Thoughts about the debacle

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Thoughts about the debacle

Post by mosscarter »

los perros it isn't about their ability to get deep, teddy can't get them the ball at all. we aren't even talking on occasion, we are talking at all. period. he had one great deep throw this entire year and he nearly overthrew it to diggs. diggs made one heck of a catch on an overthrown ball. this guy cannot throw the ball downfield how much more obvious can it get? what game did you guys watch honestly? a great chunk of his yards came in garbage time and that doesn't mean anything, and even then he still didn't throw for another td.
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

Norv T, what can you say? He's been riding cowboys glory since the mid-90s, what's new?!
TB, too much dome/loft on the deep ball, not enough zip/bullet. Why can't the qb coach see that, or do they, but can't "coach" him out of it? Being under siege too often doesn't help.
The Vikes were bound to lose after so many wins, and gb was bound to win after so many loses. It just blows that this was the game each went the other way...

...wisdom
...spirits in the wind and the trees
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

So before the game goodell stated that he wants to look into breaking the crews up do to basically bad officiating, not in those words exactly. And he was in attendance at todays game. Go figure
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14194 ... cid=espnfb
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Boon wrote:So before the game goodell stated that he wants to look into breaking the crews up do to basically bad officiating, not in those words exactly. And he was in attendance at todays game. Go figure
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14194 ... cid=espnfb
Oh yea he wants to break up the crews to induce bad officiating, for sure.

:roll:
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Jordysghost wrote: Oh yea he wants to break up the crews to induce bad officiating, for sure.

:roll:
To induce? I said due to, not induce. He used the politi-speech phrase "consistency". To get more consistency and THEN went on to say some crews call more flags than others. And I would be willing to bet that you can cross reference some crews to certain venues/teams and see even more of a pattern, though I don't have that kind of data.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Boon wrote: To induce? I said due to, not induce. He used the politi-speech phrase "consistency". To get more consistency and THEN went on to say some crews call more flags than others. And I would be willing to bet that you can cross reference some crews to certain venues/teams and see even more of a pattern, though I don't have that kind of data.
Some crews do call more flags then others, just as certain crews are prone to calling certain penalties more then other crews, I've never had any suspicion of particular crews having some sort of alignment to particular teams or venues though. This is also the first I have ever heard such a thing suggested.

And yea, sorry for misunderstanding you, you used the incorrect spelling of 'due' and it tripped me up.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Boon wrote:
Then to turn around and not call a blatant face mask on teddy when he got hurt after calling one when Rodgers flopped after being tapped by joseph? That was an extremely crucial no-call in that situation. It's not always about numbers and yards when it comes to flags. It comes down to the situation. What down, where on the field.
For those of you who think it was a blatant face mask, sorry but it wasn't. In order for it to be a penalty, the defender must twist/turn/pull the face mask, which didn't happen. Yes, the Packer player did come in contact with Teddy's face mask, but he didn't twist/turn/pull it. This is from the rule book (note the example):

GRASPING FACEMASK
Article 5
No player shall twist, turn, or pull the facemask of an opponent in any direction.

Penalty: For twisting, turning, or pulling the mask: Loss of 15 yards. A personal foul. The player may
be disqualified if the action is judged by the official (s) to be of a flagrant nature.
A.R. 12.12
Third-and-10 on A30. Runner A1 runs to the A33, where he is tackled by B1, who incidentally grasps A1’s facemask on the tackle, but it is not a twist, turn, or pull.
Ruling: A’s ball, fourth-and-seven, on A33. No Foul

Also for those complaining about Teddy getting hit in the head and no call, Teddy was a runner at that point and once a qb becomes a runner, he no longer afforded the protection as he is in the pocket as a passer.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

The NFL in general is by far the deadliest of the major sports when it comes to officiating as far as penalties go. That is a personal opinion of course and you can compare the end of NBA games, etc but that's neither here nor there. The problem as I see it can be narrowed down to two issues.

1.) The refs need to be younger. Get some kind of training section going to break new refs in at a younger age. Better overall conditioning, mental health and vision generally from someone at age 25 vs 55. Someone who is younger is also starting out their "grown up" life and generally tend to be hungrier to do a better job vs someone who is older and a lot saltier/ just doesn't care. The latter is speculation/personal belief from what I've seen in my 39 years on earth, the earlier statement is usually the case.

2.) The NFL is in on it all. Only in severe cases like the 2009 NFCCG does the nfl react to horrible officiating. This season alone has put them in the spotlight though. So many blown calls such as the one in last weeks ravens/jags game, that can literally destroy a season, have gone un-reprimanded. They don't do anything about it. And it's no secret that the nfl has it's favorite franchises that get the benefit of the calls on a frequent basis. In my opinion there are 5. Dallas, Pittsburg, New England, Green Bay and Denver. And it's not just whining. You can just watch the games and notice, it's that obvious.

On another note, did anyone notice how the refs gave the bengals an interception on a false start in tonight's game? I thought false starts were dead balls and play was stopped?
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Boon wrote:The NFL in general is by far the deadliest of the major sports when it comes to officiating as far as penalties go. That is a personal opinion of course and you can compare the end of NBA games, etc but that's neither here nor there. The problem as I see it can be narrowed down to two issues.

1.) The refs need to be younger. Get some kind of training section going to break new refs in at a younger age. Better overall conditioning, mental health and vision generally from someone at age 25 vs 55. Someone who is younger is also starting out their "grown up" life and generally tend to be hungrier to do a better job vs someone who is older and a lot saltier/ just doesn't care. The latter is speculation/personal belief from what I've seen in my 39 years on earth, the earlier statement is usually the case.

2.) The NFL is in on it all. Only in severe cases like the 2009 NFCCG does the nfl react to horrible officiating. This season alone has put them in the spotlight though. So many blown calls such as the one in last weeks ravens/jags game, that can literally destroy a season, have gone un-reprimanded. They don't do anything about it. And it's no secret that the nfl has it's favorite franchises that get the benefit of the calls on a frequent basis. In my opinion there are 5. Dallas, Pittsburg, New England, Green Bay and Denver. And it's not just whining. You can just watch the games and notice, it's that obvious.

On another note, did anyone notice how the refs gave the bengals an interception on a false start in tonight's game? I thought false starts were dead balls and play was stopped?
That second point is so beyond subjective I don't even know what to say. Your essentially saying that the successful teams in the league all benefit from slanted officiating.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Purple Reign wrote: For those of you who think it was a blatant face mask, sorry but it wasn't. In order for it to be a penalty, the defender must twist/turn/pull the face mask, which didn't happen. Yes, the Packer player did come in contact with Teddy's face mask, but he didn't twist/turn/pull it. This is from the rule book (note the example):

GRASPING FACEMASK
Article 5
No player shall twist, turn, or pull the facemask of an opponent in any direction.

Penalty: For twisting, turning, or pulling the mask: Loss of 15 yards. A personal foul. The player may
be disqualified if the action is judged by the official (s) to be of a flagrant nature.
A.R. 12.12
Third-and-10 on A30. Runner A1 runs to the A33, where he is tackled by B1, who incidentally grasps A1’s facemask on the tackle, but it is not a twist, turn, or pull.
Ruling: A’s ball, fourth-and-seven, on A33. No Foul

Also for those complaining about Teddy getting hit in the head and no call, Teddy was a runner at that point and once a qb becomes a runner, he no longer afforded the protection as he is in the pocket as a passer.
That "was a runner" doesn't apply to anyone but brady or Rodgers, or brees, or any other number of qb's . Happens to cam all the time. I don't get how they considered him to be a runner when it was counted as a sack and he was still in the pocket going slightly forward. Sack in the pocket, considered a runner? Seriously, you're buying this?
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Jordysghost wrote: That second point is so beyond subjective I don't even know what to say. Your essentially saying that the successful teams in the league all benefit from slanted officiating.
Yeah, it's subjective. Just an opinion. But the fact there is after the 2009 NFCCG, Mike Pereira admitted to the bad calls, promptly retired, and the entire overtime system was changed by the start of the 2010 season. That my friend is not subjective.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Boon wrote: That "was a runner" doesn't apply to anyone but brady or Rodgers, or brees, or any other number of qb's . Happens to cam all the time. I don't get how they considered him to be a runner when it was counted as a sack and he was still in the pocket going slightly forward. Sack in the pocket, considered a runner? Seriously, you're buying this?
Counting it as a sack was a mistake, if your talking about the play i think you are, Bridgewater most definitely had made himself a fair game ball carrier and runner at that point.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Boon wrote: Yeah, it's subjective. Just an opinion. But the fact there is after the 2009 NFCCG, Mike Pereira admitted to the bad calls, promptly retired, and the entire overtime system was changed by the start of the 2010 season. That my friend is not subjective.
Maybe im missing your point, but, so? The Fail mary caused the immediate rehiring of the regular refs/officials, I dont think that proves anything about referential bias in anyones favor, however.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

So are the Carolina Panthers one of the NFL's favorite teams?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14200 ... top-bottom
After the Minnesota Vikings lost to the Green Bay Packers for the 10th time in 12 games on Sunday and gave back their one-game NFC North lead with a 30-13 loss at TCF Bank Stadium, running back Adrian Peterson said the Vikings need to take a comprehensive look at what they can do better.

"I think it's from the top to the bottom," Peterson said. "It's from the coaches on both sides and the players, as well. No matter what position we were in, we had calls, and we didn't execute on a lot of plays. It came back to hurt us. But it's the coaches' job to put us in the best position, as well."

Peterson later said he wasn't referring to a specific element of the Vikings' game plan but felt like a loss such as Sunday's warranted a thorough review of what everyone could have done better.
Peterson had one of his worst days of the season, with 13 carries for 45 yards. Only seven of those carries were after the first quarter, when Peterson posted 30 yards on six attempts.