Mock Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Mock Draft

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:58 am If Ika is that good why would he slide that far down? But his size is incredible I'll give that. Davis was/is a good player. He was mentioned on the board last year but we moved far away from him. Basically we missed a few good players based on year 1 after the trade away to the bottom.
Same reason Davis slid - guys who play interior DL and are that large create the impression they're mainly 2 down role players instead of 3 down guys who can get after the passer in addition to anchoring the run.

As to why Ika is less talked about than Davis I don't know. Could be the school each played for and the relatively visibility that resulted from that heading into the draft. However, I expect Ika's stock to rise substantially as the draft approaches and evaluators get a closer look at him and his college tape. I really do see him as a guy who could impact the interior DL at the same level as Jordan Davis, and when Davis was healthy he was every bit the player for the Eagles that I expected he would be coming out.

It will be interesting to see where Ika goes in this draft. I think there is a very good chance he's gone before the Vikings 1st round pick.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

This guy here is a load and a half. O'Cyrus Torrence FL G 6'5 350. Good luck moving or pushing him around. David Dixon again. He'd send H Phillips into early retirement after a few practice sessions which would be great for us and get some cap back. Almost 50 ILBs of mass difference. He's so thick he almost looks short at 6 5. It's still early and I think we will be D heavy with a late WR or RB for the practice squad fill out. Long time out.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:24 pm This guy here is a load and a half. O'Cyrus Torrence FL G 6'5 350. Good luck moving or pushing him around. David Dixon again. He'd send H Phillips into early retirement after a few practice sessions which would be great for us and get some cap back. Almost 50 ILBs of mass difference. He's so thick he almost looks short at 6 5. It's still early and I think we will be D heavy with a late WR or RB for the practice squad fill out. Long time out.
I like Torrence but not at #23. He's good, but not good enough to justify that pick. Take away the dire need the Vikings have along the interior OL and just look at Torrence as a guard prospect and he makes sense maybe in the middle of the 2nd or into the middle of the 3rd. He's not a better prospect coming out than Ed Ingram was out of LSU last year, and all told, if I had a choice between Torrence and Steve Avila out of TCU, I'd take Avila. Heck, I'd probably take Ricky Stromberg ahead of Torrence as I think the need at center is more dire than guard and I really like what Stromberg brings to the table.

The best talent at #23 is shaping up to be RB, CB, and WR for this upcoming draft. DL might be there as well depending largely on how QB crazy the teams drafting between 1-10 get, but more than likely the best value at that pick will be one of those three positions.

I'd say there is a high probability KAM ends up trading down again this year as well. The Vikings probably want to get back into the 2nd round and if KAM thought #12 for #31 made sense for what he got for the trade, it's likely he can be persuaded even more easily to give up #23 for less.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:48 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:24 pm This guy here is a load and a half. O'Cyrus Torrence FL G 6'5 350. Good luck moving or pushing him around. David Dixon again. He'd send H Phillips into early retirement after a few practice sessions which would be great for us and get some cap back. Almost 50 ILBs of mass difference. He's so thick he almost looks short at 6 5. It's still early and I think we will be D heavy with a late WR or RB for the practice squad fill out. Long time out.
I like Torrence but not at #23. He's good, but not good enough to justify that pick. Take away the dire need the Vikings have along the interior OL and just look at Torrence as a guard prospect and he makes sense maybe in the middle of the 2nd or into the middle of the 3rd. He's not a better prospect coming out than Ed Ingram was out of LSU last year, and all told, if I had a choice between Torrence and Steve Avila out of TCU, I'd take Avila. Heck, I'd probably take Ricky Stromberg ahead of Torrence as I think the need at center is more dire than guard and I really like what Stromberg brings to the table.

The best talent at #23 is shaping up to be RB, CB, and WR for this upcoming draft. DL might be there as well depending largely on how QB crazy the teams drafting between 1-10 get, but more than likely the best value at that pick will be one of those three positions.

I'd say there is a high probability KAM ends up trading down again this year as well. The Vikings probably want to get back into the 2nd round and if KAM thought #12 for #31 made sense for what he got for the trade, it's likely he can be persuaded even more easily to give up #23 for less.
I was looking for him to be a G. He's a big human. Ingram has nice size and I give the kid credit for starting the entire year. He has problems with pass blocking. If he didn't he would have went in round 1. Stepping on Kirk's foot 3 times wasn't good but he was probably working on his set for pass blocking and got to wide.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:48 pm

Agreed with all of this. Definitely looks like CB or WR with our first pick and should be best value. If Bijon Robinson isnt sitting at 23, I'd pass on RB because this is another class that will be deep throughout the entire draft. I'm a big Sean Tucker guy. Granted he's out of Syracuse so it's some of the homer in me but Tucker has so often been compared to Thurman Thomas. Kid was an absolute stud at Cuse with very little around him. 2500 rushing yards and 27 total TDs the last two years. He's passes the eye test for a long time NFL RB that's for sure. He is projected to go anywhere between rounds 3-5. For those unfamiliar with Tucker, I attached some highlights below.

youtube.com/watch?v=XU3tFVcOfMA
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

If we stick with this 3 4 we need lbers. We need 4. The kid we picked last year looks like a nickel guy to me. 6 foot 226. I can't see that holding down the middle.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Had a conversation with a guy I coached back in HS who played at Florida, and he says that he would definitely take Torrence in Rd 1. He said that he is huge and that he is that good! Torrence, he said is a Beast and will be there for a long time! I think we let Ezra leave after this year. If draft Torrence, then trade Ezra for a 2024 pick. Torrence could be that difference maker type of player that we need on the OL. I wonder if he is available later in the 1st or maybe even the 2nd. I think that Kwesi trades down to recoup a 2nd rd pick. Maybe a guy falls and we get a team trading up and offering their 1st next year as well?
I would also draft a Center this year. My favorites are Schmitz, Avila, and Stromberg. All 3 are 6'4 and 320+ . Stromberg is known also as high IQ guy.
So if landing 2 OL, I would maybe bring in a vet C for a year. Someone to help the transition to the NFL with a 35 year old Kirk back there. In their 2nd year, I expect them to solidify the OL for a long time. Darrisaw, Torrence, Stromberg, Ingram, O'Neill could become a formidable group.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

CharVike wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:31 pm If we stick with this 3 4 we need lbers. We need 4. The kid we picked last year looks like a nickel guy to me. 6 foot 226. I can't see that holding down the middle.
Completely agree. Asamoah is not really a traditional middle LB in terms of the Ray Lewis, EK, Urlacher size. To maximize his strengths, he needs to be able to make the read and explode with speed on the play. Adding more LB is definitely needed. I could see us utilizing a lot of the FA money on a guy like Tremaine Edmunds. Add another guy or 2 in the draft is imperative as well.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

By the time the draft comes around the Vikings will be looking at needing to replace starters at the following positions to actually improve over last season:

2 CBs
2 LBers
1 WR
Center
IOL
RB

They should be looking towards the future at
QB
Edge
DI
IOL (LG)

Basically any position would be appropriate to draft anywhere in the draft outside of punter and kicker and they should consider spending a 5th or later on a kicker.

If there was ever a year to draft BPA, this is it, and any mock that does that I will be sold on.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:48 am By the time the draft comes around the Vikings will be looking at needing to replace starters at the following positions to actually improve over last season:

2 CBs
2 LBers
1 WR
Center
IOL
RB

QB
Edge
DI
IOL (LG)

Basically any position would be appropriate to draft anywhere in the draft outside of punter and kicker and they should consider spending a 5th or later on a kicker.

If there was ever a year to draft BPA, this is it, and any mock that does that I will be sold on.
I dont think safety is a need right now. I actually think that's one position we're pretty deep at. Even if we lose Harrison, I'm not opposed to starting both Cine and Metellus. I think Bynum needs to be bumped back into a backup role. In the end, our defense was near dead last in the NFL last year. So can it really get much worse than that? This is the perfect time to strip down this defense of aging veterans. Get some youth in there. Get younger, get faster.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:48 am By the time the draft comes around the Vikings will be looking at needing to replace starters at the following positions to actually improve over last season:

2 CBs
2 LBers
1 WR
Center
IOL
RB

QB
Edge
DI
IOL (LG)

Wish I could like your post 10x, because I couldn't agree more.

The Vikings need to start hitting on more of their draft picks. The lack of hits on defense in particular in recent drafts have really shown up on the field. KAM and KOC need to change that starting with this draft regardless of who they take, but especially if they go defense. They cannot afford to use #23 on another bust CB, nor can KAM afford to trade back for a marginal prospect if he has an impact prospect on the board.

And the Wilfs need to stay out of it. They aren't going to get anywhere near a Superbowl with this current roster and I hope they finally realize that now. It's time to step back and let the guys they hired make the difficult calls that need to be made to get the team pointed in the right direction. Otherwise, they may as well have kept Zimmer and Spielman in their positions.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:13 am

2 CBs
2 LBers
1 WR
Center
IOL
RB

QB
Edge
DI
IOL (LG)

I dont think safety is a need right now. I actually think that's one position we're pretty deep at. Even if we lose Harrison, I'm not opposed to starting both Cine and Metellus. I think Bynum needs to be bumped back into a backup role. In the end, our defense was near dead last in the NFL last year. So can it really get much worse than that? This is the perfect time to strip down this defense of aging veterans. Get some youth in there. Get younger, get faster.
Yeah, safety is probably the one position we don't have a need at. Too early to give up on Cine, Smith is still playing well and Mettellus and Bynum are fine.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Trenton Simpson LB 6-3, 240. They need bodies at LBer. and he appears to be the best. I hate wasting a pick on that. LBer looks like the RB position on defense. The best should fall because the demand isn't there. It's better than putting DEs out there. At least this guy can cover and run so the ILBer aren't asked to cover half the field.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:23 pm Trenton Simpson LB 6-3, 240. They need bodies at LBer. and he appears to be the best. I hate wasting a pick on that. LBer looks like the RB position on defense. The best should fall because the demand isn't there. It's better than putting DEs out there. At least this guy can cover and run so the ILBer aren't asked to cover half the field.
Simpson will most likely go anywhere from the middle of the 2nd to the middle of the 3rd. He's not as good a prospect as, say, Jack Campbell out of Iowa (Kapp, if you're out there, any thoughts on Campbell as I know you follow the Iowa teams) who is bigger and has been consistently productive. Campbell could sneak into the lower part of the 1st if he runs fast enough, and while I wouldn't complain if the Vikings took him at #23, I think there will be better prospects there at other positions where LB won't be BPA.

Of course, if KAM trades down, say, into the early 2nd, Campbell would be perfect there if he's on the board.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:08 pm
CharVike wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:23 pm Trenton Simpson LB 6-3, 240. They need bodies at LBer. and he appears to be the best. I hate wasting a pick on that. LBer looks like the RB position on defense. The best should fall because the demand isn't there. It's better than putting DEs out there. At least this guy can cover and run so the ILBer aren't asked to cover half the field.
Simpson will most likely go anywhere from the middle of the 2nd to the middle of the 3rd. He's not as good a prospect as, say, Jack Campbell out of Iowa (Kapp, if you're out there, any thoughts on Campbell as I know you follow the Iowa teams) who is bigger and has been consistently productive. Campbell could sneak into the lower part of the 1st if he runs fast enough, and while I wouldn't complain if the Vikings took him at #23, I think there will be better prospects there at other positions where LB won't be BPA.

Of course, if KAM trades down, say, into the early 2nd, Campbell would be perfect there if he's on the board.
He won't be BPA. He's a 2nd round guy. We need LBers. In a 3 4 that is a must have. Same with 4 3 you need DL. I wouldn't make that pick it's a player I saw for our scheme. Our HC wants that defense so we need the players. Simple as that. If it was Campbell fine. Neither would be the player I would want. We are in a position of no choice. We are bare from a roster stand point. I don't count DEs as lbers.