Vikings @ Lions post game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Vikings @ Lions post game

Post by VikingsFan84 »

I am not surprised that Vikings lost but hell of a game by Jefferson today and Jefferson broke Sammy White's record of receiving of 210 yards in a regular season game so he gets the game ball even in a loss, but I think Vikings will win the division next week
Tark
Starter

Re: Vikings @ Lions post game

Post by Tark »

One and done or if we’re lucky, two and barbecue in the playoffs.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Tark wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:21 pm One and done or if we’re lucky, two and barbecue in the playoffs.
Yup, as much as it was just one loss it gave us the feeling of what this season is, I dunno about the rest of you but making the playoffs is great, however knowing you have zero chance is beyond bitter sweet. It’s 10-3 but doesn’t feel like a 10-3 should.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

We are sooo SB bound :lol: Cant even beat a 5-7 team. And please, no 'we had so many injuries'. We played agasint injured teams ALL season and you though those wins were real. The Horseshoe is out!
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I wonder how much longer Donatell is going to have a job. The defense is epic bad and it isn't like it gets better at times. Lately its been every game all game against pretty much all teams. They play a passive, but still crappy scheme. Donatell has to do something different or step aside and let someone else try something or this season is going to end abruptly.

And KOC deserves a lot of criticism in this one as well. The early 4th down attempt deep in their own territory was unnecessary. Ditto for the 2 point conversion after the 2nd TD. Why? But THE most frustrating part of that game by KOC was how utterly predictable the run game was. You take a piss poor Lion run defense and make them look like the 2nd coming of the 85 Bears by lining up in obvious tight run formations, allowing the Lions to not only bring all of their DBs in tight, but then also allowing them to all basically blitz their run gaps at the snap. The Vikings gained 22 yards rushing for the game? Wow. The only way that ever happens against a defense like the Lions is if an offense like the Vikings makes it possible by their playcalling and execution failures.

Also, what is it with Dalvin Cook and his propensity to fumble against the Lions? It seems like every time the Vikings play the Lions Cook is good for a fumble.

Man, this team has needed miracles all season to get half their wins. When they don't get them, the result is ugly. I rewatched that first game between these two teams from earlier in the season before this game, and it was a miracle the Vikings won that matchup. No such luck today, and the results without the breaks going for the Vikings have consistently resulted in ugly, lopsided losses.

This team needs a jolt, and the most obvious way to do that is to replace Donatell. Make him a consultant or something, but find someone who can change things up both in terms of scheme and maybe in terms of personnel too.
quiznut1
Practice Squad

Post by quiznut1 »

One win at most in the playoffs, plain and simple.

We should win the division, but we aren't going further than one win in the playoffs. Too many areas the opposition can expose us, and did today.

JJ - career day, and only bright spot on either side of the ball today.
Barry
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Barry »

This team is all smoke and mirrors.
When you are 10-3 and your net points is -1, it is not a good sign.
I agree, we will win the division, and probably the #2 seed, only to lose to the #7 seed.
Fan of:
Hanahan Hawks
South Carolina Gamecocks
Minnesota Vikings
Charleston Battery
FC Bayern München
USMNT & Die Nationalmannschaft
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

quiznut1 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:39 pm One win at most in the playoffs, plain and simple.

We should win the division, but we aren't going further than one win in the playoffs. Too many areas the opposition can expose us, and did today.

Cousins did well too with 425 yards and 2 touchdowns so Cousins and Jefferson are the only bright side on either side of the ball
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

A bad loss. 22 yards rushing. 0 sacks. That's losing the LOS battle. Need to regroup and win these next 2 home games. We were owned this game.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:26 pm We are sooo SB bound :lol: Cant even beat a 5-7 team. And please, no 'we had so many injuries'. We played agasint injured teams ALL season and you though those wins were real. The Horseshoe is out!
Why are you so gleeful about this?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

The run game was pitiful which makes the success in the air even more impressive. Defense is a major problem though. No sacks or interceptions against Goff. :puke:
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:15 pm
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:26 pm We are sooo SB bound :lol: Cant even beat a 5-7 team. And please, no 'we had so many injuries'. We played agasint injured teams ALL season and you though those wins were real. The Horseshoe is out!
That sounds gleeful to you? Was meant to sound like maybe the luck is gone.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Line play was horrible both passing and running games. Yes two starters injured. Definitely was impactful.

Defense I can't say much about. I am down on it and have been. Do not like the scheme and what it does. Yuck.

Kudos jj on the single game yardage record. Kirk had a heck of a game through the air. Much due to complete lack of run game. He did deliver though. WRs seemed good. Hockenson had the one drop for an easy 1st...

I do not get the 2 pt conversion early in the game. I know in hindsight it made no difference. Still don't get it and didn't think it was smart.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:32 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:15 pm
That sounds gleeful to you? Was meant to sound like maybe the luck is gone.
The laugh emoji, the exclamation point, just the whole tone. Sh!t like “and you all thought those wins were real.”

You’ve been telling us all season long how big a fraud this team is. Seems to me you’d rather be right than the Vikings win. Well congratulations. I guess you get to gloat now.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsFan84 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:48 pm
quiznut1 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:39 pm One win at most in the playoffs, plain and simple.

Cousins did well too with 425 yards and 2 touchdowns so Cousins and Jefferson are the only bright side on either side of the ball
Cousins has done well all year. Stands in, takes hits, makes tough throws. In past years I could criticize him but this year he's been a warrior for the most part.

The rest of the offense has generally been good as well, and KOC has generally been solid too, but today I thought KOC's playcalling was atrocious, especially when running. I mean, how many times did the Vikings offense line up in tight, bunched formations on 1st down and then try to run right up the middle? It went on and on and on. How many times did the Vikings allow Lions DBs to just outright run blitz on those plays with no concern at all about getting hit over the top?

That falls solely on the playcaller. Donatell has shown no flexibility or ability to adapt or adjust all year to the point where it would be more surprising now to see the Vikings defense hold an opposing offense under 400 total yards than allow one over that total for a game, but KOC has been quick to adapt and adjust. Today he didn't, and the result, at least in terms of the ground game, was abysmal.