 98 was probably more luck than this year.
Of course we could get creamed in the playoffs because I think this 49er team is the best. They play D and know how to play football in the playoffs. They could shut our O down by dominating the LOS play. They had luck also by selecting a good fitting QB with the last pick in the draft. They had luck when the other two got hurt. Of course more tape on that rookie QB may do him in also.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

CharVike wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:53 am

I don't know why people think everything we do is based on luck. Was the 4th and 18 conversion against the Bills just a lucky play? I thought that play all started when our OL did a great job and allowed Cousins to step up in the pocket and deliver a ball that JJ could make a play on. Then JJ did his thing and went up and got it. That's not luck that was great execution. Yes the Bills fumbled in the end zone. They elected to throw from the end zone and when a mistake happens there it will be ugly. We made the play. I don't even know how luck is determined.
I think the 98 team had much more individual talent. They had 2 HOF WRs playing in their prime years. I don't think any team ever had that. The OL was loaded. Smith was a home run hitter at RB but IMO Cunningham sucked and was finished at this point in his career. He was used up and never was considered a top flight passer to start with. He was a one look and go guy. The go was gone.
I would say we are a better contender now than that team. The big thing is the difference in QB. The other big thing is this team has fought to win every game. Yes I think our D sucks but they have made plays at the right time. Maybe that's there style. That 98 D also sucked but was covered up by big leads. Playing one dimensional is much easier. That 98 team also had luck. They were lucky Moss fell to them in the draft and he made that 98 team what they were. They were lucky that Cunningham found magic in tossing it up to Moss and filled in ok after Johnson got hurt. 98 was probably more luck than this year.
I'm not trying to argue here but I just see it a little differently. Not a bash on your thoughts at all, just a different view of how you see it.
I know Cunningham was older and at the end of his career but I sure remember him as sucking. That was a hell of an offense and he was great with Carter and Moss. Always remember the one play that they show the highlights of alot when he saw the coverage, then looked at Moss , gave him a huge smile, and then proceeded to torch the D with a long TD to Moss.
I was younger then and still not totally in control of my emotions yet.. so I seriously was up puking through the night/early morning because I was so nervous about the game. I just KNEW we were gonna beat the Falcons and really believed we would beat whoever the AFC team was, and I still to this day feel we would have beat Denver.
Unfortunately the Falcons got some "luck" thrown their way in that game.. as in some luck and some unfortunate things we did.
I still to this day, when talking about that game, pinpoint where I believe the game started going south. That is right before halftime , instead of just going into halftime with a comfortable lead and momentum, we tried to get cute, Cunningham fumbled the ball and the Falcons recovered and were able to score and went in with a new momentum.
Then the whole Gary Anderson miss... that's just too painful to even go into. After that I just felt that doom deep inside me.
I guess looking back I really feel that was a better team overall, and had a much better chance of hoisting the Lombardi Trophy.
But man... this team just feels special for some reason. Despite all the flaws they just stick together, keep clawing away and finding a way to win. It just breeds a belief that maybe... just MAYBE..... we can just keep overcoming, keep rolling and hopefully silence all the naysayers who don't believe by winning it all.
I thought we were a team of destiny when the Minneapolis Miracle happened. We blew it in 98, we were absolutely screwed over by Pete Morelli and his officiating crew and had to deal the POS Gregg Williams defense against us in the Bountygate game.
So maybe the tide will turn and it will go our way this year.
I choose to just try and Keep the Faith and Believe. Been through it too many times and came out on the wrong end.
I want this team to defy the odds, be the Buster Douglas of the NFL and shock the world.
Then I can sit back and and remove one of the biggest... heaviest and most cumbersome item in my Bucket List!
Please Vikes... PLEASE!!!
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:27 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:53 am
I'm not trying to argue here but I just see it a little differently. Not a bash on your thoughts at all, just a different view of how you see it.
I know Cunningham was older and at the end of his career but I sure remember him as sucking. That was a hell of an offense and he was great with Carter and Moss. Always remember the one play that they show the highlights of alot when he saw the coverage, then looked at Moss , gave him a huge smile, and then proceeded to torch the D with a long TD to Moss.
I was younger then and still not totally in control of my emotions yet.. so I seriously was up puking through the night/early morning because I was so nervous about the game. I just KNEW we were gonna beat the Falcons and really believed we would beat whoever the AFC team was, and I still to this day feel we would have beat Denver.
Unfortunately the Falcons got some "luck" thrown their way in that game.. as in some luck and some unfortunate things we did.
I still to this day, when talking about that game, pinpoint where I believe the game started going south. That is right before halftime , instead of just going into halftime with a comfortable lead and momentum, we tried to get cute, Cunningham fumbled the ball and the Falcons recovered and were able to score and went in with a new momentum.
Then the whole Gary Anderson miss... that's just too painful to even go into. After that I just felt that doom deep inside me.
I guess looking back I really feel that was a better team overall, and had a much better chance of hoisting the Lombardi Trophy.
But man... this team just feels special for some reason. Despite all the flaws they just stick together, keep clawing away and finding a way to win. It just breeds a belief that maybe... just MAYBE..... we can just keep overcoming, keep rolling and hopefully silence all the naysayers who don't believe by winning it all.
I thought we were a team of destiny when the Minneapolis Miracle happened. We blew it in 98, we were absolutely screwed over by Pete Morelli and his officiating crew and had to deal the POS Gregg Williams defense against us in the Bountygate game.
So maybe the tide will turn and it will go our way this year.
I choose to just try and Keep the Faith and Believe. Been through it too many times and came out on the wrong end.
I want this team to defy the odds, be the Buster Douglas of the NFL and shock the world.
Then I can sit back and and remove one of the biggest... heaviest and most cumbersome item in my Bucket List!
Please Vikes... PLEASE!!!
You bring up a good point about that fumble before halftime. That turned the game into a different battle. The Falcons became a confident group. I was hoping we would get Johnson in there and change the shape of the game and try to get a long time consuming drive together. Take the wind out of the Falcons. It's all history and we all have an opinion about it. I just hope that for once our team finds a way to battle through the playoff field. We have a solid team and can find ways to win. I also like our young HC. He's different. He played at the top level so he's knows what it's about from that perspective. Our guys might not be the most talented group but we have some good leaders who seem intense about winning. The players are into what our HC is preaching and that's a great benefit. He gives out the credit across the board. He knows it's never one phase but all three phases that must play good ball. We are in the tournament and that's the first step.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pete Bercich does a nice breakdown of the Packers defense in this week’s edition of Film Room.

He makes some great observations. In the first half, he showed how Green Bay’s linebackers and DBs do a very poor job against the run, allowing chunk plays on the ground and setting up confusion for Green Bay on play-action pass plays. They’re very vulnerable.

In the second half, the plays were still there, but basically tha Dolphins and especially Tua stunk. In one case, his receiver had no idea what he was doing and ran the wrong route. Tua threw to him anyway and got picked. The other two picks, Tua just threw terrible passes to open receivers.

In other words, it wasn’t really the Packers defense forcing 3 picks. It was more the Dolphins ineptitude. And the film bears that out.

I’m not into predicting outcomes. Our defense has got to get pressure on Rodgers, or he could have a big day. But having watched that session of Film Room, I’m convinced that the Vikings can move the ball and score on Green Bay. They make a lot of mistakes, guys trying to be heroes. If we can slow Rodgers at all, which plenty of teams have done this year, we’ll win this game. Defense HAS to show up.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

Don’t get me wrong.... I mentioned the odds are against us. I did say lucky. We were in many of those wins. What are the odds of over coming a 33 point lead at half time. More so than the 61yard field goal.....this two examples. It could be said the same on most of our wins... Does that make us a bad team.... not at all. Stat wise many teams might be better... But good teams find ways to win. Bad teams find ways to lose.

I always said chemistry is important. I believe we had with Keemun at about, has he accomplished any thing close after. We had that team chemistry.

I believe this team has that... I believe they believe they are never out of
The game..

The odds are against us. The 49ers, Eagles, Cowboys are going to be tough wins, very tough games to win, But we can.

Odds are against us in my belief. But in reality it is with every team
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Would be nice to see Jalen Reagor break a punt return for a TD today. Last and only punt return TD was at this place. Seems like a perfect fit for the season.
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

I'm just disgusted by this performance. I can't even comment beyond that.