Adrian Peterson Reinstated

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Adrian Peterson Reinstated

Post by Mothman »

Jordysghost wrote:I know none of you want this to occur, but I smell a holdout coming.
I think most of us do. :(
There is no way you guys are going to find someone willing to pay the price tag Vikes brass has put on AP. I'd be shocked if someone traded a first for him, and completely amazed if they gave up a first and additional compensation.
It wouldn't surprise me at all, especially because the team most connected with peterson in trade rumors is Dallas. Jerry jones has a 34 year old QB who, if I'm not mistaken, has literally asked him to go all out to win a Super Bowl this year. he has a team coming off a 12 win season in which they were the second most productive rushing team in the league and that was no small part of their success. The man who did that rushing is now with a division rival so the Cowboys are in the market for a big-time running back. they're also facing future cap hell, which means winning now may be a priority for them. they might indeed be willing to give up a first round pick and more to acquire Peterson if they believe he's the proverbial "missing piece" to winning it all.

I wouldn't count on that and, in fact, I don't really want it to happen (I'd rather see Peterson finish his career with the Vikings) but I don't think it's out of the question at all.

Heck, if the Cards see Peterson as the missing piece to a championship, I could even see them making that trade.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Good. That's a nice position to take as a starting point. Patrick Peterson and a second-rounder would be an interesting package. Probably not doable but interesting to consider.

Sounds like the team really wants him in Purple, pending a Godfather-type trade offer. Which is my position as well. There's no discount to one of the game's best offensive weapons, future HOFer and game-changing backs. You want the Lamborghini, even slightly used, and it'll cost you the going blue book price, nothing less. We look pretty sexy driving it around.
:lol:

I think, as has been reported, they believe he's a key to taking the next step and becoming a playoff team in 2015. Heck, I even wonder if Spielman sees his future somewhat tied to this situation in the sense that the team needs to keep moving forward. This will be his 9th year with the team, his 4th straight year as GM and his second with the head coach of his choosing. For the second time now, he has a QB he drafted at the helm. Frazier took the fall for the team's continued mediocrity last time. If it continues much longer, I doubt Zimmer would take the fall alone. Spielman needs his building efforts to yield a consistent winner pretty soon.
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

If Dallas wants Peterson so badly, it seems like a fair package would be something like:

Vikings Get:

RT Doug Free
DE Jeremy Mincey
LB Anthony Hitchens
RB DeMarco Murray
Dallas's 1st round pick in 2015
Dallas's 2nd round pick in 2015
Dallas's 6th round pick in 2015
Dallas's 1st round pick in 2016 (conditional)
Dallas's 2nd round pick in 2016 (conditional)
Dallas's 2nd round pick in 2017 (conditional)
Dallas's 3rd round pick in 2017 (conditional)
Dallas's 1st round pick in 2018 (conditional)

Dallas Gets:

RB Adrian Peterson
Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 2015
Minnesota's 5th round pick in 2015
Minnesota's 7th round pick in 2015
Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 2016

I'm pretty sure that will work. Let's just hope Jerry Jones is as stupid as Mike Lynn.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

ChicagoViking wrote:If Dallas wants Peterson so badly, it seems like a fair package would be something like:

Vikings Get:

RT Doug Free
DE Jeremy Mincey
LB Anthony Hitchens
RB DeMarco Murray
Dallas's 1st round pick in 2015
Dallas's 2nd round pick in 2015
Dallas's 6th round pick in 2015
Dallas's 1st round pick in 2016 (conditional)
Dallas's 2nd round pick in 2016 (conditional)
Dallas's 2nd round pick in 2017 (conditional)
Dallas's 3rd round pick in 2017 (conditional)
Dallas's 1st round pick in 2018 (conditional)

Dallas Gets:

RB Adrian Peterson
Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 2015
Minnesota's 5th round pick in 2015
Minnesota's 7th round pick in 2015
Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 2016

I'm pretty sure that will work. Let's just hope Jerry Jones is as stupid as Mike Lynn.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Mothman wrote: I think most of us do. :(
It wouldn't surprise me at all, especially because the team most connected with peterson in trade rumors is Dallas. Jerry jones has a 34 year old QB who, if I'm not mistaken, has literally asked him to go all out to win a Super Bowl this year. he has a team coming off a 12 win season in which they were the second most productive rushing team in the league and that was no small part of their success. The man who did that rushing is now with a division rival so the Cowboys are in the market for a big-time running back. they're also facing future cap hell, which means winning now may be a priority for them. they might indeed be willing to give up a first round pick and more to acquire Peterson if they believe he's the proverbial "missing piece" to winning it all.

I wouldn't count on that and, in fact, I don't really want it to happen (I'd rather see Peterson finish his career with the Vikings) but I don't think it's out of the question at all.

Heck, if the Cards see Peterson as the missing piece to a championship, I could even see them making that trade.
Not sure how Dallas is facing future cap hell.

Cap space
2015 Dallas $12.3 million Vikings $11.7 million.
2016 Dallas $32 million Vikings $39 million
2017 Dallas $63 million Vikings $76 million
2018 Dallas $110 million Vikings $140 million.

If the Cowboys are facing cap hell, the Vikings are not far behind.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Raptorman wrote:Not sure how Dallas is facing future cap hell.

Cap space
2015 Dallas $12.3 million Vikings $11.7 million.
2016 Dallas $32 million Vikings $39 million
2017 Dallas $63 million Vikings $76 million
2018 Dallas $110 million Vikings $140 million.

If the Cowboys are facing cap hell, the Vikings are not far behind.
:confused:

Maybe I was misinformed. I got that impression from these Rick Gosselin comments. If they aren't looking at cap hell in the near future, that just means it's easier for them to trade for Peterson.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:Every time the idea of more guaranteed money gets mentioned someone seems to get angry over the idea that Peterson would be paid more but more guaranteed money isn't a raise. It isn't additional money to be paid on top of his salary. It's entirely possible (and I'd say even probable) that IF Peterson is open to renegotiating his contract to receive more guaranteed money that, in the end, the contract would be structured so the Vikings would have to pay him less money over the next 3 years. He's not likely to get that guaranteed money without providing something in return and that something would probably be cap relief and an easy out for the Vikings down the road.
I get that, however anything contract-related that's done now in light of all this is going to be perceived as the Vikings doing something to "reward" Peterson, even if that's not necessarily the case. It's pretty clear the perception here is that Peterson WANTS more cash/guaranteed money from a club. Giving that to him now would not be favorably seen in the eyes of many in light of not only his crime and suspension but his/his agent's actions this offseason. I think the Vikings have done all they're going to do this season. It's on Peterson to make the next move.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Jordysghost wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
That is the reverse of the Herschell Walker trade, believe it or not.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:I get that, however anything contract-related that's done now in light of all this is going to be perceived as the Vikings doing something to "reward" Peterson, even if that's not necessarily the case. It's pretty clear the perception here is that Peterson WANTS more cash/guaranteed money from a club. Giving that to him now would not be favorably seen in the eyes of many in light of not only his crime and suspension but his/his agent's actions this offseason.
My take on that is quite literally "so what?". I don't mean that to diminish your point, which is valid, but just to say that, as the saying goes, you can't please all of the people all of the time. No matter what the Vikings do, if they keep him and play him, they're going to take a PR hit from somewhere. If they restructure his deal to create a better financial situation for themselves that also involves guaranteeing Peterson more money and uncritical thinkers can't see that as anything other than a concession toward Peterson and a reward for bad behavior, there's just nothing the Vikes can do about that, nor should it worry them. There are already people who think they "rewarded" him by paying him last year and that putting him on the field again under his current contract and paying him $13 million in 2015 would also be a "reward".

Sorry if any of that came out wrong. This whole situation makes me grumpy.
I think the Vikings have done all they're going to do this season. It's on Peterson to make the next move.
Time will tell but if the Vikes intend to keep him for a few years, it's probably in the best interests of both parties to renegotiate the deal, which is why I won't be surprised at all if it happens.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

There's Ben Dogra news:

J.J. Watt Leaves Agent Ben Dogra, Who Also Represents Adrian Peterson
Dogra was purportedly dropped by Watt on April 14. The firing comes at a tough time for Dogra, who was dismissed by Washington Redskins left tackle Trent Williams in the past month and also lost Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Jeremy Maclin late last year. Maclin signed a five year, $55 million contract with the Chiefs in March 2015. Dogra will not see a commission from that contract.
Maybe AD should follow suit and look for a new agent.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Vikings want a first and a cornerback for Peterson:

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2015/4/18/ ... for-adrian
In the video, Caplan says that the Vikings want a first round pick and a starting player in any potential trade for Peterson. More specifically, Caplan says that the Vikings want a starting cornerback as part of any compensation they would receive for Peterson. According to Caplan, the Vikings have identified their top need as a cornerback and want to fill that spot in any deal of this nature.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Mothman wrote: :confused:

Maybe I was misinformed. I got that impression from these Rick Gosselin comments. If they aren't looking at cap hell in the near future, that just means it's easier for them to trade for Peterson.
My guess is that like everyone else who talks crap, he never bothered to actually look up the Cowboys cap numbers. And with the cap going up an average of 6.7% per year(since the cap came into being) by 2019 it will be just under $200 million per team.

BTW, since it's inception, the cap has only gone down once.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Raptorman wrote:My guess is that like everyone else who talks crap, he never bothered to actually look up the Cowboys cap numbers.

I should have checked for myself.
And with the cap going up an average of 6.7% per year(since the cap came into being) by 2019 it will be just under $200 million per team.

BTW, since it's inception, the cap has only gone down once.
That's because the money just keeps rollin' in. The NFL is a runaway money-making freight train.

Thanks for setting me straight on this. :)

Jim
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

Mothman wrote:There's Ben Dogra news:

J.J. Watt Leaves Agent Ben Dogra, Who Also Represents Adrian Peterson
Maybe AD should follow suit and look for a new agent.
That Forbes article is a little misleading. JJ Watt has been with Tom Condon and Beg Dogra at CCA since he came into the league. CCA fired Dogra late last year. Watt had to choose between Condon or Dogra. Since Condon is the higher profile agent and CCA is an elite agency with a lot of clout it doesn't surprise me that Watt decided to stick with Condon and CCA.
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

MNSportsNut wrote:You guys are starting to hit on something I have been wondering about. I do not know the NFL salary cap rules that well - especially at this stage where we have 87 players on contract and can only have 53 going into the regular season. But using the numbers specified in that cap spreadsheet that was on this sight earlier, I modified it to show 89% of the cap (the supposed minimum cap) Using the Top 51 cap salaries, we are sitting a little under the minimum. If I did the calculations correctly. So what happens if Peterson is traded? A first or second round pick is not going to cover the 13M savings on the cap. Or am I doing something wrong?

Just for the record, I would like to see Peterson traded for at least enough to draft Gurley or no trade. I do not think Gordon is near as good - he always had that big offensive line to run behind.
The 89% cap floor is applied to a four year period. A team could (theoretically) be well below the cap for one year and not be in violation of the CBA so long as they made it up in the other three years (without going over their specific cap allotment with carryovers).

Even if a team is found to be in violation of the cap floor the penalty is ... well ... there is no penalty really. All they have to do is pay the difference to the NFLPA. They don't lose any draft picks or have to pay any additional fines or penalties (other than the difference between what they owed and what they paid).
Last edited by Pseudo Everything on Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.