Crazy Idea but Lets trade up and draft Justin Herbert

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Crazy Idea but Lets trade up and draft Justin Herbert

Post by YikesVikes »

While I have championed that good Oline play is holding this team back, I would like to start preparing for the future. Kirk is on a 3 year deal with 2 years left. If we miss the playoffs, we should trade up and select Justin Herbert with the first pick.

Pros of making this decision:
*The bulk of the team is signed for the next 3-4 years and will be in their primes.
* Justin has all the prototypical measurements and skillsets you want in a QB but his late blossoming into a QB has caused some roughness to his game that coaching and time in the pros will fix. He has no hiccups that need correcting, just time learning.
* This goes well with the 2 years left on Kirks deal. He plays them out and we let him walk, chip or no chip.
* Justin steps into the starting role with 3 years left on his deal at about 8 million a year.
* The savings of approx 22 million a year, goes back into locking up our other new blossoming stars.
* The last year of his deal, the 22 million surplus is rolled over into the additional cap to resign him.
* He would be come a starter at age 23. Still younger than most of the NFL QB rookies.
* We can still address the oline in rounds 2-3.

Cons:
* Many want to address the oline in the first (and maybe 2nd and third)
* Might have to give up 2 firsts to get him

Despite the cons, I think it is time that we select a top notch QB prospect. We have never had one (maybe Culpepper). We have never really selected "the guy" in the draft. Imagine, if Herbert is the next Carson Wentz, or Mahomes but he is playing in purple. Would it be worth it for 10 years of QB brilliance? I think so. Cutting Sendejo, Rudolph (maybe reduced salary) and Remmers will save us 20 million. The production from those 3 can be replaced on the roster and in the draft.