Dead time, your opinions,likes,dislikes

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Foreman44
Transition Player

Dead time, your opinions,likes,dislikes

Post by Foreman44 »

I dislike that I am 70 years old and time running out to see my first SB Championship. Fan since 1962

I like how the players seem enthused about the new coaching staff, the system out new coach is going.

Going back to my dislike. You need to give coach 3-4 years to build his team, my time is running out.

Like. Possible out new staff can pull a Viking miracle.

Like. Zimmer and company gone. Should have gotten rid of him a year earlier. I didn’t like his hire to begin with.

Like a young coach, newer ideas
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Dead time, your opinions,likes,dislikes

Post by CharVike »

Likes - Getting rid of Speilman and Zimmer. You don't see teams chasing after these two guys.
Getting a new young head coach.
Changing the defensive approach. I'm not a fan of a 3-4 but it has been proven to work.
DisLike - I'm not impressed with this new GM. His trade down strategy for nothing is the same BS that has created our current roster.
Of course if his player evaluation is off the charts then it won't matter. That won't be the case and he
elected to trade away from the top rated talent which I hate. I've seen enough of that and the finale result of doing it.
IMO there will be better players that were selected between his drop down spot and his original spot.
Bottom line I wanted rapid changes. Our OL blows and that will be our downfall once again. Our piece mail approach don't work. I wanted to see the Andy Reid approach. Wipe it clean and start from an empty box. He did it in one off season. Maybe that is too high of an expectation. This wait, wish and hope don't cut it. How about just do it.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I'm excited for this new regime. I have more confidence in KOC right now than I do Kwesi but did like who Kwesi brought in via free agency and the draft. He just had an odd way of doing it. But there's no need to say that was the wrong way until we see this play out. Overall I think this new staff has really brought in a player friendly culture into the building. Call me crazy but having a great culture makes a huge impact on winning and losing games. I think the Vikings have a real strong chance to win the division this year and maybe a playoff game or two. But I expect even more in 2023 after we get a year of this offensive and defensive scheme under our belts.

One thing that's driving me nuts right now.... Bradbury at center. Supposedly they are running Chris Reed at 2nd team center a lot. Maybe their entire plan is to move Reed there and is having him run 2nd team to get use to it and then open up a competition between him and Bradbury come training camp. My only worry is that I was kind of banking on Reed being our starting RG this year. I really dont want Jesse Davis there and that's who's been taking a lot of the 1st team RG reps. Given Ingram was a 2nd round pick, he should push for that spot too.

I'm hoping for one of the following....

C- Reed
RG- Ingram

OR

C- Sign Tretter
RG- Ingram or Reed

If Bradbury is involved, that spot is going to be a massive weakness.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

I am happy with both the coach and GM hires as well as the coaching staff they have put together. The reason that I am happy is that management knows a lot more than I ever will about the game and my underlying philosophy that if any sport ever makes me angry it’s not worth watching. My detachment from the final season results is directly attributable to having followed the Vikings since game one in 1961. I too am running out of time to witness them winning a SB but I don’t believe karma, the cosmos or whatever determines these things owes me anything.

Everything about the Vikings is OK by me but forum members arguing about opinions supported by pages of statistics tends to take over most threads. This is the lull before training camp, it’s hot, the price of beer is up, I understand the frustration but the fights are counter productive so I am holding back until camp starts and we see some more meaningful conversations.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I like Kevin O’Connell. By all reports, he’s a breath of fresh air in the building, and his staff seems to be cut from the same cloth. People talk about coaching trees all the time. The McVay tree is pretty remarkable thus far, and my hope is that O’Connell is the best of the bunch. I’ve been a leader for a long time, and I believe organizations run best for the longest time when the leader empowers others. Good leaders create great followers, but great leaders create other leaders. I think O’Connell may well have that quality. If he has it with Cousins, he might just end up in the HOF.

I like US Bank Stadium. A lot. When my wife and I are both retired, we’re buying season tickets, even though we live 250 miles away. Primary reason we’re willing to drive 4 hours to a game? The Bank.

I like Dalvin Cook. People think I don’t like him because I believe he’s overpaid. Not true. I don’t think ANY running back is worth $13 million a year in the modern NFL. But I love Cook the player and the man — his talent and his leadership. I hope he rushes for 180 yards and 4 TDs in the Super Bowl and you all come back here and say, “I told you so.”

I like talking about the Vikings in depth.

I love researching things and formulating opinions based on facts. That includes statistics. Sorry Stan.

I love quality journalism. I WAS a journalist, so I know it when I see it. And I believe that journalists need two things to be trusted … access and track record. I still believe quality journalism exists, even in the age of social media. It’s just harder to find. Which is why I love research, including the background of the journalist.

Which brings me to …

I HATE social media basement journalists who have paid no dues, have no training, and have access to no one. I ESPECIALLY hate that so many of them get picked up by large media outlets like USA Today. These hacks are good at one thing … search engine optimization. They’re certainly not good at reporting or writing.

I love Joe Kapp. I was in the stands at Met Stadium as a 9-year-old when he threw 7 TDs in a game against the Baltimore Colts in September of 1969. When I met him outside my hotel in 2019, I was so star-struck I could barely speak and forgot to get a photo. We can talk greatest Vikings quarterbacks of all time, and Kapp would be pretty far down the list. But for one season in 1969, no Viking ever meant more to his team.

Finally, I love the Minnesota Vikings with a passion that burns hotter than a thousand suns. I’m the kind of guy who refuses to turn off the game, even if we’re getting blown out like in the 2001 and 2017 NFCCG. When they finally do win a Super Bowl — and unlike so many purple pessimists, I believe they WILL win at least one in my lifetime — I’m not ashamed to admit that this grown man will cry. Probably for a solid week.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:50 pm I like Kevin O’Connell. By all reports, he’s a breath of fresh air in the building, and his staff seems to be cut from the same cloth. People talk about coaching trees all the time. The McVay tree is pretty remarkable thus far, and my hope is that O’Connell is the best of the bunch. I’ve been a leader for a long time, and I believe organizations run best for the longest time when the leader empowers others. Good leaders create great followers, but great leaders create other leaders. I think O’Connell may well have that quality. If he has it with Cousins, he might just end up in the HOF.

I like US Bank Stadium. A lot. When my wife and I are both retired, we’re buying season tickets, even though we live 250 miles away. Primary reason we’re willing to drive 4 hours to a game? The Bank.

I like Dalvin Cook. People think I don’t like him because I believe he’s overpaid. Not true. I don’t think ANY running back is worth $13 million a year in the modern NFL. But I love Cook the player and the man — his talent and his leadership. I hope he rushes for 180 yards and 4 TDs in the Super Bowl and you all come back here and say, “I told you so.”

I love researching things and formulating opinions based on facts. That includes statistics. Sorry Stan.

I love quality journalism. I WAS a journalist, so I know it when I see it. And I believe that journalists need two things to be trusted … access and track record. I still believe quality journalism exists, even in the age of social media. It’s just harder to find. Which is why I love research, including the background of the journalist.

Which brings me to …

I HATE social media basement journalists who have paid no dues, have no training, and have access to no one. I ESPECIALLY hate that so many of them get picked up by large media outlets like USA Today. These hacks are good at one thing … search engine optimization. They’re certainly not good at reporting or writing.

I love Joe Kapp. I was in the stands at Met Stadium as a 9-year-old when he threw 7 TDs in a game against the Baltimore Colts in September of 1969. When I met him outside my hotel in 2019, I was so star-struck I could barely speak and forgot to get a photo. We can talk greatest Vikings quarterbacks of all time, and Kapp would be pretty far down the list. But for one season in 1969, no Viking ever meant more to his team.

Finally, I love the Minnesota Vikings with a passion that burns hotter than a thousand suns. I’m the kind of guy who refuses to turn off the game, even if we’re getting blown out like in the 2001 and 2017 NFCCG. When they finally do win a Super Bowl — and unlike so many purple pessimists, I believe they WILL win at least one in my lifetime — I’m not ashamed to admit that this grown man will cry. Probably for a solid week.
I love this post Kapp!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:05 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:50 pm I like Kevin O’Connell. By all reports, he’s a breath of fresh air in the building, and his staff seems to be cut from the same cloth. People talk about coaching trees all the time. The McVay tree is pretty remarkable thus far, and my hope is that O’Connell is the best of the bunch. I’ve been a leader for a long time, and I believe organizations run best for the longest time when the leader empowers others. Good leaders create great followers, but great leaders create other leaders. I think O’Connell may well have that quality. If he has it with Cousins, he might just end up in the HOF.

Which brings me to …

I love this post Kapp!
I should have been more specific. Stats aren’t the problem so much as the name calling and fighting over them. Stats are just stats and opinions are just opinions, statements such as “you’re an idiot” and not letting up until the person agrees are the turnoffs. Nothing unique to this forum, the insults have become the scourge of internet discussions. When that happens I back off and let them go at it.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

StanM wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:59 am I should have been more specific. Stats aren’t the problem so much as the name calling and fighting over them. Stats are just stats and opinions are just opinions, statements such as “you’re an idiot” and not letting up until the person agrees are the turnoffs. Nothing unique to this forum, the insults have become the scourge of internet discussions. When that happens I back off and let them go at it.
Agree 100%. It gets so old, and adds nothing to the discussion. You don't agree with a poster, make your point, move on, let it go... Please for the love of all things good let it go! There is no need for the back and forth that goes on. Especially when it gets personal.... It sure seems limited to about small handful of posters, but it makes it hard to follow this board at times. Maybe I should put them on ignore because usually it's a pissing match, but there are times that those posters have valid points, and I would hate to miss those. I don't post much, but I read just about everything here.... And I've been here and was on UseNet before we came here, so a really long time.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StanM wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:59 am

I love this post Kapp!
I should have been more specific. Stats aren’t the problem so much as the name calling and fighting over them. Stats are just stats and opinions are just opinions, statements such as “you’re an idiot” and not letting up until the person agrees are the turnoffs. Nothing unique to this forum, the insults have become the scourge of internet discussions. When that happens I back off and let them go at it.
And I should have been more clear … I was kidding. You know I love your wisdom and level-headedness — a benefit mostly enjoyed by old guys like us!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Thaumaturgist wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:30 am
StanM wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:59 am I should have been more specific. Stats aren’t the problem so much as the name calling and fighting over them. Stats are just stats and opinions are just opinions, statements such as “you’re an idiot” and not letting up until the person agrees are the turnoffs. Nothing unique to this forum, the insults have become the scourge of internet discussions. When that happens I back off and let them go at it.
Agree 100%. It gets so old, and adds nothing to the discussion. You don't agree with a poster, make your point, move on, let it go... Please for the love of all things good let it go! There is no need for the back and forth that goes on. Especially when it gets personal.... It sure seems limited to about small handful of posters, but it makes it hard to follow this board at times. Maybe I should put them on ignore because usually it's a pissing match, but there are times that those posters have valid points, and I would hate to miss those. I don't post much, but I read just about everything here.... And I've been here and was on UseNet before we came here, so a really long time.
Well to save everyone's sanity on here, I decided to be the bigger man and foe Stump! I've been on here for 10 years, established some great relationships and care more about what you guys want than I do going back and forth with him any longer. I apologize for being so late on this. You can all thank me later :D
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:53 am
Thaumaturgist wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:30 am
Well to save everyone's sanity on here, I decided to be the bigger man and foe Stump! I've been on here for 10 years, established some great relationships and care more about what you guys want than I do going back and forth with him any longer. I apologize for being so late on this. You can all thank me later :D
Good decision.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

I like that the team did not extend or trade Hunter and are going to see what happens this year prior to making a decision.

I dislike that they didn't do the same with Cousins.

I like the KOC hiring but would have preferred Harbaugh.

I like having a game changing WR to build around once the Vikings decide to move on from older players who are no longer competing at a high level.

I really dislike that a below .500 team decided to maintain the status quo and not attempt to increase their cap space and picks in years where they might actually be able to compete. The Vikings are in a bad cap situation yet again next year with only 2 million to spend. They will have to make tough decisions to either move on from older players or push the can down the road again when they should have just ripped the band aid off this year.

I dislike the GM and that he has learned from his time in Cleveland that most fans don't care what players do off the field and will buy tickets and root for the team even if it signs or trades for scum. On top of that, his moves so far have the potential to hurt this team for years with very little upside to mitigate that risk.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:16 pm I like that the team did not extend or trade Hunter and are going to see what happens this year prior to making a decision.

I dislike that they didn't do the same with Cousins.

I like the KOC hiring but would have preferred Harbaugh.

I like having a game changing WR to build around once the Vikings decide to move on from older players who are no longer competing at a high level.

I really dislike that a below .500 team decided to maintain the status quo and not attempt to increase their cap space and picks in years where they might actually be able to compete. The Vikings are in a bad cap situation yet again next year with only 2 million to spend. They will have to make tough decisions to either move on from older players or push the can down the road again when they should have just ripped the band aid off this year.

I dislike the GM and that he has learned from his time in Cleveland that most fans don't care what players do off the field and will buy tickets and root for the team even if it signs or trades for scum. On top of that, his moves so far have the potential to hurt this team for years with very little upside to mitigate that risk.
:lol:
i'm ready for a beer.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StanM wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:59 am

I love this post Kapp!
I will say that I read when any of you three post. I might not agree with you but that's all part of a great discussion. I know with myself I can jump to quick decisions, opinions and views. That's why I could never be a GM our HC. I'd cut half the team after a loss. But I'm glad we are turning the page. Rick and Zim were given a fair chance and I respect both of them even though I'll cut them up. None of us know how this will turn out. But it's better than the same old stuff again. Let's hope that we become a complete team that can figure out how to win games when everything isn't working great. Have more than one way to win.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Kapp wins the thread. Sorry everyone else. Great post.

I worked on the operations side of a state wide newspaper for a decade before reading the writing on the wall (har har) around 2010 and leaving the industry. It bums me out to see where journalism has gone. No longer is it important to be correct, just to be first. The news cycle is so short it's OK to be wrong. No one remembers a few days later. Gaaaahhhh.

I still subscribe to a daily delivered newspaper, and I am in my 40s. Very few of my peers do.

I like my newspaper. Haha.

I dislike inaccurate reporting.

I love John Randle, he is what made me a Vikings fan as a young teen. Then Moss.

I dislike Gary Anderson. Totally not fair. I get it. Ultimate team sport. Many factors go into a loss. That was my first true, "you got Viking'd" experience.

I like koc, so far. I like the atmosphere change. I hope it works. Kam I am in complete wait and see mode.

I like the wilfs made changes.

I dislike the wilfs belief of "just make the playoffs".

I like Kirk's durability. Product of him, or his desire to dump before anything can happen? Don't know. Bit of a chicken or the egg statement.

I like having other Vikings fans to talk with about the Vikings. I dont care if i agree or disagree. There are some good posters here. Oklahoma was full of band wagon Vikings fans who have all disappeared since AD moved on and aged. I like that it's back to very few of us where I live. Pre AD. Haha.

I dislike the offseason.

I like the idea for this thread.
Last edited by makila on Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.