Adrian Peterson Reinstated

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Adrian Peterson Reinstated

Post by Mothman »

Fiestavike, that was an excellent post. I'm glad you decided to make at least one more contribution to this thread because that was well worth reading.

Crash, once again, :welcome to the board. I don't quite agree with your friend Tommy or with you and Gary. I doubt the Vikes would have been a playoff team last year even with Peterson, although there's no way to know for sure. He certainly would have improved their chances...

As for keeping him around: I think it makes sense. The Vikings have already spent years building for the future and I'm guessing from their perspective, the future is now. Spielman has his hand-picked head coach and that coach has his hand-picked staff. They all seem to believe they've found their QB. The expectation from the Vikings (and many others) seems to be that both the defense and Bridgewater will continue to improve. It looks to me like the Vikes believe they've already built for the future and that's where Peterson comes in. They obviously feel he has enough good football left in him to balance out their offense and give them a valuable edge they'd lack without him. I don't see much reason to believe otherwise. 30 is just a number. Bodies don't undergo an immediate transformation at that age. Skills don't instantly diminish. Peterson's always been above average in terms of both his physical condition and his performance. He's human so eventually, his game will drop off but there's no way to accurately predict when that will happen. It could happen this year, next year or several years further down the line. Some running backs have had great seasons in their 30s. If Spielman believes he's built a team that can be Super Bowl-bound in the next few years, I think it makes sense for him to keep a potentially game-changing talent like Peterson around.

Personally, I'm not convinced the Vikings are playoff-bound this season but I'm not ruling it out either and I think their chances of reaching the postseason, and winning, are better with Peterson than without him. Ditto for next year and basically until he shows clear signs that his skills are seriously diminishing.

It's nice to have cap room but the point of having it is to spend that money on good players that improve the team. Peterson certainly fits that description.
Crash
Waterboy

Post by Crash »

My apologies on an error in my original post.

Marcus Allen did not gain 5000 yards after the age of 30. It was Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith.

I wondered because Peterson said today that he is aiming for Smith's rushing record. I don't think he has a prayer of catching that. He is 8165 yards shy of Smith at 30. After 30 Smith gained 5789 yards. Payton gained 5101 yards. Allen gained 4968 yards.

So he would have to not only do what no one has ever done and gain over 6000 yards past 30, he would need to go another 2165 past that. He's amazing, but not that amazing.

I apologize for not realizing people were sick of talking about him. I was really talking about creating cap room though, because I no longer want him. I think we're missing a chance to build a very good team.
"I think greatness in quarterbacks is taking what you've got, whether it's a great team, a good team, or a struggling team and make them better." --Fran Tarkenton

I hope you're listening Teddy.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Crash wrote:My apologies on an error in my original post.

Marcus Allen did not gain 5000 yards after the age of 30. It was Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith.

I wondered because Peterson said today that he is aiming for Smith's rushing record. I don't think he has a prayer of catching that. He is 8165 yards shy of Smith at 30. After 30 Smith gained 5789 yards. Payton gained 5101 yards. Allen gained 4968 yards.

So he would have to not only do what no one has ever done and gain over 6000 yards past 30, he would need to go another 2165 past that. He's amazing, but not that amazing
Probably not but it's a worthy goal. If he could average 1361 yards per season for another 6 years, he'd get the record. Smith was 35 in his last season so playing long enough to do it isn't completely out of the question. It's unlikely but "unlikely" is usually what breaks records. I never thought Smith would become the all-time rushing leader either.
I apologize for not realizing people were sick of talking about him. I was really talking about creating cap room though, because I no longer want him. I think we're missing a chance to build a very good team.
I don't think that really hinges on whether they keep Peterson or not. There's as much of an argument to be made that he can help them be a really good team as there is that he's somehow holding them back.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Re: Controversial Topic, Adrian Peterson

Post by PacificNorseWest »

fiestavike wrote: I'm hoping this will be my last post in this thread because I'm just so tired of it.

Based on the information that has come out from the beginning of this whole story last year, I think its clear that Peterson accidentally injured his son while disciplining him, which is distinctly different from "child abuse". In the Vikings initial reinstatement of Peterson, Spielman's comments indicated that he made that same distinction, all of the Vikings players who commented on the situation made the same distinction, the Grand Jury in Texas made the same distinction when they refused to bring child abuse charges in the first place, instead bringing the charge of negligent injury.

As stated before, this could have been a good jumping off point for a national conversation about how to appropriately discipline children. Instead its become a convoluted mess caused by the sloppy use of the english language, media sensationalism, and corporate cowardice (the Radisson, the Vikings and the NFL all showed themselves to be completely craven). As an untruth gathers steam its easier to just get out of the way or get on board than to insist on the truth, which is what most people have done.

I'm sure there are many on this board who take my comments in this thread to mean I am a supporter of Adrian Peterson. I am not. Through the years I've consistently been a critic of many of the decisions he's made in his life, including switching a 4 year old (something I would never do), but that doesn't mean I get to ignore the truth.

But for the accidental injury, everything Adrian Peterson did, including taking a switch and hitting his son with it repeatedly, is completely legal and normative across huge swaths of this country and overwhelmingly so in the black community. You could switch your child in front of a police officer and face zero legal repercussions. THATS SOMETHING WORTH TALKING ABOUT. But it has to be discussed honestly. We don't have to say that because it is legal it is alright, but we also can't pretend that that was the crime for which Adrian Peterson was charged. These are important distinctions.
Refreshing post is refreshing.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Jim: What are you thoughts on closing this chapter and moving on? And by that I mean locking the thread. I just think it's time to move on from this and nothing else can be said here that hasn't been.

Remove this negative aura of a thread!...
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PacificNorseWest wrote:Jim: What are you thoughts on closing this chapter and moving on? And by that I mean locking the thread. I just think it's time to move on from this and nothing else can be said here that hasn't been.

Agreed!! :rock:
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote:Jim: What are you thoughts on closing this chapter and moving on? And by that I mean locking the thread. I just think it's time to move on from this and nothing else can be said here that hasn't been.

It probably is time to move on. If Cliff or one of the other mods disagrees, I hope they'll re-open the thread but for now, I'll lock it up.