Watson to Cleveland

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Watson to Cleveland

Post by VikingsVictorious »

This is shocking to me. 3 FRPs and other draft compensation and then Cleveland gives Watson 5 years $230 million fully guaranteed. A guy who didn't play last year and only won 4 games the year before. He certainly has potential, buttttt...............

Neither the trade or contract is official yet, but that's the report.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Watson to Cleveland

Post by Dames »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:34 pm This is shocking to me. 3 FRPs and other draft compensation and then Cleveland gives Watson 5 years $230 million fully guaranteed. A guy who didn't play last year and only won 4 games the year before. He certainly has potential, buttttt...............

Neither the trade or contract is official yet, but that's the report.
Seems crazy to me as well. They are going all in that is for sure. I mean, it's probably exciting to be a Cleveland fan right now. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out over the next few years.
Damian
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Oh, this is interesting. Very smart.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/150 ... gr%5Etweet
Important contract note for Deshaun Watson, who got a 5-year, $230M contract. His base salary for 2022 is $1M, which means if he’s suspended, it’ll come out of that base.
Damian
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

OK, let's tell the full history. Yes, the Texans won only 4 games in 2020. But they were 10-6 and 11-5 the two years before that. They had Kansas City down 24-0 in the 2019 divisional round. And by the time 2020 came around, Bill O'Brien had pretty well ruined that team.

Watson also played in consecutive National Championship games for Clemson, winning one and throwing for 825 yards and 7 TDs in those two games. As a pro, he's been excellent. Even in their 4-12 year, he threw for almost 5,000 yards and 33 TDs. Also, no quarterback in the NFL has faced more pressure than Watson, yet he's one of the best. Some of the plays he makes off script are reminiscent of Lamar Jackson, but he's a far better passer than Jackson.

Bottom line, the guy can flat-out play, and he's a winner. He's proven that at every level.

What surprises me (and no matter who signed him, this would have surprised me) is that Cleveland would take on the PR nightmare that is to come. I'm all for forgiveness and redemption. I've been outspoken in my disapproval of continuing to think of someone as guilty after they've been acquitted. But there are civil suits pending from 22 different women. Yes, a grand jury failed to indict, but that's different from an acquittal, and this thing is far from over in the public's mind. Who knows if the NFL will even let him play without a suspension? And the Browns gave up three first-rounders, a third, and a late-round pick to take this on, plus 5 years and $230 million fully guaranteed. Just ... wow.

There was talk a couple of weeks ago that Minnesota was one of Watson's desired destinations. I don't for a minute think Kirk Cousins is on Watson's level as a player. But given the PR nightmare, and given the cost Cleveland paid, I'm glad that never materialized.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:15 pm OK, let's tell the full history. Yes, the Texans won only 4 games in 2020. But they were 10-6 and 11-5 the two years before that. They had Kansas City down 24-0 in the 2019 divisional round. And by the time 2020 came around, Bill O'Brien had pretty well ruined that team.

Watson also played in consecutive National Championship games for Clemson, winning one and throwing for 825 yards and 7 TDs in those two games. As a pro, he's been excellent. Even in their 4-12 year, he threw for almost 5,000 yards and 33 TDs. Also, no quarterback in the NFL has faced more pressure than Watson, yet he's one of the best. Some of the plays he makes off script are reminiscent of Lamar Jackson, but he's a far better passer than Jackson.

Bottom line, the guy can flat-out play, and he's a winner. He's proven that at every level.

What surprises me (and no matter who signed him, this would have surprised me) is that Cleveland would take on the PR nightmare that is to come. I'm all for forgiveness and redemption. I've been outspoken in my disapproval of continuing to think of someone as guilty after they've been acquitted. But there are civil suits pending from 22 different women. Yes, a grand jury failed to indict, but that's different from an acquittal, and this thing is far from over in the public's mind. Who knows if the NFL will even let him play without a suspension? And the Browns gave up three first-rounders, a third, and a late-round pick to take this on, plus 5 years and $230 million fully guaranteed. Just ... wow.

There was talk a couple of weeks ago that Minnesota was one of Watson's desired destinations. I don't for a minute think Kirk Cousins is on Watson's level as a player. But given the PR nightmare, and given the cost Cleveland paid, I'm glad that never materialized.
I doubt the NFL owners will come down too hard given Robert Krafts personal history. And I wouldn't rule out the possibility of lawyers drumming up a feeding frenzy by tracking down every massage parlor the guy ever visited and offering promises of big chunks of change. All that said, I don't know what Watson's exactly even accused of and haven't looked into the details.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

fiestavike wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:30 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:15 pm OK, let's tell the full history. Yes, the Texans won only 4 games in 2020. But they were 10-6 and 11-5 the two years before that. They had Kansas City down 24-0 in the 2019 divisional round. And by the time 2020 came around, Bill O'Brien had pretty well ruined that team.

I doubt the NFL owners will come down too hard given Robert Krafts personal history. And I wouldn't rule out the possibility of lawyers drumming up a feeding frenzy by tracking down every massage parlor the guy ever visited and offering promises of big chunks of change. All that said, I don't know what Watson's exactly even accused of and haven't looked into the details.
First, I need to retract my earlier "fact," which I had wrong.

There are not 22 women. It's one woman filing 22 civil suits, each alleging Watson of sexual misconduct at the massage parlor where she worked.

And yeah, with $230 million on the way, look for more allegations. Not saying anything about Watson's guilt or innocence, but it's why I cringe every time someone says, "Why would she lie?"
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

He can play no question. It's just a lot of baggage he comes with is the point I'm making. Interesting that only one person has made allegations against him (if that's accurate) when I heard it was many. Very different light.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Fortunately for the organization the extra salary they will probably have to promise the massage therapists on staff will not have to count against the cap.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:53 pm He can play no question. It's just a lot of baggage he comes with is the point I'm making. Interesting that only one person has made allegations against him (if that's accurate) when I heard it was many. Very different light.
Now I’m not sure.

Sports Illustrated said it was one woman.

Lindsey Jones of The Athletic says it’s many.

I don’t know. But I agree with you. It’s a lot of baggage, and the Browns are going to get crucified in the media and the court of public opinion.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Insane assets to give up. Wow.

I think Watson is a hell of a player. That 4 win team was a horrible roster, it wouldn't scare me at all with him.The previous two seasons are impressive. He won in college as well. It is not his on field ability. It's the off field stuff. I thought it was a bunch of women, not one with multiple suits. I could be wrong, haven't followed the details too close. I think I'd prefer my team not sign him. I also fully understand the hypocrisy among most fan bases about any player on their teams, and we'd likely be no different. Want to tell myself otherwise though.

-----

From an article on the athletic on 3/15
(link below if you have a sub, entire article has some..graphic things, so I won't copy and paste all here).

The Deshaun Watson trade negotiations are underway, with sources confirming the Houston Texans quarterback was to meet with the Carolina Panthers, New Orleans Saints and Cleveland Browns in the past two days. Watson also has serious interest from the Atlanta Falcons, a source confirmed.

But this is hardly a simple trade scenario, even after a grand jury decided last week that Watson would not face criminal charges on allegations of sexual misconduct and sexual assault.

Any trade will involve substantial compensation to Houston of first-round picks and established players. The team that acquires Watson will give up these assets understanding the quarterback is being sued by 22 women in civil court and remains the subject of an NFL investigation.

On Tuesday, the same day Watson was scheduled to meet with the Browns, he sat for a deposition for two of those civil suits. Tony Buzbee, the attorney for the 22 women who have filed suit against Watson, told The Athletic that Watson answered questions for four hours, but unlike during his first two depositions last week, Watson did not invoke the Fifth Amendment.

Let’s take an updated look at what’s next for Watson and how teams are proceeding with him:

What’s the status of the civil cases?

Far from over. Watson has sat for four depositions, and will be deposed 18 more times during this phase of the proceedings.

If the cases are not settled out of court — and Buzbee said he is not actively seeking settlements — this could be a long process for Watson that could stretch into the 2022 NFL season and beyond. The cases, while similar in nature, have been consolidated only for depositions and would be tried individually if they were to reach that point.

Buzbee on Tuesday told The Athletic that the rapid shift in the narrative, one now focused again on Watson’s football future, “demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the civil process.”

What’s the status of the NFL’s investigation?

NFL investigators have interviewed at least 10 of the women who have accused Watson of sexual misconduct or sexual assault, but Buzbee said the league hasn’t conducted any new interviews with his clients in “months.”

The league previously informed lawyers on both sides that it would slow-play its own investigation so as to not interfere with the criminal investigation. Now that a grand jury in Houston has declined to indict Watson on any criminal charges, the NFL’s investigation could ramp up.

The league has yet to interview Watson, though he would likely be the final person to speak with lead investigator Lisa Friel or her staff. The league’s personal conduct policy requires players to cooperate with investigations, and a failure to do so could result in discipline.

What is the commissioner’s exempt list and is it an option here?

The commissioner’s exempt list was created in 2014 in the wake of the Ray Rice domestic violence case. It allows the league to remove players facing felony charges from the playing field and take that disciplinary decision away from individual teams. The exempt list is, in essence, a paid suspension during the regular season for players facing felony charges. The personal conduct policy states the NFL can also place a player on this list if league investigators want more time to look into allegations of a “crime of violence.”

The NFL did not place Watson on this list in 2021 while the accusations against him were in civil court or in the criminal investigative stage. The Texans ruled Watson inactive in all 17 games with a “non-injury-related” designation and he did not practice with the team after limited work during training camp.

We don’t know what the league would have done had Watson been traded at the deadline in November and a new team had wanted him to play while the criminal investigation was ongoing.

Roger Goodell is unlikely to put Watson on the commissioner’s exempt list now that the quarterback is not facing felony charges.

Could Watson eventually be suspended?

Yes. The NFL can punish players for personal conduct policy violations even if they are not facing criminal charges.

Players who were given notable suspensions despite a lack of criminal charges against them include:

• Ben Roethlisberger: Six games, reduced to four on appeal, in 2010 after allegations of sexual assault.
• Jameis Winston: Three games in 2018, after a female Uber driver accused him of sexual misconduct.
• Ezekiel Elliott: Six games in 2017, after an accusation of domestic violence by a former girlfriend.
• Kareem Hunt: Eight games in 2019, after a physical altercation with a woman at a hotel was captured on surveillance video.

The NFL and Goodell have broad disciplinary power under the collective bargaining agreement, and the personal conduct policy states that NFL players and employees are “held to a higher standard and must conduct ourselves in a way that is responsible, promotes the values of the NFL and is lawful.”

https://theathletic.com/3187776/2022/03 ... uspension/
Last edited by makila on Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

This just shows the value of QBs in the NFL. The shortage is tremendous. Watson is a good QB. Yes he has the civil cases and that stuff will get settled. The quicker the better would be my approach. Giving up those picks is a small price. Watson value is the 1st pick + which is off the charts. There is no development time needed which is a huge benefit. He's a 10 plus year player and all that added up don't come around very often. I don't think the fans will give a crap about that civil stuff. Hopefully Watson has learned something from this. He is a much bigger target now than he was before.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

This does mean we will get to see a lot of Case this year while Watson serves his suspension.

One more chance to try to earn another chance to start for someone in 2023.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

The Rams and Matthew Stafford have reached agreement on a four-year, $160 million extension that includes $135 million guaranteed and should allow the veteran quarterback to finish his career in Los Angeles, sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:10 pm The Rams and Matthew Stafford have reached agreement on a four-year, $160 million extension that includes $135 million guaranteed and should allow the veteran quarterback to finish his career in Los Angeles, sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter.
Rams paid too much for an mediocre quarterback
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

StumpHunter wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:04 am This does mean we will get to see a lot of Case this year while Watson serves his suspension.

One more chance to try to earn another chance to start for someone in 2023.
Case got traded to Buffalo....Today