What did I just watch?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Re: What did I just watch?

Post by Crax »

Purple Domination wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:50 pm Unreal! I love that Burleson is a homer and doesn’t even try to hide it. That was one to remember! Skol
Yeah. Love Burleson. He played for Seattle as well, but is always pumping the Vikings.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

OK, first and foremost, what is up with the refs lately? It's been really bad, but today's game it hit a crescendo of crappy. Not one, but two, fumbles that the Vikings legitimately returned for TDs were blown dead either pre-fumble or post-fumble. That last one was a complete mystery why they blew it dead. And it didn't stop there. A phantom facemask call against Boyd on Reagor's big punt return was a big deal too. I mean, sure, it's hard to win in the pros, but much, much harder when the refs are directly inserting themselves into games like that without real cause. The rule that states if the whistle blows the play can't be reviewed should be eliminated. A ref screwup is a screwup - if the instant replay rule exists to ensure refs don't screw up a result, then refs should not be able to eliminate that review simply because they blew the whistle. The NFL needs to fix this during the offseason.

Second, the Vikings have some real warriors on this team. I mean, they were so far behind I thought there was no way they could possibly come back. Maybe make it respectable, but I figured it was over. But KJ Osborne, JJ, Cook, Cousins, Shelley, Pat Pete, Darrisaw, etc., just battled out there. Battled till they literally couldn't play another down. I don't know if this team can have postseason success, but in terms of character and spirit, they left me in awe.

Third, the defense really tightened up in the 2nd half. They needed to get stops and get off the field and they managed to do that. They started horribly but somewhere in the 2nd half they seemed to get it figured out and started making some plays on the ball. I'm not sure if this will start a trend, but given what they faced and how long the odds were, I was impressed at how they battled and adjusted.

Fourth and finally, KOC has to stop going for it on 4th down on his side of the 50. I know he wants to generate confidence and momentum, but he basically handed the Colts 6 points with those failures. Yeah, it made for great late game drama, but it was not necessary. There is a time and a place to be aggressive on 4th down. Early in games deep in your own territory is not the time or place. Punt it away and let your defense do it's job.

The Vikings have 3 games left to show they can put together a complete game from start to finish. The pressure is off. They have a great shot at the 2nd seed and at least ensure themselves a home playoff game. This season has been such an amazing journey so far. I'd like to believe that the football gods have something special planned for this most cursed fanbase of this most cursed team. That somehow, someway this is their year. After watching some of these games this year, like this one against the Colts and the earlier game against the Bills, I have to believe this team might yet ultimately hoist the Lombardi Trophy this season. As improbable as that sounds, this has been a season of improbabilities. This has been a season of the impossible becoming possible. I'm not sure I'm going to make it to the end of this season, but it just feels like this team is going to find a way.

There is a great movie called "The Warriors". When I think about this team I think about the gang that movie was named after. The odds were stacked against them too and they found a way. Maybe this year's Vikings will also find a way.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingLord wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:31 am I'm not sure I'm going to make it to the end of this season, but it just feels like this team is going to find a way.
:shock:

VL, please tell me you're not dying of cancer (or something else).

I agree with so many of your points. The Refs were so bad in this game that it was hard to believe. I honestly felt like the game might have been fixed at one point.

I also haven't seen anyone take KOC to task for two very questionable play calls: 1) the fake punt (I could see it coming a mile away, so even Jeff Saturday must have) 2) 4th and one and you run a jet sweep to Ham Sammich? Of all the guys to run that, Ham is your choice?

I also have to critique my boy from TCU, Jalen Reagor, who caused two interceptions--one being a pick six. I'm afraid to say that this is probably why he hasn't lived up to his draft pick value. Maybe I'm being too harsh and he just needs more time to work with Kirk and learn the playbook well, but man those were costly and frustrating mishaps.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

How does a team who won the division let a mediocre team score 33 points on them without scoring a single point. That doesn’t really bode well with me. A whole half no points.
We got the win but why do they have to come down to the last 10 seconds.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Texas Vike wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:46 pm Duke Shelly had himself a game too. The memories of what the hell happened are slowly bubbling up in my consciousness, LOL.
Kind of cool to see I wasn't imagining things regarding Shelly's day:
Will Ragatz
@WillRagatz
·
1h
The Vikings' highest graded player vs. the Colts, via
@PFF
: CB Duke Shelley.

He played all 79 defensive snaps with an 83.9 grade, allowed 2 catches on 6 targets for 15 yards, and added 2 PBUs and 3 tackles, including a huge one late in the fourth.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

halfgiz wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:53 am How does a team who won the division let a mediocre team score 33 points on them without scoring a single point. That doesn’t really bode well with me. A whole half no points.
My take? We're not as good as our record might indicate and the Colts are not as bad as theirs would indicate.

Phil Mackey put it pretty well yesterday: This iteration of the Vikings is the Rocky Baloa of the NFL. I think that's accurate. Like Rocky, we have way more heart (desire, determination, passion) than technical skill. Refuse to give up. Always willing their way off the canvas when everyone thinks it's over.

Yo, Adrian!!!! :v):
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I'm still not sure what that was yesterday.

I've been doing this a LONG time, as have some of you. I've seen crazy stuff go against us — the stupid Hail Mary in '75 — and for us — Kramer to Rashad in '80, the Minneapolis Miracle. But all of those things were single moments. This was ... a marathon of delirious moments.

When the Colts went for it on 4th and 1 and didn't get it ... even though it appeared they clearly did (yet another example of the lousy officiating that seems to be plaguing the entire league and bit the Vikings multiple times against the Colts) ... I thought maybe Kirk could drive them down the field and get the tying score. Then they get it all on one amazing play to Cook. On a screen pass, no less, which they've executed terribly for as long as I can remember. All this AFTER Jalen Reagor gets his QB picked because he somehow decides in the middle of a play to not play football anymore.

Don't know if you guys got a chance to read, but in the locker room at halftime, it was Patrick Peterson who motived the team. He said, "All we need is five touchdowns." I mean ... what? Kirk Cousins didn't know if he was serious or sarcastic. But Kevin O'Connell knew. Peterson was going out on a limb and telling the offense, "We're not giving up anything else. Go out and get us 5 touchdowns ... one at a time."

I'm not sure what's more outrageous ... the Vikings scoring 39 points in a half or Peterson guaranteeing this god-awful defense would actually stop somebody, then going out and doing it. But the Vikings had each other's backs. They went out and did it.

All told, I've watched the second half three times now. The last time, I put it through my sound system and cranked it until just below the point of my neighbors calling the police. I was trying to imagine what it was like to be there. My gosh, we have great fans. They hung around. They got louder and louder and louder. And they NEVER let up for the entire half. Incredible.

I've said it many times. Yes, I want the Vikings to win a Super Bowl while I'm still on this planet. But man, I love the journey, especially when it involves games like this. I thought the Buffalo game was the greatest I'd ever seen. Not anymore. Just ... wow.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

makila wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:18 pm Second half was incredible performance. First half was horrible performance. Crazy game. Everyone on the team kept playing and fighting, super impressive in that regard.

Division is ours. Woooo

They sucked the first half. Cousins two picks, , one a to...blocked punt for touchdown.. failed fourth and one leaving them great field position. Add in refs screwing theme over. Defense wasn’t stopping

Second half the opposite. 3 points second half, plus OT. Defense hung strong second half... offensively Cousins, cook, osbourn, Jefferson did there thing.

They are deserving a title like cardiac kids, heart attack kids. Of the like name....how many games did thy comeback from
Tark
Starter

Post by Tark »

Suck that Erin
ERIK the PURPLE
Franchise Player

Post by ERIK the PURPLE »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:48 pm I'm still not sure what that was yesterday.

I've been doing this a LONG time, as have some of you. I've seen crazy stuff go against us — the stupid Hail Mary in '75 — and for us — Kramer to Rashad in '80, the Minneapolis Miracle. But all of those things were single moments. This was ... a marathon of delirious moments.

When the Colts went for it on 4th and 1 and didn't get it ... even though it appeared they clearly did (yet another example of the lousy officiating that seems to be plaguing the entire league and bit the Vikings multiple times against the Colts) ... I thought maybe Kirk could drive them down the field and get the tying score. Then they get it all on one amazing play to Cook. On a screen pass, no less, which they've executed terribly for as long as I can remember. All this AFTER Jalen Reagor gets his QB picked because he somehow decides in the middle of a play to not play football anymore.

Don't know if you guys got a chance to read, but in the locker room at halftime, it was Patrick Peterson who motived the team. He said, "All we need is five touchdowns." I mean ... what? Kirk Cousins didn't know if he was serious or sarcastic. But Kevin O'Connell knew. Peterson was going out on a limb and telling the offense, "We're not giving up anything else. Go out and get us 5 touchdowns ... one at a time."

I'm not sure what's more outrageous ... the Vikings scoring 39 points in a half or Peterson guaranteeing this god-awful defense would actually stop somebody, then going out and doing it. But the Vikings had each other's backs. They went out and did it.

All told, I've watched the second half three times now. The last time, I put it through my sound system and cranked it until just below the point of my neighbors calling the police. I was trying to imagine what it was like to be there. My gosh, we have great fans. They hung around. They got louder and louder and louder. And they NEVER let up for the entire half. Incredible.

I've said it many times. Yes, I want the Vikings to win a Super Bowl while I'm still on this planet. But man, I love the journey, especially when it involves games like this. I thought the Buffalo game was the greatest I'd ever seen. Not anymore. Just ... wow.
I totally agree. I thought Ryan made it too on the 4th and 1. I thought we’ll, maybe a makeup call for all the bulls$$$t calls that went against us.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

PP is turning out to be a great asset to this team. Im betting he wants big bucks next year. No idea how we are going to keep our key players and what will maybe be FA's.
ERIK the PURPLE
Franchise Player

Post by ERIK the PURPLE »

It’s been an interesting and definitely entertaining season. I became a Vikes fan when I was 13 on the day they lost to the 49ers 17-14 in December 1970. I’ve enjoyed and suffered ever since. Although I want to see them win a Super Bowl before I go to Purgatory, I don’t realistically believe this is the year. I’d love to see them do it though just so I can buy a Cousins jersey and give a big middle finger to all the haters.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

I feel much the same. This years team is an entertaining circus performance but nothing capable of a championship run. Sloppy coaching decisions, weak Lines, some critical undisciplined play ( ie Reagor), but a massive load of good luck and a bunch of guys that never seem to quit. Its fun, it leads to victories over weak teams like Indy, but I have zero confidence that it will hold up against KC, Philly, etc........
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:38 pm PP is turning out to be a great asset to this team. Im betting he wants big bucks next year. No idea how we are going to keep our key players and what will maybe be FA's.
He wont. He's spoke on it before. He's publicly said, "I dont need the back up the Brinks truck, I know I'm not 26 anymore". That dude is not about the money whatsoever. He should be an easy keep.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Texas Vike wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:31 pm
halfgiz wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:53 am How does a team who won the division let a mediocre team score 33 points on them without scoring a single point. That doesn’t really bode well with me. A whole half no points.
My take? We're not as good as our record might indicate and the Colts are not as bad as theirs would indicate.

Phil Mackey put it pretty well yesterday: This iteration of the Vikings is the Rocky Baloa of the NFL. I think that's accurate. Like Rocky, we have way more heart (desire, determination, passion) than technical skill. Refuse to give up. Always willing their way off the canvas when everyone thinks it's over.

Yo, Adrian!!!! :v):
Some follow up thoughts on this:
1) take a look at the points differential for other teams with 10 wins or more: Buffalo +135, Cincy +81, KC +92, Philly +143, Dallas +125, SF +128. The Vikings? +2.

2) Other teams within 10 of our +2 point differential (and their records): Miami (8-6), Jacksonville (6-8), Raiders (6-8), Commanders (7-6-1), Lions (7-7), Seahawks (7-7).

Conclusion: Of these two tiers, where do the Vikings fit better? Our record says we're with the Bills, KC, Philly, SF and Dallas, but our point differential says Seahawks, Lions, Commanders, and Raiders, et al.