Greg Jennings takes Cordarrelle Patterson under wing

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Greg Jennings takes Cordarrelle Patterson under wing

Post by Mothman »

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_27 ... under-wing
Jennings wants to do workouts and film study with Patterson during the offseason.
"I want him to see himself on film because he does a lot of things great, but there's some things that he has to tweak in his game to allow him to be the player he has expectations of being," Jennings said. "That's a big part of this game, being able to mentally overcome a season like this. It's going to be a challenge. We're going to see if he has the resolve. I believe he does, but it's up to him to show the resolve and to bounce back."
More at the link.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Greg Jennings takes Cordarrelle Patterson under wing

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Good luck to Jennings on that. I hope he can work a miracle, but I just don't see it happening.

Patterson = Josh Cribbs. A good KR, maybe good for a gadget play here or there on offense, but that's it.

I hope I am wrong.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Not aim this at anyone in particular. But I'll go on record saying this now, there are going to be a lot of people who will eat their words about Patterson next year. I have faith in this kid, it's only a matter of time. Call me a homer, call me crazy, whatever. I believe we have the QB and coaches to make it happen, his talent will come through
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

saint33 wrote:Not aim this at anyone in particular. But I'll go on record saying this now, there are going to be a lot of people who will eat their words about Patterson next year. I have faith in this kid, it's only a matter of time. Call me a homer, call me crazy, whatever. I believe we have the QB and coaches to make it happen, his talent will come through
I'll go on record Norv will give him another chance, and CP will toss it away. Should have to make specific plays for a WR. Wright doesn't need then, Thielen doesn't need them, Johnson doesn't need them. Why continue wasting our time on a WR hasn't shown ANY improvement as a WR yet?
kurtkeoki
Backup

Post by kurtkeoki »

I'm skeptical. I didn't like the Patterson pick at the time, although I was excited by his upside. I just don't think he has the work ethic or intelligence to play WR in the NFL. He has shown absolutely nothing this year. Johnson has been a nice surprise, Jennings is dependable, and Wright has looked good and has upside, but come on, if Patterson can't crack this WR rotation he isn't very good. I hope to be proven wrong and I certainly don't think it's time to give up on Patterson, but I'm not very hopeful that he becomes a star NFL WR.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I love Jennings, man. Great leader and still a very good receiver. I think this is great. And if he doesn't improve after an offseason with Jennings then he may never learn, however, I'm on the side that still thinks he can be a very good playmaker at receiver for the long-term. Can't wait to see how it pans out.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PacificNorseWest wrote:I love Jennings, man. Great leader and still a very good receiver. I think this is great. And if he doesn't improve after an offseason with Jennings then he may never learn, however, I'm on the side that still thinks he can be a very good playmaker at receiver for the long-term. Can't wait to see how it pans out.
I agree. That just shows what kind of guy Jennings is and I feel like Patterson is willing. He has said multiple times that he looks up to Jennings. It's Pattersons 4th offense in 4 years. It will definitely work out in his favor that Turner will be back next year.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote: I'll go on record Norv will give him another chance, and CP will toss it away. Should have to make specific plays for a WR. Wright doesn't need then, Thielen doesn't need them, Johnson doesn't need them. Why continue wasting our time on a WR hasn't shown ANY improvement as a WR yet?
Just curious as to why you say Thielen?? Because he had his first TD of his career today?? He's been our #5 WR all year. He has 8 catches all year, 3 that came today and 4 came in a blowout/garbage time vs GB.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Just curious as to why you say Thielen?? Because he had his first TD of his career today?? He's been our #5 WR all year. He has 8 catches all year, 3 that came today and 4 came in a blowout/garbage time vs GB.
Because he had 1 chance to play more then 1 series today and did great. How many games like that did CP have? Heck they were trying to make up plays for him to touch the ball and they couldn't . But if the sun is out, or the ball doesn't fall perfectly in his hands, hes not going to make a reception.

Do you really not see the decline of CP this year, and how Thielen played well when give the chance? Or do you just continually fight and argue if someone doesn't agree with you. CP didn't have much experience as a WR coming into the NFL. IMHO we should have picked a WR with more experience at the position he was getting drafted at. Maybe more experience then 1 year at TN. Rick rolled the dice, and to, it looks like he lost. And quit exaggerating my 'man crush' on Thielen. I thought he played good during the preseason, and wanted to see more during the regular season. Exp. With CP not doing well.

On a side not, Im not so sure Jennings throwing anyone under his wing is a good thing. He is first and foremost a Packer :D But really, his best days, as a WR, are behind him. His is getting into the area, even though he is making a trillion dollars a year, where he might make a better coach. He caught 59 balls this year. A RB caught 57.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Because he had 1 chance to play more then 1 series today and did great. How many games like that did CP have? Heck they were trying to make up plays for him to touch the ball and they couldn't . But if the sun is out, or the ball doesn't fall perfectly in his hands, hes not going to make a reception.

Do you really not see the decline of CP this year, and how Thielen played well when give the chance? Or do you just continually fight and argue if someone doesn't agree with you. CP didn't have much experience as a WR coming into the NFL. IMHO we should have picked a WR with more experience at the position he was getting drafted at. Maybe more experience then 1 year at TN. Rick rolled the dice, and to, it looks like he lost. And quit exaggerating my 'man crush' on Thielen. I thought he played good during the preseason, and wanted to see more during the regular season. Exp. With CP not doing well.

On a side not, Im not so sure Jennings throwing anyone under his wing is a good thing. He is first and foremost a Packer :D But really, his best days, as a WR, are behind him. His is getting into the area, even though he is making a trillion dollars a year, where he might make a better coach. He caught 59 balls this year. A RB caught 57.
He literally ran a go route and Chicago blew the coverage. It was nothing spectacular by any means. Teddy put it right on him. Are you honestly going to sit there and tell me that if that was Patterson in Thielen's position, he wouldn't have made that play??? If so thats a joke. I've called Thielen your man crush in previous weeks because you have gone out and said Thielen was better than some of the WRs on our roster and you literally have zero proof of that. Jarius Wright has done what Thielen did today multiple times and you have knocked Wright for how long now?? Rodney Smith has had better preseasons than Thielen has had and he is gone and still sitting on Clevelands practice squad. What a guy does is preseasons means very little. So when you go out there and claim Thielen is better than what we have, of course I am going to call you out on it because its another post with no backing,

Regarding Patterson, what did I say today in that game thread?? That Patterson's route running had nothing to do with the INT, the ball was thrown behind him, however it was somewhat catchable. What did you do?? Jump down my throat for "defending" Patterson. I never once was defending him. I was simply speaking reality. But I am the one that "fights and argues"?? Give me a break. I have never defended the year he is having. He was outplayed by Johnson no doubt but you just continue to put words in my mouth. Bottom line is, Patterson is now on your crap list just like "Ricky", Robison, Munnerlyn, Joseph, Jennings, etc. are and all you are going to do is shred them repeatedly in 90% of the posts you make, beating dead horses, and continuing your over exaggerations. I've seen it plenty of times with you. Week in and week out, the first thing that doesn't go your way, you turn sour on here. I'm actually glad the season is finally over. However, I'll just go back to what I originally did and foe you. I doubt I'll be losing any sleep over it.
-Chazz Palminteri
MusicCityViking
Backup

Post by MusicCityViking »

I think signing Jennings was one of the best things this team has done in the past few years, and this is evidence why. His level of experience he brings to this young team is extremely valuable. I really hope he teaches Patterson a few lessons this offseason that can help him to become a decent WR. Patterson's rookie season was a promising one, so I hope he can return to playing like he did back then.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

MusicCityViking wrote:I think signing Jennings was one of the best things this team has done in the past few years, and this is evidence why. His level of experience he brings to this young team is extremely valuable. I really hope he teaches Patterson a few lessons this offseason that can help him to become a decent WR. Patterson's rookie season was a promising one, so I hope he can return to playing like he did back then.
I agree. I never expected Jennings to set the world on fire here. I still think he is payed too much but he is a very valuable guy to have. He is one of the best route runners in the league, has great hands, great leadership, posted 6 TDs for us this year (should have been 7 yesterday), and is a class act. I don't see any way we let him go this year.
-Chazz Palminteri
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

saint33 wrote:Not aim this at anyone in particular. But I'll go on record saying this now, there are going to be a lot of people who will eat their words about Patterson next year. I have faith in this kid, it's only a matter of time. Call me a homer, call me crazy, whatever. I believe we have the QB and coaches to make it happen, his talent will come through
I will stand behind Patterson. He has all the skills and size to be an All-Pro receiver. I really like Jennings and his attitude, he reminds me a whole lot of Cris Carter on and off the field, maybe not quite as good of hands as Cris but pretty dam close.
I hope that he does take CP "under his wing" just like CC did with Moss. I see great things in store for their relationship and it's outcome with CP's development :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Welsh Vike
Starter

Post by Welsh Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: He literally ran a go route and Chicago blew the coverage. It was nothing spectacular by any means. Teddy put it right on him. Are you honestly going to sit there and tell me that if that was Patterson in Thielen's position, he wouldn't have made that play??? If so thats a joke. I've called Thielen your man crush in previous weeks because you have gone out and said Thielen was better than some of the WRs on our roster and you literally have zero proof of that. Jarius Wright has done what Thielen did today multiple times and you have knocked Wright for how long now?? Rodney Smith has had better preseasons than Thielen has had and he is gone and still sitting on Clevelands practice squad. What a guy does is preseasons means very little. So when you go out there and claim Thielen is better than what we have, of course I am going to call you out on it because its another post with no backing,

Regarding Patterson, what did I say today in that game thread?? That Patterson's route running had nothing to do with the INT, the ball was thrown behind him, however it was somewhat catchable. What did you do?? Jump down my throat for "defending" Patterson. I never once was defending him. I was simply speaking reality. But I am the one that "fights and argues"?? Give me a break. I have never defended the year he is having. He was outplayed by Johnson no doubt but you just continue to put words in my mouth. Bottom line is, Patterson is now on your crap list just like "Ricky", Robison, Munnerlyn, Joseph, Jennings, etc. are and all you are going to do is shred them repeatedly in 90% of the posts you make, beating dead horses, and continuing your over exaggerations. I've seen it plenty of times with you. Week in and week out, the first thing that doesn't go your way, you turn sour on here. I'm actually glad the season is finally over. However, I'll just go back to what I originally did and foe you. I doubt I'll be losing any sleep over it.
Don't foe him. I said elsewhere that I enjoy your little battles and its true. You both bring relentless energy - one of you sometimes overly positive and the other sometimes overly negative - but you feed off each other's point of view, both of which often have merit. The board needs more of you both, not less. :D
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

There seems to be a lot of chatter about the Vikings possibly cutting Jennings. I hope we keep him even with his contract. He's obviously accepted the role of team mentor (first to Teddy and now to Patterson) and Teddy found some chemistry with him throughout the season.

I'm down on Patterson right now but Jennings mentoring Patterson sounds great to me. Jennings has all the skills that Patterson doesn't have quite yet (route running, sure hands, motor) so it makes sense! WRs typically take a few years to transition into the NFL and, with his limited experience pre-NFL, it makes sense that Patterson's learning curve will take a bit longer. With his time spent at JUCO and only one year at Tennessee, next year is kinda his "rookie" year in terms of actual WR experience since most stud WRs spend 2-3 years in their college system.

Draft a WR somewhere between rounds 1-3 and we'll be good going forward with:

Jennings
Johnson
Patterson
Wright
Draft pick

If Patterson doesn't develop into a #1 threat, maybe the draft pick WR can. If either guy becomes THE guy, the rest of the WR squad is solid.