Off season changes/ hirings & firings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Off season changes/ hirings & firings

Post by Texas Vike »

Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
Follow Follow @RapSheet
More
Before #Vikings try to make interim OC Kevin Stefanski their full-time OC some competition: The #Browns have requested Stefanski for an HC interview. … Also, not only is #Colts DC Matt Eberflus getting looks, but so is OC Nick Sirianni. He’s on short lists, too, including CLE
This got me thinking about what changes I'd like to see or that other posters anticipate.

When asked in his presser about Stefanski, Kirk Cousins said he loved working with him and he went out of his way to correct the reporter who was assuming that Stafanski would take the OC position if it were offered to him. Cousins noted that Stefanski may get lured away.

It's sounding like Zimmer and Spielman are safe, but I suspect they make changes at STs coach at the very least. I would think OL coach might be open for conversation too. OC is the biggest decision.

Thoughts?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Off season changes/ hirings & firings

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:21 pm
Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
Follow Follow @RapSheet
More
Before #Vikings try to make interim OC Kevin Stefanski their full-time OC some competition: The #Browns have requested Stefanski for an HC interview. … Also, not only is #Colts DC Matt Eberflus getting looks, but so is OC Nick Sirianni. He’s on short lists, too, including CLE
This got me thinking about what changes I'd like to see or that other posters anticipate.

When asked in his presser about Stefanski, Kirk Cousins said he loved working with him and he went out of his way to correct the reporter who was assuming that Stafanski would take the OC position if it were offered to him. Cousins noted that Stefanski may get lured away.

It's sounding like Zimmer and Spielman are safe, but I suspect they make changes at STs coach at the very least. I would think OL coach might be open for conversation too. OC is the biggest decision.

Thoughts?
I don't think Stefanski is going anywhere. Ad I think he's the best option, with Adam Gase a #2.
To me the biggest decision is OL coach. It better be someone with a good reputation like a Mike Tice.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:32 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:21 pm

Thoughts?
I don't think Stefanski is going anywhere. Ad I think he's the best option, with Adam Gase a #2.
To me the biggest decision is OL coach. It better be someone with a good reputation like a Mike Tice.
Bill Callahan probably one of the best OL coaches in the game. And is familiar with Cousins.
https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/12/3 ... ll-results
Last edited by halfgiz on Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

We're either going to see Mike Zimmer working with his 5th OC in 6 years or they're going to retain Stefanski, who is apparently a head coaching candidate. Stefanski didn't impress me over the last 3 weeks but he's survived through 3 different coaching staffs so he must impress somebody. I'm indifferent about him staying or going.

If the Wilfs don't give Zimmer an extension, hiring top assistants might prove difficult because they'll know they could be entering a situation where they might ned up looking for a job again a year later.

As Josh mentioned, they could use an OL coach like Mike Tice. Tice knows how to put together a good running game and get the most out of linemen, he's retired and an unlikely candidate for the job but if they could find someone that qualified, it might make a huge difference for them (assuming they add more talent to the OL). Maybe they'll decide to stick with Barone and Janocko at this position.

They need to do something to improve their run defense. Maybe that just involves personnel changes, maybe coaching changes, but something has to be done.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

halfgiz wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:03 pm Bill Callahan probably one of the best OL coaches in the game. And is familiar with Cousins.
https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/12/3 ... ll-results
That's an interesting possibility.
Purplepain2018
Backup

Post by Purplepain2018 »

Talking about changes, I would love to see on ESPN: BREAKING NEWS: THE MINNESOTA VIKINGS HAVE FIRED HEAD COACH MIKE ZIMMER AND GM RICK SPIELMAN. That would truly make a great New Year's present. I have been saying all year that Mike Zimmer will NEVER get the Vikings to the Super Bowl. He showed us that yesterday in the loss to the Bears. In a win and your in game AT HOME and the fans get an effort like THAT? Zimmer is terrible in big games...he is almost as bad in big games as Cousins is. This team needs a lot of changes before next year...we need to start at the top with Zimmer and Spielman.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Purplepain2018 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:18 pm Talking about changes, I would love to see on ESPN: BREAKING NEWS: THE MINNESOTA VIKINGS HAVE FIRED HEAD COACH MIKE ZIMMER AND GM RICK SPIELMAN. That would truly make a great New Year's present. I have been saying all year that Mike Zimmer will NEVER get the Vikings to the Super Bowl. He showed us that yesterday in the loss to the Bears. In a win and your in game AT HOME and the fans get an effort like THAT? Zimmer is terrible in big games...he is almost as bad in big games as Cousins is. This team needs a lot of changes before next year...we need to start at the top with Zimmer and Spielman.
Yep. Zimmer will get another year though.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I'm with those who think there is a chance Zimmer will step down. I feel like he's lost the fire. This whole team played like a group who didn't believe football was the most important thing. They aren't wrong, but its hard to win if you take that approach.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Interestingly, Cincinnati fired Marvin Lewis.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

If the Vikes don't want Stef as the OC, I hope they interview Adam Gase. I know Gase hasn't done much in Miami, but he led a statue-esque Peyton Manning to a record-breaking season with the Broncos and a superbowl win the year after - could be a good fit with Kirk and the rest of the offense.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

TSonn wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:47 pm If the Vikes don't want Stef as the OC, I hope they interview Adam Gase. I know Gase hasn't done much in Miami, but he led a statue-esque Peyton Manning to a record-breaking season with the Broncos and a superbowl win the year after - could be a good fit with Kirk and the rest of the offense.
That Denver team had a great OL. Manning would have been killed behind our OL.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Can someone enlighten me: based on his resumé and his (obviously brief) 3 games performance as interim OC this season, why on earth would Kevin Stefanski be a prime candidate for an OC position, much less a head coaching position?
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I think for OC is because he has put in his due and has been under the tutelage and coached under of some of the good 'ol boys in NFL circles in Childress, Bevell, Musgrave, Norv and Shurmur. He's also been a position coach just about everywhere you can on the offensive side. I also think because it was known that Shurmur quite possibly wanted to bring Stefankski along with him to New York, it gave Stefanski more clout and got his name out there more for other teams to want to take notice.

As far as why HC? No clue. Teams could be reaching to try and find the next Sean McVay and given what I mentioned, he could be a darkhorse candidate.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:57 am I think for OC is because he has put in his due and has been under the tutelage and coached under of some of the good 'ol boys in NFL circles in Childress, Bevell, Musgrave, Norv and Shurmur. He's also been a position coach just about everywhere you can on the offensive side. I also think because it was known that Shurmur quite possibly wanted to bring Stefankski along with him to New York, it gave Stefanski more clout and got his name out there more for other teams to want to take notice.

As far as why HC? No clue. Teams could be reaching to try and find the next Sean McVay and given what I mentioned, he could be a darkhorse candidate.
I get the impression he fits a currently popular HC profile (ie: young offensive assistant) so that might explain the HC interest. Teams want to find the next McVay.

Thanks for your reply. Maybe there's a lot of weight being given to his experience working with those "good ol' boys". I know hee spent his first few years with the team in more of an administrative role and then he worked with QBs, TEs and RBs. As far as I know, the last 3 games were his only experience calling plays (is that correct?). He has definitely worked with some pretty respected NFL offensive minds though so maybe he's shown from day to day that his various experiences have prepared him for a bigger role.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:09 pm
PacificNorseWest wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:57 am I think for OC is because he has put in his due and has been under the tutelage and coached under of some of the good 'ol boys in NFL circles in Childress, Bevell, Musgrave, Norv and Shurmur. He's also been a position coach just about everywhere you can on the offensive side. I also think because it was known that Shurmur quite possibly wanted to bring Stefankski along with him to New York, it gave Stefanski more clout and got his name out there more for other teams to want to take notice.

I get the impression he fits a currently popular HC profile (ie: young offensive assistant) so that might explain the HC interest. Teams want to find the next McVay.

Thanks for your reply. Maybe there's a lot of weight being given to his experience working with those "good ol' boys". I know hee spent his first few years with the team in more of an administrative role and then he worked with QBs, TEs and RBs. As far as I know, the last 3 games were his only experience calling plays (is that correct?). He has definitely worked with some pretty respected NFL offensive minds though so maybe he's shown from day to day that his various experiences have prepared him for a bigger role.
He's been praised by whoever he's coached. I would be ok with him being made the full time OC. I think the fact that he's survived as many coaches as he has speaks volumes especially nowadays.
It annoys me that teams want the next Sean mcvay because he really hasn't done anything yet. He's clearly improved a team that struggled for a ong time but he's still 0-1 in the playoffs and is in his third year. Even Zimmer had early success.