It’s time to credit the defense

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Re: It’s time to credit the defense

Post by VikingsFan84 »

You all still want Donatell gone after the season? :confused:
Chi-Town Vike
Starter

Post by Chi-Town Vike »

CharVike wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:12 am
Chi-Town Vike wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:41 pm What about turnover differential though? Vikes currently tied for 3rd in the league with Dallas with a +6 t/o diff. Ravens 2nd with +7 and Eagles in the top spot with + 15. I'm leaning more on the takeaway aspect of the stat. History has shown that Greedy defenses make teams go far.
Wins and loses are based on points scored. Many things determine points and getting turnovers are great, We just won a game off a turnover. That was a TD 6 points. If Peg was allowed to attempt the extra point it would have been 7 oh wait still 6 But I agree turnover ratio is a key stat. Turnovers will kill you.
I can remember in years past when there'd be like 6 Vikings chasing a fumble but, the single lineman from the opponent still recovered and kept possession lol. or they'd be bobbling and dropping sure interceptions. LIke ouch!! shoulda had those.
Skol
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

This D is a joke, they dont deserve any credit. Other than being lucky. When the ball stops bouncing our way, like in the Cowpies game, we are in for a lot of pain. Hopefully a new DC next year, and move back to the 4-3. Or at least a 3-4 where the DBs can blitz and press cover sometimes. I think this D is in last place for any meaningful stat.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:13 pm This D is a joke, they dont deserve any credit. Other than being lucky. When the ball stops bouncing our way, like in the Cowpies game, we are in for a lot of pain. Hopefully a new DC next year, and move back to the 4-3. Or at least a 3-4 where the DBs can blitz and press cover sometimes. I think this D is in last place for any meaningful stat.
The Vikings must be the luckiest team of all time according to you
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:14 pm
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:13 pm This D is a joke, they dont deserve any credit. Other than being lucky. When the ball stops bouncing our way, like in the Cowpies game, we are in for a lot of pain. Hopefully a new DC next year, and move back to the 4-3. Or at least a 3-4 where the DBs can blitz and press cover sometimes. I think this D is in last place for any meaningful stat.
They certainly have most of the year, esp. with injuries. Thats all over as of last week. The Cowboys were beating us last week at the half by 23. They are losing to the Giants today. But the refs are going to help the cowpies any time they can.
Chi-Town Vike
Starter

Post by Chi-Town Vike »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:33 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:14 pm

They certainly have most of the year, esp. with injuries. Thats all over as of last week. The Cowboys were beating us last week at the half by 23. They are losing to the Giants today. But the refs are going to help the cowpies any time they can.
We got some calls last night. Well, the officiating went our way last night. a long time comin on that. They could've easily not have overturned that TD on the Pats. They missed a facemask on Jones and a few more calls.
Skol
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Chi-Town Vike wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:24 pm They could've easily not have overturned that TD on the Pats.
Serious question: Did the receiver drop the ball during the reception attempt? It looked to me like he bobbled it and then re-established the possession short of the goal line. If that was the case, shouldn't it have been a reception (but not a TD) with the spot of the ball at about the 1 foot line?
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Chi-Town Vike
Starter

Post by Chi-Town Vike »

Just Me wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:17 pm
Chi-Town Vike wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:24 pm They could've easily not have overturned that TD on the Pats.
Serious question: Did the receiver drop the ball during the reception attempt? It looked to me like he bobbled it and then re-established the possession short of the goal line. If that was the case, shouldn't it have been a reception (but not a TD) with the spot of the ball at about the 1 foot line?
Pretty sure that part of the ball made contact with the turf even though his hand was under it. Didn't appear to have firm control at that particular point. when the receiver rolled over on his back he kinda bobbled it as well. He didn't maintain control of the ball thru the catching process, as they say..
Skol
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

If the ball touched the ground (it did) and came loose, even for a split second (it did), then it’s incomplete. The ball has to “survive the ground,” as they say. Goal line has no bearing.

If he had bobbled it WITHOUT the ball touching the ground, then the outcome would have been as you suggested.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Chi-Town Vike
Starter

Post by Chi-Town Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:45 pm

If the ball touched the ground (it did) and came loose, even for a split second (it did), then it’s incomplete. The ball has to “survive the ground,” as they say. Goal line has no bearing.

If he had bobbled it WITHOUT the ball touching the ground, then the outcome would have been as you suggested.
For a minute there,i was like if they come back and rule inconclussive , i would a threw my beer bottle thru the tv screen. but yea the second time he lost his grip the ball was it resting om his chest. So it had to of touched the ground on the catch. It was a vikings game so i was expecting them to screw us.
Skol
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Sounds right. It initially looked like he was "bobbling it" through the catch but I wasn't sure it had touched the ground (since his hand appeared to be under the ball when the ball was close to the ground) and then he kept it on his chest at the end. It looked like it could have been a catch, but I wasn't invested enough to go back and study it. You seem sure it did touch the ground, so yeah, at that point it would be incomplete.

Thanks
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I don't know that I can say they don't deserve any credit. The defense has come up with some huge plays, especially late in many games this year, and while luck may play a role, they've been the difference.

Along those same lines, I'm not sure if the issue is scheme so much as predictability. Donatell seems to play it pretty straight, which in turn seems to make it easier for opposing QBs to read the field and make some pretty easy throws, especially to the flats and middle. Playing it straight can work if the defensive line can generate consistent disruption and pressure, and to be fair to the Vikings, they've been doing that pretty well, but they're also susceptible to getting burned when that pressure doesn't materialize.

Statistically, this defense hasn't been good. I believe they're ranked dead last against the pass right now, are middle of the pack in run defense, and have dropped off in scoring defense. The team overall is barely positive in terms of points differential. The Patriots do not have what I would consider a good offense, and yet they racked up over 400 yards against the Vikings defense. So there is cause for concern because I don't recall too many teams with defenses in the bottom half of the league having a lot of postseason success, much less winning a Superbowl.

I'll say this about the defense, though. They are an experienced group for the most part, and Donatell is an experienced defensive coordinator. They have some talented players on the defensive side of the ball at all levels. This is not a group that I expect will take any challenge lying down, and if there is an aspect of the overall team that could improve rapidly, the defense is that aspect IMHO. They're going to get Dantzler and Evans back soon as well as Tomlinson. The extra rest should help Zadarius as well. And I think many of the vets on the defensive side understand what it's going to take for them personally as they close out the season and try to gain momentum heading into January. I'm hopeful we'll start seeing evidence of a defensive surge as the team enters this final stretch of the regular season. The Jets at home is a perfect team to start against.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I agree with you Kapp. By rule, that wasn't a catch because it touched the ground and moved when it touched it. Doesn't matter if the player had his hand otherwise under it.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:35 pm

I agree with you Kapp. By rule, that wasn't a catch because it touched the ground and moved when it touched it. Doesn't matter if the player had his hand otherwise under it.
Twitter was its usual hilarious social media cesspool.

About a hundred Beaners (Patriots fans = Boston = Beantown = Beaners) posted screenshots of Henry’s hand under the ball.

My response is simple. Hi def TV broadcasts at 60 frames per second. You can cherry-pick one screenshot out of 60 each second that supports your argument. Good for you. But all it takes is one OTHER screenshot that shows the ball touching the ground, and the pass is, by rule, incomplete. Tony Dungy, of all people, posted such a photo. Argument over. Incomplete.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.