Cardinals @ Vikings post game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Cardinals @ Vikings post game

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:30 pm Not sure about him handling it well though. Cousins averaged 4.8 YPA (19th out f 27) , 0 picks 0 ints and a fumble and had 62 yards passing under pressure yesterday. He did have 2 scrambles in that situation so and I know he ran for a TD so maybe that is what you saw?
I thought he kept his composure, especially on a handful of drop backs where Cardinal rushers got a hand on him and others where he was flushed but he kept his eyes downfield and made the right read even if he didn't always make an accurate throw (the 3rd-and-1 where he had Jefferson open but just fired it too high and the other one where he overthrew a wide open Osborne on a route to the sideline). I've seen similar games where Cousins didn't handle the pressure, so while he wasn't perfect, he played the way he needs to play if the offense is going to have success.

I also thought Cousins was excellent inside the 20. Made a great decision to run in the first TD for the offense, and that throw to Osborne on the out route was spectacular.

Also what stands out is his attitude. They showed him after the TDs and he was pumped up. My son said he'd never seen Cousins so hyped and it was great. If the Vikings are going anywhere this year they're going to need leadership and motivation from Cousins, so him showing that does reflect in the way the offense performs.
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:30 pm PP had a great game, only giving up 2 receptions, with 37 of the 42 yards given up coming as YAC on a 38 yard play I don't remember seeing.

Dantzler gave up 77 yards (12th most), 9 receptions on 10 targets and Sullivan gave up 102 yards (3rd most), 10 receptions on 12 targets.

PFF didn't like Smith's coverage (graded 54th of 68 qualifying safeties) while Bynum had a good grade at 62.4 in coverage.
They still gave up more yardage than I liked (especially the Moore TD and the Ertz TD, both of which should have been stopped if not for sloppy tackling), but in general the DBs showed a lot of pop and came up and made plays on several pass attempts. Mostly, I'm comparing what I saw from that group earlier in the season with what I saw yesterday and based on what I saw yesterday it looked like a group that is growing in confidence and playing more cohesively. Whether the stats support that impression I don't know, but that is my impression.

To be fair, they can improve much more, and I think most of them would agree with that, so I'm not saying it was a lights-out performance across-the-board. Peterson definitely played well, and hopefully he's the leading indicator of the progress we'll see from the rest of them now as they enter the 2nd half of the season.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:20 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:14 pm

Which makes getting a trade done for a TE before tomorrow's deadline even more important. The Colts are looking out of things and have some interesting young talent. Any others?
Albert Okwuegbunam from the Broncos and Gisecki from Miami.
Greg Dulcelch...Broncos TE... interesting as well
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:59 am - Very impressed with the efficiency of the Vikings offense inside the red zone yesterday and overall. The Vikings play design in those situations is impressive, with multiple options after the snap. I personally can't follow the ball and all the motion, so I can't imagine how difficult it is to defend. They've got Reagor running pre-snap motion, a real running threat, excellent routes by the WR's. That first TD to Mundt was a thing of beauty. Very efficient when they have scoring opportunities and as an added bonus, they seem to be getting better and more comfortable executing in those situations as well.

- Very impressed with Cousins yesterday. Cardinals brought the pressure all game and Cousins handled it very well.

- Along those lines, anyone else impressed by how hyped Cousins was after the scores? He seems like he is really into it this year. Love the determination and leadership. The other players see it and feel it and it does make a difference.

- I liked what I saw from the DBs yesterday. Coverage was generally better but they were flying up to hit and make plays. Dantzler and Peterson seem to be playing with chips on their shoulders now. Sullivan made some nice plays, and of course, Smith and Bynum showed up as well.

- Does anyone else just feel a different *vibe* from this year's team? I mean, on Smith's INT you could see Peterson doing like a dance mid field. He couldn't do anything to help block, but he was seriously dancing mid field. I loved it. And then the team overall just seems to be enjoying it, from Zadarius Smith to Cousins to Thielen. Heck, even Bradbury got an unsportsmanlike penalty called on him. Granted, never like to see a penalty, but come on, when does an offensive lineman ever get called for one of those? Might be the rare example of a good penalty in that it reflects passion and investment.

I really don't know how the score of the game was as close as it was. It felt like the Vikings dominated the Cardinals (kind of like how I felt after the Vikings beat the Saints). Obviously, some things to clean up and still room to improve, but I like what I saw from the team overall.

Just got to keep this rolling now. If there is a challenging part of the schedule, these upcoming games are it. They seem to be putting it together though, and this is the time of the year when teams that want to challenge for the title start putting it together. I'm very optimistic on this team.
Regarding Bradbury, he got penalized for calling Budda Baker “soft” after Dalvin Cook’s long run. That’s according to Dalvin, who called it normal jawing on the field. To be honest, if that’s why Bradbury got flagged, then that call Was soft.

As for Cousins and the team playing for one another, check this out from Kirk. He’s talking about his TD run. It’s GOLD.
"Honestly, we had a great play for man coverage, and they defended it really well," he said. "I was surprised at their ability to take it away. Then I kind of was like, 'I got to go, I got to move.' I was still looking to throw it, but didn't feel we had anybody. Just kind of took off. Usually the cavalry gets there a lot faster, but on that one, for some reason, I was able to get to the front pylon. I had no idea how much it means to the O-linemen when I run. They said it was big deal to them. I didn't realize that. If I'd known that, maybe I'd run more. For some reason they really liked it. Garrett (Bradbury) said it was the greatest thing he has ever seen."
This team goes to the mat for each other. Luck? Whatever. There’s talent, there’s coaching, and for once there’s heart.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:32 pm Good god, we must have the most neurotic fan base in the NFL.

We win and go to 6-1. As soon as Green Bay loses, the Vikings will be 3.5 games in front WITH the tiebreaker.

And we got people here saying that once our luck runs out, we won’t even make the playoffs.

Go ahead and live in your pathetic woe-is-me, sky-is-falling world. I refuse to see 6-1 as anything but phenomenal. Not perfect. Nobody is. But pretty damn phenomenal. This was a great day. I got to tailgate with a fellow VMB member. I got to meet and get autographs from Tommy Kramer and Ted Brown. I saw pure class in Jared Allen get inducted into the Ring of Honor. And I got to watch my Vikings win a big one in USB. There is no way you merchants of doom are bringing me down.
I am happy we are 6-1. We are winning ... but,,,,

Our six wins . The records of those teams are

Wins. 17 wins and Losses 29.

We have 5 games coming up
Buffalo 6-1
Dallas 5-2
Patriots 5-3
Jets 5-3
N.Y.Giants 6-2

Over all record
27 wins 11 losses

Detroit gave us one. Close every other outside of maybe GB..was never safe from losing.

How many of the above 5 teams do we beat. They all will be tougher than what we faced so far. Outside of the Eagles.

Are The colts, commanders, Packers, Lions , Bears, all give me wins. I say no. Just like the five upcoming games may not be guaranteed losses.

We have a hard road ahead and very lucky to be 6-1.

I will be cheering strong, bleeding purple we beat most of those teams coming up. I guess enjoy what we have going

I didnt intend for this to be a downer post.

Just believe we will have to play better than what we have
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

CharVike wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:39 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:00 pm

No luck involved. We played better they did. :govikes:
The Cards are a playoff team with supposedly a great young QB. You need more than luck to beat that.
Murray gave that game to us with turnovers.
Kirk had a couple 3rd down melt downs that ended drives, and that hurt us.
We should have won that game by a lot more.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

halfgiz wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:23 pm
The Cards are a playoff team with supposedly a great young QB. You need more than luck to beat that.
There was that one drive where we were into AZ territory and Kirk missed JJ by a mile on a rollout to the left and then on the next play he missed someone else pretty bad. It was odd, as he's usually so precise. I saw KOC talk to him afterwards and whether it was that or just Kirk resetting his mind, he did manage to play pretty well the rest of the game.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Foreman44 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:59 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:32 pm Good god, we must have the most neurotic fan base in the NFL.

We win and go to 6-1. As soon as Green Bay loses, the Vikings will be 3.5 games in front WITH the tiebreaker.

And we got people here saying that once our luck runs out, we won’t even make the playoffs.

Go ahead and live in your pathetic woe-is-me, sky-is-falling world. I refuse to see 6-1 as anything but phenomenal. Not perfect. Nobody is. But pretty damn phenomenal. This was a great day. I got to tailgate with a fellow VMB member. I got to meet and get autographs from Tommy Kramer and Ted Brown. I saw pure class in Jared Allen get inducted into the Ring of Honor. And I got to watch my Vikings win a big one in USB. There is no way you merchants of doom are bringing me down.

Buffalo 6-1
Dallas 5-2
Patriots 5-3
Jets 5-3
N.Y.Giants 6-2

Over all record
27 wins 11 losses

Detroit gave us one. Close every other outside of maybe GB..was never safe from losing.

How many of the above 5 teams do we beat. They all will be tougher than what we faced so far. Outside of the Eagles.

Are The colts, commanders, Packers, Lions , Bears, all give me wins. I say no. Just like the five upcoming games may not be guaranteed losses.

I will be cheering strong, bleeding purple we beat most of those teams coming up. I guess enjoy what we have going

I think Vikings will lose to the Bills. that is pretty much it
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:55 pm There was that one drive where we were into AZ territory and Kirk missed JJ by a mile on a rollout to the left and then on the next play he missed someone else pretty bad. It was odd, as he's usually so precise. I saw KOC talk to him afterwards and whether it was that or just Kirk resetting his mind, he did manage to play pretty well the rest of the game.
On the one where he missed JJ it was like 3rd-and-1 or something. Kirk got flushed out and was rolling to his left. I thought for sure he would just run for the 1st as it looked like he had room in front of him, but he kept his eyes downfield and saw JJ turn towards him and slow down, allowing the coverage to overrun him. JJ was wide open and I think Kirk saw the right thing, but since he was on the move to his left and not his right it was a much more challenging throw to make on the move. The ball ended up high and left.

I remember the other throw. It was a sideline route by Osborne and Kirk had him open but simply sailed it. I don't remember but I think he was under pressure again and might have been on the move.

While I don't want to minimize the accuracy issues with those throws, I took away from it that Kirk is keeping his eyes downfield and keeping his options open. Going back to the 3rd-and-1 miss to JJ, he probably should have just picked up the 1st there with his feet since he had that wide open, but I don't fault him for looking for the bigger play there either. I think JJ made a nice move to get open and had they connected it would have been a nice chunk play.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Foreman44 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:59 pm I didnt intend for this to be a downer post.

I agree with you, but I also see a Vikings team that actually can play better than they have and is trending in the right direction.

Put another way, the team is 6-1 with upside. That's a very good place to be at this point in any season.

As you note, the Vikings are going to be tested now, but I believe they can pass those tests. I see a team with great chemistry and camaraderie, a team that believes in itself, and a team that is stepping up in key moments and making plays. It's been a long time (probably the 2017 team with Keenum at QB) where I saw a Vikings team where the players really seemed to be enjoying themselves.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Buffalo 6-1
Dallas 5-2
Patriots 5-3
Jets 5-3
N.Y.Giants 6-2

Over all record
27 wins 11 losses

It’s the NFL. All wins count.

Do you honestly think our roster is significantly better than the Cardinals’? It’s not. Yet we won by 8, but the most frequent comment on here is that we should’ve won by more. This from a fan base that has watched the Vikings go a completely joyless 15-19 over the past two years, losing to Cooper Rush and winless Detroit. We blew games against Cincinnati, Arizona, Cleveland, Baltimore, San Francisco …on and on. This year, with 80% the same roster, we find ways to win. Yet this fan base says we’re lucky.

Yes, there’s luck involved. But that’s not the same as lucky. The Vikings scored 34 points yesterday, and you’d think we won 7-6. We were in complete control of this game from start to finish.

Biggest thing for me … this team is EASY to root for. They play for each other. They believe in their coaches and their system. They LOVE their fans. They have fun.

I’m not crazy enough to think this team can’t lose again. But until they do, I’m not going to cry about how we win our games. I love this team. And I’ll tell you this. They can beat anyone. Even Philly. Even Buffalo. Even Kansas City. Will they beat everyone? Not likely. But they’re good enough to win any game, and they’re getting better.

That’s my take. I’m enjoying the hell out of watching this team. If they make improvements, great. If they lose in the first round, OK. We didn’t expect a Super Bowl inYear 1. But big picture, this franchise is headed in the right direction. You can’t convince me otherwise. And it’s about time.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

halfgiz wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:23 pm
Murray didn't give the game to us. We took it from him by turning him over.
Kirk should have ran for the First down that one time. However, if he had been his usual accurate self on the pass it would have been a bigger play. Kirk played well. He didn't hurt us.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingsFan84 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:24 pm

Buffalo 6-1
Dallas 5-2
Patriots 5-3
Jets 5-3
N.Y.Giants 6-2

Over all record
27 wins 11 losses

I think Vikings will lose to the Bills. that is pretty much it
The Bills look like the best team in the league and we play them on the road. I don't count that as a sure loss, but anybody who is expecting us to win that game is oblivious to reality. I can live with you expecting us to lose that game.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Just because you can always count on me to give the glass-half-full point of view, I give you this gem from Kevin Siefert …
Of the five previous teams to do what the Vikings have done so far in 2022 — win five one-possession games over its first seven without a loss — three made the Super Bowl: the 2015 Denver Broncos, the 2006 Indianapolis Colts and the 2003 Carolina Panthers.
Too early? Oh well. I like to dream, and I’ve been dreaming of the Big Game since January of 1977.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Buffalo 6-1
Dallas 5-2
Patriots 5-3
Jets 5-3
N.Y.Giants 6-2

Over all record
27 wins 11 losses

The bottom line they beat the teams they should have beat. I've followed for 50 years and there have been many games when we had good teams that lost to a crap team and hurt the season. The better teams will be harder to beat and that goes for every team in the NFL. There's been post before about this. Your post isn't a downer it was an explanation for our record and you are correct. But we beat those teams. That's key. We will get beat again eventually. That's a guarantee. The Bills could beat the crap out of us. They beat the SB Rams to death. But the game must be played and things happen. I'm sure every Bill fan thinks playing us is a gimme. I would if I was them.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

CharVike wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:31 am

Buffalo 6-1
Dallas 5-2
Patriots 5-3
Jets 5-3
N.Y.Giants 6-2

Over all record
27 wins 11 losses

The bottom line they beat the teams they should have beat. I've followed for 50 years and there have been many games when we had good teams that lost to a crap team and hurt the season. The better teams will be harder to beat and that goes for every team in the NFL. There's been post before about this. Your post isn't a downer it was an explanation for our record and you are correct. But we beat those teams. That's key. We will get beat again eventually. That's a guarantee. The Bills could beat the crap out of us. They beat the SB Rams to death. But the game must be played and things happen. I'm sure every Bill fan thinks playing us is a gimme. I would if I was them.
I been watching 60 years much of what you said I agre. We lost some last yr we should have won.

But we will see how good we are in the upcoming 5 games