The case for keeping Mike Wallace

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: The case for keeping Mike Wallace

Post by fiestavike »

jackal wrote:sounds like Wallace through Teddy under the bus after signing with Baltimore

not too surprised Wallace has a reputation of being a little bit T.O. at times
He was quitting on plays during the games last year, so I don't put much stock in his criticisms.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

He's such a piece of s###. What's Deandre Hopkins excuse? The guy plays with Brian Hoyer, TJ Yates and Brandon Weeden and puts up 111 / 1,521 / 11 stat line. Bottom line is, Wallace is a one dimensional WR that isn't good anymore. Good riddance you bum
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:He's such a piece of s###. What's Deandre Hopkins excuse? The guy plays with Brian Hoyer, TJ Yates and Brandon Weeden and puts up 111 / 1,521 / 11 stat line. Bottom line is, Wallace is a one dimensional WR that isn't good anymore. Good riddance you bum
Definitely a tasteless move. He knew he what type of offense he was coming into. Easy to see he is abit of a cry baby too blaming others for lack of production especially when Stefon Diggs put up far better numbers starting less games in his first season.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Bridge does have to work on that deep ball, but Wallace should stop running his mouth.

Kind of reminds me of when you guys signed Jennings, idk why it is nessecary to start taking shots at the organisation who employed you.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Jordysghost wrote:Bridge does have to work on that deep ball, but Wallace should stop running his mouth.

Kind of reminds me of when you guys signed Jennings, idk why it is nessecary to start taking shots at the organisation who employed you.
I'm not going to be too hard on Wallace for these comments. He didn't say anything particularly bad. He was heavily criticized for his lack of production in Minnesota so I imagine his pride is wounded. However, he was also the proverbial "good soldier" and good teammate while with the Vikings. He worked hard, didn't complain and his efforts prompted Zimmer to say "“I would like him back, I love the kid, I love his heart" after the season. He's also not wrong. He does need a good, proven quarterback that throws a good deep ball. Bridgewater is neither proven nor a good deep passer (as you said).

Wallace didn't name Bridgewater in his comments so while he was probably making a little jab at TB, he was also telling the truth about what kind of QB he needs to play with to thrive.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Mothman wrote: I'm not going to be too hard on Wallace for these comments. He didn't say anything particularly bad. He was heavily criticized for his lack of production in Minnesota so I imagine his pride is wounded. However, he was also the proverbial "good soldier" and good teammate while with the Vikings. He worked hard, didn't complain and his efforts prompted Zimmer to say "“I would like him back, I love the kid, I love his heart" after the season. He's also not wrong. He does need a good, proven quarterback that throws a good deep ball. Bridgewater is neither proven nor a good deep passer (as you said).

Wallace didn't name Bridgewater in his comments so while he was probably making a little jab at TB, he was also telling the truth about what kind of QB he needs to play with to thrive.
I agree with Jim here.....Wallace spoke the truth. Sometimes the truth hurts. I suspect this will be pretty much a "one and done" kinda situation. I'm sure that was the frustration from last season coming out. I will chalk this up as a everyone is better off kind of deal. I'm sure Wallace will have better numbers and will be happier and hopefully we will fix our leaky OL and TB can take the next step. Prolly best for all involved.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mike Wallace's deal with #Ravens is really 1 year, $5.75M with a $5.75M option for 2017. He got $4.5M to sign. A $1M bonus due next March.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I agree with Jim, and many of Wallace's comments were out of context. I am on my phone and don't want to type more than i need but what he said was not that bad.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I am just glad he is gone I think Wright will be more productive with those snaps.

or someone we draft early
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I agree with Jim, and many of Wallace's comments were out of context. I am on my phone and don't want to type more than i need but what he said was not that bad.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The context (link to the presser included): http://thevikingage.com/2016/03/15/mike ... a-vikings/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

The person writing the article said....

"Would it have killed Mike Wallace to give a little shout out to Teddy Bridgewater? Did he have to immediately rip into Teddy?

It’s not hard. Just say, “It didn’t work out in Minnesota but I still enjoyed my time there and Teddy Bridgewater is a great guy.” It doesn’t even matter if you really mean it!"

Sure he could have put it that way but that last line......It doesn’t even matter if you really mean it! So he wants Wallace to lie? I think folks are making too big a deal out of this. Wallace clearly didn't show his frustration in a negative way during the season....if any at all. Based on Zims statements about his kind of guy and wanting him back. Perhaps he just needed to get it all out....finally and vent for a second. No harm done as he spoke the truth. I'm sure TB is a great guy but that does not pay the bills....so to speak.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

... and here come the hypersensitive rebuttals from the Minnesota media:

[quote=http://www.startribune.com/in-ripping-t ... 372184871/]Souhan: In ripping Bridgewater, Wallace ignores his own flaws[/quote]

Rule #1 of Vikings Club: don't say or imply anything negative about Teddy Bear. :)

By the way, if anybody wants that image on a shirt or hoodie, it's available at the link below. I just found it while searching for "Vikings teddy bear" but I figure I should give credit where it's due:

http://www.redbubble.com/people/victori ... y-football
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

autobon7 wrote: I agree with Jim here.....Wallace spoke the truth. Sometimes the truth hurts. I suspect this will be pretty much a "one and done" kinda situation. I'm sure that was the frustration from last season coming out. I will chalk this up as a everyone is better off kind of deal. I'm sure Wallace will have better numbers and will be happier and hopefully we will fix our leaky OL and TB can take the next step. Prolly best for all involved.
I understand, I just think it was unnecessary.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Yeah, Flacco is that much better. This looks rather pedestrian
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

A good, rational article (as opposed to Souhan's pandering) about Wallace and his comments:

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... -minnesota
In the NFL echo chamber -- where controversial quotes can live for days, if not weeks -- Mike Wallace's remarks in his introductory news conference with the Baltimore Ravens will likely be interpreted as a direct shot at Minnesota Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater. After agreeing to a two-year, $11.5 million deal with the Ravens on Tuesday, Wallace shot down the idea that he'd return to Minnesota following his release last week, and seemingly pinned the reasons for his ambivalence toward the Vikings on Bridgewater.

"When this process started, I knew I wasn't going back to Minnesota. I was like, 'I need a good quarterback,'" Wallace said. "I need a quarterback who is proven and can get things done. [Ravens QB Joe] Flacco has always been that guy."

The gut reaction of Vikings fans will be to jump up and defend Bridgewater, and judging by the initial Twitter response on Tuesday night, the rebuke is already happening. But the opinion here is that we need a little extra context for what Wallace really meant.