Mock Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Mock Draft

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:03 pm
VikingsFan84 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:14 am

Who says he will be a 2nd round pick? Vikings could trade down and draft Hooker in the first round like with Cine
I don't even want to hear trade down again. It's painfully obvious it's not worth the phone call or text. The only thing I want to hear is top 5 for a song. Then we have a real chance at a day 1 stud.
I don't think KAM has any compunction against trading down, but with that said, trades should be based on value, and value is based on perception, both of a given pick, but also of the players on the board at that pick.

I never went into any of these mock simulators thinking trade, but when the pick comes up and the offers are made by the simulator compared to what players are still on the board, at least I think a little differently about the options available to me as the mock GM.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

CharVike wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:36 pm
IIsweet wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:12 pm I know, I know... let's finish this season and enjoy how it unfolds...
But, I Love the Draft and the Mocks...
So here is my very first mock draft on the PFN Mock Draft Simulator

36. Hendon Hooker QB Tennessee
75. DeMarvion Overshown LB Texas
93. Ricky Stromberg OC Arkansas
183. Zak Zinter OG Michigan
190. Jaylon Jones CB Texas A&M
Hooker torn ACL out for season.
Will be a 25 year old rookie. No thanks.
I think this is a first for me responding to a mock.lol

Maybe it adds precedence to my thoughts on mock drafts. I agree. I read one of his disadvantages is being 25. Will that drop him out of the first alone, then throw in a torn ACL. How far will he drop? 2-3rd.

Russell Wilson made it to the third...I believe height was his issue...

Vikings went with Cine and Booth with high picks last year.. How much value did we get this yr because of injuries? Didn’t both have injury concerns in college..

All we need is another first rounder on the bench.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

If your 1st rounders are on the bench, that is not always a bad thing... it probably means that you other guys have stepped up or are just better. In our case, Cine had a freak injury. Booth fell due to having been injured in college.
Have to remember also, that the rookies were just playing that last season and putting their bodies thru rigorous training all Spring in preparation for the Combine and Pro Days leading up to the draft. They then go to mini camps and then training camps and onto the field. They never let their bodies rest and heal. Thus a HUGE reason for injuries and tough rookie campaigns. They are physically worn out.
However, you will many times see them start to really pick it up the 2nd half of the season as they are finding a routine.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

IIsweet wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:05 am If your 1st rounders are on the bench, that is not always a bad thing... it probably means that you other guys have stepped up or are just better. In our case, Cine had a freak injury. Booth fell due to having been injured in college.
Have to remember also, that the rookies were just playing that last season and putting their bodies thru rigorous training all Spring in preparation for the Combine and Pro Days leading up to the draft. They then go to mini camps and then training camps and onto the field. They never let their bodies rest and heal. Thus a HUGE reason for injuries and tough rookie campaigns. They are physically worn out.
However, you will many times see them start to really pick it up the 2nd half of the season as they are finding a routine.
Cine just had some bad luck, although even with that bad luck it isn't clear he would have beaten out Bynum this year for the safety spot opposite Smith. Hopefully he comes back from the injury good as new.

There was a good reason Booth dropped. Well, there were actually two good reasons. The first was his injury history in college which, unfortunately, has carried on into his first year as a pro. The second was his tendency to be a little too aggressive in coverage. He's got some pretty amazing athletic abilities, but those didn't always translate to the field in college and, from the relatively limited snaps he took as a pro so far, he looked much the same with the Vikings. And that is saying quite a bit playing CB on a defense where the regular starters are giving up a lot of yardage already.

Booth was always going to be a bit of a coaching project when he was drafted even if he remained healthy. His athletic potential made him worth the pick the Vikings used on him in my view, but he's got a lot of work to do before he is going to see the field on a regular basis, and that assumes he can stay healthy.

On a more general note, it's preferable when any draft picks can earn starting roles and be effective in their rookie season. Ingram and Evans were easily the best picks from last year's draft by that measure as both earned either starting roles outright (Ingram) or were effective filling in for a starter (Evans). Another pick (Asamoah) has been effective on special teams. So the Vikings did get some help from this last year's draft, just not with those first two picks (yet).
ERIK the PURPLE
Franchise Player

Post by ERIK the PURPLE »

Hooker, don’t know much about him. I remember the Browns back in the 70’s had a WR named Fair Hooker. Fair Hooker, always loved that name.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

ERIK the PURPLE wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:43 pm Hooker, don’t know much about him. I remember the Browns back in the 70’s had a WR named Fair Hooker. Fair Hooker, always loved that name.
Harry Colon is my favorite NFL Name. If you count NASCAR Dick Trickle has to be the ultimate.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:23 pm
ERIK the PURPLE wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:43 pm Hooker, don’t know much about him. I remember the Browns back in the 70’s had a WR named Fair Hooker. Fair Hooker, always loved that name.
Harry Colon is my favorite NFL Name. If you count NASCAR Dick Trickle has to be the ultimate.
Trickle was the best name for a laugh. Almost sounds like a drunk bar bet name. Come on anything but Dick.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I think the draft and free agency this year will be crucial.
We have many veterans at ends of their careers and some that don't fit the scheme and would generate some trade interest.
There could be a large pot of FA money available. Not positive though.
I was talking with my brother last night and was watching Van Noy look great playing with Bosa out. That is exactly what I feel we should target. The guy behind the All Pro guy that is ready for starting reps. We will have to pay them, not like our current guys, but we can add more players and make the roster deeper. Give the guys their first shot at being the every day starter and see.

We will be getting back S Cine, CB's Booth and Evans, and LB Asamoah that we should plan on being starters next season. Do we have another LB waiting in the wings? Dye? How about
Is Nailor the guy to replace Thielen? Will Chandler replace Mattison's productivity.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Some free agency to consider before the draft. Based on Overthecap.com numbers.... There looks to be a lot of potential moving parts to our defense...
Potential players to cut and savings below.
Kendricks $9,500,00
Z. Smith - $12,333,333
H. Smith - $7,468,234
Hicks - $5,000,000
That's $34,301,567 in cap savings next year.... In 4 players. Problem is replacing them, but I feel we do so with Cine, Asamoah, and Jones everyday starting. Those guys are in house already. I expect a FA LB. Getting a healthy Booth??? and Evans ?? helps next year too.

Offensively, Cook and Thielen can save us $14+ million. I don't think we cut them, but maybe restructuring Thielen, although this season he has really struggled to create separation.

We do not have a lot of draft picks. If Kwesi and KOC keep Donatell, do we continue the transition to a 3-4? If so, trading Hunter could also net a 1st rd draft pick.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

IIsweet wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:31 am Some free agency to consider before the draft. Based on Overthecap.com numbers.... There looks to be a lot of potential moving parts to our defense...
Potential players to cut and savings below.
Kendricks $9,500,00
Z. Smith - $12,333,333
H. Smith - $7,468,234
Hicks - $5,000,000
That's $34,301,567 in cap savings next year.... In 4 players. Problem is replacing them, but I feel we do so with Cine, Asamoah, and Jones everyday starting. Those guys are in house already. I expect a FA LB. Getting a healthy Booth??? and Evans ?? helps next year too.

Offensively, Cook and Thielen can save us $14+ million. I don't think we cut them, but maybe restructuring Thielen, although this season he has really struggled to create separation.

We do not have a lot of draft picks. If Kwesi and KOC keep Donatell, do we continue the transition to a 3-4? If so, trading Hunter could also net a 1st rd draft pick.
Can Osborn replace Thielen and Nailor in the slot? IMO Donatell needs to be fired regardless of how this season ends. This 3-4 bend but don't break scheme sucks. I'm not even sold on Cine. The guy was 3rd string when the season started. Meanwhile Hamilton who was the best safety is contributing this year. That trading down has killed us for a long time. We also need to keep an eye open for a QB. When Booth did play he was terrible. This is a long way out at this point.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Do you think that Cine was 3rd string because Donatell was changing the defensive scheme and needed to keep familiarity as much as possible with Smith and Bynum ? Also, the veterans were given starting spots immediately which they earned?
If losing those guys, then Cine, Booth, and Asamoah have to be inserted immediately.
Yes, it is a long ways off... It's just my thing !
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

IIsweet wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:13 pm Do you think that Cine was 3rd string because Donatell was changing the defensive scheme and needed to keep familiarity as much as possible with Smith and Bynum ? Also, the veterans were given starting spots immediately which they earned?
If losing those guys, then Cine, Booth, and Asamoah have to be inserted immediately.
I have no idea what Donatell is doing. He's so old school that maybe rookies need to sit 3 years before they can play. Smith was out the 1st Lion game and Metellus got the start instead of Cine. Metellus did good with 10 tackles and an interception. Perhaps Cine is backing up Bynum who some don't like but I think he does ok especially for a guy that has only been a safety for 1 year. I think we were at pick 12 and wound up with the 3rd safety taken in round 1. I liked Hamilton and others didn't. That injured WR Williams that the Lions traded up for is a game breaker. We could use that. Obviously there was a big risk with him. Sometimes you need to take a risk. But it's good that you're into the draft and we got 2 first year starters with Ingram and Wright. Evans also filled in nicely. IMO when we were at 12 don't trade down unless you get a haul. We went to the bottom without much return. If these picks don't get in the lineup year 2 then you have to wonder. I'm not sold on Asamoah as an ILB. He weighs 228. That seems small.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

CharVike wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:26 am
IIsweet wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:13 pm Do you think that Cine was 3rd string because Donatell was changing the defensive scheme and needed to keep familiarity as much as possible with Smith and Bynum ? Also, the veterans were given starting spots immediately which they earned?
I have no idea what Donatell is doing. He's so old school that maybe rookies need to sit 3 years before they can play. Smith was out the 1st Lion game and Metellus got the start instead of Cine. Metellus did good with 10 tackles and an interception. Perhaps Cine is backing up Bynum who some don't like but I think he does ok especially for a guy that has only been a safety for 1 year. I think we were at pick 12 and wound up with the 3rd safety taken in round 1. I liked Hamilton and others didn't. That injured WR Williams that the Lions traded up for is a game breaker. We could use that. Obviously there was a big risk with him. Sometimes you need to take a risk. But it's good that you're into the draft and we got 2 first year starters with Ingram and Wright. Evans also filled in nicely. IMO when we were at 12 don't trade down unless you get a haul. We went to the bottom without much return. If these picks don't get in the lineup year 2 then you have to wonder. I'm not sold on Asamoah as an ILB. He weighs 228. That seems small.
He hasn't really done much yet. He smoked Cam Bynum for a TD in his first NFL game, but that was all on Cam and didn't tell us much about Jameson. He might become a great WR, who knows, but it's still early. The guy who looks like a baller and whose height and speed combo are other worldly is Christian Watson, who the Packers drafted with the pick we traded them in the 2nd round. Give me Cine and Watson, and I'd be happy with our '22 haul. Hopefully Booth pans out, but right now he hasn't inspired a whole lot of confidence. I like CB Hodges-Tomlinson (Ladanian's nephew) as a 3rd round pick for us. Overshown (LB from Texas) is another option if he's available. Our 1st rounder has to be a DL in my mind, or simply BPA, but we really need some game wreckers on the DL.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:55 pm
CharVike wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:26 am
He hasn't really done much yet. He smoked Cam Bynum for a TD in his first NFL game, but that was all on Cam and didn't tell us much about Jameson. He might become a great WR, who knows, but it's still early. The guy who looks like a baller and whose height and speed combo are other worldly is Christian Watson, who the Packers drafted with the pick we traded them in the 2nd round. Give me Cine and Watson, and I'd be happy with our '22 haul. Hopefully Booth pans out, but right now he hasn't inspired a whole lot of confidence. I like CB Hodges-Tomlinson (Ladanian's nephew) as a 3rd round pick for us. Overshown (LB from Texas) is another option if he's available. Our 1st rounder has to be a DL in my mind, or simply BPA, but we really need some game wreckers on the DL.
If we stick with this 3-4 then we need lbers. Both middle guys gone and is Hunter the best fit. Z that's a ?. Could be 4 fight there. I guess 1 in house if he can handle the run game. If we continue with this soft zone I don't think CB is a need. If a G who can do it all then that is a fit. WR with some speed. If they see a QB they like then that is at the top.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

CharVike wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:35 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:55 pm

If we stick with this 3-4 then we need lbers. Both middle guys gone and is Hunter the best fit. Z that's a ?. Could be 4 fight there. I guess 1 in house if he can handle the run game. If we continue with this soft zone I don't think CB is a need. If a G who can do it all then that is a fit. WR with some speed. If they see a QB they like then that is at the top.
Depending on how this season ends for us, I suspect KOC will fire Donatell and hire someone more in line with his philosophies and approach. Whether that goes back to a 4-3 or stays 3-4 is impossible to know at this point. I think the trenches is where the best teams are truly exceptional, so give me a DL or OL with that first pick, and Overshown (LB, Texas) or Hodges-Tomlinson (CB, TCU) with the 3rd. Grab a WR and a G in the mid rounds. It's early, but as of late December, that's where I'm at.