NFL needs to change rule about coordinators interviewing while team is in playoffs

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purplepain2018
Backup

NFL needs to change rule about coordinators interviewing while team is in playoffs

Post by Purplepain2018 »

I really do not like the fact that coordinators (offensive/defensive) are interviewing for potential head coaching vacancies while their current team is still in the playoffs. A couple of reasons is that it takes time away from putting together a game plan for that upcoming playoff game and to me it just sends the wrong message to the team. Why can't the NFL put in a rule that prohibits any interviews until the season is over? The game plan from the New Orleans game to the San Fran was totally opposite. I am glad Stefanski is leaving (I don't know that he has done all that much to be a HC). I would really love for them to go out and get a OC who will play to the Vikings strengths and take more shots down the field.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: NFL needs to change rule about coordinators interviewing while team is in playoffs

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Purplepain2018 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:11 pm I really do not like the fact that coordinators (offensive/defensive) are interviewing for potential head coaching vacancies while their current team is still in the playoffs. A couple of reasons is that it takes time away from putting together a game plan for that upcoming playoff game and to me it just sends the wrong message to the team. Why can't the NFL put in a rule that prohibits any interviews until the season is over? The game plan from the New Orleans game to the San Fran was totally opposite. I am glad Stefanski is leaving (I don't know that he has done all that much to be a HC). I would really love for them to go out and get a OC who will play to the Vikings strengths and take more shots down the field.
I totally agree with this, it is not fair to the other teams
S197
Fenrir

Re: NFL needs to change rule about coordinators interviewing while team is in playoffs

Post by S197 »

Agreed. But honestly it really showed where his head was at. Put himself before the team, I don’t want anyone like that around.
me4get
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by me4get »

There is already a rule that teams needs a teams permission to talk to staff on teams in the playoffs

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/10/1403 ... llow-rules
Viking fan since '65
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

me4get wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:17 am There is already a rule that teams needs a teams permission to talk to staff on teams in the playoffs

They should change it to they are not allow to ask permission to talk to staff on teams until they are out of the playoffs
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

I think we're probably making a bigger deal of this than it really is (hopefully KS was able to delegate to his assistants for the hours he was gone) but it is coincidental that it has happened to us a few times:

Billick in 1998
Shurmur in 2017
Stefanski in 2019

All games either blown out or just didn't look right (1998).

Packer fans also believe whole-heartedly that they lost the 1997 Super Bowl because Holmgren was already on his way to Seattle and not focused on the game.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

TSonn wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:17 am I think we're probably making a bigger deal of this than it really is (hopefully KS was able to delegate to his assistants for the hours he was gone) but it is coincidental that it has happened to us a few times:

Billick in 1998
Shurmur in 2017
Stefanski in 2019

All games either blown out or just didn't look right (1998).

Packer fans also believe whole-heartedly that they lost the 1997 Super Bowl because Holmgren was already on his way to Seattle and not focused on the game.
It's incredibly hard to hard if it really affected how the team played, but the evidence could certainly point to that. I guess I'm not going to do a deep dive on it, but I would certainly think it would have SOME effect on the team.

It ABSOLUTELY has to have an effect on the coach being interviewed, and not just for the few hours he's in the interview. His mind is split between his current job and his potential new job. Anyone who has interviewed for a job while still currently trying to do their current job knows this. No matter what line of work your in. You know he was daydreaming about being a HC throughout the day, and going over interview questions in his head, and it very likely affected his sleeping. And while I can't say for certain if it changed anything, it's not hard to imagine it had a negative effect even in the slightest.
Damian
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:42 am
me4get wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:17 am There is already a rule that teams needs a teams permission to talk to staff on teams in the playoffs

They should change it to they are not allow to ask permission to talk to staff on teams until they are out of the playoffs
I think the only way to solve it is to make it so teams can't interview/hire coaches until the SB is over. No matter if the teams are in the playoffs or not. At that point the season is over for everyone, and the next one begins. If everyone plays by the same rules, all teams are on equal footing.

Too bad it probably won't happen.
Damian