If O'Connell wins a Superbowl

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Chi-Town Vike
Starter

Re: If O'Connell wins a Superbowl

Post by Chi-Town Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:54 pm
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:44 pm After seeing how exposed this team is, I dont think you have to worry about it.
The rams lost 3 games in a row last year after being 8-1 and won the Super Bowl. It literally means nothing. It’s about getting to the playoffs and how you play when the playoffs hit
Apples, oranges.
Skol
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Chi-Town Vike wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:25 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:54 pm

The rams lost 3 games in a row last year after being 8-1 and won the Super Bowl. It literally means nothing. It’s about getting to the playoffs and how you play when the playoffs hit
Apples, oranges.
I mean… I’m not wrong
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Chi-Town Vike wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:19 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:10 pm I'm sticking with Bud. It would take multiple super bowl victories.
Over multiple Super bowl losses. Gotcha!!!! I'm a Grant fan, 3 NFC Conference championships. Accomplishments as a head coach, He's right up there with Dan Reeves. Both of them got close but no cigar.
True lol. I just love Bud as a person and a character. He's number one in my heart forever.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

To be compared. To Vikings best after a half season IMO says much.

But it is nice having a coach being compared to Grant this early.
Chi-Town Vike
Starter

Post by Chi-Town Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:49 pm
Chi-Town Vike wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:25 pm Apples, oranges.
I mean… I’m not wrong
Not a very compelling argument though. Your reply has an aura of uncertainty surrounding it.
Skol
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

Chi-Town Vike wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:19 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:10 pm I'm sticking with Bud. It would take multiple super bowl victories.
Over multiple Super bowl losses. Gotcha!!!! I'm a Grant fan, 3 NFC Conference championships. Accomplishments as a head coach, He's right up there with Dan Reeves. Both of them got close but no cigar.

I am in agreement

Imo..l.hope KOC highly Surpasses Bud Grant as the vikings All time greatest head coach. Kudos toKOC and the job he has done
With this years team..He is not PassingGrant as greatest he even with a SB.. The ones even thinking of it at this point is wearing the purple shaded glasses.

It will take a few years to do that. Maybe he is on his way, but he has a long ways t9 go.

But I hope that he does succeed in doing so.c
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Foreman44 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:34 am To be compared. To Vikings best after a half season IMO says much.

But it is nice having a coach being compared to Grant this early.
I am not talking about this year, I am talking about the future
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Foreman44 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:58 pm
Chi-Town Vike wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:19 pm Over multiple Super bowl losses. Gotcha!!!! I'm a Grant fan, 3 NFC Conference championships. Accomplishments as a head coach, He's right up there with Dan Reeves. Both of them got close but no cigar.

I am in agreement

Imo..l.hope KOC highly Surpasses Bud Grant as the vikings All time greatest head coach. Kudos toKOC and the job he has done
With this years team..He is not PassingGrant as greatest he even with a SB.. The ones even thinking of it at this point is wearing the purple shaded glasses.

It will take a few years to do that. Maybe he is on his way, but he has a long ways t9 go.

I LOVED Bud Grant. Still do. He was one of the greatest coaches in the history of the NFL. Grant’s teams weren’t always flashy, but they were always tougher than hell. He gave the Vikings incredible respectability.

But I gotta say … if O’Connell wins a Super Bowl, he goes to No. 1 for me. I’ve been waiting a long, long time, as have you.

Not trying to start an argument here. Just stating how it is for me.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Chi-Town Vike wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:55 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:49 pm

I mean… I’m not wrong
Not a very compelling argument though. Your reply has an aura of uncertainty surrounding it.
Not really. I specifically said, what matters is getting to the playoffs and getting hot in the playoffs. There was a point last season where the rams did not look like a legitimate Super Bowl team. Got beat by SF both times, whooped once. And beat them when it mattered most. They didn’t win a game the entire month of November. But again, they got hot at the right time. As did the bengals. Going into that postseason, not a soul would’ve predicted the rams vs the bengals. Point is, anything can happen when you get to the playoffs. That was a proven fact last year. A 4 seed vs a 4 seed. Was anyone saying “yeah the rams will be in the Super Bowl” after they got beat 31-10 by SF? Or after they lost their 3rd game in a row in November? Zero chance
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:50 pm
Foreman44 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:58 pm

I am in agreement

I LOVED Bud Grant. Still do. He was one of the greatest coaches in the history of the NFL. Grant’s teams weren’t always flashy, but they were always tougher than hell. He gave the Vikings incredible respectability.

But I gotta say … if O’Connell wins a Super Bowl, he goes to No. 1 for me. I’ve been waiting a long, long time, as have you.

Not trying to start an argument here. Just stating how it is for me.
Fair enough. You said fair enough for you. We both have waited a long time.Even survived the worst. Les Steckel.

I believe it would take a few years, or a minimum of three Super Bowls with a win.. Grant had a lot of good years.

But fact..it would be sweet for you and 8, and others who have been fans from the beginning, 60 years, survived the heart break of four Super Bowl losses. A SBwin would be priceless.

Just an example of that SB feeling, that many younger viking fans have not witnessed.

When the Vikings played the Steelers in the SB.I was in the navy on my way to Jacksonville.catching another flight Atlanta to Jax. But that flight minneapolis to Atlanta was fans going to the Super Bowl in N.O.s.

Most enjoyable flight ever. They had a steeler section, and Viking section.they had those on the plane do cheers. Even steeler section which was pretty weak. They gave free champagne to one who did loudest cheer, Even a bottle of champagne for one who had the biggest hole in sock. A couple took off there shoe for that bottle. It was the most enjoyable flight I ever flew.fastest flight I ever flew.

Could you imagine that flight back after a SB win... A PRICELESS MOMENT
Chi-Town Vike
Starter

Post by Chi-Town Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:09 pm
Not really. I specifically said, what matters is getting to the playoffs and getting hot in the playoffs. There was a point last season where the rams did not look like a legitimate Super Bowl team. Got beat by SF both times, whooped once. And beat them when it mattered most. They didn’t win a game the entire month of November. But again, they got hot at the right time. As did the bengals. Going into that postseason, not a soul would’ve predicted the rams vs the bengals. Point is, anything can happen when you get to the playoffs. That was a proven fact last year. A 4 seed vs a 4 seed. Was anyone saying “yeah the rams will be in the Super Bowl” after they got beat 31-10 by SF? Or after they lost their 3rd game in a row in November? Zero chance
Yea i agree, Anything can happen on any given Sunday. Anything can happen in a playoff game too. But this is the key takeaway for Many Vikings fans As history has shown ok? When it comes to Vikings and playoffs all they do is loose. Either early on or in the end. Many times in disappointing fashion. Without reaching their goal. . and ! lol
Skol
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I would like to point something out...
At least we're not the Broncos !!!!
Could have had Nathaniel Hackett, but got KOC.... Thank God
Russell Wilson's contract makes Kirk's look really good right now.
Could have gone with George Patton at GM but thankfully we got KAM !!!

Just how bad could it be???
Chi-Town Vike
Starter

Post by Chi-Town Vike »

I had a rebuttal for you that took a minute to type. But, lost my connection and not doin all that over. But one key point i made was, You said "anything can happen in the playoffs just get there" Vikings history has shown the only the Vikings do in the playoffs is loose. Whether it be an early exit from the playoffs or, A later disappointing lose or heartbreaking defeat. What makes it worse is that the Vikings have an extensive playoff history during the SB era compared to most teams in the NFL.

Never thought i'd see the day where tampa bay would win a superbowl before the Vikings. Much less 2 superbowls lol. Considering how horrible an organization they were. The bears won a superbowl and reached another in 2006 and they're a horrible organization. Sell tickets and merch is all they care about. The Bears don't even own their own Stadium lol. (Park district property) Then you have the SAINTS LOl they may have cheated but, they still got to keep the trophy. SHould i keep going? The Broncos lost 4 superbowls. Before they managed to win a couple. Then you have a a slough of random teams that haven't won a superbowl but they got there in modern times. ie.. Cardinals, falcons,chargers, etc...... All the Viking have done is lose lose lose and it's really sad sad sad considering how passionate their fanbase is.
Skol
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Chi-Town Vike wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:21 pm

I had a rebuttal for you that took a minute to type. But, lost my connection and not doin all that over. But one key point i made was, You said "anything can happen in the playoffs just get there" Vikings history has shown the only the Vikings do in the playoffs is loose. Whether it be an early exit from the playoffs or, A later disappointing lose or heartbreaking defeat. What makes it worse is that the Vikings have an extensive playoff history during the SB era compared to most teams in the NFL.

Never thought i'd see the day where tampa bay would win a superbowl before the Vikings. Much less 2 superbowls lol. Considering how horrible an organization they were. The bears won a superbowl and reached another in 2006 and they're a horrible organization. Sell tickets and merch is all they care about. The Bears don't even own their own Stadium lol. (Park district property) Then you have the SAINTS LOl they may have cheated but, they still got to keep the trophy. SHould i keep going? The Broncos lost 4 superbowls. Before they managed to win a couple. Then you have a a slough of random teams that haven't won a superbowl but they got there in modern times. ie.. Cardinals, falcons,chargers, etc...... All the Viking have done is lose lose lose and it's really sad sad sad considering how passionate their fanbase is.
I'm not really sure what our past history has anything to do with this season. Like sure, we've had some bad luck in the past but it has no bearing on the current season we are in. So I'm not sure how that's relevant to what I am discussing.
-Chazz Palminteri
Chi-Town Vike
Starter

Post by Chi-Town Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:22 am
Chi-Town Vike wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:21 pm I had a rebuttal for you that took a minute to type. But, lost my connection and not doin all that over. But one key point i made was, You said "anything can happen in the playoffs just get there" Vikings history has shown the only the Vikings do in the playoffs is loose. Whether it be an early exit from the playoffs or, A later disappointing lose or heartbreaking defeat. What makes it worse is that the Vikings have an extensive playoff history during the SB era compared to most teams in the NFL.

I'm not really sure what our past history has anything to do with this season
. Like sure, we've had some bad luck in the past but it has no bearing on the current season we are in. So I'm not sure how that's relevant to what I am discussing.
History repeats itself. You could write an Encyclopedia on the History of Viking misfortune.
Skol