Colts, Saturday

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Colts, Saturday

Post by Texas Vike »

The Colts are a very strange team this season. They're kind of the opposite of the Lions in that their defense is decent, but their offense has been a train wreck.

Their OL is atrocious and has given Matt Ryan (and Sam Ehlinger, in his starts) no time to throw. They have three good WRs (Pittman Jr, Parris Campbell and the rookie Alec Pierce), a bell cow RB in JT, and some good TEs (they seem to horde them). The key to keeping them in check is getting a pass rush. If we don't do that, we will let Matt Ryan pick us apart. He has had some good days this season, and part of me is afraid he's about to cook again.

Jeff Saturday is Ted Lasso, or so it seemed when he was hired. He's doing a decent job, despite appearing to be in way over his head (is that what happens in the show? I only caught a couple of episodes on a trans-Atlantic flight this summer). The Colts have also gotten some of their key defensive players back, so they may present a bit of a challenge for Kirk and JJ.

We should win, but this D doesn't make me confident, so it'll likely be closer than it ought to be.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Colts, Saturday

Post by VikingLord »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:39 pm The Colts are a very strange team this season. They're kind of the opposite of the Lions in that their defense is decent, but their offense has been a train wreck.

Their OL is atrocious and has given Matt Ryan (and Sam Ehlinger, in his starts) no time to throw. They have three good WRs (Pittman Jr, Parris Campbell and the rookie Alec Pierce), a bell cow RB in JT, and some good TEs (they seem to horde them). The key to keeping them in check is getting a pass rush. If we don't do that, we will let Matt Ryan pick us apart. He has had some good days this season, and part of me is afraid he's about to cook again.

Jeff Saturday is Ted Lasso, or so it seemed when he was hired. He's doing a decent job, despite appearing to be in way over his head (is that what happens in the show? I only caught a couple of episodes on a trans-Atlantic flight this summer). The Colts have also gotten some of their key defensive players back, so they may present a bit of a challenge for Kirk and JJ.

We should win, but this D doesn't make me confident, so it'll likely be closer than it ought to be.
Key for the Vikings will be defensive adjustments. Donatell needs to scrap his zone concepts and go strict man. It doesn't need to be press man, but every DB needs to cover a specific receiver pre-snap and if the Vikings give up something, at least it will be clear who blew the coverage. Also, strict man should give the Vikings DBs a chance to get their hands on some balls and actually break up some pass attempts. Even if they give up some things, it can't possibly be worse than what has been happening.

Overall, I don't really care if Donatell blitzes more. Getting pressure is great, but the coverage has to tighten up regardless and as it stands the defense needs a serious injection of attitude. Stop sitting back and trying to react to what the opposing offense is doing and start dictating.

Offensively, KOC needs to decide before the game how he wants to approach these last few games. Does he want to get too cute and be overly aggressive, or call it and play it smart? There is a difference between aggressiveness and making/taking opportunities. The offense overall needs to execute much better than it did against the Lions, but KOC himself needs to put them into better positions than he did against the Lions. No more going for it on 4th down inside your own 50. That is unnecessary unless you absolutely must have a first down. No more cutesy jump passes by RBs, like, anywhere on the field. Unnecessary risk. Take the points. 2 point conversion attempts in the 3rd quarter are not necessary unless you have a bulletproof playcall. If you need 2, go for 2. Otherwise, take the points. Granted, extra points with Joseph as your kicker are far from guaranteed, but I still think the odds are in your favor if you do that.

The Vikings NEED a solid all-around game this Saturday. They need it for their own confidence if for no other reason. They need their defense to hold the Colts to under 400 yards of total offense, and preferably not give up any huge plays. They need their special teams to execute a lot better as well. They need to show they deserve to be in the playoffs and once there they can play sound, fundamental football that gives them a chance of advancing.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Donatell isn't scrapping anything. This was our starting DL against the Lions Lynch/Phillips/Tomlinson. That's embarrassing. How can a DC even think that has a possibility of working. That's 3 NTs so you won't get any pressure. You need to get pressure on the QB or you are done. No CB can cover forever. Donatell makes any QB we face look like a future HOFer like that Jet QB White who sucks. He crashed against the Bills because they pressured him and sacked him 4 times. This week Matt Ryan will look like a Super Bowl QB again because of Donatell's no pressure defense. He'll stand there loaded up waiting for someone to clear.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:28 am Donatell isn't scrapping anything. This was our starting DL against the Lions Lynch/Phillips/Tomlinson. That's embarrassing. How can a DC even think that has a possibility of working. That's 3 NTs so you won't get any pressure. You need to get pressure on the QB or you are done. No CB can cover forever. Donatell makes any QB we face look like a future HOFer like that Jet QB White who sucks. He crashed against the Bills because they pressured him and sacked him 4 times. This week Matt Ryan will look like a Super Bowl QB again because of Donatell's no pressure defense. He'll stand there loaded up waiting for someone to clear.
If there are no changes to the Vikings defensive approach in this upcoming game, that will bode very ill for KOC's future as a head coach IMHO. The Vikings defense has been really bad these last 5 games, and a blind monkey can see that whatever Donatell has been doing is not working and is easily taken advantage of by opponents. It has to be shaken up. Coming out with the same approach and just expecting better execution by the same players will not work and will indicate, to me anyway, that neither Donatell nor KOC is capable of adapting their approach in the face of overwhelming evidence it is not working. I don't know what it is about people who rise to the head coaching and upper level coaching ranks in the pros, but it seems like they believe they are too smart to fail, even when they are clearly failing.

Don't out-think things - if something isn't working, if reality smacked you in the face, change it up. Try a new approach. See if you can turn the problem upside down and look at things from a different perspective. Just don't keep walking headfirst into a brick wall. 5 straight weeks of 400+ yards allowed on defense is not just bad luck or a few missed assignments. That is a trend, and one that, if not arrested this week, likely spells doom for the team's chances to do anything once they reach the playoffs.

It's also not fair to the offense for the defense to remain so inept. The offense hasn't been consistent either, but they've generally done enough to win and we've witnessed some amazing individual performances on that side of the ball. The defense has to hold up it's end of the bargain here. Each player on that side of the ball has to take personal responsibility now for their performance.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:47 am
CharVike wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:28 am Donatell isn't scrapping anything. This was our starting DL against the Lions Lynch/Phillips/Tomlinson. That's embarrassing. How can a DC even think that has a possibility of working. That's 3 NTs so you won't get any pressure. You need to get pressure on the QB or you are done. No CB can cover forever. Donatell makes any QB we face look like a future HOFer like that Jet QB White who sucks. He crashed against the Bills because they pressured him and sacked him 4 times. This week Matt Ryan will look like a Super Bowl QB again because of Donatell's no pressure defense. He'll stand there loaded up waiting for someone to clear.
If there are no changes to the Vikings defensive approach in this upcoming game, that will bode very ill for KOC's future as a head coach IMHO. The Vikings defense has been really bad these last 5 games, and a blind monkey can see that whatever Donatell has been doing is not working and is easily taken advantage of by opponents. It has to be shaken up. Coming out with the same approach and just expecting better execution by the same players will not work and will indicate, to me anyway, that neither Donatell nor KOC is capable of adapting their approach in the face of overwhelming evidence it is not working. I don't know what it is about people who rise to the head coaching and upper level coaching ranks in the pros, but it seems like they believe they are too smart to fail, even when they are clearly failing.

Don't out-think things - if something isn't working, if reality smacked you in the face, change it up. Try a new approach. See if you can turn the problem upside down and look at things from a different perspective. Just don't keep walking headfirst into a brick wall. 5 straight weeks of 400+ yards allowed on defense is not just bad luck or a few missed assignments. That is a trend, and one that, if not arrested this week, likely spells doom for the team's chances to do anything once they reach the playoffs.

It's also not fair to the offense for the defense to remain so inept. The offense hasn't been consistent either, but they've generally done enough to win and we've witnessed some amazing individual performances on that side of the ball. The defense has to hold up it's end of the bargain here. Each player on that side of the ball has to take personal responsibility now for their performance.
They can't continue as they are. We have very little chance unless everything breaks right for us. This won't happen but I would get back to a 4/3 and get the players back into there career positions. Play Jones, Tomlinson, Philips and Hunter down. Let our vet inside lbers play MLB and provide a break as needed. Insert that speedy rookie LBer outside. And just stay like that and let Smith do what he does best and attack the QB.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

The Colts present an interesting challenge at this particular point in our season.
Our offense should be able to score on their Defense. They have a pretty solid D, but we've done well against the best in the league (except Dallas).

It's their O vs. our D that will determine the game. Matt Ryan has been hot and cold this season. Their OL is horrendous. When they've given up pressures, Ryan has fumbled (a lot) and/or played very poorly. Pass rush is everything for this game. If we don't get pressure, Ryan will pick us apart. Here's the other interesting combo: Ryan's arm is lacking strength at this stage in his career. He doesn't throw many long balls (and his line doesn't give him the time for it anyways). But he can read the field well and dink and dunk with the best of them. If we play soft coverage, we're playing right into their hands. If there is ONE game for Donatell to play with a very different approach, this is it.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:11 pm The Colts present an interesting challenge at this particular point in our season.
Our offense should be able to score on their Defense. They have a pretty solid D, but we've done well against the best in the league (except Dallas).

It's their O vs. our D that will determine the game. Matt Ryan has been hot and cold this season. Their OL is horrendous. When they've given up pressures, Ryan has fumbled (a lot) and/or played very poorly. Pass rush is everything for this game. If we don't get pressure, Ryan will pick us apart. Here's the other interesting combo: Ryan's arm is lacking strength at this stage in his career. He doesn't throw many long balls (and his line doesn't give him the time for it anyways). But he can read the field well and dink and dunk with the best of them. If we play soft coverage, we're playing right into their hands. If there is ONE game for Donatell to play with a very different approach, this is it.
I think the defense needs to do two things to get back on the right track. First thing is play assigned man coverage. Not necessarily press man, but every DB/LB needs a coverage responsibility, and they need to be looking to make plays on the ball when it's in the air too. No more soft zones or uncertain mixed coverages. The secondary needs to tighten up and get more aggressive. Second thing they need is more pressure. If they can't get that pressure from their linemen alone, they need to dial up some blitz packages. Whatever they do, I do NOT want to see another play where they drop a safety down into the box only to have him sitting there with nobody to cover while a deep ball sails over his head or the QB plays pitch-and-catch with a wide open receiver in the middle of the field. If the Vikings want to drop a safety down fine, but if there is no coverage responsibility for him, he should go after the QB. Just don't take a defender away from his ability to actually defend something.

Colts D is good enough that I could see them disrupt Kirk and/or continue shutting the run game down, especially if KOC insists on the same predictable bunched formation run plays that didn't work against the Lions. If KOC wants to run on 1st down that is fine, but he should spread the DBs out away from the box so they can't just blitz in unblocked and tackle Cook/Mattison for losses all game.

This is going to be THE game of the year to see if, and how, the Vikings adjust on both sides of the ball. Can KOC design and call a more effective game than he managed against the Lions, especially if things go against him early? Can Donatell figure out how to stem the bleeding of his defense and get them to start producing?

The game against the Colts is going to tell us a lot about this team's chances in the playoffs I think.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:32 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:11 pm The Colts present an interesting challenge at this particular point in our season.

I think the defense needs to do two things to get back on the right track. First thing is play assigned man coverage. Not necessarily press man, but every DB/LB needs a coverage responsibility, and they need to be looking to make plays on the ball when it's in the air too. No more soft zones or uncertain mixed coverages. The secondary needs to tighten up and get more aggressive. Second thing they need is more pressure. If they can't get that pressure from their linemen alone, they need to dial up some blitz packages. Whatever they do, I do NOT want to see another play where they drop a safety down into the box only to have him sitting there with nobody to cover while a deep ball sails over his head or the QB plays pitch-and-catch with a wide open receiver in the middle of the field. If the Vikings want to drop a safety down fine, but if there is no coverage responsibility for him, he should go after the QB. Just don't take a defender away from his ability to actually defend something.

Colts D is good enough that I could see them disrupt Kirk and/or continue shutting the run game down, especially if KOC insists on the same predictable bunched formation run plays that didn't work against the Lions. If KOC wants to run on 1st down that is fine, but he should spread the DBs out away from the box so they can't just blitz in unblocked and tackle Cook/Mattison for losses all game.

This is going to be THE game of the year to see if, and how, the Vikings adjust on both sides of the ball. Can KOC design and call a more effective game than he managed against the Lions, especially if things go against him early? Can Donatell figure out how to stem the bleeding of his defense and get them to start producing?

The game against the Colts is going to tell us a lot about this team's chances in the playoffs I think.
In fairness, the bunch formations actually did work. Just not in the running game.

If you go to Vikings.com and watch the latest episode of Film Room, it appears those formations were meant to draw 8 or 9 defenders into the box. Three different times, the Vikings got the Lions into a single high safety look and one-on-one with the lone WR on the field. That lone WR? Justin Jefferson, who burned them each time on play action.

I get it that we need to get the running game going. Running Dalvin from a spread formation would certainly help get him some more space. But they had to run a few times out of a heavy formation in order to make the Lions play honest against the run. It was a big reason JJ had the day he did. Also, I think the Vikings are slow to learn that Dalvin is in decline. He ranks very low this year in yards after contact, where he used to excel. Some of those plays he had no chance, but some he did and just didn’t make guys miss the way he used to. The one exception was the TD, which saw Dalvin put a sick move on the one defender who had a chance … which leads me to wonder even more why we tried the goofy jump-pass.

If the Vikings don’t screw up on that 1st and goal at the 3, they score 30 on the road. That should be more than enough to win a game against the Lions. Gotta shore up that defense.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Barry
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Barry »

We need this one. I flew up from South Carolina for my first ever visit and home game. Come on Vikes, win and secure the Division today … do it for me! :D
Fan of:
Hanahan Hawks
South Carolina Gamecocks
Minnesota Vikings
Charleston Battery
FC Bayern München
USMNT & Die Nationalmannschaft
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Barry wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:19 am We need this one. I flew up from South Carolina for my first ever visit and home game. Come on Vikes, win and secure the Division today … do it for me! :D
I lived in South Carolina for many years. I’m a graduate of the College of Charleston. Where do you live?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Barry
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Barry »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:38 am I lived in South Carolina for many years. I’m a graduate of the College of Charleston. Where do you live?
Not wanting to hijack thread.
Born and raised in Charleston. Hanahan mostly. Went to COC in the early 80s.
Moved to Chapin, just outside Columbia last year.

My ‘82 high school class had 5 Viking fans, and we have attended away games together. All Charleston boys.
Fan of:
Hanahan Hawks
South Carolina Gamecocks
Minnesota Vikings
Charleston Battery
FC Bayern München
USMNT & Die Nationalmannschaft
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Barry wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:54 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:38 am I lived in South Carolina for many years. I’m a graduate of the College of Charleston. Where do you live?
Not wanting to hijack thread.
Born and raised in Charleston. Hanahan mostly. Went to COC in the early 80s.
Moved to Chapin, just outside Columbia last year.

My ‘82 high school class had 5 Viking fans, and we have attended away games together. All Charleston boys.
I lived in Charlotte NC by Lake Wylie for a couple decades and was looking for a little info on Lexington SC by Lake Murray. I saw Chapin also and it looks nice. Any info would be helpful.
ERIK the PURPLE
Franchise Player

Post by ERIK the PURPLE »

In honor of Barry’s first Vikes home game, I’m laying big money today on the Vikes.SKOL!!!!
:v): :smilevike:
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:58 am
VikingLord wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:32 pm

In fairness, the bunch formations actually did work. Just not in the running game.

If you go to Vikings.com and watch the latest episode of Film Room, it appears those formations were meant to draw 8 or 9 defenders into the box. Three different times, the Vikings got the Lions into a single high safety look and one-on-one with the lone WR on the field. That lone WR? Justin Jefferson, who burned them each time on play action.

I get it that we need to get the running game going. Running Dalvin from a spread formation would certainly help get him some more space. But they had to run a few times out of a heavy formation in order to make the Lions play honest against the run. It was a big reason JJ had the day he did. Also, I think the Vikings are slow to learn that Dalvin is in decline. He ranks very low this year in yards after contact, where he used to excel. Some of those plays he had no chance, but some he did and just didn’t make guys miss the way he used to. The one exception was the TD, which saw Dalvin put a sick move on the one defender who had a chance … which leads me to wonder even more why we tried the goofy jump-pass.

If the Vikings don’t screw up on that 1st and goal at the 3, they score 30 on the road. That should be more than enough to win a game against the Lions. Gotta shore up that defense.
Yes I guess the bunch formation did work for JJ but don't you think a team should be able to run the ball from that formation. I thought the whole deal with the KOC offense was to spread the defense and give Dalvin those gaps which he will exploit. I never think of Cook as a pound the rock type of back 30 times and get stronger as you go. Like a bigger RB can do. I envisioned a 3 WR attack which spreads the D and gives those gaps. Cook is more like our own Robert Smith than a John Riggins type. I don't think he is declining because the same thing happened under Zim when he was young. He would run him into the ground until he had nothing left.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Inactives
Cornerback Kalon Barnes

Center Garrett Bradbury

Defensive lineman Ross Blacklock

Outside linebacker Pat Jones II

Cornerback Parry Nickerson

No Bradbury is a bummer because the next guy up hasn't shown anything. At least Bradbury might make a block once in awhile. Also DE or in Dantells scheme LBer Jones is out. Again NT/DT sorry DE Blacklock is out. I guess NT Lynch will start at DE again.