Vikings release Greg Jennings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Demi
Commissioner

Re: Vikings release Greg Jennings

Post by Demi »

chicagopurple wrote:at the very least, the Vikes are showing that WR is an important part of their off-season planning. They seem to have realized that you cannot compensate for a lack of WR by carrying a large number of TE's. One relatively highly drafted WR and a couple of high choices for OL is what we need to see this year in order to really Give Teddy a fair chance at shining!!
Finally they get with the times. This flood the field with tight ends and full backs 90s big ten offense garbage lasted too long the way it was. The biggest thing this team needed was players to fit the system. Zimmer and Norv's. And now they're starting to get it. If that means cutting an overpaid, old, possession receiver, why is that a bad thing? They replaced him with a guy that's going to out produce him if he stays healthy and fits the defense better. With a similar salary, and three years younger.

Maybe he'll chase the ring this time and not the money. (Which he'd have if he had signed with the Pats in the first place...)
SwoboVike
Starter

Post by SwoboVike »

I think all of this talk of effectiveness of our WRs is taking away from what really affected their output - the weak OL play and mediocre running game.

If you ask me it doesn't matter if you have Moss for a WR - if Teddy isn't given time to setup or AD isn't threatening to break one for 6 then it doesn't matter because no WR can get sufficient separation when the QB HAS to pass but the OL can't give him time to complete his drop back even.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Mothman wrote: ... and yet he led the team in receiving TDs with 6, which speaks volumes about his ability and the ability of the other WRs. I agree that Jennings isn't a game-breaker or a great deep threat but I don't think those qualities alone define the best overall receiver on a team.
It's a long road from a few strong games to "easily" the best WR on the team and an even longer road to "exact type of talent that you want as a #1 receiver". Johnson's no such thing as far as I'm concerned, not at this point in his career. I've never liked the term #1 receiver much but to me, Antonio Brown, A.J. Green and Calvin Johnson are examples of "#1 receivers". Johnson's a backup who came in, flashed as a starter and after a good month, saw his production steadily drop. It didn't look like that took a concerted effort by opposing defenses to shut down an exceptional talent either.

Look, I'm not trying to rip the guy. He did a good job and I'm hoping he can become a very good starting receiver for the Vikings. That would be great. He clearly has talent but I think people (including Norv) are going overboard in praising him.
Alright, alright...I hear ya.

In conclusion: Let's just wait and seewhat happens.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote:Alright, alright...I hear ya.
:lol: Sorry...
In conclusion: Let's just wait and see what happens.
That's been my intent all along. We don't really have a choice anyway...
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

I wonder how much patterson bombing played into it. I'm sure very little but a big reason he was brought here was to be that veteran mentor and help patterson! Always liked Greg and don't feel like his stats plummeting was by any means his fault. Our O-line sucked and ponder / casell are meh. Looked like he was building some chemistry with Teddy towards the end of the year too. Oh well, too much $ in the end.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

mondry wrote:I wonder how much patterson bombing played into it. I'm sure very little but a big reason he was brought here was to be that veteran mentor and help patterson! Always liked Greg and don't feel like his stats plummeting was by any means his fault. Our O-line sucked and ponder / casell are meh. Looked like he was building some chemistry with Teddy towards the end of the year too. Oh well, too much $ in the end.
I would guess that Patterson having a sophomore slump had nothing to do with anything regarding Jennings.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I'm surprised the Vikings made this move as rapidly as they did. I thought Zimmer would want to go through more of the offseason and some OTAs before making a final decision on Jennings, but the coaches must have felt strongly enough about both Jennings and Wallace to make a need to evaluate more moot.

I'm also surprised at how quickly Cordarelle Patterson is being written off by fans. Yes, he didn't have the best sophomore season. Yes, he was relegated to the back of the line late in the season, and yes, Zimmer laid down the guantlet for the guy as to what he wanted from him this offseason. But Patterson has the raw tools to succeed. He's got attributes that can't be taught, so with him it's more a matter of personal effort and focus, and all indications are that he's been doing exactly what was asked of him. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Patterson is going to surprise everyone this upcoming season in a positive way and have a big year.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Demi wrote: Finally they get with the times. This flood the field with tight ends and full backs 90s big ten offense garbage lasted too long the way it was. The biggest thing this team needed was players to fit the system. Zimmer and Norv's. And now they're starting to get it. If that means cutting an overpaid, old, possession receiver, why is that a bad thing? They replaced him with a guy that's going to out produce him if he stays healthy and fits the defense better. With a similar salary, and three years younger.

Maybe he'll chase the ring this time and not the money. (Which he'd have if he had signed with the Pats in the first place...)
I know we don't agree on a lot Nick but this is exactly how I feel as well. Now that we finally have legitimate coaches in place, it will be much easier to find guys to fit the system and I think Spielman and the rest of the staff understand that. I personally love how we are staying patient in free agency as well. There is still a lot of talent out there and the longer we wait, the cheaper they will be.

Everyone is bummed out about losing out on Johnson but we aren't going to pay a 3rd DE $6 million. There are much cheaper options out there that can produce fairly well.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote: I would guess that Patterson having a sophomore slump had nothing to do with anything regarding Jennings.
Agreed. This was simply about money vs. production.
Puddin'Taine
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Puddin'Taine »

Mothman wrote: The difference is that the 5th round pick the Vikings received in the Cassel trade is the first pick in the 5th round and the pick the Vikes traded to the Dolphins is the 15th pick in the 5th round. That's all.

Ohhh, OK. Thank you:)
"He kept getting pies in the face and everyone thought it was so funny.I didn't think it was so funny.They should have eaten the pies instead of throwing them at each other If they were mad,why didn't they just knock the crap out of each other?"
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Mothman wrote: :lol: Sorry...
That's been my intent all along. We don't really have a choice anyway...
Not alright, alright as in you've made your point ad nauseam, but with more inflection like, "you've made valid points and there's no reason to argue that opinion."

I felt like I needed to clarify that. :lol:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Not alright, alright as in you've made your point ad nauseam, but with more inflection like, "you've made valid points and there's no reason to argue that opinion."

I felt like I needed to clarify that. :lol:
Ha! Thanks. I didn't take it the wrong way though.

:beerchug:
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

I am going to take an alternate route to this. I feel as if this had a different agenda attached to it. And while the money was a part of it, this basically tells me that somehow patterson is improving. Zimmer is really sneaky with the media at times. People can't honestly sit there and tell me that he doesn't communicate with his players, or that the guy that he has him training with isn't giving him status updates. I believe CP84 is getting "it", and zim's secret squirrel is telling him this, or zimmer himself is witnessing some improvement to the point where they felt jennings was expendable to make the attempt to cut his salary.

Getting wallace jumped the % on waynes. Cutting jennings just leveled it back out to a tossup. I still think they're grabbing parker even if cooper is there. You can't ignore 28 touchdowns as a tag team. It's not as if getting him would be a reach at 11. Besides the fact that him and teddy played at louisville together, parker in his own right is a specimen at 6'3, 210 and fast, with excellent hands and a nose for the ball.
Last edited by Boon on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puddin'Taine
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Puddin'Taine »

Mothman wrote: .
We'll see. I'm not sold on Johnson as a starting WR.
.[/quote]

Agreed. I just don't buy it. There is no way whatsoever he puts up more than half of what he did last year. I'm more on the side that it was a fluke, one of those things that just happened to come together, one of those right place at the right time. Not saying He's a loser or a bust or anything like that, just, that was his time.
"He kept getting pies in the face and everyone thought it was so funny.I didn't think it was so funny.They should have eaten the pies instead of throwing them at each other If they were mad,why didn't they just knock the crap out of each other?"
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I’m kind of curious how adding Wallace to the Locker room is going to go over. Jennings was by far the most mature guy of the WR corps, he had won a superbowl and was a high character kind of player. Now we have corps that is young and potentially explosive, but it also has a guy with some history of attitude issues in Wallace plus a guy who deeply wants to be the center of attention in CP84. That sounds like a challenge. It will be interesting to see how this group handles the mental stuff when they hit some bumps in the road.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi