100% Speculation - C.J. Spiller Trade Rumors.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 100% Speculation - C.J. Spiller Trade Rumors.

Post by dead_poet »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Interesting takes from everyone. I appreciate everyone not ripping my head off and saying how pointless this thread was. :lol:

The way I see it, Peterson may never play for us again. IMO, Minnesota will join the masses and form a two-back system if Peterson is gone. I don't think this team will focus on having a bell-cow halfback should that scenario play out.

In my mind, going after Spiller makes sense. I know he and McKinnon are pretty similar, but Spiller is an experienced HB and not just solely an athlete. I think a two-back system of Spiller and McKinnon would create a lot of mismatch potential and open up the offense a bit more.

That being said, the possibility of this happening is essentially zero.
I do like the idea of two quick guys to help gas the defense if they can be effective. A "Lightning-Lightning" combo where you're really never sacrificing speed. You don't see that very often. An interesting approach for sure. Chip Kelly might have the closest thing to that with McCoy-Sproles. Detroit is close with Bush-Bell.

But yeah, probably not in the cards. It'll be interesting what they do next season if Peterson is gone. I'd imagine RB would be drafted in the top three our four rounds.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Dirtyswabby
Starter

Post by Dirtyswabby »

If we don't draft an LT, then I say we take a swing at Gurley.
Representing the Vikings In Raleigh, NC
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

It's hard to find nice things, but I think we have a nice thing in McKinnon. I wouldn't mind having another player to help shoulder some of the load, but I think Jerick is very capable of being a lead back. Am I alone in this thinking?
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

what we need is an OFFENSIVE LINE. This team is hilariously frustrating.
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
Gemfow
Rookie

Post by Gemfow »

Going from Peterson to Spiller is like going from a Porsche to a Ford Taurus. I'd rather wait for Peterson's trial to be over. Peerson has been running behind a line that hasn't been that great, he still gained 1200 yards last season while sitting out some games due to injury. Peterson is way too great to give up on imo.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

100% Speculation - C.J. Spiller Trade Rumors.

Post by DK Sweets »

Gemfow wrote:Going from Peterson to Spiller is like going from a Porsche to a Ford Taurus. I'd rather wait for Peterson's trial to be over. Peerson has been running behind a line that hasn't been that great, he still gained 1200 yards last season while sitting out some games due to injury. Peterson is way too great to give up on imo.
A big part of me still wants Peterson back, and I think a year off to heal nagging injuries could do wonders for his longevity. That said, recently it's really felt like he's never coming back. I held out with optimism for a long time, but there's a dark cloud forming that only seems to be getting thicker.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

frosted21 wrote:It's hard to find nice things, but I think we have a nice thing in McKinnon. I wouldn't mind having another player to help shoulder some of the load, but I think Jerick is very capable of being a lead back. Am I alone in this thinking?
No, not alone.

It's far too early to tell, but it's possible he could become a very versatile back. Like a poor man's Shady McCoy.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

frosted21 wrote:It's hard to find nice things, but I think we have a nice thing in McKinnon. I wouldn't mind having another player to help shoulder some of the load, but I think Jerick is very capable of being a lead back. Am I alone in this thinking?
No, you are not. McKinnon has way more upside than anyone at HB that is currently active. I wasn't exactly happy when we picked him in the 3rd this year, but he has shown to be more than capable. I think we may have found ourselves a great third down back for the next few seasons at least.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

Gemfow wrote:Going from Peterson to Spiller is like going from a Porsche to a Ford Taurus. I'd rather wait for Peterson's trial to be over. Peerson has been running behind a line that hasn't been that great, he still gained 1200 yards last season while sitting out some games due to injury. Peterson is way too great to give up on imo.
Yea, but going from Peterson to about 90% of the running backs in the NFL is like going from a Porsche to a FOrd Taurus.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I wouldn't be opposed to a trade, I think Buffalo has had trouble getting Spiller into the offense but part of that is because Fred Jackson has played well when given his opportunities. I'd say a 5th with some conditions to make it a 4th. McKinnon is pretty quick but he's not Spiller quick. 4.2 speed, can catch the football well, I don't know that he's an every down back but he could certainly be a good tandem in the right RBBC.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I personally don't think that Spiller is any good..... he has been with Buffalo for what 4 years? One of those years was decent when he was the focal point of the offense. I mean he hasn't even been able to beat out Fred Jackson for the full time starter spot. I would pass on this.
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

dead_poet wrote:They are very similar in size (Spiller is 5'11/200 and McKinnon is 5'9/208).
True, but two inches taller and approximately ten pounds lighter is an extreme difference in terms of body-type dynamics
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

What goes for my fantasy football teams goes for the Vikings, just say no to CJ Spiller. Ever since his injuries he just hasn't been the same explosive home run hitter and that's basically all he had going for him.

I mean think about it, when 33 year old fred jackson who you were suppose to replace 5 years ago is still showing you up that's not good... Quite frankly I'd rather just put Mckinnon out there, he's basically spiller now with WAY more upside.

Mckinnon - 41 carries - 206 yards rushing, 5.0 avg

Spiller - 68 carries - 234 yards rushing, 3.4 avg

If we really want a work horse that's not Spiller and we can draft one of those in the 3rd / 4th round.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I wouldn't give up more than a 5th for Spiller at this point. It will be very difficult for the Vikings to be competitive this year, so it doesn't make sense to mortgage the future by trading a higher draft pick than that (and even that pick is high for my tastes). Giving those reps to the young guy on the team makes more sense to me in light of where things stand today.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

There is a reason that Buffalo would trade Spiller. He is not as good as their backup. Fred Jackson has outplayed Spiller for years. Ill take Jackson over Spiller. Not that either one is going to be traded to Minny. I don't think it is a need right now.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter