What are the missing pieces for this Vikings team?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purplepain2018
Backup

What are the missing pieces for this Vikings team?

Post by Purplepain2018 »

According to most experts, Kirk Cousins was supposed to the missing piece that would put the Minnesota Vikings over the top. After Cousins signing most believed that they were in the top three of best teams in the NFL. One thing that most experts forget is the NFL is always changing and with free agency, the draft and trades teams can change really quickly from one year to the next.

Obviously, as the season has played itself out the Vikings were more than Kirk Cousins away from being great. The Vikings still have a very talented, young and up and coming team. The core and nucleus of this team of young and veteran players is in the top five of the entire NFL. The problem is that the Vikings also hired a new offensive coordinator this past off-season who really had not set the tone of the identity of the offense. The NFL has become a passing league, but you also have to balance throwing the ball with running the ball and I believe the Vikings got too enamored with Thielen, Diggs, Rudolph, Robinson and Treadwell.

So what are some pieces of the football puzzle that are still missing for the Vikings?

1. The offensive line should be priority #1 in the offseason whether through free agency, the draft or trades. This group cannot be
neglected anymore. The mistakes from this group shows up every week and especially the road games.
2. Need another edge rusher. Everson Griffen has been great, but has really dropped off this year. All the Vikings really have are
Danielle Hunter and Stephen Weatherly.
3. Defensive back help. This unit has played well, but have also been really sporadic. Xavier has not been Xavier this year and
for whatever reason. Waynes has been hurt, Hughes out with knee, Hill has been up and down, Sherels cannot play DB, and
Alexander has come on as of late. Need more playmaking ability and depth.
4. Running back depth. Latavious is probably gone after this year.
5. Linebackers. Barr the jury is still out on whether he is back or not; Kendricks has had an off year; Gideon is invisible.
6. Kicker. Gotta get this position solidified.
7. Safety. Gotta sign Anthony Harris long term. Sendejo is gone. Iloka is probably gone too.

I know that is a lengthy list and the Vikings are also limited by the salary cap as well. Just a few thoughts.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Re: What are the missing pieces for this Vikings team?

Post by YikesVikes »

1) 2 Interior guards. One signed the other drafted. I want hole openers. I will settle for slower powerful guys. Im just tired of seeing our RB hit in the backfield or him running into a space the OG just got blown up into.
2) A playmaking LB. One that attacks downhill and is physical. Both of our current LBs are not physical.
3) Sendejo is probably gone but we will probably pay Harris about the same. Only reason to move on from Sendejo is age.
4) Rookie QB to groom. Move on from our current 2nd. Our 3rd becomes our 2nd and draft a guy to groom. I want a guy with huge upside with bust potential. Rather that than a guy who is safe with no NFL talent.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

YikesVikes wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:01 pm 1) 2 Interior guards. One signed the other drafted. I want hole openers. I will settle for slower powerful guys. Im just tired of seeing our RB hit in the backfield or him running into a space the OG just got blown up into.
2) A playmaking LB. One that attacks downhill and is physical. Both of our current LBs are not physical.
3) Sendejo is probably gone but we will probably pay Harris about the same. Only reason to move on from Sendejo is age.
4) Rookie QB to groom. Move on from our current 2nd. Our 3rd becomes our 2nd and draft a guy to groom. I want a guy with huge upside with bust potential. Rather that than a guy who is safe with no NFL talent.
#2. sure do miss EJ Henderson. One of my favorites. That guy could just blow up a play.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Purplepain2018 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:36 pm According to most experts, Kirk Cousins was supposed to the missing piece that would put the Minnesota Vikings over the top. After Cousins signing most believed that they were in the top three of best teams in the NFL. One thing that most experts forget is the NFL is always changing and with free agency, the draft and trades teams can change really quickly from one year to the next.

Obviously, as the season has played itself out the Vikings were more than Kirk Cousins away from being great. The Vikings still have a very talented, young and up and coming team. The core and nucleus of this team of young and veteran players is in the top five of the entire NFL. The problem is that the Vikings also hired a new offensive coordinator this past off-season who really had not set the tone of the identity of the offense. The NFL has become a passing league, but you also have to balance throwing the ball with running the ball and I believe the Vikings got too enamored with Thielen, Diggs, Rudolph, Robinson and Treadwell.

So what are some pieces of the football puzzle that are still missing for the Vikings?

1. The offensive line should be priority #1 in the offseason whether through free agency, the draft or trades. This group cannot be
neglected anymore. The mistakes from this group shows up every week and especially the road games.
2. Need another edge rusher. Everson Griffen has been great, but has really dropped off this year. All the Vikings really have are
Danielle Hunter and Stephen Weatherly.
3. Defensive back help. This unit has played well, but have also been really sporadic. Xavier has not been Xavier this year and
for whatever reason. Waynes has been hurt, Hughes out with knee, Hill has been up and down, Sherels cannot play DB, and
Alexander has come on as of late. Need more playmaking ability and depth.
4. Running back depth. Latavious is probably gone after this year.
5. Linebackers. Barr the jury is still out on whether he is back or not; Kendricks has had an off year; Gideon is invisible.
6. Kicker. Gotta get this position solidified.
7. Safety. Gotta sign Anthony Harris long term. Sendejo is gone. Iloka is probably gone too.

I know that is a lengthy list and the Vikings are also limited by the salary cap as well. Just a few thoughts.
If the Vikings return everyone from this year on D, I don't see any significant needs on that side of the ball.

A bottom 10 offense and a top 5 D and the majority of your needs are defense?

The vikings need two starting guards, a backup RB, a third WR and an upgrade at TE. They do that and they are SB contenders again.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

808vikingsfan wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:32 am
YikesVikes wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:01 pm 1) 2 Interior guards. One signed the other drafted. I want hole openers. I will settle for slower powerful guys. Im just tired of seeing our RB hit in the backfield or him running into a space the OG just got blown up into.
#2. sure do miss EJ Henderson. One of my favorites. That guy could just blow up a play.
I miss Ed McDaniel. He should be in the ring of honor.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

A better GM
A better head coach
A better OL
A better QB
The discipline to not self-destruct with penalties and mistakes...

... and more.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Mothman wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:28 pm A better GM
A better head coach
A better OL
A better QB

... and more.
:appl:
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

A better head coach
A better OL
A better QB

... and more.
I would add a better special teams coordinator as well.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

RB, G, LB, DT
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

Looking at the offense, we are pretty much set at all positions. Apart from both Guards, they are horrible. We could do with some big bruisers, that can give Cook/Murray, at least a chance.
The defense, again we are pretty much set everywhere if everyone stays on. We could do with another LB (possibly 2 if Barr walks).
Then depth at safety and DE. I'm not sure i'd look for much else.
Which makes me wonder, why are we struggling to win games with possibly the most complete team in the NFL?
So i'd like to add to the list:
New Coaches (apart from George Edwards)
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Why is RB mentioned more than once in here? We have arguably one of the better tandems in the league. Murray is a FA this year but it doesn’t necessarily mean we’re letting him walk
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:25 am Why is RB mentioned more than once in here? We have arguably one of the better tandems in the league. Murray is a FA this year but it doesn’t necessarily mean we’re letting him walk
My guess is Murray will walk. He will like want more than what the Vikings will give him. Personally I'd like to see him stay though. With that said, even without Murray I'm not sure RB is a need at all. We have Boone.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

A better head coach
A better OL
A better QB

... and more.
Is that all?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:24 am
A better head coach
A better OL
A better QB

... and more.
Is that all?
Yeah, just a few minor tweaks...
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

UKno1VIKING wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:14 am Looking at the offense, we are pretty much set at all positions. Apart from both Guards, they are horrible. We could do with some big bruisers, that can give Cook/Murray, at least a chance.
The defense, again we are pretty much set everywhere if everyone stays on. We could do with another LB (possibly 2 if Barr walks).
Then depth at safety and DE. I'm not sure i'd look for much else.
Which makes me wonder, why are we struggling to win games with possibly the most complete team in the NFL?
So i'd like to add to the list:
New Coaches (apart from George Edwards)
We are great at WR on offense, okay everywhere else. Average players will get you An average record.

Defensively we have great players at every position group, which is why it is a championship defense.