Week 11: Cowboys @ Vikings predictions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Week 11: Cowboys @ Vikings predictions

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:38 pm - An overriding lack of belief that the Vikings are as good as their record indicates, while many seem to believe that Dallas is one of the better overall teams in the league.
I’m gonna say this right here, and I’ll likely repeat it frequently until such time as we’re eliminated from championship contention or hoist the Lombardi.

The Minnesota Vikings do not need anyone to tell them they’re good.

The pundits can kiss my a$$.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Cliff wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:31 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:21 pm To add to the "things to consider" box:

Did anyone else catch the celebration video on youtube of the Vikes after the win over the Bills? That was an EMOTIONAL celebration. Maybe that's what the do every time they win, what do I know? But my big fear is that their emotional and physical tanks are dry and they come out flat. I'm also worried about Booth Jr. getting his first start. I probably shouldn't worry, because the Cowboys were too stupid to hold onto Amari Cooper and gave him away for a 5th (why didn't WE trade for him?!), leaving CeeDee and ??? Gallup? Noah Brown? An overpaid, mediocre TE named Schultz?

We seem to have the Cowboys number in the playoffs and they have ours in the regular season. But that was in the Mike Zimmer era and before Kirk-O Chains had emerged. I think we do it again: a 4th quarter comeback for yet another emotional win. 24-21.
I don't think the stat really shows much. If you flipped a quarter 260 times 127 heads and 133 tails might very well a result you get.
True. If it were 8-1 teams, that would be a much more astonishing stat. As is, it says nothing of the quality of the team.

As a follow up, here's a stat that has some substance to it:
the Vikings are the first 8-1 team in the 42-year history of Football Outsiders metrics to have a negative DVOA.
Find more (to make your blood boil, if you care what the national media is saying), here: https://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/3 ... er-vikings
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

CharVike wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:32 pm
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:15 am Cowpies 24
Vikings 13
Sooner or later you will be right.
LOL, your right, a 50-50 chance. I still think the pies win by 7+ One thing I bet the Vikings have more than the cowpies, heart. No doubt about it. I dont know about all the culture stuff, but they have bought into KOC, no doubt about that.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:44 pm
CharVike wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:32 pm
Sooner or later you will be right.
LOL, your right, a 50-50 chance. I still think the pies win by 7+ One thing I bet the Vikings have more than the cowpies, heart. No doubt about it. I dont know about all the culture stuff, but they have bought into KOC, no doubt about that.
Dallas could win because anything can happen once the game starts. I don't know about culture either. IMO it's BS. Dallas lacks something because they can't play with the big dawgs. They opened the season and got kicked by the Bucs. Couldn't even make a game of it. They gave up and took the beating which tells me everything I need to know about them. They beat the so so teams on a consistent basis which you need to do but they lose to the better teams on a consistent basis also. That you can't do.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

My take on the Cowboys game involves the home crowd. Fans seem to have embraced a new level of excitement after last weeks game. I think a lot of people can see there is something special about the 2022 Vikings. The fans will be pumped tomorrow and are going to take their excitement to a higher level. I think for the first time this season the crowd is going to wake up and cause problems for the Cowboys.

Anyone going out to the game tomorrow better bring a set of ear plugs. I think the the US Bank stadium is going to see it’s loudest game in it’s short history. If the Vikings can keep the momentum I think they’ll be fine but I will stop short of calling the score. I’d just like to see the crowd become a big factor at these remaining home games.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

The Vikings going to go Pumped Up Kicks on the Cowpukes.
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Lash Man »

I predict the team with the most points at the end of the game will be the winner ! Unless ,,, they decide to protest and refuse to accept their loss ,,,, just sayin
LETS GO VIKINGS ! :rock:
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

If the line can hold up and we keep Dak in the pocket I predict a win. A run game will be vital to prevent Parsons from teeing off.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Chi-Town Vike
Starter

Post by Chi-Town Vike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:43 am I predict
Vikings win
Cowpukes lose
Why not offer a score to bolster your findings. watcha afraid of? It's all in fun.

I have the Vikes winning errr ummmmmm ummmmmmmm ummmmmmmm hmmmmm ? :idea: 24 -14 8)
Skol
Chi-Town Vike
Starter

Post by Chi-Town Vike »

StanM wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:37 am My take on the Cowboys game involves the home crowd. Fans seem to have embraced a new level of excitement after last weeks game. I think a lot of people can see there is something special about the 2022 Vikings. The fans will be pumped tomorrow and are going to take their excitement to a higher level. I think for the first time this season the crowd is going to wake up and cause problems for the Cowboys.

Anyone going out to the game tomorrow better bring a set of ear plugs. I think the the US Bank stadium is going to see it’s loudest game in it’s short history. If the Vikings can keep the momentum I think they’ll be fine but I will stop short of calling the score. I’d just like to see the crowd become a big factor at these remaining home games.
Should be straight up mayhem i'd like to witness the pop they get from the crowd when they come out the tunnel.
Last edited by Chi-Town Vike on Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skol
Chi-Town Vike
Starter

Post by Chi-Town Vike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:43 pm If the line can hold up and we keep Dak in the pocket I predict a win. A run game will be vital to prevent Parsons from teeing off.
Feel they're (Dallas) gonna try pounding Elliot early and often, establish a solid ground attack.. If that goes well for them they probably win a close game.
Skol
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:43 pm If the line can hold up and we keep Dak in the pocket I predict a win. A run game will be vital to prevent Parsons from teeing off.
Don't every game come down to the line holding up? That's not a nice to have but a must have. I'm a firm believer in winning the LOS battle. Everything starts at the point. I rag our interior OL big time but they have moments when they get the job done. Our 4th and 18 play our OL needed to block well. KOC told Cousins to get the ball to our guy and that's JJ. Cousins was able to step up in the pocket and make the play. If our OL was crushed that long route has no chance of working and we get beat. Cook is a dam good back but he needs some space or it won't happen. We have all seen it.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Chi-Town Vike wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:55 pm
Feel they're (Dallas) gonna try pounding Elliot early and often, establish a solid ground attack.. If that goes well for them they probably win a close game.
I’m hoping Tomlinson comes back soon. He was having a great year and was stout in the middle.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StanM wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:37 am My take on the Cowboys game involves the home crowd. Fans seem to have embraced a new level of excitement after last weeks game. I think a lot of people can see there is something special about the 2022 Vikings. The fans will be pumped tomorrow and are going to take their excitement to a higher level. I think for the first time this season the crowd is going to wake up and cause problems for the Cowboys.

I think it will be. That stadium is always loud to begin with, but being 8-1 now with SB aspirations, it’s going to be even crazier. I honestly never know what to expect from the cowboys. They are notoriously an underachieving team. They can look great one week and terrible the next.

I say vikes get their first 2 possession win in a while. 28-17 vikes
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Texas Vike wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:21 pm
VikingLord wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:38 pm I was puzzled as to why the Cowboys were favored in this game by what amounts to more than the typical +3 the home team gets by default, so I've been doing some reading and it appears the betting line comes down to 2 major factors:

- The Cowboys are statistically better than the Vikings. The Cowboys are like 4th in DVOA for yards per play differential between their offense and defense, while the Vikings are 17th in the same metric and actually are negative in that metric (meaning their defense gives up more yards per play than their offense gains). This differential plays out across other metrics as well. For example, the Cowboys are +47 in point differential on the season, while the Vikings are +35 I believe. And on it goes in multiple statistical categories where the Cowboys have just been objectively better even if that isn't necessarily reflected in their overall W-L record.

- An overriding lack of belief that the Vikings are as good as their record indicates, while many seem to believe that Dallas is one of the better overall teams in the league.

The first factor is more objective and hard to argue, although of course there is nuance in the stats, while the second factor is very subjective and comes down to how people generally view the talent on the two teams.

To be completely honest, I can understand why the betting line favors the Cowboys for that reason. The Vikings are 8-1, but they have yet to have a statement win or even a comfortable win. The Cowboys, on the other hand, have more losses, but have had several fairly comfortable wins this season, and did so in many of their games with Cooper Rush at QB. With Prescott back under center, the logic goes that they should be even better.

I'm a little surprised that the OT loss to what is turning out to be a bad Packers team is not weighing more heavily, especially given how Prescott struggled at times, but the Cowboys managed pretty convincing wins against the Lions and Bears in the two games prior to that and carried a 2 TD lead late into the game against the Packers and that must be carrying more weight.

Personally, I'm not worried about this game because I think you can throw the stats out the window. The Vikings may fall behind or even be behind late. They may again need some seemingly miraculous plays at key moments. I just believe they will make the plays that need to be made and the ball will bounce their way. Could the Vikings go out and dominate? I suppose they could. They've been playing better overall and more consistently, but even if that doesn't happen or Dallas gets ahead I'm just not worried.

I feel like the Vikings are starting to put it together, and this is the time of the year when good teams do that. Add their good fortune to that mix, and I think the Vikings win.
Fantastic post, VL!

To add to the "things to consider" box:
Over the past 20 years, NFL teams are 127-133 in the game immediately following a road game that went to overtime, according to ESPN Stats & Information research. -- Kevin Seifert
Did anyone else catch the celebration video on youtube of the Vikes after the win over the Bills? That was an EMOTIONAL celebration. Maybe that's what the do every time they win, what do I know? But my big fear is that their emotional and physical tanks are dry and they come out flat. I'm also worried about Booth Jr. getting his first start. I probably shouldn't worry, because the Cowboys were too stupid to hold onto Amari Cooper and gave him away for a 5th (why didn't WE trade for him?!), leaving CeeDee and ??? Gallup? Noah Brown? An overpaid, mediocre TE named Schultz?

We seem to have the Cowboys number in the playoffs and they have ours in the regular season. But that was in the Mike Zimmer era and before Kirk-O Chains had emerged. I think we do it again: a 4th quarter comeback for yet another emotional win. 24-21.
This is my fear too. However, I’ve had quite a few different “fears” over the season (like any other Vikings fan would given their history) and this team continues to put those fears to rest. This team is just built different. The young minded coaching staff, the confidence of Kirk even after he makes a mistake, how much better the OL is playing than in previous seasons, the defense constantly making big plays, etc. The culture this staff has established here has to be one of the best in the nfl after seeing the behind the scenes stuff. This team has shown the nfl that they aren’t going to lay down, no matter what the score is. That puts fear in opposing teams eyes if you ask me. Our foot is constantly on the gas on both sides of the ball.

For whatever reason, this team just isn’t giving me the “choke” vibes I’ve felt before. Or the “okay when is this going to crumble” feeling.
-Chazz Palminteri