Vikings-Giants POST GAME

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Re: Vikings-Giants POST GAME

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:06 pm

Of course, there is the alternative theory...

KOC's true genius will be revealed once the playoffs start. He's been toying with the rest of the league, convincing everyone the Vikings have problems on both sides of the ball and aren't a great team. He'll finally let all 3 units play 4 quarters once the playoffs start. KOC is playing rope-a-dope with everyone before he unleashes the Kraken version of the Vikings in the playoffs on their way to this year's Superbowl.

:shock:

:lol: :smilevike: :govikes: :v):
That would be great, though unlikely.

Sometimes a positive can also be a negative. I think that because of his innovative thinking, and offensive cleverness, maybe even brilliance, he needs to know when to punt. He needs to know when to run a simple 3 yard play on 3rd and 2 instead of a 20 yard pass that he drew up that week.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I've probably posted this before, but it bears repeating.

I've studied leadership a bit in my life. Read several books, listened to many podcasts by people who are respected as leadership experts. From that study, my conclusion is that Kevin O'Connell fits the description of an "empowering leader."

The greatest trait of this type of leader is this: "Empowering leaders create other leaders."

An empowering leader finds the potential leaders within the group and trains and equips them to step up and lead. By doing that, the overall leader not only has more time to concentrate on other details, he also gains respect from the most seasoned team members, which filters down to the less experienced guys. It's a very efficient way to lead.

I see this all over Kevin O'Connell. He has allowed leaders like Patrick Peterson and Brian O'Neill and C.J. Ham to flourish in their respective leadership roles. He has literally turned Kirk Cousins from a corporate lackey into a strong leader by allowing him to live in his own skin. Cousins isn't an "alpha dog." He's a nerdy dad. That wasn't acceptable with Mike Zimmer. It's perfectly fine with KOC, and because it's acceptable to KOC, it's absolutely embraced by the team. Loudest cheer when KOC announced Pro Bowl selections? Andrew DePaola. Second loudest? Kirk Cousins.

The potential issue with empowering leaders is that they can give up too much power. They can lose control. The best of them find ways to maintain their authority. Thus far, it's clear that KOC has maintained authority. Patrick Peterson and others have talked about it ... he's collaborative, but there's never a question of who's in charge. I think one thing that contributes to that is that KOC is accountable. When he needs to be better, he owns it. The team respects that.

Not to beat a dead horse, but Mike Zimmer was a very different kind of leader. He's what's known as a "domineering leader." The thought about that type of leader is this: "Domineering leaders create COMPLIANT followers."

It's basically “my way or the highway.” They intimidate or threaten people into following them. This might produce short-term results (Vikings 2014-2017), but long term, they can be devastating. Domineering leaders foster a culture of fear, which produces ‘yes’ people. The followers are sheep. Domineering leaders get compliance, but not commitment. It was obvious at the end of Zimmer's tenure that he didn't have the team's full commitment. That's how you lose 8 one-score games in one season. KOC has it in spades.

Thus far, the KOC hire is an absolute home run. In fact, I'd says he's the best young-coach hire in the NFL since Sean McVay. People want to put Mike McDaniel of Miami on the same or higher level as KOC. What a joke! McDaniel is the nerd who goes into a dark room for 36 hours to devise diabolical plays. He's a theorist who's never played. And he doesn't lead men. KOC is both football brilliant AND charismatic as a leader.

Don't know if KOC will win Coach of the Year. Too many voters don't believe in the Vikings. But to me, it says MORE about KOC that he's coaxed a 12-3 record out of a team that might not have 12-3 talent, and certainly SHOULDN'T be 12-3 based on the number of close games they've been in. You win 11 straight 1-score games, you can coach. But I'm not a voter, so there you go.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:35 pm Sometimes a positive can also be a negative. I think that because of his innovative thinking, and offensive cleverness, maybe even brilliance, he needs to know when to punt. He needs to know when to run a simple 3 yard play on 3rd and 2 instead of a 20 yard pass that he drew up that week.
My son complained about that 20 yarder too, and I agree it was very aggressive.

However, Adam Thielen was wide open on that play. It wasn't obvious what was going on because he ended up more or less where JJ was and the announcers seemed to think that was a problem, but Thielen would have walked in for an easy TD had Cousins decided to throw it more down the field for him. As it stood it wasn't clear who the target was as it was a bit high for JJ and the two of them were right in the same spot, but Thielen would have walked in otherwise.

KOC should study that play. Yeah, it didn't work out for them in that particular situation, but with some slight adjustments that one might be something they could use in the future if, say, JJ were to curl back in while Thielen continues down the field.

Agree with you on the punting for sure. I suspect KOC has finally learned his lesson on that.
Last edited by VikingLord on Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:09 pm I see this all over Kevin O'Connell. He has allowed leaders like Patrick Peterson and Brian O'Neill and C.J. Ham to flourish in their respective leadership roles. He has literally turned Kirk Cousins from a corporate lackey into a strong leader by allowing him to live in his own skin. Cousins isn't an "alpha dog." He's a nerdy dad. That wasn't acceptable with Mike Zimmer. It's perfectly fine with KOC, and because it's acceptable to KOC, it's absolutely embraced by the team. Loudest cheer when KOC announced Pro Bowl selections? Andrew DePaola. Second loudest? Kirk Cousins.
Player leadership is everything on a winning team. Inevitably, things are going to fall apart on the field at times. Opposing teams are going to get the better of a few critical plays. The refs will insert themselves. Key guys will be injured and have to go out, sometimes for extended stretches. That's when player leadership has to step up. Guys have to set examples and most importantly, inspire every teammate to believe they too can and will make the plays that need to be made, whether that is a huge catch on 4th-and-18, a fumble recovery in the end zone, or a 61 yard field goal to close out a game.

KOC is a big part of that. As you note, he has unlocked the player leadership on this team, and as a result he's gotten the best out of everyone.

I personally like it that the Vikings remain under the radar and KOC also isn't getting talked about as much for coach of the year as some others. That's fine with me. Let the heat of the spotlight fall on other teams and other head coaches. For now, at least. That keeps distractions to a minimum for the Vikings and KOC. Time will clarify everything for everyone, and when it does, those who have earned the awards and accolades will get them. Until then, I'm glad the focus remains on the game ahead.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:09 pm I've probably posted this before, but it bears repeating.

I've studied leadership a bit in my life. Read several books, listened to many podcasts by people who are respected as leadership experts. From that study, my conclusion is that Kevin O'Connell fits the description of an "empowering leader."

The greatest trait of this type of leader is this: "Empowering leaders create other leaders."

An empowering leader finds the potential leaders within the group and trains and equips them to step up and lead. By doing that, the overall leader not only has more time to concentrate on other details, he also gains respect from the most seasoned team members, which filters down to the less experienced guys. It's a very efficient way to lead.

I see this all over Kevin O'Connell. He has allowed leaders like Patrick Peterson and Brian O'Neill and C.J. Ham to flourish in their respective leadership roles. He has literally turned Kirk Cousins from a corporate lackey into a strong leader by allowing him to live in his own skin. Cousins isn't an "alpha dog." He's a nerdy dad. That wasn't acceptable with Mike Zimmer. It's perfectly fine with KOC, and because it's acceptable to KOC, it's absolutely embraced by the team. Loudest cheer when KOC announced Pro Bowl selections? Andrew DePaola. Second loudest? Kirk Cousins.

The potential issue with empowering leaders is that they can give up too much power. They can lose control. The best of them find ways to maintain their authority. Thus far, it's clear that KOC has maintained authority. Patrick Peterson and others have talked about it ... he's collaborative, but there's never a question of who's in charge. I think one thing that contributes to that is that KOC is accountable. When he needs to be better, he owns it. The team respects that.

Not to beat a dead horse, but Mike Zimmer was a very different kind of leader. He's what's known as a "domineering leader." The thought about that type of leader is this: "Domineering leaders create COMPLIANT followers."

It's basically “my way or the highway.” They intimidate or threaten people into following them. This might produce short-term results (Vikings 2014-2017), but long term, they can be devastating. Domineering leaders foster a culture of fear, which produces ‘yes’ people. The followers are sheep. Domineering leaders get compliance, but not commitment. It was obvious at the end of Zimmer's tenure that he didn't have the team's full commitment. That's how you lose 8 one-score games in one season. KOC has it in spades.

Thus far, the KOC hire is an absolute home run. In fact, I'd says he's the best young-coach hire in the NFL since Sean McVay. People want to put Mike McDaniel of Miami on the same or higher level as KOC. What a joke! McDaniel is the nerd who goes into a dark room for 36 hours to devise diabolical plays. He's a theorist who's never played. And he doesn't lead men. KOC is both football brilliant AND charismatic as a leader.

Don't know if KOC will win Coach of the Year. Too many voters don't believe in the Vikings. But to me, it says MORE about KOC that he's coaxed a 12-3 record out of a team that might not have 12-3 talent, and certainly SHOULDN'T be 12-3 based on the number of close games they've been in. You win 11 straight 1-score games, you can coach. But I'm not a voter, so there you go.
As always enjoyed your read, opinion. I envy those of you who can write. I am not that person.

Question? You voiced your ratings. McVay, KOC.mcdaniel.
Where do you rate Lafluer GB?

I agree KOC should be in the running for coach of year. The best signing of a head coach this year..

I wanted Zimmer gone last year. But looking forward. If that happened who would have been our coach today? Better than KOC.. We will never have that answer. It is what it is.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Asamoah film breakdown:

mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Foreman44 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:32 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:09 pm I've probably posted this before, but it bears repeating.

As always enjoyed your read, opinion. I envy those of you who can write. I am not that person.

Question? You voiced your ratings. McVay, KOC.mcdaniel.
Where do you rate Lafluer GB?

I agree KOC should be in the running for coach of year. The best signing of a head coach this year..

I wanted Zimmer gone last year. But looking forward. If that happened who would have been our coach today? Better than KOC.. We will never have that answer. It is what it is.
Thanks. I appreciate that.

LaFleur. Tough one.

I feel like he walked into a situation that couldn’t be anything other than a win. He inherited a HOF quarterback. The best receiver in football (at the time). A solid O-line. Two good running backs. A relatively weak division. It was all set up for him, and he went 39-10 his first 3 years.

At the same time, there were issues. I don’t care what they say, I don’t believe he and Rodgers have ever seen eye to eye. Not completely. On one hand, if you’re a first-year coach like LaFleur, who played no higher than Division II football, how do you walk in and demand that a guy like Aaron Rodgers change the way he plays? On the other hand, if you’re Rodgers, how can you constantly be such a freaking tool? Can you at least TRY to see a different point of view?

Those chinks in the armor didn’t hurt them too much in the regular season. But they really came to light in the playoffs, where the Packers have woefully underperformed under LaFleur. And when they lost 5 straight this year, the finger-pointing was out in full force.

Granted, KOC hasn’t coached a playoff game yet. And the Vikings have yet to lose two consecutive games under O’Connell, so we don’t know how they’ll fare during a losing streak. But we’ve seen the Vikings play 3 terrible games and lose, only to bounce back with wins all three times. We’ve seen them pick themselves up off the mat many times DURING games this year and pull out victories.

And talk about a coach — an ex-NFL quarterback who commands respect as such — getting the most out of an incumbent veteran. Shocking fact … if you only counted his 4th-quarter comebacks of 10 or more points, Kirk Cousins would still rank second in the NFL with 4! That’s a coach taking an average quarterback and turning him into a winner.

So for my money in the McVay tree, KOC ranks ahead of Matt LaFleur. KOC has done just as much with a lot less talent. He ranks ahead of Brandon Staley, who still has yet to coach a team to the playoffs in spite of perennially having one of the best rosters in football. And he ranks at least close to Zac Taylor, who I give the nod at this point for reaching the Super Bowl.

And you’re right … as tough as last year was to watch, the timing couldn’t have been better for the inevitable coaching change. HUGE kudos to Kwesi and the search team for being patient and waiting for O’Connell to finish winning a Super Bowl. Absolutely a home-run hire.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.