Who's the better QB of the 2014 class. Bridgewater or Carr?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Who's the better QB of the 2014 class. Bridgewater or Ca

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:No problem. I'd add to that, that I believe he is playing injured. I don't say that to excuse any of his shortcomings, but more to emphasize his character and leadership.[/quote

He's listed on the injury report this week with a shoulder injury but I don't know when he sustained it.
Either is possible but as long as they conduct themselves well, does it really matter?
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

As it stands right now I have to side with Carr. Really kinda hard to say as the only way to know for sure is to flip them.....so we will never know how they would do with opposite teams.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

autobon7 wrote:As it stands right now I have to side with Carr. Really kinda hard to say as the only way to know for sure is to flip them.....so we will never know how they would do with opposite teams.
And really what difference does it actually make? Other than some naysayers, I think TB is the decided choice (especially for Zim) and Carr is a great fit for the Raiders. Head to head competition, which does mean little, TB 1 Carr 0.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Purple bruise wrote: I think TB is the decided choice (especially for Zim) and Carr is a great fit for the Raiders. Head to head competition, which does mean little, TB 1 Carr 0.
I feel this way as well. Bridgewater is the right QB for what the Vikings are doing right now. Does he need to improve? You bet. But he still possesses the right skills for the Vikings to be currently winning. I expect to see Teddy reach higher levels as he plays.

Carr is one heck of a QB. The Raiders are better off with him than nearly anyone else at this point, given how they play offense.

I don't want to try to predict the future for Bridgewater or Carr. Anything can happen in the NFL, including all kinds of intangibles.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote: I feel this way as well. Bridgewater is the right QB for what the Vikings are doing right now. Does he need to improve? You bet. But he still possesses the right skills for the Vikings to be currently winning. I expect to see Teddy reach higher levels as he plays.

Carr is one heck of a QB. The Raiders are better off with him than nearly anyone else at this point, given how they play offense.
I wonder though, how much Carr's presence and skills have influenced the way the Raiders play offense and I wonder the same thing about Bridgewater and the Vikings. In other words, it's one of those "chicken and the egg" questions. To what extent are the team's strategies being dictated by the skills and limitations of their quarterbacks? Did they specifically draft these QBs to play these styles or are they playing these styles because they have these QBs?

I hope that makes sense!

PS.) It's possible the answer is "a little of both".
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: I wonder though, how much Carr's presence and skills have influenced the way the Raiders play offense and I wonder the same thing about Bridgewater and the Vikings. In other words, it's one of those "chicken and the egg" questions. To what extent are the team's strategies being dictated by the skills and limitations of their quarterbacks? Did they specifically draft these QBs to play these styles or are they playing these styles because they have these QBs?

I hope that makes sense!

That usually is the answer, and I think it applies in this case too. :v):
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: I wonder though, how much Carr's presence and skills have influenced the way the Raiders play offense and I wonder the same thing about Bridgewater and the Vikings. In other words, it's one of those "chicken and the egg" questions. To what extent are the team's strategies being dictated by the skills and limitations of their quarterbacks? Did they specifically draft these QBs to play these styles or are they playing these styles because they have these QBs?

I hope that makes sense!

That has to be the answer unless the coaches completely ignore the strengths and weaknesses of the quarterback.

Regarding the Vikings, they would probably be foolish to play Bridgewater as a gunslinger. That's simply not his game, at least not from what I've seen from him this season. Plus the coaches have to take in everything else about the offense, such as the OL (which doesn't pass block all that well) and a superstar RB that really does need to be featured.

I'll go one step further and say there are things the Vikings can possibly do to escalate Teddy's current game. Just my two cents but they could go with shorter developing pass routes, which may help Bridgewater get the ball out quicker. And they could play Patterson more often. There are other things but I think those two would be a great start.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

I hope that makes sense!

IMO Carr, playing behind the Vikes o-line, would be on IR by now. TB is one very cool, tough guy who's mobility is well beyond Carr's. Again, I am very pleased with TB and Carr is a great fit for the Raider's offense.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

I hope that makes sense!

That's an interesting question since our most recent offensive coordinator is the OC of the Raiders. Most of the board here was not a fan of Bill Musgrave if I remember correctly. One thing we can probably gather, though, is Derek Carr is performing way better in Bill Musgrave's system than Christian Ponder ever did.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

tsonn you pretty much nailed it on the head. carr has 21 td's under musgrave (who we believed was the worst coordinator ever) when he was here. and you also mentioned ponder and with each passing week teddy reminds me of him more and more. he has NO deep ball whatsoever and if you watched the oakland game closely you can begin seeing his happy feet starting to develop. someone had the stat that he held onto the ball for something like 4 seconds, which was among the highest in the league. and yet people keep mentioning his winning record and ignore the truth. peterson is carrying teddy just like he carried ponder.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

As others have pointed out, Carr has weapons in Oakland (like Cooper and Crabtree) unlike any Ponder or Bridgewater have had at the pro level. That makes a big difference, as does Carr's arm strength. Those factors give Musgrave tools in the passing game he simply didn't have in Minnesota and they give Carr an advantage too.

That said, he's a natural, with a better arm than either Bridgewater or Ponder.
randomghost11
Rookie

Post by randomghost11 »

Raptorman wrote:Why do I get the feeling that Jonathan Keller and Randomghost11 are the same person? Or are they just Raider fans that didn't get approved before the game?
Why do you say that? But since im new I could give my introduction. I'm actually a Louisville Cardinal fan that bandwagoned (You gotta get a team somehow) the vikings on draft day. Just started out as a vikings fan because of Teddy but ive come to love the rest of team just as much. I made my account a year ago but finally decided to post so theres my bio.
jonathan keller
Waterboy

Post by jonathan keller »

Raptorman wrote:Why do I get the feeling that Jonathan Keller and Randomghost11 are the same person? Or are they just Raider fans that didn't get approved before the game?

I find it HILARIOUS that just because i'm asking a simple question out of curiousity, ya'll think i'm trolling or "A raider fan" or whatever. Can A guy just ask a simple question around here?.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

jonathan keller wrote:
I find it HILARIOUS that just because i'm asking a simple question out of curiousity, ya'll think i'm trolling or "A raider fan" or whatever. Can A guy just ask a simple question around here?.

Yes.

It might be a good idea for you to defuse this sort of speculation by telling people a little something about yourself, as randomghost11 did above. However, you're under no obligation to do so. It doesn't matter if you're a fan of the Vikings or another team. All fans are welcome here as long as they follow the rules and conduct themselves well.

:welcome to both you and randomghost11.

Now let's get back to discussing the subject of the thread.
TeddyBaller
Starter

Post by TeddyBaller »

Mothman wrote:As others have pointed out, Carr has weapons in Oakland (like Cooper and Crabtree) unlike any Ponder or Bridgewater have had at the pro level. That makes a big difference, as does Carr's arm strength. Those factors give Musgrave tools in the passing game he simply didn't have in Minnesota and they give Carr an advantage too.

That said, he's a natural, with a better arm than either Bridgewater or Ponder.

who cares about carr dude, he'll never win anything with the raiders