Thoughts Week 2

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Packers have TRD

Post by IrishViking »

mansquatch wrote:That was probably the worst game I think AROG has played vs. the Vikings. Not taking anything away from our defense they were awesome. AROG just doesn't look "immortal" like they did in 2011-2014. They really depend on his deep passing game and it just isn't there right now.

GB might turn it around if they can find their offensive potency again, but if they continue to play like they did last night then they are not a Superbowl team.
Ill take it a step further. Almost all of his deep throws looked like hails. He wasnt passing to jordy, just to his area and hoping for a pi or for jordy to do all the work. It wad a weird weird game from him
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Lmao you win by 3 at home and somehow this is the conclusion you come to? XD

First off th Packers O line is better then yours, litterally noone woukd try to argue that Bahk, Taylor, Tretter/Linsley, Lang and Bulaga isnt far and away more talented then your patchwork O line.

Im not concerned, without that inviso call on Randall who knows what happens at the end there, we have a Championship winning coaching staff who won a SB with 15 starters on IR, and forced OT against the best secondary in the league without our top 4 WRs, week 15 is more then enough time to close a 3 point gap. (As if home field isn't already worth that or more)

Its pretty clear the O is still working towards getting back to where they were, but that will take a little bit, just take it one game at a time, im not concerned, the playoffs are foregone conclusion for GB, we don't do that basement thing, it just isn't something we are capable of.

You seem pretty critical of a SB winning staff, I'd hate to hear how you feel about Bud Grant. :whistle:
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Thoughts Week 2

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

mansquatch wrote:Awesome win, loved it. Don't have any major differences on what has already been said. OL, UGH...

The bad thing is with AP out the defensive game plans we've been seeing will now dramatically change. Stefon Diggs will likely become a focal point for opposing coordinators to take away. CAR and HOU are coming, two of the top defenses in the league. More tests...
It is concerning.

The good thing -- it's pretty obvious that our defense is on the verge of becoming elite. For the most part, they made Rodgers and the Packers look pretty bad yesterday. Only 263 yards allowed, 5 sacks and just 14 points, with 7 of the points coming as a direct result of a 41-yard PI penalty.

Our defense will keep us in every game. And yes, game plans will change without AP. But Bradford has had little time to develop any timing and chemistry. If it stood to reason that he couldn't possibly play that well with that little time, then it also stands to reason that he'll get even better, given more time.

Here's something else. You can tell from Sam's postgame presser that he loves this offense, and he loves this coaching staff. That's a big deal. It seems that Norv's concepts fit his skillset very well, and that's something that he probably has never had before. It also bodes well for us going forward.

Trying not to be too over the moon about Sam's performance, but man ... it's been a long time since somebody really seemed to have command of the Vikings offense from the quarterback position. I'm super jacked about the prospects for this team.

Now if the O-line can just keep him from getting killed.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I agree with all your points, my concern is whether a WR on our roster can take the pressure off of Diggs that is likely to come. It doesn't seem like Charles Johnson is that guy given his performances of late. The OL is also a big question mark, although I think they have upside.

On the OL, Kalil has a hip injury, missed 2 days of practice this week. If that can get better, so should he. He was solid in week 1, arguably had the best game of the group. The other thing is this group has no continuity playing together other than Berger and Kalil last season. It will take time for them to come together. I'm not sure if Kalil's injury will heal up in time, but the "gel" think should get better with time. They are going to be tested against probably the best defenses we'll face this season over the next few weeks.

It'll be interesting to see what they do against the Panthers this week.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

If teams switch to guarding Diggs more I think that will help our remaining RB's to really shine and we can still have an effective offense. I think we've still got the depth at RB to make teams pay for that strategy.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Cliff wrote:If teams switch to guarding Diggs more I think that will help our remaining RB's to really shine and we can still have an effective offense. I think we've still got the depth at RB to make teams pay for that strategy.
I do, too. McKinnon could start for a lot of teams, and Asiata runs hard, picks up the blitz well, and catches the ball out of the backfield. That's an underrated aspect of Norv's offense -- he loves using backs in the passing game, and AP's lack of skill in this area takes away a facet of Norv's concepts. McKinnon and Asiata can do things in the passing game that AP can't.

Plus, not every offense will be as dynamic as Green Bay's. We could see a lot of short fields on offense as a result of this defense, and Bradford showed last night that he can score from the red zone, which is something we've been SORELY missing.

To be perfectly honest, I think Carolina is going to have its hands full next week. Looks like Jonathan Stewart will be out, which will put even more pressure on Cam. You can bet that Zimmer and company will have a game plan to combat Cam's strengths. We might lose, given it's a road game, but we'll give them all they can handle. And who knows. Stefon Diggs -- A.K.A. Sam's favorite new toy -- seems to be an impossible cover man on man ... if another receiver steps up because of the inevitable double-teams on Diggs, we could pull off the upset.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: I do, too. McKinnon could start for a lot of teams, and Asiata runs hard, picks up the blitz well, and catches the ball out of the backfield. That's an underrated aspect of Norv's offense -- he loves using backs in the passing game, and AP's lack of skill in this area takes away a facet of Norv's concepts. McKinnon and Asiata can do things in the passing game that AP can't.

Plus, not every offense will be as dynamic as Green Bay's. We could see a lot of short fields on offense as a result of this defense, and Bradford showed last night that he can score from the red zone, which is something we've been SORELY missing.

To be perfectly honest, I think Carolina is going to have its hands full next week. Looks like Jonathan Stewart will be out, which will put even more pressure on Cam. You can bet that Zimmer and company will have a game plan to combat Cam's strengths. We might lose, given it's a road game, but we'll give them all they can handle. And who knows. Stefon Diggs -- A.K.A. Sam's favorite new toy -- seems to be an impossible cover man on man ... if another receiver steps up because of the inevitable double-teams on Diggs, we could pull off the upset.

Idk, The Packers did a decent job of abusing the spy coverage. And cam makes Rodgers look like Locke...
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I said if they play like they did last night they are not a SB team. Do you really think you are going to win the Lombardi Trophy if your QB averages a 70.7 passer rating and air mails 20% of his passes? Or if your QB puts the ball on the ground 3 times and throws three passes right to the opposing DB? In what incarnation of the NFL is that a championship performance?

It is very obvious from watching the game that GB is shaking rust off. Not sure why? Rogers and Nelson are obviously not fully on the same page yet. You might have some cute excuse for this, but we all saw the game and the performance is what it is.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Jordysghost wrote:Lmao you win by 3 at home and somehow this is the conclusion you come to? XD

First off th Packers O line is better then yours, litterally noone woukd try to argue that Bahk, Taylor, Tretter/Linsley, Lang and Bulaga isnt far and away more talented then your patchwork O line.

Im not concerned, without that inviso call on Randall who knows what happens at the end there, we have a Championship winning coaching staff who won a SB with 15 starters on IR, and forced OT against the best secondary in the league without our top 4 WRs, week 15 is more then enough time to close a 3 point gap. (As if home field isn't already that or more)

Its pretty clear the O is still working towards getting back to where they were, but that will take a little bit, just take it one game at a time, im not concerned, the playoffs are foregone conclusion for GB, we don't do that basement thing, it just isn't something we are capable of.

You seem pretty critical of a SB winning staff, I'd hate to hear how you feel about Bud Grant. :whistle:
Rodgers fumbled 3 times, lost one, threw three interceptable balls, had one picked off in the most Farveish way it was its almost scary and you aren't the least bit concerned. You guys were 4 lucky breaks from half a dozen turn overs and god know what point spread. Guzzle your Kool aid all you want. Rodgers had a horseshoe up his #### and it saved you guys from get browbeat.
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

That game should have been a blowout. So many fumbles and int that should have been. If you want to be consider a Superbowl contender. You have got to take advantage of those turn overs.

Jordysghost, even you know the score did not show how bad the Packers were beaten.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

IrishViking wrote: Rodgers fumbled 3 times, lost one, threw three interceptable balls, had one picked off in the most Farveish way it was its almost scary and you aren't the least bit concerned. You guys were 4 lucky breaks from half a dozen turn overs and god know what point spread. Guzzle your Kool aid all you want. Rodgers had a horseshoe up his #### and it saved you guys from get browbeat.
Why would I be worried? The last time an up and coming division rival beat us by 3 in a close primetime game, we ended up going on to win the SB. Rodgers had a terrible game and yet we were 3 points out, thats somewhat encouraging even.

Yea, we did a good job getting on those TOs, I wish the second ref didn't inexplicably overrule the ref who gave us a first down and mark us a yard back on that 4th and 1 with that terrible spot, id like to see how things would have played out.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

petev_sj wrote:That game should have been a blowout. So many fumbles and int that should have been. If you want to be consider a Superbowl contender. You have got to take advantage of those turn overs.

Jordysghost, even you know the score did not show how bad the Packers were beaten.
I disagree, turnovers mean nothing if you don't take advantage, without the phantom call on Randall that came 15 seconds after the play was over we would have had another drive even.

Tough loss for us, nice win for you, but a 3 point margin is nothing, im confident the Packers Championship winning staff will make the correct adjustments going forward.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Jordysghost wrote: I disagree, turnovers mean nothing if you don't take advantage, without the phantom call on Randall that came 15 seconds after the play was over we would have had another drive even.

Tough loss for us, nice win for you, but a 3 point margin is nothing, im confident the Packers Championship winning staff will make the correct adjustments going forward.
O.o you actually think those recovers and drops had nothing to do with luck and were all skill based and would fall that way 100% of the time based on your teams quality. That is some confidence, I am jealous tbh.
Last edited by IrishViking on Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Jordysghost wrote: I disagree, turnovers mean nothing if you don't take advantage, without the phantom call on Randall that came 15 seconds after the play was over we would have had another drive even.

I love how you keep referring to them as the "Packers championship staff." Leave it to Packers fans to live in the past, how many of your current staff were on that 2011 "championship" team?
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I'm merging the "Packer have TRD" thread into the "Week 2 thoughts" thread.