Zimmer wants Peterson in a Vikings uniform in 2015

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Zimmer wants Peterson in a Vikings uniform in 2015

Post by mansquatch »

I again agree with Kapp. AP isn't a lame duck in this negotiation if it takes place. They are going to need to pay him. Also, why wouldn't they? They lack a bonafide playmaker on offense. McKinnon and Asiata do not deliver the same juice at the position that AP does. AP more than likely knows this. They could make a loyalty plea, saying "we supported you this season, now help us out" but that is dicey. If he walks the Vikings are probably the bigger loser.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I can't help but think that if they didn't want him back they woulda cut him already.

With all the rookie contracts on the roster it should be doable to pay him....however it may effect what they can do in free agency. I don't know their cap situation.

It would be huge to get him back and I would favor it.

The rumors of executives within the FO who want him gone need to be resolved....and I think that's what it comes down to. I think the 'football' people (coaches,GM) are jumping to get him on the field, but the PR types may have other ideas.

Probably going to be some testy meetings and the owners may have to spine up on this one.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I'm starting to wonder about the what or whom that is the cause of those rumors. I have no basis other than conjecture, but I wonder if some of the reason behind those rumors was to generate negative publicity in order to create a bargaining position for the Vikings on AP's contract. I broke it down in another thread and IMO, the Team's bargaining position if they were to attempt to renegotiate is weak. AP would probably tell them to go fly a kite and he'd be right to do so. We saw how much we missed him on offense all season long.

All speculation so take it with a grain of salt (or three).
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

If the rumors are fabrications that would be sad IMO.

It's the part of this biz I don't like.

If I'm AD I'd say pay me or cut/trade me. I don't think he owes this franchise anything extra.

His price tag is for what he does on the field which hasn't diminished....until his performance does diminish they should honor his contract.
Obviously he got paid for nothing this year, but that was the teams decision and exacerbated by some seriously shoddy procedures by the league office.

Other than docking him game checks for actual games he was suspended, as far as getting a refund, I don't see any merit in the Vikings not honoring his contract as is.

Maybe they could restructure and defer some of it down the road(if that's an option) but only if his salary is handcuffing them somehow in the now.

Yeah, I'd tell them to kick rocks. There are more competitive teams he could play for if he's going to get less cash.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

My first post since the shutdown.

I have a couple differing views on this. I know Mike Zimmer is about the Minnesota Vikings as a team. Adrian Peterson is about Adrian Peterson. I know Zim wants Peterson if he can be a role player as a running back. Adrian Peterson wants to be the face of the franchise. This team no longer needs to be all about Adrian Peterson.
Let's not forget that Adrian Peterson is the only one who made it so he wouldn't play this year. Not getting into the discipline debate, but if any of us did that to another human being, we would probably go to jail. And, to be honest, he really only sounds like he was sorry that he got caught. He's the one who skipped out on the meeting with the commish. If your CEO wanted to have a meeting with you after you got in trouble with the authorities, I'm pretty sure you would make it to the meeting to save your job. Whether you agree with it or not.

We don't need the no. 1 back in the NFL to win anymore. This team is being built around the QB position as it should be. We don't need a 13 million dollar running back and I hope we don't have one anymore. Yes we need more than McKinnon, but we need role players.
If Peterson were to take a pay cut and accept a role position on the team and for once learn how to pick up a blitzing linebacker, I would like him to come back. If he is going to display what I perceive as hubris, then he can take his act elsewhere.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I've said it before, but I believe the only way the Vikings will retain AP is to pay his contract.

AP is likely to say, "Pay me or cut me." Hate to say it, but it's what I'd do. Think about it. If the Vikings cut him, he can go negotiate with any team he wants. He could go play for a contender like Dallas or New England. Or he can simply sign with the highest bidder, which is likely to be higher than what the Vikings would pay him in a restructured deal. Also, AP's own comments suggest that he's not as loyal to the Vikings as we would like him to be.

There's little doubt that AP can still play. So in the end, AP is going to do what's best for AP. I can't blame him for that.

I know what you mean. As I said in another thread, there are a lot of things AD is going to consider. There's the pay, his age, how many years he wants to play, and how many chances he might have to play in the Super Bowl before retirement. If Peterson does as you suggest, I not only would understand and agree with his decision, but I would be thrilled to see him play in a Super Bowl team before he retires.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I get what dkoby is saying and ideally that sounds like a good formula.

One thing that sticks out for me about this game and league, and pro sports in general, is how it's necessary to have that driven alpha guy on the field and in the locker room. I really don't find myself attracted to AD's personna....quite the opposite actually, but when the lights go on I want that guy on my team. I want his energy and drive influencing the younger players and teaching them how to finish each play.

I don't buy that he's not a team guy. He's ego-simplistic and not very nuanced socially...but he gives 1000% on the field and for the game.

I think the 2009 season showed how he can compliment an offense capable of passing the football. It's a shame his whole career has only one season where that can be observed.

I can see him being a huge catalyst for Turners offense with TB calling the shots.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

It seems like Peterson has been a team player for his whole career so I see no reason to assume he has some need to be the "face of the franchise", although if he returned, the media would likely perceive him that way anyway, since he'd still be the team's biggest, most recognizable star player.

No offense meant to dkoby, but the idea that Peterson is "sorry that he got caught" flies in the face of what Peterson himself has actually said. Nobody is required to believe him if they don't want to but he's expressed what sounds like pretty sincere regret to me. Skipping the meeting with the NFL was obviously something he did on the advice of his union and the meeting seemed a bit sketchy and/or unorthodox in the first place. As for the idea that "for once" he needs to "learn how to pick up a blitzing linebacker": check the film. He's proven he can do that many times over.

I understand that Peterson's return, his projected salary, and especially his criminal act are controversial subjects but I hate seeing fans make judgements about what a guy in his position is thinking, how he interacts with others socially, etc. when that's clearly something they aren't in position to know and the idea that he can't block or catch is a tired old song indeed since he's proven otherwise. Room for improvement doesn't equal ineptitude.

The Vikes may not need the no. 1 back in the NFL to win but they sure look like a team that needs more firepower and better production from their running game, something Peterson has proven more than capable of providing. As I posted elsewhere, the Vikes scored 14 points or less in 7 games this season, 20 or less in 9 games! This team doesn't need role-players. It needs impact players. That doesn't mean Peterson has to be on the roster but as Breeze said above, I want a guy with that kind of energy, drive and ability to finish playing on my team.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

Mothman wrote:It seems like Peterson has been a team player for his whole career so I see no reason to assume he has some need to be the "face of the franchise", although if he returned, the media would likely perceive him that way anyway, since he'd still be the team's biggest, most recognizable star player.

No offense meant to dkoby, but the idea that Peterson is "sorry that he got caught" flies in the face of what Peterson himself has actually said. Nobody is required to believe him if they don't want to but he's expressed what sounds like pretty sincere regret to me. Skipping the meeting with the NFL was obviously something he did on the advice of his union and the meeting seemed a bit sketchy and/or unorthodox in the first place. As for the idea that "for once" he needs to "learn how to pick up a blitzing linebacker": check the film. He's proven he can do that many times over.

I understand that Peterson's return, his projected salary, and especially his criminal act are controversial subjects but I hate seeing fans make judgements about what a guy in his position is thinking, how he interacts with others socially, etc. when that's clearly something they aren't in position to know and the idea that he can't block or catch is a tired old song indeed since he's proven otherwise. Room for improvement doesn't equal ineptitude.

The Vikes may not need the no. 1 back in the NFL to win but they sure look like a team that needs more firepower and better production from their running game, something Peterson has proven more than capable of providing. As I posted elsewhere, the Vikes scored 14 points or less in 7 games this season, 20 or less in 9 games! This team doesn't need role-players. It needs impact players. That doesn't mean Peterson has to be on the roster but as Breeze said above, I want a guy with that kind of energy, drive and ability to finish playing on my team.

None taken. This is the internet after all...lol
We have forsaken the QB position for quite a few years in part because we had Adrian on the team. We are recovering, in my opinion, from being built around him. The team has many holes left to fill, and has had to learn how to win without him. I just don't want to go back to that. Like I said, I'd be happy as heck if he can accept that he is a role player. That doesn't mean that he wouldn't be a featured back, but just not the sole focus of the offense. Haven't we all wanted a QB that could take advantage of PA run threat? Last one to do that was Favre. You know Jim, that, that, guy you like so much....lol

As for his repentance, I must have missed a few sound bites from him, after this all broke. I just haven't heard it. I mean he initially said that he would continue to discipline his kids, his way. And no matter what he says or does to make it right, as soon as he is reinstated, there will be protest from certain segments of society. This is the PR nightmare that the FO has to consider.

As far as his blocking ability, we will have to agree to disagree. I can probably drag out as many whiffs as successful blocks. Theres a reason guys like Asiata get the start, they know who and when to block/blitz pick up. I'm saying Asiata because many here have questioned starting Asiata since AD has been out.
AD has gotten better over the years. And no, i'm not saying Matt is as good as AD, but he is as good of a blocker.
I agree with an impact player in the RB position and I think McKinnon was drafted specifically as a compliment to AD. Not as a featured back as some have speculated.
I like the direction the team is headed. We have a QB that we use to actually threaten the other teams defense with, not try to hide him behind the running game.
Things happen for a reason, I say it's 50/50 that he's back.
I'll leave it off with this, again, Adrian Peterson is the reason Adrian Peterson did not play this year and he left his organization, team mates and fans without him.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

The other side of the argument. Don't agree with it and I think his math is questionable.

The Case Against Keeping Adrian Peterson
Last edited by 808vikingsfan on Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dkoby wrote:None taken. This is the internet after all...lol
Indeed. :)
We have forsaken the QB position for quite a few years in part because we had Adrian on the team. We are recovering, in my opinion, from being built around him. The team has many holes left to fill, and has had to learn how to win without him. I just don't want to go back to that. Like I said, I'd be happy as heck if he can accept that he is a role player. That doesn't mean that he wouldn't be a featured back, but just not the sole focus of the offense. Haven't we all wanted a QB that could take advantage of PA run threat? Last one to do that was Favre. You know Jim, that, that, guy you like so much....lol
I understand what you're saying but I don't think Peterson ever demanded to be the focus of the offense, it just became necessary. I think he probably liked playing a central role because he's the type of player who wants the ball in his hands and wants to contribute but I never really felt the Vikings were forsaking the QB position, just bungling it. I don't think he ever complained about the increased role of the passing game in 2009. I suspect he liked it because it led to more success.
As for his repentance, I must have missed a few sound bites from him, after this all broke. I just haven't heard it. I mean he initially said that he would continue to discipline his kids, his way.
You definitely missed some things. You might find this an interesting read:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /70025476/
As far as his blocking ability, we will have to agree to disagree. I can probably drag out as many whiffs as successful blocks. Theres a reason guys like Asiata get the start, they know who and when to block/blitz pick up. I'm saying Asiata because many here have questioned starting Asiata since AD has been out.
AD has gotten better over the years. And no, i'm not saying Matt is as good as AD, but he is as good of a blocker.
Sure, but as I said, room for improvement doesn't equal incompetence. Peterson's blocking has improved over the last few years (that he's played). It could stand to get better but a comment like "and for once learn how to pick up a blitzing linebacker" seemed to imply incompetence, or something close to it. That's why I posted what I did.
I agree with an impact player in the RB position and I think McKinnon was drafted specifically as a compliment to AD. Not as a featured back as some have speculated.
I like the direction the team is headed. We have a QB that we use to actually threaten the other teams defense with, not try to hide him behind the running game.
Things happen for a reason, I say it's 50/50 that he's back.

I'll leave it off with this, again, Adrian Peterson is the reason Adrian Peterson did not play this year and he left his organization, team mates and fans without him.
I don't think anyone has forgotten that but his transgression is in the past now. He's been through the legal process, he's been through a lot of the NFL's process and now he has to "play ball" to satisfy Fearless Leader and get reinstated. If/when that happens, it seems likely he will still have quite a bit to offer the Vikes as a player so the question is, can they make the contract situation work to the satisfaction of both Peterson and the team? I hope so.

Oh, and I agree with your take on McKinnon. :)

By the way, welcome back!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

dkoby wrote:My first post since the shutdown.
Welcome back!
dkoby wrote:And, to be honest, he really only sounds like he was sorry that he got caught.
But can't we say that about any apology? I mean, how are we supposed to discern the level of Adrian Peterson's sincerity? I certainly can't.

All I can do is look at it in perspective of my own life. I've done things, made mistakes, that I have been very sorry for, to the point of ruining a relationship. But the only person who ever saw my deepest level of contrition was the person I offended. Other people who are less consequential to the relationship don't get to see that, and they never will. My apologies were accepted, which allowed the relationship to be restored. Honestly that's all that matters to either of us.

Now, it can be argued that Adrian Peterson has a relationship with his fans, and I would agree. But is a fan relationship really the same as family? I don't think so. The people to whom he really owes the apologies are his son and his son's mother. So I doubt the fans would be privy to that same level of contrition. He doesn't seem like a guy who's going to cry for the cameras.

Or maybe I'm just an old softie.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Welcome back!
But can't we say that about any apology? I mean, how are we supposed to discern the level of Adrian Peterson's sincerity? I certainly can't.

All I can do is look at it in perspective of my own life. I've done things, made mistakes, that I have been very sorry for, to the point of ruining a relationship. But the only person who ever saw my deepest level of contrition was the person I offended. Other people who are less consequential to the relationship don't get to see that, and they never will. My apologies were accepted, which allowed the relationship to be restored. Honestly that's all that matters to either of us.

Now, it can be argued that Adrian Peterson has a relationship with his fans, and I would agree. But is a fan relationship really the same as family? I don't think so. The people to whom he really owes the apologies are his son and his son's mother. So I doubt the fans would be privy to that same level of contrition. He doesn't seem like a guy who's going to cry for the cameras.

Or maybe I'm just an old softie.

Thank you both for the welcome backs.

He certainly doesn't owe me an apology and you are 100% right in what you said. But in order to play in this league, you have to please the "fearless Leader" as Moth so eloquently put it. In that regard I feel he failed. I think he could have went to the stupid meeting with his lawyer and union leaders and not given Goodell a leg to stand on. He could have said nothing but still should have went.

Reading the article that Moth linked, this is the thing that gets me the most..."Growing up in Texas, Peterson faced corporal punishment from his father and others. He's acutely aware that such punishments are viewed differently along geographical, cultural and racial lines".
the guy is 30 and a millionaire. And this basically says knew better.
I'm not judging his life, just his actions in light that he knows a lot of people don't agree with this stuff and he knows he's under a microscope.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dkoby wrote:Thank you both for the welcome backs.

He certainly doesn't owe me an apology and you are 100% right in what you said. But in order to play in this league, you have to please the "fearless Leader" as Moth so eloquently put it. In that regard I feel he failed. I think he could have went to the stupid meeting with his lawyer and union leaders and not given Goodell a leg to stand on. He could have said nothing but still should have went.

Reading the article that Moth linked, this is the thing that gets me the most..."Growing up in Texas, Peterson faced corporal punishment from his father and others. He's acutely aware that such punishments are viewed differently along geographical, cultural and racial lines".
the guy is 30 and a millionaire. And this basically says knew better.
Not exactly...

... but there's no point getting into that. It's been discussed in detail on the board and it's a moot point now. His criminal act is history. What he did was wrong, he's expressed remorse and he's been through the legal process required of him. At this point, it's about football.

The meeting was pretty obviously a set-up, at least in my view. The NFL requested it on short notice, created an unusual circumstance and when Peterson and/or the NFLPA decided it would be unwise to attend, the league wasted no time in getting the word out the next morning. They clearly wanted the world to know they tried but Peterson wouldn't play ball with them. The apparent lack of cooperation, despite the circumstances of the meeting being outside of what had been collectively bargained, was just the hammer Goodell wanted to pound Peterson like a nail and that's what he's done ever since.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

Mothman wrote:
At this point, it's about football.

I wish that were true. And for you and I it would be. But Goodell is still in control of this thing and it's really all about what AD does from now until April until he satisfies Goodell that he is remorseful. Butthead said as much.
Yes they are trying too hard to make AD an example. The timing on this thing couldn't have been worse, and you are right, it's been talked to death, but it really isn't over until the commish gets the last word and he is going to try to fix his own reputation at AD's expense. You can probably expect more unreasonable hurdles for AD to navigate.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945