Greg Jennings takes Cordarrelle Patterson under wing

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Ardenn
Backup

Re: Greg Jennings takes Cordarrelle Patterson under wing

Post by Ardenn »

Purple bruise wrote:I will stand behind Patterson. He has all the skills and size to be an All-Pro receiver. I really like Jennings and his attitude, he reminds me a whole lot of Cris Carter on and off the field, maybe not quite as good of hands as Cris but pretty dam close.
I hope that he does take CP "under his wing" just like CC did with Moss. I see great things in store for their relationship and it's outcome with CP's development :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I don't see a Cris Carter comparison at all. One of the knocks against Patterson has been somewhat "meh" hands. Hell, he just caused an int because he couldn't haul in a catchable ball. That was a timing thing - an anticipation throw - and we as fans don't know if Teddy poorly timed the throw, or if Patterson was a little off on the timing of his route. Regardless, he could have caught it, but couldn't.
Patterson is more of a freak athlete that should be busting open coverages using speed and breaking ability, like TY Hilton. He isn't doing that right now, largely because he lacks route running ability, which is all mental/work ethic stuff. He could be a great receiver if he works hard, but that's on him. I don't think he stays past next season if he doesn't buckle down and practice, practice, practice.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Jennings is a high character guy which is why they wanted him to sign. He is big on work ethic and details, exactly the kind of pro we want CP learning from.

For the guys down on Jennings, is his low productivity a result of his making poor plays or because of poor QB? Jennings makes the tough catches and he does a great job of getting his feet down on the sidelines. He doesn’t have Megatron Talent, of that there is no doubt, but he does all the little stuff to be the best player he can be. Rarely is he a guy who makes a mistake that costs his team.

In terms of salary cap, I think people are being overly simplistic with his number. Part of that contract is supply and demand. When we signed him who else was on the team to take those snaps? Who else was there in the FA market? Things have now changed, but the Vikings have the luxury of some cap space given the youth on the roster at this position. If he is going to try and work with CP84, then I see pay the man.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Ardenn
Backup

Post by Ardenn »

mansquatch wrote:Jennings is a high character guy which is why they wanted him to sign. He is big on work ethic and details, exactly the kind of pro we want CP learning from.

For the guys down on Jennings, is his low productivity a result of his making poor plays or because of poor QB? Jennings makes the tough catches and he does a great job of getting his feet down on the sidelines. He doesn’t have Megatron Talent, of that there is no doubt, but he does all the little stuff to be the best player he can be. Rarely is he a guy who makes a mistake that costs his team.

In terms of salary cap, I think people are being overly simplistic with his number. Part of that contract is supply and demand. When we signed him who else was on the team to take those snaps? Who else was there in the FA market? Things have now changed, but the Vikings have the luxury of some cap space given the youth on the roster at this position. If he is going to try and work with CP84, then I see pay the man.
The Teddy -> Jennings connection improved to close the season, I think he's becoming what we wanted him to be when we signed him. We finally have a QB that can get him the ball and he's making plays with it. I say keep him.

Edit: I went and checked the stats, and its actually been a pretty straight line through the season. At least he is reliable. I think if you question whether or not you cut him, the question to ask is, what do you do with the money?
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

You know DeMarco Murray had 2 less catches then Jennings all year? He is getting paid enough to be the 75+ catch's a year, not to be a WR coach.

Hard for the coaches to leave CP on the field when he doesn't know how to play the WR position. Maybe someone should teach CP how to play CB. Has almost as good of chance as happened as him becoming a WR that someone from a PS cant beat out of a job.
Teddy needs a real honest to god WR. The best out there when it becomes our time to draft. Not someone who went to a Jennings Summer Camp for WRs, held in Green Bay.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Ardenn wrote: I don't see a Cris Carter comparison at all. One of the knocks against Patterson has been somewhat "meh" hands. Hell, he just caused an int because he couldn't haul in a catchable ball. That was a timing thing - an anticipation throw - and we as fans don't know if Teddy poorly timed the throw, or if Patterson was a little off on the timing of his route. Regardless, he could have caught it, but couldn't.
Patterson is more of a freak athlete that should be busting open coverages using speed and breaking ability, like TY Hilton. He isn't doing that right now, largely because he lacks route running ability, which is all mental/work ethic stuff. He could be a great receiver if he works hard, but that's on him. I don't think he stays past next season if he doesn't buckle down and practice, practice, practice.
Try reading the post :roll: I said that JENNINGS reminds me of CC.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

The end of season when he spoke through up red flags to me .. Calls himself Flash and Bling Bling
I am not so sure that in his mind he already thinks he is an NFL star.. Maybe he should call himself
pine butt instead. A practice team player took your playing time .. TWEET That Flash
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:You know DeMarco Murray had 2 less catches then Jennings all year? He is getting paid enough to be the 75+ catch's a year, not to be a WR coach.

Hard for the coaches to leave CP on the field when he doesn't know how to play the WR position. Maybe someone should teach CP how to play CB. Has almost as good of chance as happened as him becoming a WR that someone from a PS cant beat out of a job.
Teddy needs a real honest to god WR. The best out there when it becomes our time to draft. Not someone who went to a Jennings Summer Camp for WRs, held in Green Bay.

Ok, then let's see your GM plan for this team. Right here, right now. Start another thread if you want. I am sick of your (and some others) constant hate for the Vikings. I wish you would all stop watching the team if it is so painful for you.

I am patiently waiting for your plan if you were the GM for the Vikings.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Ok, then let's see your GM plan for this team. Right here, right now. Start another thread if you want. I am sick of your (and some others) constant hate for the Vikings. I wish you would all stop watching the team if it is so painful for you.

Just foe him and do not waste the effort.
Last edited by Purple bruise on Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleMustReign wrote:

I've tried this multiple times over the past year or two and have never gotten any kind of plan back. He'll just continue to criticize Spielman when in all honesty, he doesn't have a better solution himself. Just giving you a heads up.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

After listening to Access Vikings, they provided some interesting information on Patterson and what his problem has been. Apparently, there has been no attitudinal incidents and his effort isn't lacking. In fact, he is well liked by both the team and the coaches. And it appears as if all of them are pulling for him to succeed.

Unfortunately, as predicted my some on the board, the problem seems to be Patterson comprehending the needs of the WR position, or at least as the Vikings want him to. It's not unfair for the Vikings to want Patterson to mentally absorb the intricacies that are in the system. I have watched this kid since he played for Tennessee and everything he's done thus far has been due to his incomparable athleticism. Now he has to apply the science of the game, and apparently it's not happening.

Zimmer's frustration is that he knows how good Patterson could be. But he doesn't know how good he will be.

For those not hating on Patterson and more interested in the team developing a real talent, it's great news that Jennings has stepped up to mentor Patterson. Jennings is an experienced and knowledgeable receiver that can give CP some necessary insight.

Folks, I'm telling you, as fans we should be patient and hopeful that Patterson can bring his skill-set to the field next season. It will add necessary horsepower to the offense in a big way. If Patterson simply cannot do it, then he probably won't be able to make it long in the NFL.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

PurpleMustReign wrote:

You #### about the Vikings all the time yourself. And then #### about the ####. Do you have one of these game plans? No? Because you are not a GM maybe? But were I GM, I would get a good WR first of all. Someone teddy can rely on, someone that knows the position and can become great. I would also get a CB (don't know what plan Captain is on, but once his contract is up, I'd drop him like a bad habit, and find a decent slot/nickel CB). Id find someone to replace Johnson (G), something that should have been done YEARS ago. And Id get a safety and tackle in the late rounds. I have a whole other plan for FAs too. Like a good RB. One that doesn't include way over paid receivers, horrible slot/nickel corners. Get over yourself think because you don't #### as much as some (which you do) that's your a better fan. That got old about 25 years ago. As for PB, his 2 ideas of QBs for us lately have been Ponder and JFB....
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Purple bruise wrote: I will stand behind Patterson. He has all the skills and size to be an All-Pro receiver. I really like Jennings and his attitude, he reminds me a whole lot of Cris Carter on and off the field, maybe not quite as good of hands as Cris but pretty dam close.
I hope that he does take CP "under his wing" just like CC did with Moss. I see great things in store for their relationship and it's outcome with CP's development :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Nothing personal PB, but take a GJ and a CPX2 and you don't have half a CC, on the field or off. Sorry, my opinion would never be waivered there. I don't ever remember seeing GJ lay out for passes the way CC did on a regular basis. I know you only said reminded you of CC but, eeesh. I really never thought of GJ that way. If he was a good mentor, he should of done this at the start of this past season. I know you cant make the horse drink the water so now that CP is at least now at the watering hole, let's see how much he drinks in.
I am skeptical, on both ends. I would definitely like to see it happen, mainly because I am tired of these draft busts.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

losperros wrote:After listening to Access Vikings, they provided some interesting information on Patterson and what his problem has been. Apparently, there has been no attitudinal incidents and his effort isn't lacking. In fact, he is well liked by both the team and the coaches. And it appears as if all of them are pulling for him to succeed.

Unfortunately, as predicted my some on the board, the problem seems to be Patterson comprehending the needs of the WR position, or at least as the Vikings want him to. It's not unfair for the Vikings to want Patterson to mentally absorb the intricacies that are in the system. I have watched this kid since he played for Tennessee and everything he's done thus far has been due to his incomparable athleticism. Now he has to apply the science of the game, and apparently it's not happening.

Zimmer's frustration is that he knows how good Patterson could be. But he doesn't know how good he will be.

For those not hating on Patterson and more interested in the team developing a real talent, it's great news that Jennings has stepped up to mentor Patterson. Jennings is an experienced and knowledgeable receiver that can give CP some necessary insight.

Folks, I'm telling you, as fans we should be patient and hopeful that Patterson can bring his skill-set to the field next season. It will add necessary horsepower to the offense in a big way. If Patterson simply cannot do it, then he probably won't be able to make it long in the NFL.
Excellent post :rock:

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

losperros wrote:After listening to Access Vikings, they provided some interesting information on Patterson and what his problem has been. Apparently, there has been no attitudinal incidents and his effort isn't lacking. In fact, he is well liked by both the team and the coaches. And it appears as if all of them are pulling for him to succeed.

Good, informative post. Thanks for that.

It's really interesting. We talk a lot about how Charles Johnson replaced CP as a starter. And Johnson did a good job. But have you guys noticed that Johnson cannot make anyone miss once he catches the ball? He just can't. Meanwhile, while CP may be slow in his development as a WR, he has instincts with the ball that are pure magic.

That ability makes it imperative that we give this kid every opportunity. If he can ever figure it out, he'll be an absolute nightmare. Here's hoping Jennings can help the light come on for CP.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Good, informative post. Thanks for that.

It's really interesting. We talk a lot about how Charles Johnson replaced CP as a starter. And Johnson did a good job. But have you guys noticed that Johnson cannot make anyone miss once he catches the ball? He just can't. Meanwhile, while CP may be slow in his development as a WR, he has instincts with the ball that are pure magic.

That ability makes it imperative that we give this kid every opportunity. If he can ever figure it out, he'll be an absolute nightmare. Here's hoping Jennings can help the light come on for CP.
You're very welcome. Yes, I've notice that Johnson has impressive straight line speed but his ability to weave in and out of traffic is probably only average. Patterson can wiggle his way through crowds and has exceptional field vision.

What Access Vikings reported clears a bunch of stuff up, in my view. I now understand Zimmer's frustration and why he keeps saying that Patterson can be a good football player. The talent is evident. But CP needs to be a student of the game, and not flunk out in his effort. That's why I think Jennings, who is a smart player, could be the right mentor for Patterson.