Jets @ Vikings post game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Re: Jets @ Vikings post game

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:52 am
chicagopurple wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:41 am Every game lately seems to reinforce this feeling that we are " one and done" in playoffs. Relying on having a lucky horseshoe up yer butt is NOT a gameplan when facing good teams. Its a fun formula for the regular season giggles but no way does this current level of play get us near the Super Bowl. More than anything, its the Defence that needs to up its game and become more consistent.
Buffalo, New England and the Jets are good teams.

Not being Pollyanna here. The defense needs to step it up somehow, although I continue to believe it’s a talent/athleticism issue. But the Vikings just went through a 4-game gauntlet against playoff-quality teams and went 3-1. Who among us predicted that?

I’m always optimistic. So I do not believe the Vikings are one-and-done. They’ll be the No. 2 seed assuming things stay on the same track. That means they’ll play the 7 seed at home. I’d be stunned if they lost. Beyond that, I’m not sure the defense is athletic enough to get to the conference championship game. But they keep defying the odds, so nothing would surprise me.

Here’s the other thing. With nine 1-score wins and six 4th-quarter comebacks, this team is battle tested. It’s no accident they’re winning these types of games. KOC and the staff place an incredible amount of emphasis on situational football, devoting most of an entire day each week to it. By contrast, look at Philly. They’ve played only four 1-score games, including their only loss. Dallas has played five. The 49ers only two! If the game is close late, I take the battle tested Vikings. Not a lot of blowouts in the playoffs.

This team is definitely not perfect. We all would have preferred to see the Vikings put the Jets away with a 20-3 lead. But let’s not discount the fact that they built that lead to begin with, and against a top-4 defense. The Vikings can compete. Winning it all is a tall order, but things have gone much better than any of us thought it would. It’s a new day in Minnesota, and I don’t think it’s productive to assume this team will go one-and-done simply because past Vikings teams have.
They do legitimately have a shot at being Super Bowl bound. As you stated, they will more than likely be the No. 2 seed. I do think the Eagles & Cowboys are the better teams right now, but maybe one will take the other out and someone else will take care of the leftover team. Maybe the Vikings get to the conference championship as the best team left. I wish I didn't have that "they are winning in spite of _____" feeling with all these games. It's a lot to wish for, but having hope is better than not having any hope at all.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:56 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:51 am

Great post. I was saying during the game yesterday, I'm sick of seeing 3rd and 3's and we drop back and everyone is out of the camera because KOC sent everyone on deep routes. Like where is the dump off? Where is the shallow cross? Drives me nuts. You do a good job getting to 3rd and manageable and then make a 3rd down play call like it's 3rd and 15 and not 3rd and 3.

Also, I feel like in the last 2 games when they did blitz (which was very rare), they rattled Mac and White. Like to me, the defense looks no different every time we line up. Usually 4 guys on the line rushing 4 and everyone dropping. Sometimes they will bring Zadarius inside but notice he's been very quiet the past couple weeks. I think that's because they are becoming too predictable with him.

I've used this example before but I love watching KC's defense. Yes they get burned at times but they are super aggressive. Constantly giving different looks at the line, constantly blitzing and I dont believe they have the talent we have on defense. It's close but I think Andy Reid notices that if they just sit in coverage and rush 4, they are probably toast. But if they make QBs panic and become multiple with your looks, it helps tremendously.
Absolutely. It's one thing that they are passing all the time in these situations, but it always seems to be some low percentage pass play....like you said, like it's 3rd and 15 or 20. My point, you got to call a run every now and then to keep them honest, and when you pass, have a safety dump off option, or call short pass routes.
I totally get what you are saying. However, there are 11 guys wearing different uniforms on the field that also know this !!! There is a brilliant coaching staff on the other side of the field that knows this !
Coverages and defensive play calls are switched up pending situations. Defensive players and coaches are watching tape of Kirk and the WRs, TEs, and RBs every week also and are analyzing scenarios and probabilities.
What we want, everyone predicts, but they also have it covered and defended. That is not the look that Kirk and KOC see because it is being defended against.
Would I like to see more slants and plays called that get WRs into space on the run, of course. Let's not forget that Kirk has a DL in his face standing up a tall OL. It is not that easy to throw over and into.
I am not being a homer, but there is so much more into every call. Regardless, right now 10-2 is awesome !
One thing being overlooked and not talked about is the play of Blake Brandel playing for the injured Darrisaw. He has really stepped in and been a pleasant surprise.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingsFan84 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:02 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:21 pm
We're done with the NFC east and went 2-2. If we get the Iggles or Cowpukes in the playoffs we will beat them the next time around.
You have too much confidence in this team, this team have too many flaws like bad offensive line and bad defense to defeat Eagles or Cowboys in the playoffs so it is not going to happen
You have your right to be wrong. :lol:
The Iggles and Cowpukes are nothing special. Time will tell and yes they could definitely beat us again, but we could definitely beat them. Cowpukes just played the Colts to a 3 Quarter draw and then went off for 5 4th quarter TDs. You never know. Pukers beat the Cowpukes. Washington beat the Iggles.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Crax wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:30 am Watching Get Up on ESPN this morning. Talking about the 49ers and the injury to JG. Saying the 49ers are still in good shape in the 3 horse race of the NFC(with eagles, cowboys). They've said essentially that statement multiple times now.

Yeah that BS is getting old. We beat the Pukers and the Pukers beat the Cowpukes.
We beat the Commies and the Commies beat the Iggles.
No reason we can't beat them both next time around. :govikes:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

chicagopurple wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:41 am Every game lately seems to reinforce this feeling that we are " one and done" in playoffs. Relying on having a lucky horseshoe up yer butt is NOT a gameplan when facing good teams. Its a fun formula for the regular season giggles but no way does this current level of play get us near the Super Bowl. More than anything, its the Defence that needs to up its game and become more consistent.
So far that has worked against good teams. Bills, Jets, Fish, Commies, and Patriots. I could see our current level of play getting us there.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:28 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:21 pm
We're done with the NFC east and went 2-2. If we get the Iggles or Cowpukes in the playoffs we will beat them the next time around.
Still play the Giants. I wish I shared your optimism.
Somehow in my mind we had already played the Giants, but no we haven't. It looks like a win, but we have to take the field and take care of business.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:52 am
Buffalo, New England and the Jets are good teams.

Not being Pollyanna here. The defense needs to step it up somehow, although I continue to believe it’s a talent/athleticism issue. But the Vikings just went through a 4-game gauntlet against playoff-quality teams and went 3-1. Who among us predicted that?

I’m always optimistic. So I do not believe the Vikings are one-and-done. They’ll be the No. 2 seed assuming things stay on the same track. That means they’ll play the 7 seed at home. I’d be stunned if they lost. Beyond that, I’m not sure the defense is athletic enough to get to the conference championship game. But they keep defying the odds, so nothing would surprise me.

Here’s the other thing. With nine 1-score wins and six 4th-quarter comebacks, this team is battle tested. It’s no accident they’re winning these types of games. KOC and the staff place an incredible amount of emphasis on situational football, devoting most of an entire day each week to it. By contrast, look at Philly. They’ve played only four 1-score games, including their only loss. Dallas has played five. The 49ers only two! If the game is close late, I take the battle tested Vikings. Not a lot of blowouts in the playoffs.

This team is definitely not perfect. We all would have preferred to see the Vikings put the Jets away with a 20-3 lead. But let’s not discount the fact that they built that lead to begin with, and against a top-4 defense. The Vikings can compete. Winning it all is a tall order, but things have gone much better than any of us thought it would. It’s a new day in Minnesota, and I don’t think it’s productive to assume this team will go one-and-done simply because past Vikings teams have.
I find it so annoying all the "Vikings Fans" predicting we will lose when we play a good team. Most of the time we've played good teams we've won. One of our "Vikings Fans" was talking about the Beat Down the Jets were going to throw down on us.
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

I have a reasonable amount of confidence that the Vikings are going to the NFC Championship, where they will probably meet the Eagles or Cowboys. Unlike some others on here, I believe the Cowboys and Eagles are for real. Vikings can beat them, but they are going to have to play better than any other game they have played this year OR count on them to hand the game to us somehow.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Kirk was off yesterday. Initially, I didn't understand it. Having ruminated on it a bit more, I think it was due to the Jets making him uncomfortable via pressure, hits, and very solid secondary play.

We will get a huge boost when Darrisaw comes back. My main worry in the playoffs will be how our IL plays and how our D plays. I think our offense can hang with anyone in the league, AS LONG AS Kirk has decent protection. Look at the Buffalo game: Von Miller even praised the heck out of our line. Without protection, we would have lost that game. The next week, with Darrisaw out early and the Cowboys strong pass rush, we were a different team. Philly's DL is ferocious too. SF is another that will be a wicked matchup, even without Jimmy G, because of their front 4.

As for our D, we need to get more pressure on opposing QBs. We let MIKE WHITE sit back there and throw bombs on us. Apart from that 3rd and 10 (before they made that 4th and 10) where we blitzed hard, we had almost no pressure in the 2nd half. In the first half, we had guys like Patrick Jones getting sacks bc we were rotating the DL well. We have to get pressure if we're going to win in the playoffs. Our secondary isn't good enough to hold up otherwise.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:45 am
I have a reasonable amount of confidence that the Vikings are going to the NFC Championship, where they will probably meet the Eagles or Cowboys. Unlike some others on here, I believe the Cowboys and Eagles are for real. Vikings can beat them, but they are going to have to play better than any other game they have played this year OR count on them to hand the game to us somehow.
If you're referring to me I think both of those teams are for real good football teams. I don't think they are special in any way. So if you're saying they are good football teams than we are in total agreement. If you think they are special as in world beater types than we are in total disagreement. If in between than partial agreement and partial disagreement. :lol: :govikes:
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

what separates the Eagles and Cowboys from us is their OL/DL.....They are bigger and far more aggressive.
Our skill players match up pretty well against anyone. Cousins has finally shown that he will show up in big games.
The lines are the foundation for everything though and we just arent on par. If management can keep our current skill players and FINALLY build a good OL/DL then we will be a bonafide smart bet in the post season. Perhaps a little upgrade in the secondary too....
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I haven't read through all of the post game comments but wanted to add a few observations and comments.

- Jets have a very good defense. The Vikings have faced some of the league's best defenses in just the last few weeks and while the offense has struggled at times, they again managed to stay composed for the most part and did enough to win. I do wish KOC would throw something unexpected into the mix in certain situations. That last drive that did force the Jets to use their remaining timeouts was a perfect chance to hit them with something unexpected and close out the game. Yes, easy to say sitting on the couch watching but I do feel like the Jets were counting on 3 runs there and they might have been susceptible to something over the top.

- Vikings offensive line has now faced down some of the best defensive lines in the league and I felt held their own for the most part. Not great, but not too bad. Their worse performance was against the Cowboys, but Darrisaw went out that game and I think Cleveland also had an injury in that game. Since then, they've done well. If the lines play well this Vikings team can go somewhere in the playoffs, so I'm going to be watching them closely as the season closes out.

- Speaking of lines, the defensive line had a very uneven day yesterday. They get a good push in the pass rush on passing downs, but just aren't getting home as much as I'd hope. Still, Donatell must like what he's seeing from them as again the Vikings defense blitzed rarely. I think where the defensive line struggled a bit was against the run. They did a good job most of the game but gave up some chunk plays too. Got to tighten that up.

- Defensive secondary was usual. Looks like Evans went out again with a possible concussion. He took some hits, including some inadvertent ones from his own teammates, and the Vikings were back with Shelley opposite Peterson. White looked uncomfortable for stretches of the game, and I thought the Vikings did a pretty good job in coverage, but still gave up some big plays and the tackling at times wasn't good. I can live with the big plays allowed as long as the DBs come up with big defensive plays and turnovers. Just not sure if they can count on those. The defense of this team is really an enigma. They scare me most of the time but, at the same time, I feel confident if they can find a way to close out a game, they will close it out.

- Cousins missed on a few throws, but he also had a few dropped, stood in and took some big hits to make plays, and kept another drive alive with an astute run. It was a gritty performance.

On the whole, the Vikings just went through a slate of teams that field playoff-caliber defenses. The Vikings held their own in all of those games except the one against the Cowboys, but that was coming off that incredible win at the Bills and the Cowboys played an almost flawless game. While the Vikings took one convincing loss in that stretch and managed only close wins, the results of the stretch itself are fairly convincing. The Vikings have proven they have what it takes to compete with the better teams. They didn't dominate them, but they traded blows with them and found ways to win. While that doesn't mean they'll romp through the playoffs, it does mean that they know how to win slug fests and know how to stick together. I've seen truly dominant Vikings teams in the past that didn't know how to deal with adversity and weren't prepared for situations where the momentum swung against them. I've watched teams that were expected to win get hit in the mouth and stumble. This team may not be as dominant, but they know how to fight, and the fact that people still doubt them is not as much cause for concern as it is cause for optimism. This team isn't going to head into the postseason with a lot of hype or expectations. Other teams will get that, and that is good because these Vikings play better with a chip on their shoulders.

Let's hope it keeps rolling. As hard as it is to watch these games, I remain strangely calm and confident in this team. They just find a way.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:50 pm Here’s the one thing good I can say about the defense.

The Jets were 3-for-16 on third down and 1-for-6 in the red zone.
That red zone performance was fantastic. It made the difference in the game.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:47 am Patrick Jones is showing a burst from the edge. Year 2 is a big year for players and he's stepping up.
He had a good game. Great energy and he made some nice reads and plays.

I thought the interior rushers did a great job getting their hands up and disrupting passes as well.

Fundamentally, it was one of the better games from the defensive line. They did lose contain on a few runs, but the Jets might have gotten away with some holds too. But I thought the DL played well and Jones certainly did.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:52 am I think this team has the talent (except probably the OL) to make a run at the Super Bowl. What concerns me MORE than the personnel is the coaching. Yes..KOC has brought a close knit winning atmosphere to the team, which is great, but there some things that, I personally don't like.

3rd & short play calling - I know KOC is a passing coach, but C'mon Man! This year this is their play calls on 3rd & short:
3rd & 3 - 1 Run, 10 passes
3rd & 2 - 2 Runs,13 passes
3rd & 1 - 10 Runs, 12 Passes

That's lopsided play calling, and has become way to predictable.

I'm also not a fan of the defensive philosophy of soft coverage and tighten up in the red zone. And PLEASE, blitz more!!

KOC also needs to work on time management.
I wish the Vikings would use Ham more on 3rd downs. He's not a guy who touches the ball often, so when he does the defense isn't ready for it. The Vikes scored against the Bills using Ham as a runner. The Bills pretty much focused on Cook or Mattison and Ham almost walked it in. Ham can also catch, and once again, he's not a guy who is perceived as much of a threat so defenses rarely focus on him. KOC should try to take advantage of that more in certain situations.