Charles Johnson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Charles Johnson

Post by 720pete »

Bring back Greg Childs!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

720pete wrote:Bring back Greg Childs!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
Wait, are you trying to draw a comparison between the two, or the "folk hero" following that Childs seemed to inspire in fans? There's a difference: one's put up some pretty solid numbers in actual games. Is it early? Yes. But he looks great so far; nothing wrong with being excited about that.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

losperros wrote: Patterson has his #### in gear. He showed that during his good KR late in the game. He just can't get touches. That one is on Norv.

Johnson is an exciting player. The Vikings should try more 4WR sets with Johnson, Jennings, Wright, and Patterson. That's a lot of speed on the field and could develop into some big plays.
CP is out #4 WR and you are blaming Norv? Or can CP only concept gimmick plays? If he can run route (which he hadn't really done until it was almost too late yesterday) you think Norv will have him sitting on the bench? Because Norv doesn't like him? Because he wants the Vikings to lose? The guy cant get off the line, and runs poor routes. That's why they brought Charlie Johnson here.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Imagine then Johnson opposite an Amari Cooper or more realistic, Devante Parker...
We could let Jennings slide into the slot where he belongs. WR would be strength!
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Imagine then Johnson opposite an Amari Cooper or more realistic, Devante Parker...
We could let Jennings slide into the slot where he belongs. WR would be strength!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

IIsweet wrote:Imagine then Johnson opposite an Amari Cooper or more realistic, Devante Parker...

The first time you posted it I was excited... the second just blew my mind! :v):

I'd love Cooper in Purple.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:CP is out #4 WR and you are blaming Norv?
Yes. Unless something else is amiss, such as a health problem. Personally, I thought Patterson looked very quick on the long kick return, so I don't think he's hurt.
PurpleKoolaid wrote: Or can CP only concept gimmick plays?
Moot point. Norv runs gimmick plays, reverses, WR screens, etc. I'm saying Patterson should be more involved with those.
PurpleKoolaid wrote:If he can run route (which he hadn't really done until it was almost too late yesterday) you think Norv will have him sitting on the bench?
I think that's what we're presently witnessing. I just don't happen to agree with it, though I do still like Norv Turner a lot.
PurpleKoolaid wrote: Because Norv doesn't like him? Because he wants the Vikings to lose?
I don't know. Neither do you. None of us have an inside track to what goes on behind closed doors with the Vikings. Only Norv really knows what he's thinking. Whatever the thought process is, I hope he opens his mind and gives Patterson more touches.
PurpleKoolaid wrote:The guy cant get off the line, and runs poor routes. That's why they brought Charlie Johnson here.
Patterson helped the Vikings a lot late last season. I don't believe he lost all that talent, so I'd like to see him utilized more often.

I doubt that Charles Johnson was brought to the team to be a #2WR. I like Johnson and have no problem with him, though he's far from being a perfect wide out. Johnson being on the field helps the other WRs, including Patterson. I believe Patterson's abilities on the field would help Johnson in turn. I don't buy that only one of them should or could be used during a game.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Moot point. Norv runs gimmick plays, reverses, WR screens, etc. I'm saying Patterson should be more involved with those.
Hard to do when defenses know they can get up and be physical with him. Making it much more difficult to run any sort of "gimmick" play. It's a lot easier when a defense has to play off for fear of getting beat deep, or being beat off the line. He's a one trick pony, and it's a pretty easy trick to figure out. And teams figured it out. Norv realized it, and isn't banging his head against that wall anymore.

Hopefully Patterson gets his #### straight, or we move him to a team that's willing to put up with a quasi-WR. Seahawks have an opening...
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Demi wrote:Hard to do when defenses know they can get up and be physical with him. Making it much more difficult to run any sort of "gimmick" play. It's a lot easier when a defense has to play off for fear of getting beat deep, or being beat off the line. He's a one trick pony, and it's a pretty easy trick to figure out. And teams figured it out. Norv realized it, and isn't banging his head against that wall anymore..
I almost wish that really was the case and the explanation was that simple. Then it would explain why a player who can be used in a number of ways, therefore making him anything but a one-trick pony, can't get on the field. Good to hear that Norv isn't banging his head against the wall anymore, though.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

losperros wrote: I almost wish that really was the case and the explanation was that simple. Then it would explain why a player who can be used in a number of ways, therefore making him anything but a one-trick pony, can't get on the field. Good to hear that Norv isn't banging his head against the wall anymore, though.
Good point LP. I agree. He needs to be utilized more
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I want go to a Packer site and say thank you for the Draft pick..... Ha Ha
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

jackal wrote:I want go to a Packer site and say thank you for the Draft pick..... Ha Ha
I'm sure they aren't too upset, considering all the WR talent they have. No way he would have even gotten a chance. The only was he was gonna be able to show anything was with a team like the Vikings.

This is why I always say, never leave a stone unturned. There have been countless NFL players throughout history, who if they had been given a chance would have showed greatness. Think of Warner bagging groceries, or Unitas being released by the Steelers and on the street. Or closer to home, the Johnny Randle story. If Holmgren hadn't traded for Favre, he might have been a 5 year backup and moved on to car salesman.
This space available for rent.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... e50e8618e9

Johnson's interview. It stuck out to me when he said that first INT wasn't Teddy's fault at all. He said if wasn't tripped up he would have had no problem catching it
Yet some still swear it was a horrible pass.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Yet some still swear it was a horrible pass.
To me that is what I saw as well. Teddy thought Johnson was going to be there and he got slowed down.
The second INT I thought was Teddy being frustrated and trying too hard. I am not sure if it was the very
pass but it was shortly after it. I think sometimes some Vikings enjoy the Vikings blunders than success's.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

jackal wrote:I think sometimes some Vikings fans enjoy the Vikings blunders than success's.
I agree jackal and honestly, I've never understood why that is
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri