Week 12: Patriots @ Vikings predictions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Week 12: Patriots @ Vikings predictions

Post by CharVike »

I see a win in this one. Looks like Evans is set to return as he was limited in practice but he did practice. Tomlinson was also limited so maybe he returns. As always it will come down to the LOS battle. I think we can get Cook rolling which is basically a must have. The Pats have a very good D perhaps the best in the game. But they have been run on at times. On D we need to get after the QB and stop the ground game. Last week we didn't put any pressure on Dak and couldn't stop the ground game. We got beat at the point and paid the price. I see a final of 20-13.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Week 12: Patriots @ Vikings predictions

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

I see a win too, but another close one. We need Tomlinson back and anyone but Booth as CB. Both Booth and Ingram are not NFL ready to play, not by a mile.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

This is a pick em, IMO. The fact that it is prime time does not bode well for us, given our history and the fact that we face one of the smartest HCs in the history of the league.

NE's run game is legit. Rhamondre Stevenson and Damien Harris are both solid. The former is dangerous catching passes out of the backfield, and I expect him to torch Kendricks and Hicks. Their DL is solid and I fully expect Judon and co. to put pressure on Kirk. KOC better come with a better game plan. Look for Belichek to blanket JJ. I think if we expect that and make good use of Dalvin, an apparently less injured AT, KJ, Hock, and maybe some unexpected weapons (Reagor, for example) we have a chance. Otherwise, I see a 17-14 type of loss.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:33 am I see a win too, but another close one. We need Tomlinson back and anyone but Booth as CB. Both Booth and Ingram are not NFL ready to play, not by a mile.
You are really going out on a limb with this pick. Are you drinking coffee and Kahlua for your morning kick off? Your right about both of those rookies neither should be in the lineup at this point. At least Ingram has shown the ability to run block once in a while but he has no chance pass blocking. Just staying near the LOS is a miracle. Usually he's pushed backwards. Booth already looks like a wasted pick. Even when not hurt which don't happen very often he shouldn't be near a football field at this point.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

This is a big game for me.

We played 3 contending teams.

Eagles beat us.

Pulled one out our butts Buffalo

Cowpukes destroyed us.

We beat Miami. Tua didn’t play. A 7th round rookie QBs did
I am going with New England by 10

Hopefully I am wrong
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

The Patriots arguably have a better defensive line and better overall defense than the Cowboys have. If the Vikings offensive line couldn't deal with the Cowboys, I'm not sure how I see them being much better against the Patriots, especially without Darrisaw. Maybe the OL can get it together or maybe the offense can scheme up ways to deal with the Patriots ability to disrupt the line of scrimmage, but I'm not sure the Vikings have the players who can do that against these more physical fronts. I hope the Vikings prove me wrong.

If the offense struggles again due to pressure, then the outcome of this game will come down to the defense and whether they can stymie the Patriot offense and/or create some turnovers to give the offense a short field to work with. The defense was horrible against the Cowboys, and even if they tried I don't think they could repeat that performance. I expect them to bounce back in a prove-it game, but if they don't that will bode really poorly for the remainder of the season. The Patriots are not an explosive offense and they have serious limitations at QB. They'll likely try to run and take a few shots here and there, but if there is an offense the Vikings defense should be able to get off the field fairly consistently, the Patriots are that offense. Hopefully the Vikings defense can steady the ship and show up with some urgency.

This should be a low-scoring game where I expect the Vikings to struggle yet again offensively. I think Kirk is going to be under a lot of pressure again and the run game is going to struggle to find lanes. The Vikings win this game if the defense shows up and makes life equally miserable for the Patriot offense. If not, this game likely ends up looking a lot like the loss to the Eagles earlier in the season where the Patriots don't dominate, but score enough to win by a comfortable margin. If the defense does show up and gives the Vikings offense some short fields, I can see the Vikings eking out a late win.

I won't predict a score or even a winner. I think we'll be able to tell fairly early which way the game is going to go for the Vikings.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I am notoriously bad at predicting game outcomes when it comes to the Vikings. I constantly overrate the Vikes because of my optimism. For example, I predicted a multi-score victory over Dallas. That’s my one attempt for the year.

Here’s what I know about New England.

Since Tom Brady left for Tampa Bay, their passing offense has been one of the worst in the league. They have averaged just 204 yards per game through the air, with just 45 TDs against 37 interceptions. In that time, they’ve averaged 131 yards on the ground and a league-average 4.4 YPC. This year, they’re not as good at running the ball as you may think — they rank 29th in EPA rushing. They’re 24th in EPA passing.

Their defense obviously is very good. They’re first in total EPA, second in sacks, first in opponents’ passer rating, third in INT%, etc., etc. But I don’t really care. This is a team that struggles to score, and to win consistently in the NFL, you have to score. Just as the Vikings were never going to win 15 one-score games, the Patriots can’t win many games scoring 10 points like they did last week.

So here’s what I’ll predict. If the Patriots DON’T have trouble scoring against the Vikings — whose defense has given up 70 points the past two weeks, by the way — then the Vikings are going to lose. If Ed Donatell’s defense can somehow make it difficult for this very below-average offense to score, then the Vikings have a shot. Doesn’t mean they’ll win. But to have a shot, they’ve GOT to hold New England’s bland offense in check.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:06 pm I am notoriously bad at predicting game outcomes when it comes to the Vikings. I constantly overrate the Vikes because of my optimism. For example, I predicted a multi-score victory over Dallas. That’s my one attempt for the year.

Since Tom Brady left for Tampa Bay, their passing offense has been one of the worst in the league. They have averaged just 204 yards per game through the air, with just 45 TDs against 37 interceptions. In that time, they’ve averaged 131 yards on the ground and a league-average 4.4 YPC. This year, they’re not as good at running the ball as you may think — they rank 29th in EPA rushing. They’re 24th in EPA passing.

Their defense obviously is very good. They’re first in total EPA, second in sacks, first in opponents’ passer rating, third in INT%, etc., etc. But I don’t really care. This is a team that struggles to score, and to win consistently in the NFL, you have to score. Just as the Vikings were never going to win 15 one-score games, the Patriots can’t win many games scoring 10 points like they did last week.

So here’s what I’ll predict. If the Patriots DON’T have trouble scoring against the Vikings — whose defense has given up 70 points the past two weeks, by the way — then the Vikings are going to lose. If Ed Donatell’s defense can somehow make it difficult for this very below-average offense to score, then the Vikings have a shot. Doesn’t mean they’ll win. But to have a shot, they’ve GOT to hold New England’s bland offense in check.
I enjoy your write ups JoeK. Also your optimism.... that was me. I always look at they can win. But 60 years I am becoming or trying to be realistic.

The posts that I posted here. Saying we played lower level teams and struggled. Wasn’t me a few years ago. Maybe getting old and crusty p. Maybe let down or heart broken to many times.

But will die a fan of the purple. I don’t buy the jerseys and stuff, but I am still wearing the old jerseys., k williams , Greenway, Peterson, culpepper etc.

Staying strong for the purple...

Learned something today. Our first game in 61 was played in 1961. Going to read that article again. Interesting,. Lot of empty seats
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Foreman44 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:17 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:06 pm I am notoriously bad at predicting game outcomes when it comes to the Vikings. I constantly overrate the Vikes because of my optimism. For example, I predicted a multi-score victory over Dallas. That’s my one attempt for the year.

I enjoy your write ups JoeK. Also your optimism.... that was me. I always look at they can win. But 60 years I am becoming or trying to be realistic.

The posts that I posted here. Saying we played lower level teams and struggled. Wasn’t me a few years ago. Maybe getting old and crusty p. Maybe let down or heart broken to many times.

But will die a fan of the purple. I don’t buy the jerseys and stuff, but I am still wearing the old jerseys., k williams , Greenway, Peterson, culpepper etc.

Learned something today. Our first game in 61 was played in 1961. Going to read that article again. Interesting,. Lot of empty seats
Thanks brother.

I’m the optimist, but trust me, I’m also realistic. I know that if I’m honest, the odds of this year’s team, with all its flaws, finally breaking through are fairly small. Heck, it takes a huge effort for a truly strong and complete team like Kansas City to win it all. What are our chances?

But this year’s team, last week being an exception, has been a blast. KOC has established a locker room full of guys who love playing for each other and for the fans. It’s honestly kind of intoxicating.

So yeah, they’re probably not going to end the drought this year. But isn’t the journey a gas? I mean, who saw 8-2 with a 4-game lead in the division? Even in my optimism, I didn’t see that coming. So rather than wait for the sky to fall, I choose to ride it while it lasts.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Frozen Rope
Starter

Post by Frozen Rope »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:22 am This is a pick em, IMO. The fact that it is prime time does not bode well for us, given our history and the fact that we face one of the smartest HCs in the history of the league.

NE's run game is legit. Rhamondre Stevenson and Damien Harris are both solid. The former is dangerous catching passes out of the backfield, and I expect him to torch Kendricks and Hicks. Their DL is solid and I fully expect Judon and co. to put pressure on Kirk. KOC better come with a better game plan. Look for Belichek to blanket JJ. I think if we expect that and make good use of Dalvin, an apparently less injured AT, KJ, Hock, and maybe some unexpected weapons (Reagor, for example) we have a chance. Otherwise, I see a 17-14 type of loss.
I think you’re right TV on several points. I think KOC has created a great culture but I’m starting to have doubts about his play calling ability. No adjustments in the second half. I don’t like these seven step drop backs for Cousins. Our O line is so porous we need 4 step drop backs and quick throws to negate the rush. Has anyone seen a slant across the middle? Get ready for a lot of blitzing by the pats. This O line cannot spread the pocket. JJ says by the time he made his breaks, Cousins was buried. Our opponents have also shrunk the field. They play their cb’s and safeties up because the D line is getting to Cousins quick. I think KOC is a great guy, but he’s green and I think he’s over his head now that defenses know how to attack. Tomorrow will tell a story on whether he has some play calls to mask our weaknesses. The other question I have is why doesn’t Donatell blitz. I’m screaming at the tv and he’ll maybe do it once a game. I’d much rather take my chances with well timed blitzed than give the QB 5 seconds to shred our secondary. KOC is no match for Bellichek. Love the Vikes but unless KOC and Donatell change things up this could be a long night. I hope I’m wrong
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:22 am This is a pick em, IMO. The fact that it is prime time does not bode well for us, given our history and the fact that we face one of the smartest HCs in the history of the league.

Patriots are 2.5 favorites heading into this one (as compared to Dallas being favored by 1.5). So a bigger margin to the visitor.

We're going to find out a lot about the Vikings in this game. If they're legit I think they show up and we see some sustained drives on offense and better overall play across the board. They attack the Patriots in all phases and show they can compete. If they are frauds, we'll see the offense continue to fail to sustain drives, much less generate points, and watch the defense be victimized yet again, only this time against an offense with severe flaws up to this point in the season. If the Vikings make Mac Jones look good, that would be the biggest indicator that the 8-2 record is a mirage.

I've believed in this team all year. Believed in their fight and refusal to say die, but against the Cowboys we didn't see any of that. Here's hoping the team that battled the Bills shows up and not the team that crumbled to the Eagles and Cowboys.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Frozen Rope wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:39 pm The other question I have is why doesn’t Donatell blitz. I’m screaming at the tv and he’ll maybe do it once a game. I’d much rather take my chances with well timed blitzed than give the QB 5 seconds to shred our secondary.
I've noticed the same thing. I presume Donatell doesn't blitz much because he feels like he can generate pressure with his front and he'd rather have more guys in coverage. While I do think the Vikings front four can generate pressure without a lot of blitzing, what has really puzzled me all season is how the Vikings manage to leave so many opposing receivers so wide open so consistently. If you don't blitz all that should enable is the opposing QB to have a bit more time to find receivers who should be generally a bit less wide open. Somehow the Vikings defense manages to consistently still leave wide open spaces for wide open receivers even with more guys in coverage. I doubt that is the scheme. It seems like it might be a lack of communication or coordination with coverage responsibilities, because the Vikings have plenty of guys back on most passing plays.

Maybe blitzing is the answer. Whatever it is, Donatell doesn't seem to mix it up much. You noted the lack of adjustments on offense by KOC against the Cowboys. I don't see many adjustments from Donatell either. Not in terms of just sending extra pass rushers, but in coverage schemes or even strategy. The core strategy seems to be don't get burned deep, and yet even with that they still have gotten burned deep a few times. I'd like to see the DBs jump some routes and take some chances. Throw some wrinkles into the mix so opposing QBs can't get comfortable.

I also think Donatell should look into putting Asamoah out there more. Yes, he's young and inexperienced, but he's fast and a dynamic playmaker on defense. He'd be especially good keying on the opposing QB if he's flushed out of the pocket. Mac Jones isn't a threat to run, but the Vikings have faced way too many QBs who have really hurt them on the ground. Great rush, sure, but if the QB can avoid it and turn upfield, it's been smooth sailing and big chunk pickups. Would like to see Donatell adjust to that more.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:58 am
Foreman44 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:17 am

Thanks brother.

I’m the optimist, but trust me, I’m also realistic. I know that if I’m honest, the odds of this year’s team, with all its flaws, finally breaking through are fairly small. Heck, it takes a huge effort for a truly strong and complete team like Kansas City to win it all. What are our chances?

But this year’s team, last week being an exception, has been a blast. KOC has established a locker room full of guys who love playing for each other and for the fans. It’s honestly kind of intoxicating.

So yeah, they’re probably not going to end the drought this year. But isn’t the journey a gas? I mean, who saw 8-2 with a 4-game lead in the division? Even in my optimism, I didn’t see that coming. So rather than wait for the sky to fall, I choose to ride it while it lasts.
I see the optimism. I see your realistic side.

It has been a fun year, no matter who we have played.
I projected New England to win by 10. But thinking it will close one way or other.

Especially where KOC a locker room full of guys who want to play. Quite a difference from Zimmer.. There is a difference of playing your best because one is a pro, and a player giving his heart playing for a team he loves. I wonder how many played last year fearing Zimmer wrath.

So glad zimmer is gone...

I personally felt the Dallas game being that traps lead game...lDallas fired up over a horrible loss to GB.throwing a way a lead losing to a struggling packer team. Other hand. The overwhelming victory over a high ranked team..I didn’t feel comfortable. But didn’t expect that butt whooping.

Hopefully we are the fired up team, showing last weeks game score was a fluke score.

What you said about KOC carry well into the future.

still the realist.
Frozen Rope
Starter

Post by Frozen Rope »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:38 pm
Frozen Rope wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:39 pm The other question I have is why doesn’t Donatell blitz. I’m screaming at the tv and he’ll maybe do it once a game. I’d much rather take my chances with well timed blitzed than give the QB 5 seconds to shred our secondary.
I've noticed the same thing. I presume Donatell doesn't blitz much because he feels like he can generate pressure with his front and he'd rather have more guys in coverage. While I do think the Vikings front four can generate pressure without a lot of blitzing, what has really puzzled me all season is how the Vikings manage to leave so many opposing receivers so wide open so consistently. If you don't blitz all that should enable is the opposing QB to have a bit more time to find receivers who should be generally a bit less wide open. Somehow the Vikings defense manages to consistently still leave wide open spaces for wide open receivers even with more guys in coverage. I doubt that is the scheme. It seems like it might be a lack of communication or coordination with coverage responsibilities, because the Vikings have plenty of guys back on most passing plays.

Maybe blitzing is the answer. Whatever it is, Donatell doesn't seem to mix it up much. You noted the lack of adjustments on offense by KOC against the Cowboys. I don't see many adjustments from Donatell either. Not in terms of just sending extra pass rushers, but in coverage schemes or even strategy. The core strategy seems to be don't get burned deep, and yet even with that they still have gotten burned deep a few times. I'd like to see the DBs jump some routes and take some chances. Throw some wrinkles into the mix so opposing QBs can't get comfortable.

I also think Donatell should look into putting Asamoah out there more. Yes, he's young and inexperienced, but he's fast and a dynamic playmaker on defense. He'd be especially good keying on the opposing QB if he's flushed out of the pocket. Mac Jones isn't a threat to run, but the Vikings have faced way too many QBs who have really hurt them on the ground. Great rush, sure, but if the QB can avoid it and turn upfield, it's been smooth sailing and big chunk pickups. Would like to see Donatell adjust to that more.
Good expanded post VL on Donatell. I’m guessing that there are some internal differences with players being at odds with KOC’s offensive scheme. Cousins stats are way down this year and that’s fine as long as you’re winning. But when you don’t make adjustments at halftime, it begs the question, does KOC have alternate plays in his playbook? It almost sounds silly to say that, but looking at the plays they run, they’re vanilla and easy for DC’s to prepare for. Dallas was desperate to win, our guys were spent. Lets hope we can flip the script tomorrow with some creative playing on both sides of the ball. Tomorrow will tell us more about the coaches than the players. If the players don’t believe in your skill set, we’re cooked. I want to be wrong, but I don’t think we’ll see change. One thrashing isn’t going to be enough
Chi-Town Vike
Starter

Post by Chi-Town Vike »

It'll all fall apart in the second half. Patriots 33- 17. Lions could quite possibly put some stress on the vikings come the final weeks of the season here.
Skol