The Vikings might have the NFL's most complete roster

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

The Vikings might have the NFL's most complete roster

Post by dead_poet »

The #Vikings might have the NFL's most complete roster from top-to-bottom

From @WilliamsonNFL

http://www.todayspigskin.com/minnesota- ... utside-qb/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: The Vikings might have the NFL's most complete roster

Post by Mothman »

I guess I'll be the one to point out the article's title:

Vikings have NFL’s most complete roster outside QB. :whistle:

Seriously, Dead_Poet, what did you think of the line below?
Then there is the offensive line, which was a weakness in 2015. Minnesota attacked this problem in the offseason. And while Matt Kalil is still worrisome as the starting left tackle, the Vikings moved TJ Clemmings to left tackle, where he fits best.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I read this and my initial thought was that now that we are winning we are fashionable so the fair weather types will start over-hyping the squad. It is nice to see us getting some recognition, but overall this article struck me as not serious.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:I guess I'll be the one to point out the article's title:

I thought they didn't have a clue what they were talking about.

"He sucked on the right side. Moving him to the left, where he's never played before in his life, makes so much more sense. He's left-eye dominant."

I agreed about the part about Kalil being worrisome, though.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:I thought they didn't have a clue what they were talking about.

"He sucked on the right side. Moving him to the left, where he's never played before in his life, makes so much more sense. He's left-eye dominant."
:rofl:

You truly made me laugh with that one.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

It seems pretty ridiculous considering the state of the Offensive line to say the Vikings might have the most complete roster. They are failrly solid defensively, but they have a couple big gaps at S and LB. Unless Sparano can work a miracle with the line this team is not going to be "complete" this year, even if they can still be competitive.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

The article kind of sucked but the original point is interesting, I think we're up there, not many holes left on this team with some really really good talent where we're strong.

I don't really care to argue if we're the most complete yet but what I do find interesting is that an article was made asking the question given how far down this team was after 2010 by the all in Favre championship run.

Chalk it up to inexperienced owners, Childress, the TOA, etc but I think it speaks volumes to the recent job Spielman and the Wilfs have done over the past 3-4 years that we now have these kind of articles written about the team! :govikes:
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I think they have a better roster top to bottom than a lot of teams but still have weak spots. The oline is relying on castoffs from other teams to improve and I'm not sold at all on Teddy. The defense is pretty good and well coached.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

fiestavike wrote:It seems pretty ridiculous considering the state of the Offensive line to say the Vikings might have the most complete roster. They are failrly solid defensively, but they have a couple big gaps at S and LB. Unless Sparano can work a miracle with the line this team is not going to be "complete" this year, even if they can still be competitive.

Don't forget punter. They had the worst punter in the league last year.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

fiestavike wrote:It seems pretty ridiculous considering the state of the Offensive line to say the Vikings might have the most complete roster. They are failrly solid defensively, but they have a couple big gaps at S and LB. Unless Sparano can work a miracle with the line this team is not going to be "complete" this year, even if they can still be competitive.
I think this year they will be assembling our OL line for 2017. I think your going to see Kerin or Easton backing up Sully at center not Berger. Next year our line will be a lot younger but hopefully better.
We do have a pretty good roster. That's why they are going to have some tough cuts to make.
Will they only go with 2 QB's this year to add to the rooster some place else?
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

mansquatch wrote:I read this and my initial thought was that now that we are winning we are fashionable so the fair weather types will start over-hyping the squad. It is nice to see us getting some recognition, but overall this article struck me as not serious.
My thoughts exactly. Love the recognition but the article is jumping the gun.

There are still some questions about the OL, in my view, and it certainly isn't a given that the skill players around Bridgewater (including Treadwell, who hasn't played a down as a pro) are going to light it up. Let's see how they're used first.
germannorseman
Backup

Post by germannorseman »

I whole heartedly agree here. This article while encouraging is based on guesswork right now. This O line hasn't played together yet and we haven't seen how Teddy will be protected or how well he will,throw the ball to our new receiver. We haven't seen if his deep ball has improved or if he will be given more time. A lot of speculation going on here.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Just one thing to say about this kid. He played DE/DT his first three years in college. So last year was only his 3rd year as an offensive lineman. I hope he keeps learning and getting better.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Took the words right out of my mouth.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

A lot of people are worried about Teddy. But you look at his stats and they are actually pretty good.
I don't know if he will ever be a Tom Brady or a Drew Bres.
But I think Teddy is a good game manager who will get better with age. He is only 23...