Thoughts about the debacle

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Thoughts about the debacle

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Well, it was another San Fran type game. As bad as the refs were, especially on the drive just before halftime, the Vikings did themselves no favors.

Good:

Danielle Hunter looked very good.
That's about it.

Bad:
The defense was not recognizable today. Where was the blitzing? Where was the pressure? Where was the tackling?
The offense was a joke.
Teddy needs to throw the damn ball. He looked much better in the second half, PLAY LIKE THAT ALL THE TIME TEDDY.
Adrian Peterson... The fumblitis is back, and it is making him a liability more than an asset right now.
The refs called so many ticky tack fouls agains teh Vikings, but nothiing against GB. That "head butt" against Patterson was asinine, as was the roughing call on Joseph.

Ugly:
The whole game.
The Packers uniforms
Packer fans in general (no offense, Jordy).

Next week at ATL will be a big game with a lot of Wild Card implications.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Thoughts about the debacle

Post by DK Sweets »

This game hurts, but it reminds me of the text that Parcells sent Zimmer: First place is a dangerous place for a young team.

This team is talented enough to be dangerous but still very inexperienced. I think they just forced their hand into being a hungry unit the rest of the way, and if losing this game is what makes them hungry, then I'm all for it.

That doesn't mean I'm not still very disappointed in today's game, of course...
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

DK Sweets wrote:This game hurts, but it reminds me of the text that Parcells sent Zimmer: First place is a dangerous place for a young team.

This team is talented enough to be dangerous but still very inexperienced. I think they just forced their hand into being a hungry unit the rest of the way, and if losing this game is what makes them hungry, then I'm all for it.

That doesn't mean I'm not still very disappointed in today's game, of course...
I don't feel like I did after the 9ers game. I didn't know how the hell to process that one. the Vikings were competitive in this game, they just blew their chances and got a bit jobbed to boot. They still could have won if they executed down the stretch and I was disappointed they didnt' find a way to do that.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Thought the defense did alright, did Rodgers finish under 50%? The Cobb TD before the half was disappointing but Zimmer took the blame for that. They did well on 3rd down and kept GB to field goals for the most part, just on the field too long due to offensive ineptness.

They just got flat out best by a better team today. No excuses from me, just need to play better as a team.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Joseph was a beast today! 9 tackles
Hunter had a good game today with a few impressive plays.

TB quarterback rating today - 100.73
AR quarterback rating - 86.88
So Teddy had better stats than Rodgers .

Our total net yards - 342
GB total net yards - 320

The bad
AD fumble
Plenties was bad not entirely our fault.
Newman had a Sr. Moment on that one TD play.
Missed extra point.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Green Bay exposed all the aspects of this team that have worried me this season: run defense, inability to sustain and finish drives on offense, poor blocking... they even had a big return on special teams.

I'm frustrated with the Vikings coaching staff, the players... the whole team. They were defeated by a substantial margin even though they forced... what? 5 field goals? All of that with Rodgers and open receivers repeatedly failing to connect. This could easily have been a 30 point blowout win for the Packers. Considering what was on the line, it was a very disappointing performance by the Vikings.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

The thing that really confused me is how fat eddie lacy just cut through us like butter. This guy looks like he's in total slow motion and like... we couldn't stop him LOL. Oddly enough he's so fat and slow now it's like it's setting up his blocks better. "LOOK AT HOW PATIENT EDDIE LACY IS" when in reality he's just so fat and slow he can't actually hit the hole any faster.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

mondry wrote:The thing that really confused me is how fat eddie lacy just cut through us like butter. This guy looks like he's in total slow motion and like... we couldn't stop him LOL. Oddly enough he's so fat and slow now it's like it's setting up his blocks better. "LOOK AT HOW PATIENT EDDIE LACY IS" when in reality he's just so fat and slow he can't actually hit the hole any faster.
I dont find Lacy any fatter or slower then in previous years, its just, he has been hesitant and indecisive all year long pick a hole and hitting it also compounding that on his nagging ankle injury, Lacy showcased fantastic explosion through the hole in years previous.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:Green Bay exposed all the aspects of this team that have worried me this season: run defense, inability to sustain and finish drives on offense, poor blocking... they even had a big return on special teams.
put another way, run defense, blocking, blocking, and poor blocking. I agree by the way. That was frustrating.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
w_huisman
Transition Player

Post by w_huisman »

Our O-line was absolute trash today, every last lineman.

Teddy holds the ball too long, over and over again, exacerbating the problem.

Way way way too many penalties & mental mistakes.

1st & 10, handoff to AD. Over and over and over and over and over and over. They tackled AD for a loss on 1st & 10 for what seemed like an infinite number of times until finally deep in the third quarter we run a play action pass to Wright (or was it Diggs?). Wow, way to set that one up at the expense of about 8 other first downs.

Had a bad feeling about this one from the minute we received the opening kickoff instead of starting on defense.

6-3, and we move on to Atlanta.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

mondry wrote:The thing that really confused me is how fat eddie lacy just cut through us like butter. This guy looks like he's in total slow motion and like... we couldn't stop him LOL. Oddly enough he's so fat and slow now it's like it's setting up his blocks better. "LOOK AT HOW PATIENT EDDIE LACY IS" when in reality he's just so fat and slow he can't actually hit the hole any faster.
The Vikings played like their feet were stuck in the mud against the run game. I expect them to be duly shamed this week.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: put another way, run defense, blocking, blocking, and poor blocking. I agree by the way. That was frustrating.
It was more than just blocking but yes, blocking was a huge part of the problem.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Why do they always play so poorly in nationally televised games? It's so frustrating as an out of state fan to only get to see them once in a blue moon, and then they play like that.

The old familiar feeling was back:
HORRENDOUS OL play. Teddy had zero time to set up and look down field.

We got absolutely jobbed on that last drive of the half, which was a huge swing in momentum.

I hate GB. I hate how they are the league darlings and I hate their entitlement. It drips from their pores. It reeks.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Texas Vike wrote:Why do they always play so poorly in nationally televised games? It's so frustrating as an out of state fan to only get to see them once in a blue moon, and then they play like that.

The old familiar feeling was back:
HORRENDOUS OL play. Teddy had zero time to set up and look down field.

We got absolutely jobbed on that last drive of the half, which was a huge swing in momentum.

I hate GB. I hate how they are the league darlings and I hate their entitlement. It drips from their pores. It reeks.
Ditto my friend. I have to wonder if my hatred for Aaron Rodgers and GB is so intense that I should focus on more edifying things. :confused:
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

fiestavike wrote: Ditto my friend. I have to wonder if my hatred for Aaron Rodgers and GB is so intense that I should focus on more edifying things. :confused:

Sometimes it feels like a good thing to NOT be in the local viewing area... because it forces me to do precisely that: find something more edifying to do with my Sundays. We need to draft OL and possibly hire a new OL coach. That was a brutal display of incompetence.