Thoughts on Vikings versus Giants. MNF

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Thoughts on Vikings versus Giants. MNF

Post by IrishViking »

Well I can’t wait anymore; I am pretty pumped for this game on Monday. I am hopeful of a win given both our current play and history against the Giants bodes well for us. Eli is only 2-5 against the Vikings in full games and has thrown 3 times as many interceptions as TDS against us. For whatever reason, he really doesn’t play well against anyone in a Vikings uniform. The two full game wins came on the backs of stellar rushing performances, one over 200 yards. So for me, historically, we win this game if we keep the running game in check and force Eli to beat us.

The Key Matchups
The Giants have a poor Turnover margin of -6 versus our stellar +8. It has been talked about this week that those sorts of numbers regress to the average over the length of the season. I will not argue against that but with Eli, given his history, and our defense and the numbers as the stand, it not that hard to imagine us staying up there for one more week. The Giants so far have allowed 6 sacks. While by no means a large amount they do not have an all pro Offensive line. Eli is also far from mobile, however I expect the Giants to use quick passes to defend Eli and while we will not get 8 sacks again I would be surprised by fewer than 3.

On our side we are all familiar with our Oline struggles this year; “Blocking” for an anemic running attack, and having scary outings for the QB. The numbers back up the eye test for the running game. We dramatically improved our running game up to 2.4 yard per carry. Both the Titans and the Panthers have allowed lots of rushing yards in their other two games of the season . The titans giving up 130/per game versus 65 against us. The Panthers giving up 106/G versus only 58 to the Vikings. The Packers actually stand out as simply being a stout run defense team. Giving up only 49/G versus 30 to the Vikings. The Vikings running game has to do much better. The Giants have been fairly stout against the run in three games, only giving up 77/G. So while there may not be a chance for a “coming out” party the Viking should try to easily double their ground production, if they can’t do that there are deep problems for us going forward in the running game.

On the other hand, our Oline in pass protection though, is actually doing better than the eye test would indicate. Again, we all know our prolific struggles here, limiting this to what our current line is doing in this season though: We blanked the Titans in the first game, a unit that is averaging 2.5 sacks per game. Against the Packers and in Bradford’s first start we did poorly giving up 4 sacks. However it should be noted that the Packers are averaging 3.5/G in their other games. So even though we gave up 4 with a new starter, we were close to what other teams are averaging against the Pack. We gave up 2 sacks against the Panthers, a solid front, which is exactly what they are averaging for the year 2/G. Bradford has a passer rating above 95 in two games. The Giants are averaging 1.3/G so far this year, so this will be the easiest test, on paper, for our Oline so far. Look for the Oline to give Braford plenty of time and assist him in a near 300 yard game and 2+ TDs or it could spell trouble for the team. If the Giants come out and collect even a handful of sack it would be an indication that our Oline has played above ability for three games and we would be in serious trouble.

Other Vikings advantages.
One of the biggest things to stand out this year so far is the halftime adjustments. On both sides of the ball. On defense it has obviously been stellar, with most of our Sacks, takaways, and 3 and outs, coming in the second half. On offense it is less clear production wise, but our Oline plays stouter, and our pass attack improves after halftime as well (specifically in the last Panthers game). I expect this trend to continue and while halftime adjustments are a finicky thing, it’s safe to say that gone are the days of putting your fist through a wall wondering why we still are trying the same play after 55 minutes of game time.

Patterson is another thing that stands out as a general advantage. The refrain from earlier applies here, we all are well aware of the confusion around his use on the field. He has shown to be a good possession receiver/safety valve in high pressure situations. And his power as a returner is obvious. Despite whatever is going on in practice, the team seems committed to getting him on the field more. His impact as a Gunner cannot be overstated. He helped Locke boom a punt to the 2 yard line and prevent a Ginn return. Obviously, him being on the field more as a receiver would be a welcome sight but his production is a great benefit to the team.

Something surprising
The Vikings have yet to kick a field goal from inside the redzone and all of Bradford’s TD passes have been from inside of it this year. Bradford is 6/8 from inside the Redzone with 3 TDs and 0 INTs.

I expect the Vikings to win and hope to see some improvement in the run game and pass blocking and for Bradford to continue his good redzone play.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Thoughts on Vikings versus Giants. MNF

Post by autobon7 »

IrishViking wrote:Well I can’t wait anymore; I am pretty pumped for this game on Monday. I am hopeful of a win given both our current play and history against the Giants bodes well for us. Eli is only 2-5 against the Vikings in full games and has thrown 3 times as many interceptions as TDS against us. For whatever reason, he really doesn’t play well against anyone in a Vikings uniform. The two full game wins came on the backs of stellar rushing performances, one over 200 yards. So for me, historically, we win this game if we keep the running game in check and force Eli to beat us.

The Key Matchups
The Giants have a poor Turnover margin of -6 versus our stellar +8. It has been talked about this week that those sorts of numbers regress to the average over the length of the season. I will not argue against that but with Eli, given his history, and our defense and the numbers as the stand, it not that hard to imagine us staying up there for one more week. The Giants so far have allowed 6 sacks. While by no means a large amount they do not have an all pro Offensive line. Eli is also far from mobile, however I expect the Giants to use quick passes to defend Eli and while we will not get 8 sacks again I would be surprised by fewer than 3.

On our side we are all familiar with our Oline struggles this year; “Blocking” for an anemic running attack, and having scary outings for the QB. The numbers back up the eye test for the running game. We dramatically improved our running game up to 2.4 yard per carry. Both the Titans and the Panthers have allowed lots of rushing yards in their other two games of the season . The titans giving up 130/per game versus 65 against us. The Panthers giving up 106/G versus only 58 to the Vikings. The Packers actually stand out as simply being a stout run defense team. Giving up only 49/G versus 30 to the Vikings. The Vikings running game has to do much better. The Giants have been fairly stout against the run in three games, only giving up 77/G. So while there may not be a chance for a “coming out” party the Viking should try to easily double their ground production, if they can’t do that there are deep problems for us going forward in the running game.

On the other hand, our Oline in pass protection though, is actually doing better than the eye test would indicate. Again, we all know our prolific struggles here, limiting this to what our current line is doing in this season though: We blanked the Titans in the first game, a unit that is averaging 2.5 sacks per game. Against the Packers and in Bradford’s first start we did poorly giving up 4 sacks. However it should be noted that the Packers are averaging 3.5/G in their other games. So even though we gave up 4 with a new starter, we were close to what other teams are averaging against the Pack. We gave up 2 sacks against the Panthers, a solid front, which is exactly what they are averaging for the year 2/G. Bradford has a passer rating above 95 in two games. The Giants are averaging 1.3/G so far this year, so this will be the easiest test, on paper, for our Oline so far. Look for the Oline to give Braford plenty of time and assist him in a near 300 yard game and 2+ TDs or it could spell trouble for the team. If the Giants come out and collect even a handful of sack it would be an indication that our Oline has played above ability for three games and we would be in serious trouble.

Other Vikings advantages.
One of the biggest things to stand out this year so far is the halftime adjustments. On both sides of the ball. On defense it has obviously been stellar, with most of our Sacks, takaways, and 3 and outs, coming in the second half. On offense it is less clear production wise, but our Oline plays stouter, and our pass attack improves after halftime as well (specifically in the last Panthers game). I expect this trend to continue and while halftime adjustments are a finicky thing, it’s safe to say that gone are the days of putting your fist through a wall wondering why we still are trying the same play after 55 minutes of game time.

Patterson is another thing that stands out as a general advantage. The refrain from earlier applies here, we all are well aware of the confusion around his use on the field. He has shown to be a good possession receiver/safety valve in high pressure situations. And his power as a returner is obvious. Despite whatever is going on in practice, the team seems committed to getting him on the field more. His impact as a Gunner cannot be overstated. He helped Locke boom a punt to the 2 yard line and prevent a Ginn return. Obviously, him being on the field more as a receiver would be a welcome sight but his production is a great benefit to the team.

Something surprising
The Vikings have yet to kick a field goal from inside the redzone and all of Bradford’s TD passes have been from inside of it this year. Bradford is 6/8 from inside the Redzone with 3 TDs and 0 INTs.

I expect the Vikings to win and hope to see some improvement in the run game and pass blocking and for Bradford to continue his good redzone play.
Very solid post.....I'd like to add this will be a good measure of our DBs as they are going against an upper tier QB (don't mistake that for top tier) and very good receivers. Our defense is playing with so much confidence and momentum that I will be surprised if the Giants are able to move the ball effectively and consistently. I would like to see us start faster and put them away quicker.....maybe kind of a signature statement by the defense. It made me very nervous last week when we were down 10-0. History + momentum + playing at home should equal a victory......we'll see.

Oh and while I want a victory first and foremost....I would love to see cry baby OBJ throw some more tantrums as long as we can remain disciplined and composed. Don't want to see more stupid penalties like AT and Diggs had.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

I wouldnt say I am an old fashioned guy....there was a time I had a piercing or two....BUT, I am soo tired of watching some fool act like a Diva and dance on the field every time they score.....FIg Newton was begging for a beat down with his juvenile dance routines and this week we get to watch another spoiled man-child with the NYG WR.....enough already! do the job you are paid to do, try to act like you have scored once or twice before in your life, and be a pro....... :nono:
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

I'm guessing a Prince Albert? ^^
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

lol.....how many people here would even understand THAT......
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

chicagopurple wrote:lol.....how many people here would even understand THAT......
I have no idea, but it made me lol as I was posting it.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Vikings need to come out of the gate stronger. It's nice to have those 2nd half adjustments but you can only start off slow so many times before it bites you. Recall, even in the GB game where they came out pretty good, they missed on some early turnover opportunities.

Hopefully the run game shows up.

Hopefully Odell throws another tantrum and hits himself in the face with some object, again.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

S197 wrote:
Hopefully Odell throws another tantrum and hits himself in the face with some object, again.
:lol:

I caught the Giants-Redskins game since it was aired locally. The Giants looked solid. I think we're in for a tough game. Their offense has plenty of weapons, so I look forward to yet another test of our D.

Can we handle the spotlight? I think so. Can't wait to see this match up.

And a special prediction for Jim: CP84 is going to get 3 or 4 catches and make a significant offensive contribution this week! You heard it here first, folks. :beerock:
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

lol.....how many people here would even understand THAT......
more than you would think... :whistle:
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Nunin wrote:I'm guessing a Prince Albert? ^^
*snicker*
One well-placed hit on the football field and that could get VERY painful!

Oh, and good analysis re: the upcoming game, Irish Viking. :) Seriously! Well done.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote: :lol:

I caught the Giants-Redskins game since it was aired locally. The Giants looked solid. I think we're in for a tough game. Their offense has plenty of weapons, so I look forward to yet another test of our D.

Can we handle the spotlight? I think so. Can't wait to see this match up.

And a special prediction for Jim: CP84 is going to get 3 or 4 catches and make a significant offensive contribution this week! You heard it here first, folks. :beerock:

Make sure to post that in the latest CP thread (coming soon to a message board near you).

I agree that the Giants are likely to provide a serious test for the Vikes but I'm encouraged by their tendency to turn the ball over this year and by the Vikes tendency to take it away. That bodes well.

What worries me is the possibility that their offense catches the Vikes defense off guard early and they build a big lead. As Landon said above, Vikings need to come out of the gate stronger. Last year, there were a few games where they fell behind early and the game got away from them. I don't want to see that again!
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

chicagopurple wrote:lol.....how many people here would even understand THAT......
I did.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I think we got to pressure Eli to win this.. If Eli
gets a clean pocket I think they can out score us..
I really like the young wide out and OBJ was suspended
last year against us.. If Eli starts throwing rocket balls and
forcing his passes .. another Vikings win ..
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I think we win handidly, 34-10. Eli can make great throws, but he also makes a few WTF throws every game. I am expecting atleast 5 sacks and probably 2 interceptions possibly 4 TO total. Seems like the Giants are very fumble prone.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

The Giants are averaging 2.3 fumbles per game this year, that is pretty bad. In the games this year it seems like the defense has been especially aggressive on trying to rip the ball out, I can see a bunch of fumbles this game.... Now if we could only fall on them dammit!