Week 16: Giants @ Vikings predictions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Week 16: Giants @ Vikings predictions

Post by CharVike »

I think we win this game. I don't even know what to make of this Giant team. They have shown they will beat the lesser teams most of the time and they did beat the Titians. It looks like their defense can play some good ball. D Jones I guess he's an RPO guy who can do everything but can't do anything at a high level. I would call him a poor mans Josh Allen. They also don't have much at WR so I guess they will rely on Barkley to carry the load. This sets up perfect for Dumbos 3-4 heavy set. I don't see us bringing pressure because we will be too worried about the ground game and Jones taking off so everybody will stay home. I guess 24-16.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Week 16: Giants @ Vikings predictions

Post by Texas Vike »

This is not a team I've watched much this year, frankly because they are boring as heck.

None of their losses are ugly. They've lost to some solid teams: the Cowboys (twice), the Eagles, the Lions, and the Seahawks. They've beaten some decent ones: the Ravens, the Titans, the Jags and Commanders.

We seem to match up pretty well with them. Our run D is definitely better than our pass D. Saquon seems to be all they really have. Danny Dimes can run the ball decently and we don't always defend that well, so we'll need to plan for that.

I would expect our O to score at least a few TDs since they've done that against some of the best Ds in the league. I suppose we'll keep it close like we always do and win in the end. Feels like a 24-20 game, to me.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Vikings win
Giants lose
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

For those that think the Vikings aren't as good as their record, well...neither are the Giants. Barkley is great, but that's about all they got. The NFC East is somewhat of a mirage, especially New York & Washington. Both of these teams took a step forward from last year, but they really aren't playoff caliber teams. I keep thinking that before the season's over, the Vikings will play a complete game and get a convincing win, but coming off the emotional comeback, maybe this game won't be it. I still think they pull out the win, but I'm prepared for another sweat job. Vikings 24-20.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Should be another close game, 24-27 Vikes.

If they can stop Barkley running and can cover him coming out of the backfield we should be ok. He scares the hell out of me though.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

I predict I will be at this game as I'm flying to Minnesota Saturday Morning scheduled arrival is 10:19 AM and my daughter has purchased a ticket for me. Of course my flight could be delayed cancelled etc.......
But I'm optimistic things will work out right. My ticket is total nosebleed location section 330 row 10 seat 7 if anybody wants to stop by and say hello.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:32 pm I predict I will be at this game as I'm flying to Minnesota Saturday Morning scheduled arrival is 10:19 AM and my daughter has purchased a ticket for me. Of course my flight could be delayed cancelled etc.......
But I'm optimistic things will work out right. My ticket is total nosebleed location section 330 row 10 seat 7 if anybody wants to stop by and say hello.
Enjoy the game! I hope you get there without any trouble and get to see a win.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Texas Vike wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:40 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:32 pm I predict I will be at this game as I'm flying to Minnesota Saturday Morning scheduled arrival is 10:19 AM and my daughter has purchased a ticket for me. Of course my flight could be delayed cancelled etc.......
Enjoy the game! I hope you get there without any trouble and get to see a win.
Thanks. :govikes:
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Hope you get there. Should be a great time. Maybe something great will happen like it did last week for another poster.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Injury report. Bradbury is out. Dantzler questionable. Kendricks questionable but full practice. P Jones full participation. He's listed as a DE but I'm not sure were Dumbo has him playing. Could be anywhere but where he can play his best ball.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:10 pm
Hope you get there. Should be a great time. Maybe something great will happen like it did last week for another poster.
With the storm Wednesday and the high winds lots of flights have been cancelled. Hopefully that will be fully resolved and my flight won't be delayed. On the Website it's still showing on time. :thumbsup:
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Giants have another RPO QB and those guys have given the Vikings fits this season so far. Barkley has been giving defenses fits all year, but otherwise the Giants don't have a lot of firepower on offense. It will be interesting to see how Donatell calls the defensive game. What worked well in the 2nd half of the Colts game to stymie Matt Ryan most likely won't work as well against the Giants. He's going to have to keep things tight but will have to keep Jones from taking advantage of that and using his legs.

Giants defense is another story. Not a great defensive team but opportunistic and their strength (passing defense) matches up well against the Vikings offensive strengths. Still, the Giants aren't a great defense overall, especially compared to some of the defenses the Vikings have faced in the 2nd half of this season. Provided the offensive line plays well for the Vikings, I like the matchup.

I think the keys to this game for the Vikings are to come out focused. Last week's game was another roller coaster ride with a lot of emotion, so they'll be challenged to come out and not have a letdown like they did against Dallas after the OT win in Buffalo. Defensively, I think they have to keep being aggressive and try to be disruptive while not being reckless. Don't let Jones beat them with his legs and contain Barkley. Definitely want to eliminate the big gainers that have plagued them this season. Just a consistent and competent effort is needed on defense.

Offensively, the Vikings need to get after the Giant secondary and take the top off a bit earlier in the game. Running out of bunched formations and playing it safe with shorter throws is fine in certain game situations, but when the offense is more aggressive and forces the defense to defend the length and width of the field, good things tend to happen for the offense and running game. I think the offense would greatly benefit from a more open and aggressive approach early. When they're up by 14+ in the 4th they can shift to a more conservative approach.

Along those lines, KOC has to show he understands the above. The last few weeks I get the sense he's trying to force the run game early and, because that is not working, he's then trying to force things on 4th downs with somewhat reckless decisions that are costing him points and obviously not working. I think if he opens things up earlier he won't put himself in those positions where the offense is in 4th-and-short on his side of the 50. His playcalling should try to send a message, yes, but not a caveman message of brute force or imposition of will by strength, but the message that we're going to test the opposition right out of the gate and make them defend everywhere. Cool them off, back their LBs and secondary up, make them worry a bit. The Vikings have the offensive weapons to do that and need to set that tone early.

Lastly, special teams needs to reel it in a bit. Way too many negative plays from those units lately. Those units need a consistent game this week where they execute. No more big returns on kickoffs or punts, no more blocked kicks unless they are the ones doing the blocking. This is a big game for the special teams to prove they won't be a liability as the team heads into the stretch run before the playoffs.

No score prediction. My gut tells me this is going to be another close game, but I sure would like to see the Vikings get a win along the lines of what they managed against the Packers in the 1st game this season. The Vikings will be in their home whites with a whiteout in the crowd. Last home game of the regular season. I'm looking for this game to set the tone for the stretch run and position the team for the playoffs.
SunyP
Practice Squad

Post by SunyP »

Finally an easy one...Vikes 27 Giants 16
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

I really hope you get there. Everything so hectic. Enjoy the game.

My prediction. Close, down to wire. Last possession deciding, a last minute score or a last minute defensive stop for the win.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Foreman44 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:58 am
I really hope you get there. Everything so hectic. Enjoy the game.

My prediction. Close, down to wire. Last possession deciding, a last minute score or a last minute defensive stop for the win.
I got there in plenty of time and you nailed your prediction. 61 yard FG longest in Vikings history.