Week 1 predictions: Vikings vs. 49ers

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Week 1 predictions: Vikings vs. 49ers

Post by dead_poet »

Norv Zimmer wrote:I don't think they matter at all....
The Vikings have lost 4 super bowls, because we have never won one does that mean that Stat will work against us in winning one in the future?
I don't think so, again it's in the past, you can't change that but you don't have to let it affect your future.
I'm not saying that what has happened in the past will always happen. But, you know, trends are a thing. They exist. Will the Seahawks and Patriots always win at home? No, but it's a trend.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Raptorman wrote: I speak several different versions of English. Midwestern, New Jersey, Virginia and South Florida.
:lol:
I had a group of expat friends when I lived abroad from all over. 2 Scots, one highlander one lowlander, 2 from different parts of England, an Aussie, a Kiwi, a Canadian, and Americans from both coasts, the midwest, the south, etc.. The Tower of Babel is in effect even within one language!

I sometimes forget my context--I'll use "y'all" when I'm back home in Minny, "you guys" here in TX, or "verisimilitude" on a sports forum... :o Brain farts.
Raptorman wrote: I am not worried about the offense. I want to see the defense hold the Niners to 14 points or less. Do, that and they have an 85% chance of winning.
I am only worried about the running game. I know AD is chomping at the bit, so I'd hate for the blocking to be so bad that it only frustrates him and keeps him from channelling all the aggression in a way that helps the team.

I look forward to seeing how our revamped LB crew can do against Kaep. I hope to see our speed in Barr and Kendricks running him down.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

dead_poet wrote: I'm not saying that what has happened in the past will always happen. But, you know, trends are a thing. They exist. Will the Seahawks and Patriots always win at home? No, but it's a trend.
I would also like to point out that a trend of 10-15 instances within the past 5 years is more significant than 4 instances from 40 years ago, so it's not like that Super Bowl example was the best way to go with this.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Also, I crunched the numbers and (including playoffs) we are 2-12 in primetime games since the beginning of 2010 (I included the game with Joe Webb at QB on Tuesday night after the dome collapsed). I don't have much to add to that, but people have been bringing up our record and I wanted to put a number to that.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I think this will be a low scoring and overall frustrating game for both sides. Mostly because it's the 1st game and personnel issues so I expect a degree of sloppiness (ball security, false starts, clock management, etc.). The first play for the Vikings offense will be play action to Rudolph. The first drive will be promising, most likely leading to a score. Thereafter, I think things will slow down and the phrase "run, run, pass, punt" will be uttered at least a few times on this forum. Kaepernick will pick up a few 3rd and longs with his legs but will generally be inconsistent/inaccurate. Surprisingly, special teams will be seen as a strength in the post-game analysis with both Locke and Walsh performing fine.

The Vikings will win but it won't be one of those "feel good" wins. Post-game fans will have the following questions: 1) Why is Norv's offense not as vertical as promised. 2) Where's the pass rush? and 3) The overall gameplan will be too conservative.

Players that will have a good game: Floyd, Hodges, C. Johnson, Smith
Players who will have a poor showing: Barr, Wallace, Newman, Wright

Hopefully I'm wrong and AD rushes for 200 yards, Teddy throws bombs to Wallace all night, and our defense is stifling. If I'm right though, I'm charging $2.99/minute next week.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Key Player Matchup: Everson Griffen vs. San Fransisco 49ers

http://vikingsterritory.com/2015/analys ... isco-49ers
When you tune in Monday night, pay close attention to Everson Griffen. Specifically, focus on these points:

His discipline on roll-outs and play action passes. Will he maintain contain and pressure Kaepernick to tuck and run?
His pass rush on third downs, a down on which he recorded five sacks last season, per Pro Football Focus.
His play against the run — I don’t worry about Griffen rushing Kaepernick, but the 49ers will likely try to run to the left behind Joe Staley and Alex Boone.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

49ers win in a walk or if we win, it's a dog fight. I just simply am disgusted at the chance of it being a field goal fest with the way Walsh had been.

Prime time road game against a mobile QB=Our kryptonite.

It'll be 27 or more 17 49ers or we win by a touchdown, tops.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

DK Sweets wrote:I would also like to point out that a trend of 10-15 instances within the past 5 years is more significant than 4 instances from 40 years ago, so it's not like that Super Bowl example was the best way to go with this.
Let's go with the Super Bowl example. NO team has ever lost 5 without winning one. A good trend. :thumbsup:
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

I'm glad we have bridgewater. kaepernick has declined as a passer. he never has shown improvement in the pocket. Vikings 27 niners 24
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

I'm changing my prediction. I think the Vikings run away with this one. There will be some protection lapses but overall, Teddy will have enough time to find his targets. Peterson and the defense will be the difference in this game. I still think Patterson will have a big impact as well.

Vikings win 38-19

True fact: Zimmer is undefeated with Peterson in the backfield. :D
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I think the late west coast start works against the Vikes in this game but I'm picking them to win 23-20 anyway. I won't be surprised if one of their TDs is a defensive or special teams TD. I have a feeling the Vikes offense will struggle to finish drives with TDs and Walsh will continue his battle for consistency. Both teams have OL issues but I expect a solid opener from the Vikings defense and that will make a big difference. I'm also predicting the Vikes will win the turnover battle, which is always big.

This one may go down to the wire!
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

My goodness. I have always liked to look through the opposing teams forums before a game. I have been doing it for years now. I have to say that the 49ers have some of the loudest most angry homer fans I have ever witnessed. :shock: I fully expect this comment to be picked up for fuel for their barn fire of loathing.

From what I can see they expect the follow to happen:

We wont be able to contain Kap; Zimmer will have no game plan for him. We have no athletes on defense capable of containing him (to be fair the only two I would pick to compete with him in that category would be Barr and Smith) and we wont be able to get pressure with our D line.

They appear have a modicum of respect for our secondary... which is shocking to read as a vikings fan :lol:

They expect a multiple turn over game from Bridgewater and the only WRs they mention are Patterson and Wallace. Which seems odd, I kinda thought the NFL had an eye on Johnson after last season but maybe that's juts the NFCN? They also never mention or talk about Jarius Wright.

They expect Bowden to absolutely dominate Peterson and Peterson to have lost a step and have rust to shake off (possibly fair concerns).

They expect to get pressure on Bridgewater all game from their Dline. (to be fair I know only a little about the 'Niners offense but next to nothing about their D ((All the ones I know have retired early or left :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:) so its possible they could with our questionable Oline).

Personally I expect this to be a wider score margin but the actual game being closer on the field then the score would indicate and for once my Downer Viking spirit seems to think that it is the 'Niner's fans in for a rude awakening.

I think Bridgewater will come out and be efficient. He seems to be modeling his play after Manning, trying to beat the opposing teams defensive in film study, and having some success. Obviously this year will be the biggest test of it so far but from what I have seen I expect that he will succeed to some degree rather than fail. I'll expect 1 interception out of him and 1 TD but a solid amount of receiving yards, I'll say 220ish. Most of those I think will be YAC from Wright and Johnson with Bridgewater hitting them in stride with space. I don't expect Wallace to have much of an impact beyond drawing attention away from those two at first.

I think our Defense will not dominate Kap and Co. but will do a better job containing them then most imagine. Barr should be a force on Blitz packages and he has the speed to help cover the lower middle of the field if needed. Which will be a nice change since that has typically been a giant weak spot for us (TE crossing routes are the bane of my existence :steamed: ) All that said I expect Kap to break contain and extend some drives with his legs but nothing back breaking.

I think the biggest impact will be with Peterson. I think he will be pushing hard this game more than any other. It'll lead to some TFL but I think more than lose a step in game it'll be more his long term stamina that will be impacted by the year off and age. I expect his lines to look something like

5 yds, -2 yds, -1yds, 4yds, 13yds, -3yds, 9yds, 3yds, 2yds and then slowly climb from there.

More importantly I think the 'Niner's Defense will be much weaker than most imagine in the middle. Their LB core is much depleted yes they could have good replacements but you don't lose Willis and Borland (it was early but he had a great rookie season) and come back as strong. I think their LB core will be their weakest area despite having probably their biggest playmaker on D. Yes Bowman is a great player but he cant be everywhere every play. I am sure he will be all over the field to start but eventually he will get gased, everyone does. With some misdirection, pitches, screens, etc. It wouldn't be too hard to remove Bowman from the attack point on quite a few plays. I expect him to be the guy in the box that the Vikings game plan to take out of the plays.

Overall I expect a quick agile Vikings Offense and and solid Defense that is more aggressive then we are used to up here but also doesn't give up the back breaker (like we are also used to).
I think it'll be something like 27-14 Vikings, but like I said the game play itself would indicate a much closer score.
Wild Bill
Transition Player

Post by Wild Bill »

DK Sweets wrote:I like big words!
vermiss a what????? I
sn't that another way to say purple?????
Wild Bill
"Sometimes We Live No Particular Way But Our Own"...Hunter,Garcia
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Vikings 27, 49ers 13

:smilevike: :smilevike:
EWright21
Waterboy

Post by EWright21 »

I think it will be very close and go down to the last drive. At least I hope so.