Zimmer pleased with Patterson's offseason work, 'mentality'

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

frosted
Career Elite Player

Re: Zimmer pleased with Patterson's offseason work, 'mentali

Post by frosted »

PacificNorseWest wrote:Just going to take a stab at who this muse is, but my guess is T.J. Houshmandzadeh. He was one of the smarter receivers around when he played and, of course, he has Zimmer's respect and vice versa.
I thought I read somewhere that it is Troy Brown, at the recommendation of Parcells to Zim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

frosted wrote: I thought I read somewhere that it is Troy Brown, at the recommendation of Parcells to Zim.
That's what was reported as a rumor here: http://vikingsterritory.com/2015/rumors ... -patterson

Zimmer hasn't confirmed.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

dead_poet wrote:

That's what was reported as a rumor here: http://vikingsterritory.com/2015/rumors ... -patterson

Zimmer hasn't confirmed.
Brown is the guy Patterson went to on his own. Zimmer said CP has contacted his guy and they will be getting together also.

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/mi ... ity-030615
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

The Vikings are trying to move Cordarrelle Patterson, but there's A REASON (he can't learn the offense).
— Omar Kelly (@OmarKelly) March 12, 2015
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Hmm. It's definitely possible, but it seems odd that the news breaks from a Dolphins beat writer.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Who the heck is Omar Kelly? codename for Chip?
And what is that line about the 'REASON' mean?

That's just weird...man.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

But they just removed that bar from his helmet!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The Breeze wrote:Who the heck is Omar Kelly? codename for Chip?
And what is that line about the 'REASON' mean?

That's just weird...man.
The implication is supposed to be that Patterson is too dumb to learn the offense.

Kelly is an NFL beat writer and columnist for the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

According to Pete Bercich...
PeteBercich @PeteBercich
Rumor - Texans inquiring about Patterson in a trade. Vikes not actively shopping him, but gauging value
Basically, as I just posted in the free agency thread, it sounds like if a team is interested in Patterson, the Vikes are willing to listen.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Yeah I saw the Patterson shopping story pop up too
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: It's a given that he needs to develop into a more well-rounded player but they seemed to expect that to happen overnight and when it didn't, they benched him instead of adapting and coming up with some ways to get more production out of him. As Zimmer said, it's a two-way street. Turner appeared inflexible and unimaginative when it came to Patterson.
I would caution us all to look at this from the perspective of fans who have no idea what goes on in the locker room, the film room, or on the practice field.

We don't know the full reasons Patterson's production fell off to the point where he was benched. Maybe Norv was unimaginative and refused to use Patterson's unique talents. Or it could just as easily have been a lack of effort -- physically, mentally, or attitudinally -- on Patterson's part that we simply weren't privy to. Let's all remember -- the same complaints were being thrown around for the first 3/4 of CP's rookie season, and that was with a different coaching staff. Perhaps there's a reason or two that extend beyond a lack of imagination.

Let's think about this, as well ...

If Patterson isn't playing well enough to be an every-down player, then bringing him on the field for an imaginative play pretty much takes the surprise out of it. We saw that this year. The second CP came on the field, the other team knew something was up. CP has got to improve his overall game to the point that he can stay on the field, or he's going to be ineffective, no matter how talented he is, or how imaginative the coaching is.

I guess all I'm saying is there's likely blame to go both ways. I want CP to succeed in the worst way. He can be such an exciting player. But when a guy falls behind a Cleveland practice-squad castoff and Adam Thielen on the depth chart, he has to accept some blame.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I would caution us all to look at this from the perspective of fans who have no idea what goes on in the locker room, the film room, or on the practice field.

We don't know the full reasons Patterson's production fell off to the point where he was benched. Maybe Norv was unimaginative and refused to use Patterson's unique talents. Or it could just as easily have been a lack of effort -- physically, mentally, or attitudinally -- on Patterson's part that we simply weren't privy to. Let's all remember -- the same complaints were being thrown around for the first 3/4 of CP's rookie season, and that was with a different coaching staff. Perhaps there's a reason or two that extend beyond a lack of imagination.

Let's think about this, as well ...

If Patterson isn't playing well enough to be an every-down player, then bringing him on the field for an imaginative play pretty much takes the surprise out of it. We saw that this year. The second CP came on the field, the other team knew something was up. CP has got to improve his overall game to the point that he can stay on the field, or he's going to be ineffective, no matter how talented he is, or how imaginative the coaching is.
I think everybody agrees that he needs to improve his overall game but that's been a given since before he was drafted. He was a project from the start and developing a project takes time.

For some reason, this discussion keeps coming down to the contrast between Patterson being an every down player or a gadget player, but there's plenty of room in-between those two extremes.
I guess all I'm saying is there's likely blame to go both ways. I want CP to succeed in the worst way. He can be such an exciting player. But when a guy falls behind a Cleveland practice-squad castoff and Adam Thielen on the depth chart, he has to accept some blame.
Of course there's blame to go both ways. My beef is that he proved at the end of 2013, and in the first game of 2014, that he can make big plays, scoring plays, with his natural athleticism when he's given opportunities to do so and yet a Vikings teams that struggled on offense more often than not last year ended up benching arguably their most athletically gifted player. There were undoubtedly some good, justifiable reasons for that but I still think, over the course of the season, they squandered a talent that could have helped them and I put that as much on Turner as on Patterson himself. YMMV.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Different systems and different QB's. For whatever reason the chemistry just wasn't there with Teddy and Patterson became a liability. Once Patterson got benched Teddy looked like a much better QB and the offense got a spark when charles johnson became more of the focal point along with chase ford stepping up.

I didn't want Patterson for this very reason but they say it takes 3 years for a WR to learn the NFL, for Patterson who's started from scratch and then had to change OC and QB's we might be looking at 4 or he may never get to a point where we can put him on the field without sacrificing something.

On the other hand it could all click this offseason and be huge for us but I'm skeptical. I don't think he'll ever be smart enough to play in a complex system like norv's so I hope he gets traded.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: I think everybody agrees that he needs to improve his overall game but that's been a given since before he was drafted. He was a project from the start and developing a project takes time.

For some reason, this discussion keeps coming down to the contrast between Patterson being an every down player or a gadget player, but there's plenty of room in-between those two extremes.
Of course there's blame to go both ways. My beef is that he proved at the end of 2013, and in the first game of 2014, that he can make big plays, scoring plays, with his natural athleticism when he's given opportunities to do so and yet a Vikings teams that struggled on offense more often than not last year ended up benching arguably their most athletically gifted player. There were undoubtedly some good, justifiable reasons for that but I still think, over the course of the season, they squandered a talent that could have helped them and I put that as much on Turner as on Patterson himself. YMMV.
Well, I'll bring up the point again ... we have no idea of CP's work ethic in the locker room, in the film room, in meetings, and at practice. I'll leave it at that.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Well, I'll bring up the point again ... we have no idea of CP's work ethic in the locker room, in the film room, in meetings, and at practice. I'll leave it at that.
The end of the year Vikings pack up locker room Patterson's attitude, really bugged me..
It was like he an extra in rap video showing his bling and his nick names... I was your
nickname should be splinter or pine butt, because you have not learned to run routes, moron.

I hope he comes back and proves me wrong, but at this point he seems like a total waste of
talent and several picks, to reach for him. I don't know the behind closed doors info.. I'll
admit. Well find out in about six months....
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
44crm
Backup

Post by 44crm »

jackal wrote: The end of the year Vikings pack up locker room Patterson's attitude, really bugged me..
It was like he an extra in rap video showing his bling and his nick names... I was your
nickname should be splinter or pine butt, because you have not learned to run routes, moron.

I hope he comes back and proves me wrong, but at this point he seems like a total waste of
talent and several picks, to reach for him. I don't know the behind closed doors info.. I'll
admit. Well find out in about six months....
I honestly believe Pattersons issues on the field this year are much simpler than his ability to learn the system and run routes.

Patterson is not the sharpest tool in the shed and is VERY YOUNG. All offseason prior to the 2014 season, media, players on the team and even people in the front office were talking about and treating Patterson like he was a STAR! that IMO is the worst thing that could have ever happened to him. I remember listening to kfan all summer and thinking to myself, "Man they are blowing this freaking kid's ego up!"

A young kid at a position known for it's share of fame and divas, was thrown into stardum WAY before he deserved it. I think it got to his head and truly effected his ability to realize he is nothing but a mediocre receiver with amazing talents.

My hope is this horrible season he had and the time spent with the mystery mentors, will get him back on solid ground and ready to become a productive receiver for this team.

Just my thoughts