The bye week is over

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

The bye week is over

Post by Mothman »

Maybe this will kick-start some discussion:

Zimmer wants Vikings to avoid bye week hangover
Mike Zimmer didn’t carry his team-issued iPad into the woods when a bye week finally allowed him to go hunting. But he did spend some of the past few nights off lounging in front of the wood-burning stove in his barn, scrolling through cut-ups of game tape of both his Vikings and their upcoming opponents.

While Zimmer’s mind didn’t stray far from his team, it seems even coaches need a break from the grind, too.

“He told us [last week] his plan was to get away from here and get away from us,” safety Harrison Smith said. “Then [he told us], ‘Come back and be ready to go.’ ”

Zimmer, sitting in front of that fire, was eager to see if his young team would listen.

Dating to organized team activities in the spring, he noticed an unwelcome trend with the Vikings whenever they got extended time away from Winter Park. His players lacked focus when they came back into the building, and that wasted precious time because Zimmer had to bring them back up to his speed.

So when the players walked back into the building on Monday morning for the first time in six days, Zimmer reminded them again that he hoped not to see many mental miscues during practice.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: The bye week is over

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Personally, I'm glad the bye week is over. Last weekend was SO BORING. I have NFL Sunday Ticket, and I just kept flipping channels, looking for a game worth watching. I couldn't find one. Now we're stuck with incredibly mundane on-air conversations about incredibly mundane teams, including watching Skip Brainless pontificate on ESPN about how Mark Sanchez isn't really any good.

Let's get the Vikings -- complete with two-game winning streak -- back on the field against a Bears team that is absolutely circling the drain. Let's restore a sense of sanity!

On the good news front, on Mike & Mike this morning, they were talking playoff possibilities. The Vikings, at 4-5, were listed as an "in the hunt" team. Is that a stretch? Sure. But a refreshing stretch!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:On the good news front, on Mike & Mike this morning, they were talking playoff possibilities. The Vikings, at 4-5, were listed as an "in the hunt" team. Is that a stretch? Sure. But a refreshing stretch!
What I'm hoping is that the Vikings will continue to improve as the season goes on. Rudolph is coming back, Teddy is getting experience, and maybe even AD might be back sometime in December (which I think will actually free Patterson up for some big plays). I know that's a lot of maybes, but we are seeing some remarkable improvement from the team. Heck, look at what the D has been able to do.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Personally, I'm glad the bye week is over. Last weekend was SO BORING. I have NFL Sunday Ticket, and I just kept flipping channels, looking for a game worth watching. I couldn't find one. Now we're stuck with incredibly mundane on-air conversations about incredibly mundane teams, including watching Skip Brainless pontificate on ESPN about how Mark Sanchez isn't really any good.

Let's get the Vikings -- complete with two-game winning streak -- back on the field against a Bears team that is absolutely circling the drain. Let's restore a sense of sanity!

On the good news front, on Mike & Mike this morning, they were talking playoff possibilities. The Vikings, at 4-5, were listed as an "in the hunt" team. Is that a stretch? Sure. But a refreshing stretch!
Indeed. It's nice to still be "in the hunt" after 9 games.
losperros wrote: What I'm hoping is that the Vikings will continue to improve as the season goes on. Rudolph is coming back, Teddy is getting experience, and maybe even AD might be back sometime in December (which I think will actually free Patterson up for some big plays). I know that's a lot of maybes, but we are seeing some remarkable improvement from the team. Heck, look at what the D has been able to do.
They need to keep it up. As I see it, these next two games are crucial. The Bears are in disarray and the Vikes can't be the team that helps them break out of it. Bears fans are immensely frustrated right now and their team still hasn't won at home this year. The Vikes need to jump out to an early lead on Sunday and take the crowd out of it.

Then, when GB comes to town a week later, we should get a real idea of just how much the defense has improved.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: On the good news front, on Mike & Mike this morning, they were talking playoff possibilities. The Vikings, at 4-5, were listed as an "in the hunt" team. Is that a stretch? Sure. But a refreshing stretch!
Looking at the remaining schedule, I really don't think it's that big of a stretch as we benefit from a last place schedule. Looking at the remaining teams, it looks like there will only be 2 teams that will have a winning record when we play them, the Pack and Lions. The Dolphins currently have a winning record (5-4) but I doubt they will by the time we play them looking at the teams they have yet to play (Bills, Broncos, Jets, Ravens, Patriots). The Panthers looked horrible last night and while the Jets beat the Steelers this past week we are still a better team. And the Bears appear to have mailed in their season already. I can very easily see us finish with a 9-7 record which could be good enough for a wild card. It could be possible that all our wins come against teams with losing records this year, which of course would not bode well come playoff time.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Five Vikings stats that stand out for Week 11
52.2 — red-zone touchdown percentage for the Vikings offense in 2014.

The Vikings were a perfect three-for-three in the red zone in the win over the Redskins, with running back Matt Asiata barreling into the end zone for touchdowns on each of their trips inside the 20. It was an unfamiliar but welcome sight for the Vikings, who have struggled to score touchdowns in the red zone without running back Adrian Peterson and tight end Kyle Rudolph. The Vikings now rank 24th in the NFL with a red-zone touchdown percentage of 52.2. We don’t know if Peterson will be back anytime soon, but getting Rudolph back will certainly help.
http://blog.startribune.com/sports/acce ... or-week-11
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Five Vikings stats that stand out for Week 11
http://blog.startribune.com/sports/acce ... or-week-11
I hope the Vikes don't read this:
The Bears were outscored, 106-37, in their past two games, allowing 51 points to the Patriots three weeks ago then, after their bye, another 55 against the Packers. When was the last time a team allowed 50-plus points in consecutive games? It was the Rochester Jeffersons in 1923. They folded after four games. The Bears may have already folded mentally and emotionally, but they will still show up Sunday. That’s good news for a Vikings team that ranks 26th in scoring.
That's dangerous thinking. It's still the NFL. The Bears look like they've mailed it in but they also allowed that ridiculous number of points to the Pats and Packers, two of the hottest offenses in the league. If they have any pride left, they have to be looking at the Vikings game as a chance to pull their season off the trash heap. If they play like a disheartened team that's quit on their coach, the Vikes might romp but if the Vikes don't come in prepared to take Chicago's best shot, they could wind up 4-6 in a hurry. I think Zimmer will be making that point all week and hopefully, it will sink in. As I see it, this is a pivotal game for the Vikings season.
purpletinted66
Starter

Post by purpletinted66 »

^plus they're 0-3 at soldier field so far this year - i doubt they have ever dropped 4 home games in a row.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:
I hope the Vikes don't read this:
That's dangerous thinking. It's still the NFL. The Bears look like they've mailed it in but they also allowed that ridiculous number of points to the Pats and Packers, two of the hottest offenses in the league. If they have any pride left, they have to be looking at the Vikings game as a chance to pull their season off the trash heap. If they play like a disheartened team that's quit on their coach, the Vikes might romp but if the Vikes don't come in prepared to take Chicago's best shot, they could wind up 4-6 in a hurry. I think Zimmer will be making that point all week and hopefully, it will sink in. As I see it, this is a pivotal game for the Vikings season.

I'm a bit concerned about this too, Jim. I seriously doubt many NFL defenses would look good playing back-to-back games against the Pats and Packers offenses.

That said, the Vikings have won a couple in a row now and I'm hoping the momentum works for them. If the Vikings can beat Chicago and then come back home and beat the Pack, that could really get them fired up. Obviously, it would be a big step for the Vikings regarding making the playoffs.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

purpletinted66 wrote:^plus they're 0-3 at soldier field so far this year - i doubt they have ever dropped 4 home games in a row.
They have, but it's been awhile.

The Bears were 1-13 in 1969, the last time they lost four in a row at home.

In all likelihood, the Chicago media has already pointed out the potential for a record streak of futility. I think it's safe to say they'll be motivated to avoid making such dubious history.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: They have, but it's been awhile.

The Bears were 1-13 in 1969, the last time they lost four in a row at home.

In all likelihood, the Chicago media has already pointed out the potential for a record streak of futility. I think it's safe to say they'll be motivated to avoid making such dubious history.
Oh, yes, it has definitely been pointed out.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Personally, I'm glad the bye week is over. Last weekend was SO BORING.
To paraphrase Bill Burr from his podcast the other morning: "Bye week is like a preview of how it will feel like when your team doesn't make the playoffs and you have to sit around watching all the other fans have a great time".

More or less, that was the idea. He probably phrased it better. :lol:
-Rus
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Rus wrote: To paraphrase Bill Burr from his podcast the other morning: "Bye week is like a preview of how it will feel like when your team doesn't make the playoffs and you have to sit around watching all the other fans have a great time".

We Viking fans, as of late, are way to0 failiar with that :(
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Rus wrote: To paraphrase Bill Burr from his podcast the other morning: "Bye week is like a preview of how it will feel like when your team doesn't make the playoffs and you have to sit around watching all the other fans have a great time".

No kidding. That's phrased well.

How bored am I? Bored enough to watch exhibition baseball in Japan on MLB Network. Desperate.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.