Cris Carter's son to visit Vikings on Jan. 9

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Cris Carter's son to visit Vikings on Jan. 9

Post by The Breeze »

dead_poet wrote: 2013-2014 highlight package: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXnNhB5AUtQ

Don't get me wrong, I'd love him here. At the very least he'd add presumably solid depth and it'd be a fun story (though you wonder if he wants that kind of pressure/attention to be constantly compared to his dad here), but for all the attention he's garnering I can't imagine we'd be the highest bidder or offer a clear path to playing time. He could probably walk on and be the Chiefs #2, for example.
That's pretty much my take as well.

I would feel ashamed if my son opted to play in the AFC.
TeddyViking
Practice Squad

Post by TeddyViking »

Ardenn wrote: Who do you want to give up for him, Thielen or Wright?
Jennings
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

TeddyViking wrote: Jennings
Lol. Why? Jennings is too valuable to this team to simply let go. He is the consummate professional.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Lol. Why? Jennings is too valuable to this team to simply let go. He is the consummate professional.
Not a whole lot of receptions or yards for the contract he has. But yeah, no way can we drop our #1/#2 WR for someone who is just known as being the son of a great former Viking.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Lol. Why? Jennings is too valuable to this team to simply let go. He is the consummate professional.
I agree. I continue to say, I love Jennings. Is he playing good enough for what he is getting paid? No. But he is the most reliable WR we have. Great route runner and hands, great veteran to have. He's a guy that needs to take a pay cut either this year or next and we should keep him for at least 2 more years as long as he will take that cut.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Not a whole lot of receptions or yards for the contract he has. But yeah, no way can we drop our #1/#2 WR for someone who is just known as being the son of a great former Viking.
Exactly and regarding Jennings' production (which keeps coming up), I wonder what people were expecting? Even in his most productive seasons in GB, with Rodgers throwing to him, he was a 75-80 reception player, not the kind of receiver who catches 100+ passes in a season. He's had Ponder, Cassel and Bridgewater throwing to him in MN, on a team that hasn't had a WR top 90 catches in a season since Moss did it in 2003 (Harvin had 87 in 2011), and without the kind of complementary receiving threats GB put on the field with him.

He signed a huge contract because he was a free agent and the Vikes desperately needed help and experience at WR. They overpaid, which is often the case with free agents, but to me, Jennings still looks like a receiver who could put together an 80 catch, 10 TDs season in the right offense, with good QB play. Maybe next year, if Bridgewater keeps developing and the Vikings improve elsewhere on offense, he'll have a resurgence and get back to that kind of production.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Duron Carter's workout with Vikings set for Friday
Duron Carter, the son of former Vikings wide receiver and Hall-of-Famer Cris Carter, is scheduled to work out for the Vikings at Winter Park tomorrow. He is expected to arrive in the Twin Cities today.
Carter has since drawn interest from several NFL teams. According to his father, Duron worked out for the Colts and Chiefs this week and has visits scheduled with the 49ers and Browns next week.

Of course, the Vikings — assuming they like what they see from Carter this time around — can keep him from making those upcoming visits with a strong contract offer and a chance to compete.

The fact that the Vikings have a poised young QB in Teddy Bridgewater and that Charles Johnson, a little-known receiver when the Vikings nabbed him from the Browns’ practice squad, became their top playmaker down the stretch may help their case should they try to convince Carter to sign here.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Mothman wrote: Exactly and regarding Jennings' production (which keeps coming up), I wonder what people were expecting? Even in his most productive seasons in GB, with Rodgers throwing to him, he was a 75-80 reception player, not the kind of receiver who catches 100+ passes in a season. He's had Ponder, Cassel and Bridgewater throwing to him in MN, on a team that hasn't had a WR top 90 catches in a season since Moss did it in 2003 (Harvin had 87 in 2011), and without the kind of complementary receiving threats GB put on the field with him.

He signed a huge contract because he was a free agent and the Vikes desperately needed help and experience at WR. They overpaid, which is often the case with free agents, but to me, Jennings still looks like a receiver who could put together an 80 catch, 10 TDs season in the right offense, with good QB play. Maybe next year, if Bridgewater keeps developing and the Vikings improve elsewhere on offense, he'll have a resurgence and get back to that kind of production.
I agree completely. He's no a world beater, but he is still very good.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

....nobody strives for attention more than ocho but this is interesting!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Are we going to get some video of the workout today?
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

There's another Carter working out for Vikings at receiver
CFL All-Star receiver Duron Carter, the 23-year-old son of Vikings Hall of Fame receiver Cris Carter, said he’s a different person than he was nearly two years ago when he failed to impress his dad’s old team during a rookie minicamp tryout.

“It really was just me finally learning how to be a professional,” Carter said Thursday while sitting on a plane bound for Minnesota and a Friday morning workout with the Vikings.

“Just handling the day-to-day business. Just staying focused. I’ve always been confident in my ability. I realized it’s about going out and taking advantage of it. It’s been a tough road, but I’m getting there.”

The 6-5, 205-pound receiver met with receivers coach George Stewart over dinner Thursday night. He said he already has had recent workouts with Tampa Bay, Indianapolis and Kansas City. He has nothing scheduled beyond Friday, but said he might also visit Carolina, San Francisco and Cleveland. He can’t sign with any team until next month.
More at the link.
Vette3434
Backup

Post by Vette3434 »

nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

A few thoughts on Carter and the WR corps.

1. Don't discount Carter having grown up since we last saw him. I know I had to learn a few tough lessons when I was younger about school and work. Sometimes you have to get smacked down for things to sink in. That doesn't mean he did grow up, just means it's not impossible.

2. While I want Carter to come to Minnesota, and believe he has potential to be a good WR, I am not biting on the Megatron stuff. I didn't quite see Megatron in the Highlight vid posted above. I don't know that he'll be able to outrun NFL DB's as easily as he was in that clip. That said, Duron could add an element to the Vikes WR corps that was missing. He's a tall receiver with good body control and good hands who can go up and make the tough catch. He's supposed to be a good route runner too, given who his dad is I'm sure he's been drilled to death on the fine points of route running and getting open.

3. As much as some argue that The Vikes need a true number 1 WR, I don't know. Teddy seems to be the kind of QB who is going to spread it around to the best option on a given play, and not get caught up in having a "go to guy". Given that I think building a complete WR unit might be a better route than finding 1 guy to be the man. It would help greatly to have that kind of WR, I just don't know that it's absolutely necessary.

4. I doubt Jennings is going anywhere this year. He's definitely overpaid, that's not negotiable. However, he's still a valuable vet presence in a young WR corps. Also, there's a method to cutting overpaid vets, there has to be a clear financial benefit for the team. If the numbers I've seen are correct cutting Jennings right now wouldn't provide a big enough savings because he still has quite a bit of guaranteed money on his deal. Letting him go free up some room, but it would also create a lot if dead money so rather than saving 11 million, they'd probably only save 4-5 million. Considering they would then have to replace him... It just doesn't add up right now.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

nightowl wrote:3. As much as some argue that The Vikes need a true number 1 WR, I don't know. Teddy seems to be the kind of QB who is going to spread it around to the best option on a given play, and not get caught up in having a "go to guy". Given that I think building a complete WR unit might be a better route than finding 1 guy to be the man. It would help greatly to have that kind of WR, I just don't know that it's absolutely necessary.
I agree. The Vikings need depth and consistency from their entire WR corps more than one standout guy. As it is now, the Vikings have speed and potential among their relatively young WRs. While it might be nice to have that one guy who makes circus catches at critical moments, it would be even better to have a group of quality receivers on the field at all times, in my view. It gives Teddy more targets, and I agree that he likes to spread it around.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

losperros wrote: I agree. The Vikings need depth and consistency from their entire WR corps more than one standout guy. As it is now, the Vikings have speed and potential among their relatively young WRs. While it might be nice to have that one guy who makes circus catches at critical moments, it would be even better to have a group of quality receivers on the field at all times, in my view. It gives Teddy more targets, and I agree that he likes to spread it around.
I agree with this as well... It seems like a lot of teams have a stud at WR but don't have powerful, over the top offenses. Megatron and Dez Bryant come to mind. The offenses are good, but nothinf that is going to cause nightmares against a top defense like Baltimore or Detroit. A big reason the Vikings were so successful back in the late 90s and early 2000s is because you couldnt just shut one player down and stop the offense. Hexck, Xavier Rhodes shut Jordy Nelson and Megatron down and both teams had trouble moving the ball against the Vikings,who statistically had only a just above average defense.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018