Guide to Current Viking Players Trade Value

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Guide to Current Viking Players Trade Value

Post by StumpHunter »

I have been reading some unrealistic trades being thrown around on here, and thought I would attempt to create a guide with players actual values. I could be dead wrong, but it could not be any worse than thinking we could get anything of value for Sendejo

Cousins: Would take a 1st to dump his salary, or we would need to take on another bad QB salary to get rid of him. Think Bortles/Keenum/Tannehill for Cousins.

Sendejo: Maybe a 7th. His contract isn't bad, but he has little value as a player.

Rhodes: Marcus Peters making significantly less than Rhodes, only got a 2nd. I think we could get a 2nd for Rhodes from a team like the Jets who have a ton of cap, and few players to spend it on. Likely a 3rd or a 4th is best case scenario for him though.

Griffen: Again, his contract hurts his trade value dramatically. I don't think any team would be willing to take it on.

Waynes: A one year rental or a trade and sign situation. Maybe a 3rd for him? More likely a fourth.

Remmers/Reif: 0 trade value

Rudolph: 0 trade value

Feel free to disagree with this below, but I don't see us getting better via trades.
Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Guide to Current Viking Players Trade Value

Post by Cliff »

Cousins isn't going anywhere until his contract is up and/or Zimmer is fired. I think their fates are intertwined as far as how long they're each with the Vikings. Zimmer has said as much about whoever the QB of the future was at the time.

None of Zimmer's CBs are going anywhere if he can help it, I'd say.

The Vikings don't have the capital for a trade outside of one of their receivers which I don't see happening. They won't have the money for big FA signings. They're going to have to hope for some contributions from rookies next season, I think.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I guess I'm not sure why Cousins is even on here given we just signed him and he has a mega deal. Very unrealistic.

As for Griff, it's not that nobody would want to take on his contract. It's more nobody would want to take on his history. Griff couldnt simply retire if he was traded to a team he didnt want to go to. Or go AWOL at any point. The contract is just the cherry on top. He carries zero traded value at this point.

Also, Waynes. He has turned into an excellent CB the past few years. IMO he was our best CB this year. And yes, ended up being a much better pick than Marcus Peters in the long run

As crazy as it sounds, I would trade Rhodes before Waynes. Rhodes is starting to get to me. It's like any time he knows he's burned, he pulls up for an injury. Revis use to do that and did it when Moss embarrassed him with that one handed TD in NE. Mac has turned into a stud and Hughes looked promising. Hill did as well. Either way, I just dont see Zim trading any CB given how he's said multiple times you can never have enough CBs.

The only one I think has a legit shot of being traded is Sendejo. He is still a good players, fairly young, middle of the road contract. Outside of that, nobody is going anywhere IMO
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I suspect Sandejo will be a cap casualty and then he'll catch on somewhere else. Maybe even turn it into another pay day.
Remmers will likely be the other cap casualty.

I think they will also ask EG to redo his deal some. Reiff maybe the same, but Reiff has less invested in this franchise so that is probably a much more difficult ask.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

I know most will disagree with me but I sort of feel bad for Remmers (as bad as anyone can feel for a multimillionaire 20 something athlete :v): )

I mean he signed to play RT and he was serviceable / adequate when he played RT. Then, due to gaping holes at OG he was forced into playing out of position and in a new position that did not match his strengths. He didn’t complain (at least not publicly as far as I know) but Not surprisingly he failed miserably at his new position

Now he is vilified and will most likely get cut this offseason
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:20 pm I guess I'm not sure why Cousins is even on here given we just signed him and he has a mega deal. Very unrealistic.

As for Griff, it's not that nobody would want to take on his contract. It's more nobody would want to take on his history. Griff couldnt simply retire if he was traded to a team he didnt want to go to. Or go AWOL at any point. The contract is just the cherry on top. He carries zero traded value at this point.

Also, Waynes. He has turned into an excellent CB the past few years. IMO he was our best CB this year. And yes, ended up being a much better pick than Marcus Peters in the long run

As crazy as it sounds, I would trade Rhodes before Waynes. Rhodes is starting to get to me. It's like any time he knows he's burned, he pulls up for an injury. Revis use to do that and did it when Moss embarrassed him with that one handed TD in NE. Mac has turned into a stud and Hughes looked promising. Hill did as well. Either way, I just dont see Zim trading any CB given how he's said multiple times you can never have enough CBs.

The only one I think has a legit shot of being traded is Sendejo. He is still a good players, fairly young, middle of the road contract. Outside of that, nobody is going anywhere IMO
Cousins is on here because people have thrown out that we should trade him. He will not be traded, and I see no reasonable scenario where a trade (ignoring his no trade clause) makes this team better.

I disagree on Sendejo. I can't see a team willing to give up more than a 7th for what will be a borderline starting safety, coming off a season ending injury, who got outplayed by his backup. As it is now, the Vikings will likely cut him.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:35 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:20 pm I guess I'm not sure why Cousins is even on here given we just signed him and he has a mega deal. Very unrealistic.

Cousins is on here because people have thrown out that we should trade him. He will not be traded, and I see no reasonable scenario where a trade (ignoring his no trade clause) makes this team better.

I disagree on Sendejo. I can't see a team willing to give up more than a 7th for what will be a borderline starting safety, coming off a season ending injury, who got outplayed by his backup. As it is now, the Vikings will likely cut him.
Sendejo USE to be a borderline starting safety IMO. I would say he is above average now. The injury is concerning but a team like Atlanta, I could definitely see them trading for a safety.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Nobody's going to trade for Sendejo. He's not the kind of guy you trade for. He's the kind of guy you pick up after he becomes a cap casualty. Which he will become.

He's a good player who positions himself well and generally makes the correct play. Jerry Gray, the Vikings DB coach, says he's probably the most prepared and most studied DB on the team. He'll catch on somewhere. But the Vikings aren't likely to keep him. Not after the way Anthony Harris played down the stretch. Cheaper, younger, just as dedicated, just as good. Maybe better. This league is all about cheap talent.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

More and more I think the Vikings will look to move Waynes.

They will need at least a high 3rd to consider it though, imo, so we will see what the rest of the NFL thinks of him.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Why they would move what is IMHO their best corner is beyond me.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:04 pm More and more I think the Vikings will look to move Waynes.

They will need at least a high 3rd to consider it though, imo, so we will see what the rest of the NFL thinks of him.
Yeah why move waynes? He was our best CB this year and cost way less than Rhodes will when he gets a new contract. No less Rhodes fakes an injury when he gets burnt. If it was me and I HAD to trade a DB, I Trade Rhodes when he still has value. I personally don’t want to trade a DB this year but if I had to, it definitely wouldn’t be waynes

And FWIW, Rhodes was the 105th ranked CB this year according to PFF. Like pff or not, that’s terrible. Waynes was 47, hill was 41 and Alexander was 16. That’s a “shutdown CB”. Even on a bad year, you don’t score that bad. I personally think Waynes is the best all around CB from a coverage and tackling standpoint
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:55 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:04 pm More and more I think the Vikings will look to move Waynes.

Yeah why move waynes? He was our best CB this year and cost way less than Rhodes will when he gets a new contract. No less Rhodes fakes an injury when he gets burnt. If it was me and I HAD to trade a DB, I Trade Rhodes when he still has value. I personally don’t want to trade a DB this year but if I had to, it definitely wouldn’t be waynes

And FWIW, Rhodes was the 105th ranked CB this year according to PFF. Like pff or not, that’s terrible. Waynes was 47, hill was 41 and Alexander was 16. That’s a “shutdown CB”. Even on a bad year, you don’t score that bad. I personally think Waynes is the best all around CB from a coverage and tackling standpoint
This is good evidence for not using PFF grades to judge how well a CB played. I don't think anyone would argue Alexander was the 16th best CB in the NFL this season, and there is no way the #1 CB of the #3 passing defense was 106th. That is just silly. It is very different guarding the other team's #3 option versus their #1, a distinction PFF doesn't care about.

To be that good against the pass, both Rhodes and Waynes had to have been playing very well. However, based on contracts and age, Waynes makes way more sense in a trade than Rhodes. I don't think the Vikings can extend Waynes past 2019, while Rhodes is under contract until 2022, and his age makes him a much more valuable trading chip.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:57 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:55 pm

This is good evidence for not using PFF grades to judge how well a CB played. I don't think anyone would argue Alexander was the 16th best CB in the NFL this season, and there is no way the #1 CB of the #3 passing defense was 106th. That is just silly. It is very different guarding the other team's #3 option versus their #1, a distinction PFF doesn't care about.

To be that good against the pass, both Rhodes and Waynes had to have been playing very well. However, based on contracts and age, Waynes makes way more sense in a trade than Rhodes. I don't think the Vikings can extend Waynes past 2019, while Rhodes is under contract until 2022, and his age makes him a much more valuable trading chip.
The eye test alone this year showed that Rhodes didn’t play well. And when he was beat he was “injured” almost every time. We don’t know if waynes can be extended beyond 2019 because we have no idea who will be cut and who won’t money wise. Yeah Rhodes is under contract until 2022 but if he makes it that long and playing at a high level, I’d be shocked. He’ll be 29 going into next year. And he’ll be 32 when his contract is up. How often are corners still shutting down #1s at age 32? Or even by age 30? It’s very rare. And this could be the last year Rhodes carries much value and teams would be willing to take on his contact. After that we are stuck with him and his big contract. Waynes is 2 years younger and entering his prime. He’ll also command less than Rhodes did. So if we keep waynes we essentially save money, get a younger CB and currently, a better CB that is good vs both the run and pass
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:08 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:57 pm

The eye test alone this year showed that Rhodes didn’t play well. And when he was beat he was “injured” almost every time. We don’t know if waynes can be extended beyond 2019 because we have no idea who will be cut and who won’t money wise. Yeah Rhodes is under contract until 2022 but if he makes it that long and playing at a high level, I’d be shocked. He’ll be 29 going into next year. And he’ll be 32 when his contract is up. How often are corners still shutting down #1s at age 32? Or even by age 30? It’s very rare. And this could be the last year Rhodes carries much value and teams would be willing to take on his contact. After that we are stuck with him and his big contract. Waynes is 2 years younger and entering his prime. He’ll also command less than Rhodes did. So if we keep waynes we essentially save money, get a younger CB and currently, a better CB that is good vs both the run and pass
Tough to use the good ole eye test, when the TV only shows the CB when his guy is thrown too.

I think you are missing the point though. It wouldn't matter if Waynes was better than Rhodes, he isn't, but it doesn't matter. Rhodes has little trade value at his age and current contract. Waynes might have more. To trade a very good corner you better get something good in return.

I am also not positive trading Rhodes saves all that much next year (he has 7.2 million dead cap hit, which could still count against the Vikes), and I am positive extending Waynes would cost the Vikings more per year in 2020 and going forward than Rhodes' contract would.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I agree. They drafted Hughes for a reason. They need Wayne's cap room, and he's gone after this year either way, so it makes sense to get something for him. He's also nearly always a step late when targeted and lacks the aggression to ever take the next step. His guy is never wide open, but he's also almost never really covered against an accurate QB. If they could flip him for a 2nd to be used on a starting Guard or a replacement for Barr or Rudolph that would be awesome value.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins