AD Injury thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: AD Injury thread

Post by Nunin »

The silver lining for me is that the losses are all on offense. It would be insurmountable, IMO, had they not aquired Bradford. I was completely tickled that Spielman pulled that off. I know there has been much hand wringing here about the cost, but really, he is a bona-fide talent. A huge accurate arm and smart guy. He has spent most of his career behind crap O-lines with little to nothing to throw to. He alone makes up for the loss of TD and AD, because McKinnon and Asiata are not dung heapers. Will he survive behind the line? I had that question before Kalil was IRed.....we'll see week by week I imagine.
But assuming Rhodes can get healthy and the defense stays clear of whatever has cursed the offense, injury-wise, this team will have a favorable chance each week as long as Sam is healthy.
If it had been Smith and Kendricks lost for the season I'd be writing them off.
Carolina and Houston will be tough matchups...but after the bye things get a bit easier IMO.
So...silver linings: the defense is still badazz and getting better and the LT/RB situation has occured early enough for the replacements to be comfortable by the time december rolls around.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

ESPN is now reporting that AD has a torn LCL also...but he and the Vikings are denying that. WTF?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Raptorman wrote:All that, and yet I am optimistic. I know this. This team will fare better than if the Packers lost the same three players.
... and traded a first round pick for Sam Bradford? ;)
I still say 11-5, 12-4 and a playoff run.
I think it depends heavily on their ability to keep Bradford healthy and seriously improve the OL's performance, especially their run blocking. The Vikes were able to win in weeks 1 and 2 and their defense is good enough to keep them competitive most of the time but if they can't start generating a running game, this season is likely to unravel.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: ... and traded a first round pick for Sam Bradford? ;)
I think it depends heavily on their ability to keep Bradford healthy and seriously improve the OL's performance, especially their run blocking. The Vikes were able to win in weeks 1 and 2 and their defense is good enough to keep them competitive most of the time but if they can't start generating a running game, this season is likely to unravel.
I hate losing AD. I really, really do... I hope he comes back this season!! Was he officially put on IR?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I hate losing AD. I really, really do... I hope he comes back this season!! Was he officially put on IR?

I think so. If not, he will be... they'll want to use that roster spot while he's out.

I hate that he's hurt too. It sucks, all the more so after 2 games in which they couldn't give him much room to tun at all. :(
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Nunin wrote:ESPN is now reporting that AD has a torn LCL also...but he and the Vikings are denying that. WTF?

NFLN reporting mild LCL sprain.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

PacificNorseWest wrote:
NFLN reporting mild LCL sprain.
That sounds much more plausible.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:It sure is. And it has to be seriously difficult for Peterson, Kalil and Bridgewater.

Peterson's injury seems to get more complex every day. It started out as if he might be out a few weeks but we learn today he's undergoing surgery for a condition that might not ever really heal right. Given all that, it's possible he may retire. That's especially true if he'll never be the same again.
It's not impossible. I'd sure hate to see his career end that way but hopefully, he'll be back (and playing for the Vikings).
Kalil has to be questioning his own career to some extent. The guy has been hurt a lot and presently he's missing almost an entire season. If nothing else, the Vikings staff must be questioning retaining him after this year.
His future looks pretty uncertain. he'll be a free agent after this season and he's going to miss this season. That's not a good position to be in and with as many a= injuries as he's suffered, i wonder if he'll eventually just decide it's not worth the present and future pain.
Bridgewater's dreams of stepping up to the next level this year disappeared before the season even started. And now he sees the offense lose two more key players.
... and his future might be even more uncertain than that of Kalil and Peterson.

Who thought 2-0 would feel like such a drag?
beerfan
Backup

Post by beerfan »

We have had three serious injuries to starters on offense and you could still make the argument that our offense has improved.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

Mothman wrote:
I think so. If not, he will be... they'll want to use that roster spot while he's out.

I hate that he's hurt too. It sucks, all the more so after 2 games in which they couldn't give him much room to tun at all. :(
Not sure about you, but it really looked to me that the Vikes ground game was starting to get some room in that 3rd qtr right as AD was injured. I was thinking he was going to grind them down in the 4th.
Like the success in the passing game was helping the run. Makes the injury all the less palatable, but maybe the trend will be continued this week. I would like to think that at the very least, Clemmings will be more effective run blocking than Kalil with a bad hip. But who knows? They certainly have to be able to run to sustain drives. Carolin is a not a desirable opponent in ths sense. lol
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:
Who thought 2-0 would feel like such a drag?

This sums it up.

And yet, I do feel like this team can withstand the adversity.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Texas Vike wrote: And yet, I do feel like this team can withstand the adversity.
Yes, but can it withstand T.J. Clemmings? More specifically, can Sam Bradford?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

beerfan wrote:We have had three serious injuries to starters on offense and you could still make the argument that our offense has improved.

I agree to a point... I still think AD is a huge asset to the Vikings. But I agree, it is very possible that our offense has now improved.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I guess I don't get it. People say Zimmer is a good/smart head coach. He's so smart that he allows better players to ride the bench?

Can you really have it both ways?

To me the fact that Kalil was starting over Clemmings says a lot about their confidence in Clemmings' ability. McKinnon/Asiata are better than Peterson? I don't buy it for a second.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong but, and I'll say it again, Clemmings was a train wreck at RT last year (and he was getting significant help). He played RT in college, two training camps, offseasons, etc. He's had limited exposure in one offseason/season at LT.

This could get ugly. Fast.

Wright + 5th for Joe Thomas?

Boy, that "we have tons of depth now at offensive line" feels like 15 years ago. I didn't think there'd be any way we'd be worse than last season. Just goes to show you how the Vikings can continually surprise you.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

dead_poet wrote:I guess I don't get it. People say Zimmer is a good/smart head coach. He's so smart that he allows better players to ride the bench?

Can you really have it both ways?

To me the fact that Kalil was starting over Clemmings says a lot about their confidence in Clemmings' ability. McKinnon/Asiata are better than Peterson? I don't buy it for a second.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong but, and I'll say it again, Clemmings was a train wreck at RT last year (and he was getting significant help). He played RT in college, two training camps, offseasons, etc. He's had limited exposure in one offseason/season at LT.

This could get ugly. Fast.

Wright + 5th for Joe Thomas?

Boy, that "we have tons of depth now at offensive line" feels like 15 years ago. I didn't think there'd be any way we'd be worse than last season. Just goes to show you how the Vikings can continually surprise you.
He let Diggs ride the bench. I trust him. However, I would like to see what Patterson and Treadwell can do now that the Vikings don't have their biggest offensive threat.